Thanks for joining us at Extreme Beer Fest in Cyberspace!

Discussion in 'Extreme Beer Fest in Cyberspace (2021)' started by Todd, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Etronsman

Etronsman Initiate (43) Jun 21, 2015 Florida
    Society

I kept telling my wife how much fun I had. It was my Christmas present from her and I just really enjoyed it. She told me I have to go back when it’s in-person.

The hybrid approach seems like a real winner moving forward. Covid or not!

Todd likes this.
  2. Lukass

Lukass Meyvn (1,410) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Society

This was great, given the situation. It was my first xtreme beer fest but won’t be my last - gonna consider this a Xmas gift from my wife in the years to come! Really enjoyed the beers I’ve had so far, couldn’t keep up with all of them in two nights but really looking forward to the last few that I have!

Todd likes this.
  3. DDiFran

DDiFran Devotee (485) Jan 20, 2015 Ohio
    Society

Really enjoyed the virtual format. Learned more about the beers and the breweries than is normally possible at in person festivals. Being steps from the home toilet and bed doesn’t hurt either. Looking forward to a return of in person events but would definitely do another virtual fest if traveling to the site just isn’t in the cards

Bluecrow and Todd like this.
  4. cjmstone100

cjmstone100 Initiate (17) Dec 13, 2020 Pennsylvania
    Society

Sign me up for the next one, and the one after that, and the one after that...... great event with amazing beers. Loved hearing what the brewers had to say about their beers.

Todd likes this.
  5. teemoney

teemoney Devotee (431) Jun 28, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

Thanks Todd and everyone, I really enjoyed this. I was thinking today that I would love to do something like this maybe once every two months or so, even when in-person events are back. The comfort and convenience of being able to participate from home are pretty nice.

Todd likes this.
  6. djpowers

djpowers Initiate (5) May 4, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

Thanks Todd and everyone involved in pulling this off! The entire event was way more fun than it had any right being. It was nice spending a solid half hour learning about and enjoying each beer as opposed to scrambling around booths to make sure we tasted everything on our list. Also great to hear from a lot of different perspectives in terms of the brewers involved. Looking forward to seeing how the event evolves in future years!

TubaTed and Todd like this.
  7. TubaTed

TubaTed Aspirant (289) Aug 4, 2017 New York
    Society

Todd, Absolutely. Do it again, sooner rather than later. After the first night I was wishing I had told more friends about it!
    I love in person events, but this was really great, and the format was awesome for someone with children and lack of ability to get away for a few days. Thanks for the curation and to half time for getting the logistics right.
    Only beer I wasn't a fan of was the Libri Divini, so I handed it to my non-beer drinking wife and said, "here is their interpretation of lemon meringue pie". Here eyes popped and she said, "I taste the graham cracker crust! This is delicious." If she says so...
    Thanks again. It really made my weekend and helped the upstate NY winter doldrums!

suspect and Todd like this.
  8. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,190) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

I am sad that I missed my first virtual fest, but family prevailed over the weekend. So glad you have the recordings up, my daughter & I will attend this weekend and see what we missed. Thanks again for doing this and looking forward to the next one.

Shanex and Todd like this.
  9. dpc166

dpc166 Disciple (391) Jan 17, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Todd, I'm probably echoing a number of responses in the thread, but I was very happy to have attended the virtual event. I've only been to very few beer festivals away from my home area and that's only because it happened to be the same time I was already traveling for vacation. This was very easy to attend rather than driving 5+ hrs round trip from the Philly area and I would like to think that a virtual event would be less cost overall for all involved and less environmental impact as well.

It was also great to have brews from places I hadn't yet heard of and surprisingly one not too far from me! It was great to 'be a fly on the wall' while you discuss the beers with each brewer and I really felt like I was part of the gang! Joe and Augie are freakin' hilarious! If I ever get out to that part of Michigan, I'm definitely going to visit Short's!

If this helps the breweries succeed, then definitely keep doing this. I like the idea of part virtual/part in person for those that can't travel that far and I love the fact that I don't have to enjoy the beers all in one night (or two) and can save them for another weekend.

Todd likes this.
  10. suspect

suspect Savant (955) Apr 12, 2010 New York
    Society

Pandemic times are weird times all around but this allowed me to gather with a neighbor, outside, in cold temps with a heater barely making a dent and still enjoy the hell out of it. It's a testament to the crew and the brewers who clearly put time and effort into making this a fun event even if we couldn't actually 'clink' the glasses together. The Zooms were fun. One suggestion may be to add in breakout rooms so the numbers can be a bit more manageable. Like - regional tasting areas (West Coast, Mid-Atlantic, etc.) or style rooms (IPAs, Stouts, etc.) or even like a crank open a cellared beer and tell us that you likely didn't open it in time room, ha.

