TH Triple Shot - to age or not to age

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Bpatch50, May 15, 2018.

1. Bpatch50

Bpatch50 Initiate (24) Mar 27, 2018 New York

Curious why the bottle of Treehouse Triple Shot says to drink fresh and not to age. Typically Stouts age very well. Anyone know the answer to this?

2. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (157) Aug 2, 2017 New Jersey

Tough to say, I personally never age a Tree house beer regardless of style. I'd age half, drink the other half (unless you just have one bottle).

3. dvmin98

dvmin98 Site Editor (2,653) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

Probably tastes better fresher. All the Cycle stouts say drink fresh, do not age.

4. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,524) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

A general rule of aging beers is to be in the double digit range of ABV and Triple Shot hits in at 9% (at least according to the beer's profile on BA). For that reason alone, I'd keep it out of the cellar.

Another general rule for aging, is to not age beer that contains additives like coffee as they fade. If coffee flavor is not important to you, then feel free to age it. Just be aware that fresh coffee flavors sometimes age into green bell pepper flavors (which some find undesirable).

So I'd avoid aging it, but it's not my beer.

GuyFawkes, bbtkd, rozzom and 4 others like this.
  5. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (327) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Is there coffee in it? Maybe they worry about that fading... I'd listen to them and just drink it either way. Most beers are better fresh imo.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  6. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,317) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

I am siding with brewery, if they went out of the way to put drink fresh on the bottle then they did it for a reason.
    Of course you can age anything you want so if that is something you want to do go for it. I usually age higher ABV stuff like another post mentioned but that is just my choice.
    Cheers

GuyFawkes and Lahey like this.
  7. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (442) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

It has coffee. Coffee will fade. I’d say drink within like 3 months for best flavor.

8. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,856) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

This is the correct answer.

Plenty of stouts age gracefully or even improve, but I've had very, very few coffee beers that even stay even with fresh. Drink it!

Invinciblejets and GuyFawkes like this.
  9. folkstar

folkstar Initiate (89) Sep 28, 2017 Rhode Island
    Trader

should you just refrigerate a stout with coffee? or keep it in that 'cool dark cellar' until you choose to drink it?

10. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (327) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I'd refrigerate it. I would think the cooler temp would preserve the coffee longer and age the beer more slowly.

11. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,227) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

Let's not forget as coffee oxidizes it tastes like green pepper

Prince_Casual likes this.
  12. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Devotee (402) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

To someone people.

13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,227) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

youradhere likes this.
  14. youradhere