Thanksgiving Beer Pairings (2019)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mebuzzard, Nov 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,883) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

What do you pair during Thanksgiving meals?

For the main course, I usually go with a dry German Riesling since carbonation fills me up too quickly. Although, a nice Kolsch could persuade me. I do find that German styles are best since they are mostly clean and "uncomplicated".

If there's a brown or amber, I'll go with that next. Last year I went with Telluride Brewery's Face Down Brown.

What do y'all plan on drinking?

2. alucard6679

alucard6679 Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Alsace Gewurztraminer or Burgundy Brut Rose if we're going the wine route, but for beer I dig a good brown or amder on Thanksgiving

Amendm, Gemini6, Premo88 and 5 others like this.
  3. CityofWind_brew

CityofWind_brew Devotee (412) Jan 15, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

As a tradition, I always crack the previous years BCBS

4. alucard6679

alucard6679 Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

That sounds good. Last year I had a BCBS with Thanksgiving leftovers the next day and it hit the spot

Genuine, Amendm, benzodrums and 3 others like this.
  5. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,893) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

For many years before I retired I'd travel over to/near Wisconsin and pick up some bottles of the New Glarus fruity sour Belgians. I finally emptied my stash a few years ago but haven't been anywhere near WI to get more of the NG beers. So I've just looked locally for a substitute without success for anything as good. I can't even recall my selections since the last NG was drunk. The acid character of those NG beers did a great job cutting thru all that fat in the T-Day meal and providing a great fruit flavor that went very well with the flavors of the meal.

archiebunkerjr, JMN44, Amendm and 6 others like this.
  6. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,853) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

So many different tastes going on between all of the sides that I've just settled on doing the saison thing. This year I may grab a bunch of either Plan Bee Barn Beer or Dupont, depending on how funky I'm feeling at the time.

7. Cait612

Cait612 Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2019 Pennsylvania

I might be weird but I'm not a huge fan of drinking while I eat. I prefer my beer before or after dinner. And I try to save some pumpkins/fall beers for Turkey Day.

This year I have Rogue Pumpkin Patch Ale, Southern Tier Nitro Pumking, Bolero Snort Pumpkin Spice Moochiato and Barrier Kickin Knowledge: Pumpkin.

8. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,331) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

I prefer a nice fruit beer for the appetizer course, a light style for the main course, and a rich stout to go with dessert. For this year I've got Phantom Carriage Broadacres, Smog City Quihote Quotes, and BCBS Orange.

9. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,630) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Funny enough I’ve never had a beer for Xmas, wine only.

10. Cait612

Cait612 Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2019 Pennsylvania

Wow! If you like stout find a nice one and have it with/for dessert and it's like wine, but better

nc41 likes this.
  11. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,289) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I always enjoy some Beaujolais Nouveau....and always always Celebration Ale...although I cant FIND it this year....

GreenBayBA and alucard6679 like this.
  12. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,475) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

With dinner, a good Saison, usually Ommegang's Hennepin. I used to drink wine but since I drink beer before and after, why switch?

13. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2014 California

Ommegang Three Philosophers...every year.

14. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,840) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Not exactly considered a "brown" but permit me to suggest a Belgian Dubbel.

Cheers!

Gemini6, FBarber, alucard6679 and 2 others like this.
  15. nc41

Society Trader

I’ve got a few great Stouts in the fridge, I usually feel so full from all the eating I never think beer.

Cait612 likes this.
  16. Clibb

Clibb Initiate (67) Jun 23, 2013 New Jersey

Always try do do a dry saison. DuPont since it is easy to find.
    Another option that works well for me is Orval.

sharpski, Gemini6, Ronmarley1 and 4 others like this.
  17. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (3,059) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

I know that pumpkin beers are not all the rage around here but I'll be serving the last of my Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale during the main course along with wine options.

For dessert - Avery Rumpkin.