Again, thanks for the opportunity to gather and thanks for the beers. Respect.

11. loudmacleod

loudmacleod Aspirant (239) Sep 2, 2020 Ohio
    Society Trader

Short answer is yes. Long answer is yaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuussssssss. Cheers all!

csniezek and Todd like this.
  12. Andrew_Paleales

Andrew_Paleales Initiate (126) Dec 15, 2020 New Hampshire
    Society

I would like to thank all who produced and participated in the Extreme Beer Fest: Cyberspace. It was such a nice diversion form the monotony of this pandemic. Looking forward to another fest soon! (hopefully)

Todd likes this.
  13. rdmoore56

rdmoore56 Disciple (329) Oct 15, 2014 Ohio
    Society

Thanks for the Fest for all involved, would love to do it again in the future

Todd likes this.
  14. TwoWheel

TwoWheel Disciple (350) Jan 30, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

So I have always wanted to attend one of these Fests but life always got in the way of traveling to one. So on that score.... Virtual wins. I'll also say that the "one on one" sessions with the brewers was awesome! So... two thumbs up for virtual! A hybrid event?? I'm all ears.

And seriously, echoing every one else.... Thanks to everyone involved! Awesome job!

Todd likes this.
  15. Weisenbeer

Weisenbeer Meyvn (1,284) Jan 1, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Would obviously prefer we get back to "in-person" festing....but until that can happen I am all in for another Cyber Event! Thanks Todd!

Todd likes this.
  16. The_Fridge

The_Fridge Initiate (119) Jan 11, 2021 Pennsylvania
    Society

Loved it, nice format! Virtual Brewfests, while not as out of hand crazy as live ones, may have a long term place in this world.

Todd likes this.
  17. LoriS17

LoriS17 Disciple (360) Apr 4, 2013 Arizona
    Society Trader

Thank you so much! This was a lot of fun - great beers all around, and good conversation. I love the idea of hybrid tests - I love traveling for beer fests, but the stars don't always align. I would definitely participate in sessions that were live or recorded for a virtual audience. If they were recorded, there could be a live chat to accompany. I agree with others that we need "Charlie Bomb" merch :slight_smile:

Todd likes this.
  18. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,262) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Thank you @Todd - had a great time and do hope you do more of these in the future. If you do go down that route, going to need more from Teo and Edgar - they were the best!

cryptichead, Amendm and Todd like this.
  19. BCFrog

BCFrog Devotee (428) Oct 2, 2005 New Hampshire
    Society

Yes, I would attend future online beer fests. This one reminded me of the panels and talks that I enjoyed so much at the early fests. (I know that they’re no longer feasible, but I still miss them.)

Thanks for doing this one. It was a much-needed couple of evenings of fun.

Todd likes this.
  20. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (84) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

This was a fun excuse to have a bunch of great beers, but i'm not sure i would do it again. I was lucky that one of my roommates was willing to share the beers with me because i dont think i could do 5-6 high abv full sized beers in 3 hours, let alone for 2 nights in a row. The stream was also underwhelming, a couple of the brewer interviews kept our attention, but my roommates and i often would switch to watching something else. I'm thankful to Todd and all the crew that worked on the stream for putting it all together, even if it wasnt my thing.

Todd likes this.
  21. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,190) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

@Todd a question for you. How do you think it went? Financially was it worth the effort? Did the breweries that participated, where they happy with how it went and the format? If(i hope when) you do this again, what would you change? Guess I am curious from your perspective what you thought the highs and lows were. Thanks again

RobM21 likes this.
  22. Todd

Todd Founder (6,668) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Hanging out with a bunch of friends drinking beers. I thought it was awesome, fun, informative, and much needed!
    Margins on virtual beer fests are nowhere even close to in-person beer fests. We did this for the community.
    As far as I know, everyone was happy with the format.
    I'm currently soaking in all of the great feedback. There's always room for improvement.

23. puck1225

puck1225 Poo-Bah (4,085) Dec 22, 2013 Texas
    Society Trader

I am in for the next one!

24. Protocol417

Protocol417 Initiate (5) Jan 19, 2021 Illinois
    Society

This was our first ever beer fest and it was amazing! I can't imagine trying to do this in person (we had to split day 2 into two days because it was too much) but I'd be willing to try. Thank you for doing this, it felt really personable and you could feel the love for the craft from everyone. Though I have to say: MORE WOMEN PLEASE!!!!

25. cryptichead

cryptichead Poo-Bah (1,819) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Just curious, from the financial aspect did breweries make money on this? Or was the beer donated as a marketing expense? Hopefully there is some financial incentive to keep this going for all stakeholders.

BigBdWulf likes this.
  26. Todd

Since day one, we've always paid for the beer served at our fests.