JMN44, Lucular, KRug and 4 others like this.
  18. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,848) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

This really depends on where I’m enjoying the feast and when. My wife’s family doesn’t start crazy early but still in mid afternoon. My own family still serves dinner at 6 or so, sometimes later. With the inlaws the females (including my wife who is a beer drinking champ) for whatever reason start the day with mimosas while working in the kitchen; I slowly start drinking beer and lending a hand. Usually pause during the meal as I’ve acquired a pleasant buzz by then and it’s onto the big stouts and barley wines for dessert and after.

we have enjoyed the shelfie HF saisons a lot with the meal but the high carbonation does not always help matters even if the acid does.

Genuine, Gemini6, rozzom and 2 others like this.
  19. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,848) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

You remind me I have a few old bottles of lakefront brandy barrel pumpkin in the cellar, might be about time to drink those this year. Wonder how they’ve held up considering they were quite strong, boozy and syrupy early on.

rozzom likes this.
  20. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,805) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

Talk about seasonal creep... :smirk:

As for Thanksgiving, if I get stuck at home I will probably put the snack down on all the FFF I have left from GABF. Maybe some BA darkness for a digestif.

Genuine, Gemini6, Bitterbill and 2 others like this.
  21. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (3,059) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

I've had the Lakefront fresh and with both 1 year and 2 years of age on it.

I thought the freshie was way too hot. The alcohol was still pretty bold after one year. It mellowed a bunch after two years. The vanilla definitely died down over time too - which was a plus for me because I think that it was too overdone in the fresh version.

I cellared a total of eight bottles a couple years ago and found that two of them went bad (really sour tasting, and one smelled awful).

On balance, I like the Lakefront BA Pumpkin but I have not seen any here in PA for two years.

JMN44, SABERG and tobelerone like this.
  22. Ffenski

Ffenski Initiate (119) Apr 24, 2008 Ohio

I like the idea in the OP of something "clean and uncomplicated." But is it "pairing" when you try to complement the flavors of a beer or two to a meal with about 9 different foods (bringing a multiple of tastes)? Are you drinking a beer with every side? I think the posts reflect more of "what special beer do I want to share with everybody" at Thanksgiving than "wow this blonde ale really accentuates the french-fried onions in the green bean casserole". Disclaimer: I do a small tasting at Thanksgiving that has nothing to do with the foods being served so I have multiple flavors flying around all day.

alucard6679 and Mebuzzard like this.
  23. nc41

Society Trader

I happen to have a bottle of BA Darkness, no one else will drink it, so it’s a commitment to open one. Looking forward to that beer.

Sheppard, Bitterbill and SFACRKnight like this.
  24. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (496) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Saw this thread last night and after much consideration, I’ll be drinking everything.

Our forefathers wouldn’t want it any other way.

jglenn73, KRug, matthewp and 7 others like this.
  25. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (249) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Several Coors Lights
    Followed by cheap red wine
    Finished with B and B Liqueur

Such is Thanksgiving with the in-laws, but hey, I don't have to cook or buy anything so Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving!

#25 thedaveofbeer, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    KRug, Gemini6, Glider and 8 others like this.
  26. ktr5010

ktr5010 Aspirant (218) Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Probably a breakfast stout in the morning with breakfast. Some IPAs while making stuff. Likely Cabernet with the meal and then something barrel aged from Rev or Goose after.

Bitterbill and FBarber like this.
  27. JediMasterLenin

JediMasterLenin Disciple (324) Dec 25, 2018 District of Columbia

No plans as of yet for what will be consumed during the day, but with the Thanksgiving meal (as well as Christmas) I like to treat myself to some Duchesse du Bourgogne. Fantastic in its own right, and pairs well with food... it's also "appropriately" wine-like.

Clibb, keithmurray and ManBearPat like this.
  28. NYRunner

NYRunner Initiate (71) Nov 5, 2018 New York

Me too. Our host & hostess always put out a delicious selection of wines, but no beer. Oh well, I'm adaptable!

nc41 and thesherrybomber like this.
  29. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (496) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Can’t imagine showing up for any gathering empty handed, matter the less thanksgiving :rolling_eyes:

Bitterbill likes this.
  30. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,883) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

I stick with the "uncomplicated" or "unencumbered" beers as I feel they pair well with everything on my plate. I usually only get bird, taters, gravy, and corn for the meal (ole Kansas boy at heart). Throughout the day I'll grab other sides and beverages.

ManBearPat likes this.
  31. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,682) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

We tend to start with a lambic (fruited but non-sweetened) around 11.
    That's followed by a dual-pairing with dinner. Usually something like a hoppy milder stout, dubbel, or brown ale. The other is something sweeter and lighter. New Glarus fruit beers are the easy choice when I have them on hand. If not, Casey's fruit-heavy items work.
    The closer is something big in the evening. A quad, big stout, or doppelbock.

EDIT: Another item we've done the last 2 years is a Haykin Cider. Those tend to be pretty sweet and very heavy on the apple notes.

SABERG, Bitterbill and PapaGoose03 like this.
  32. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,983) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

I have 2 fresh hop saisons by Holler in the fridge now that I am saving for the meal, I am going to grab 2 of their Fruited saisons this weekend for desert. After the meal I plan on opening a Rodenbach Caractère Rouge and a Szech 'n Brett to share.
    note: the saisons are to share also, can't pound 4 beers with a meal :slight_smile:

sharpski and Bitterbill like this.
  33. not2quick

not2quick Zealot (593) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I've had many a NG with thanksgiving dinner. Really easy to get non- beer drinking family members a pleasant surprise. Haven't had many people not like Belgium Red or Raspberry tart. Cran-bic is my favorite for the occasion though. This year I believe I'll open some mead. Schramms the statement.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  34. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,893) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I just recalled one of the beers that I've used as a substitute for the NG sours. It's The Kasteel Rouge (https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/212/38795/) did a fine job last year, and it seems like it's always available at my store. I think that's going to be my pick again.

(Apparently I didn't read the label last year, or maybe the info isn't there, but I was surprised to read the Notes on the BA page here today that says it's Kasteel's Belgian Quad (Donker) blended with a cherry liquor.)

Bitterbill and not2quick like this.
  35. GeauxTigers13

GeauxTigers13 Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2019 Maine

Sticking to my traditional Anna paired with my Thanksgiving meal. Maybe crack an Allagash Coolship Red with leftovers, or second serving

SABERG and not2quick like this.
  36. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Disciple (340) Nov 23, 2008 New York

Last year I had a 750 of De Ranke XXX Bitter with dinner. This year it'll be General Store, a bier de garde by Suarez - if I can make the trip up this weekend. :grimacing: If not, it'll be some St. Bernardus Prior 8 and/or Weihenstephaner Vitus. Pre-dinner, probably 1-2 Zero Gravity Green State lagers. With dessert, something chosen from my very modest cellar stash of big brews (stouts, barleywines, old ales).

Invinciblejets and Bitterbill like this.
  37. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania

Whatever my uncle decides to put on tap, and ofc I will bring some Sierra Nevada Celebration

38. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (249) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Trust me- I would happily bring some better drink options. I even did once... The ridicule was resounding. Bringing a dessert or side dish would be viewed as grave insult by my wife's aunt. That is how they roll. Also, please leave your judgment at your own thanksgiving table; I will have enough of it at mine.

KRug, matthewp and Cashbail like this.
  39. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,147) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I like a beer to start pre-meal and during my first plate of food. Once I start to get into my second plate of high carbs/heavy gravy and on the plus side of 2,000 calories into my plate of food...my appetite for any/all beer falls off really quickly. Then my nephew from down south always brings a pecan pie that I absolutely love for dessert...that alone is 1000 calories a slice. Add a slice of pumpkin pie with whip cream for tradition. I usually just end up rolling around and moan in discomfort for 12 hrs or so afterwards. I love my Thanksgiving food a little more than my fancy beers I guess.

jglenn73, KRug and Harrison8 like this.
  40. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (4,231) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I've got a cranberry Weiss from Crane brewing that I want to crack. Other than that, probably just some pale lagers.

Harrison8 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.