Shanex, Bluecrow, BigBdWulf and 4 others like this.
  27. Djohannsen

Djohannsen Initiate (43) Feb 12, 2014 Virginia
    Society

Most definitely! First, thank you for a wonderful event. Though I'm getting awfully tired of "virtual" events, this one was exceptionally fun - it almost felt like going out. Todd and Sam were wonderful hosts and the mix of general chat and talk about the beer/brewer being tasted was very enjoyable. Even after we are freed from the prisons of our houses, I would definitely register for a future virtual event - it's not always easy to find the time and money to get a real beer fest.

Todd likes this.
  28. dieselboy973

dieselboy973 Initiate (21) Jul 9, 2019 New Jersey
    Society

Really well done, Sam makes a great co-host. It would be cool if there were Zoom hangouts with the brewers so you could ask questions with them direct.

Todd likes this.
  29. RichNLove

RichNLove Initiate (16) Jan 13, 2021 Pennsylvania
    Society

We do ALOT of in person beer fests. We very much enjoyed this one and would be interested in doing another similar Virtual beer fest. Although we love to travel, the convenience of this was great. Great beers, and hearing directly from the brewers is something you don't always get to do at an in person Fest.

Todd likes this.
  30. bmiraski

bmiraski Aspirant (273) Feb 6, 2018 Illinois
    Society

This was super convenient and I really enjoyed being able to hang with my friends on a zoom and share the feed and chat while we were enjoying the beers. It is unlikely we all could have made a remote trip for this. And man, the beers were great, especially the lineup on Day 2.

31. Pinz412

Pinz412 Zealot (570) Nov 20, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I just wanna say congrats and thanks to @Todd, @FBarber and any other mods that worked on the Extreme Beer Fest over the weekend. It far exceeded my expectations. The beers were all very interesting and often great, the presentation was flawless, and I loved checking in with the brewers. @SamCalagione was entertaining as could be, and I'm now trying to figure out how to support all of the brewers involved as much as possible. I'd love to see another BA virtual fest and would definitely participate. Thanks, all!

Bluecrow, Todd and FBarber like this.
  32. Mexican_Viking_Domerdoc

Mexican_Viking_Domerdoc Initiate (148) Jan 12, 2021 Texas
    Society Trader

Please do another virtual brew fest again!!! My husband and I had such an awesome time!!
    It was super convenient to chill in our home with our kids; no sitter needed!
    Felt like our real first date in a while--drinking awesome beers, sitting, listening, and talking beers. Thank you so much!! Salud!

33. KurtJBigalke

KurtJBigalke Initiate (10) Feb 4, 2021 Wisconsin
    Society

There absolutely should be more of these. The beer selection was great. No traveling.
    No waiting in line. I'm a true believer that you can not properly judge a beer with a two ounce sampler. Sitting by the fireplace with a laptop following along with the brewers at your own pace.
    Using your own bathroom during breaks. Excellent experience all the way around.

Bluecrow, RichNLove and Todd like this.
  34. jcoleMA66

jcoleMA66 Champion (838) May 16, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

Thanks @Todd and the BA crew for organizing this awesome event. Having been to a few of your previous EBFs, I was a little skeptical about how it would translate into a virtual event but I was pleased with how it all came together and had a blast. The variety of beers you selected for the event was pretty cool - definitely not all one-note. That's one of my favorite things about EBF - it's not all IPAs or sours or stouts etc. Plus wasn't limited to 2 oz. pours so really had a chance to experience the beers. Also really enjoyed getting to hear from the brewers and hearing their stories! By the way, Sam is friggin' hysterical! LMAO when he forgot is own beer! :grin: Looking forward to more of these!

35. ctninh

ctninh Initiate (43) Jul 14, 2014 California
    Society

Thanks for making this happen!

Todd likes this.
  36. Levich

Levich Devotee (452) Nov 14, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

While not as good as an in-person festival, I would definitely do it again. I could envision BA hybrid fests in the future where there was a feature stage at the fest that could be webcast or something like that. Great job by all!

Todd likes this.
  37. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (11,420) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

We absolutely loved it. The beers were great, the videos from the brewers were fun and informative, and the live stream and boards was great for the ba community. Would happily do again, we had a blast!
    Thanks to everyone who made this possible, I'm sure there was a ton of work behind the scenes! Thanks for adapting and coordinating in order to create a real highlight during a hard time for everyone.

Shanex, Britt, Todd and 1 other person like this.
  38. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,574) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

Now that its in the books, @Todd - did the attendance and feedback justify the potential of doing another\more virtual fests? Were it modeled like this one, I'd certainly sign up!

Todd likes this.
  39. Todd

We sold out, thousands tuned in, and the feedback has been awesome. I'd love to do another one.

Britt, Shanex, jcoleMA66 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.