The $10 Six-pack "Challenge"

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lambpasty, May 19, 2016.

?

Could you limit yourself to a $50/month beer budget?

1. Yes

168 vote(s)
    64.1%
  2. No

94 vote(s)
    35.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Defender (600) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut
    Society

$17 a case for SN? You need to let me know where you shop. Great price.

meefmoff likes this.
  2. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,677) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

When the world tells you to simplify, you should listen- beer tastes a lot better when it's stress-free :wink:.

3. lambpasty

lambpasty Devotee (426) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

Yeah see, cutting back on my bourbon and cigar habit is going to be a whole other project :grinning:

meefmoff likes this.
  4. rypkr

rypkr Champion (899) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Long trail is extremely economical and near you. Here in pa a case of their "double bag" altbier is $23-24.

lambpasty likes this.
  5. ChittyChambers

ChittyChambers Aspirant (266) Jan 12, 2016 Maryland
    Trader

Near my work there is a liquor store that takes 10 percent off beer on Thursdays. If I had too I could get a 30 of Narragansett lager for 14 pretax and milk that all month along with the few beers out here and there.

lambpasty likes this.
  6. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,331) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Firstly, good luck to you. Secondly, the above is they key phrase imo. It's hype which causes many to spend $10+ on an IPA bomber, $15+ on an BA bomber and $15+ on a 4pk of IPA tallboys. Many times on beers they've yet to have. I can count numerous times I've been underwhelmed by the hyped beer du jour. Also, tickers are quite irrational. Not sure if you are a ticker though.

If you are just interested in having good beer then yes your parameters are certainly achievable. Hopefully they have mix packs in your area where you can mix it up a bit but as others have mentioned there are plenty of quality craft beers which can be had for your monthly budget. I take a look at the Beer Hauls thread and it's shocking to me how much folks spend on beer. Yeah it's their right to spend their money as they see fit but it's still quite shocking nonetheless. Even 2600 a year on beer (50 per week) which I'm certain is easily exceeded by many seems a bit much to me. Anyway, good luck again.

joe1510, SFACRKnight and TongoRad like this.
  7. anglagard1

anglagard1 Initiate (190) Nov 17, 2010 Wisconsin

When I was raising kids I drank Old Style and still had to watch my intake so I didn't go over budget. Now that I'm not responsible for young children I drink better beer but still go for bargains. When you have young children who are dependent on you, you do whatever the hell you have to do, and craft beer is definitely a luxury. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I can drink better beer, I'm glad I'm not in that situation now, but in the long run it's a small sacrifice.

Dandrewjohn and lambpasty like this.
  8. Sir_Whats-his-face

Sir_Whats-his-face Initiate (157) Mar 2, 2015 Oregon

I guess how easy this would be to pull off depends on where you live. Out here, I'd wager that 90% of craft six packs are between $8 and $10, and I'd honestly be surprised if I spend that much more than $50 a month on beer.

chimneyjim likes this.
  9. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,385) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I try to stay under $20 a week too. Its the growlers that get me. All the really good stuff is still on tap.

10. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Devotee (471) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

I could probably do it, but it would get boring. I thrive on variety and buy a lot of single bottles. I could do $100 a month and still enjoy myself.

11. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Meyvn (1,021) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

Could, and do. (usually)
    In addition to those mentioned, most Ithaca & Ommegang offerings are $8.99/pk here, though Ommegang's are mostly 4-pks. The beer store that I go to, often has clearance stuff right outside the door*, deeply discounted. I don't usually partake, as I don't want a whole case of anything. I see they just started mixing some of those. Not all are long-keepers, but some are. Maybe you can find similar deals where you are?

*It's in the shade of an old gas station canopy, & being upstate NY, plenty chill enough most of the time. ; )

12. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,254) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Not a problem for me. I have enough wine in my cellar to keep me occupied for a year.

Marklaker likes this.
  13. Relik

Relik Initiate (116) Apr 20, 2011 Nova Scotia (Canada)

its possible, i should probably start taking low fills home from canning days ( that would go a long way)

14. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,317) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

You get founders and sixpoint for less than 10? Dam. Theyre both around $12+ here. Resin is 15 or 16 in some placrs but i do believe the crisp is 10.

And good luck. I live with in laws currently and am buying cheapest beer possible. Rough sometimes because you NEED a beer at some points.

lambpasty likes this.
  15. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,033) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

It would be difficult but it could be done.

16. mambossa

mambossa Devotee (403) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

I'm still young, joined the workforce instead of college, a steady lady and no children *knock on wood*. I'm worth my weight in gold, but given any financial circumstances I would gladly settle for a 12pk of Black Label, Miller, or Strohs if need be.

anglagard1 likes this.
  17. Hoppy_Time

Hoppy_Time Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2016 Maine

Whew... I don't keep track of how much I spend on beer but I went back in my bank account 1 month and I've spent about $400, partly because of my trip to Mass though. I really don't drink that much, 1 or 2 beers a night but I do drink some expensive beers, like $10 a bottle for some of them, and I'm also pretty generous about sharing with a couple close friends of mine who don't make anywhere near as much as I do. I have two under two so I don't drink to the point of being drunk, but I make enough that they have everything they need and I still get to drink some good beer. If I had to cut back my spending I would probably drink Sierra Nevada, Long Trail, Dogfish Head, Smuttynose, Sebago, Baxter, and recently available to me Firestone Walker, which are all under $10 a six. I'd also probably drink more Sam Adams, sometimes I don't understand why they get so much grief on here, because some of their beers are similar in price and quality to Sierra Nevada or Lagunitas. My local grocery store has a decent selection of craft beers that can be built into $9.99 sixers, I can get all the brewers mentioned above plus Shed, Waterfront, Sea Dog, Saranac, Stone, Geary's, Gritty's, and some others If I need to mix it up.

18. Pantalones

Pantalones Devotee (450) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

$50/month??? That's probably more than I spend on beer now, at least for most months. Drinking one (or two at most) per day probably helps with that.

Though I'll probably go over that mark the next time I buy beer this month, considering that I actually bought a couple of bombers for once rather than just six-packs or variety-packs (and lately my six-packs have been lighter easy-to-drink-a-lot-of sorts of beers, generally in the under-5% abv range, so they go away a bit quicker than the beers I was buying more of in previous months.)

19. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

You can but that is stretching. Really because lets say every time you have beer you will have two. And the sixer you want is not always ten dollars.

VABA and lambpasty like this.
  20. Marklaker

Marklaker Zealot (562) Jun 5, 2014 Florida

Could, yes. Would, no. Then again, you have reason, I don't.....double entendre intended.

VABA likes this.
  21. lambpasty

Narragansett is definitely another that will be on my list, most of their six packs are $7.99 for 6 pint cans around me.

I think there is a small part of me that knows I should cut back on my intake a little - don't get me wrong, I'm not a 24-pack-a-week drinker, but 1-2 on weeknights and 3+ on the weekend days adds up. Combine that with my terrible sleep schedule and recent laziness with the gym and I know I've got a recipe to be looking at a much, ah, more rotund version of myself in the near future if I'm not careful. I think after a month or so of doing this I'm going to find myself drinking less overall, and appreciating the beers I do have a little bit more.

#61 lambpasty, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
    cjgiant, frozyn and utopiajane like this.
  22. lambpasty

Yeah the MB on 28 in Salem next to Home Depot is a go-to for me, they almost always have fresh SN 12-pack cans for ~$13 as well as some other good deals.

23. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,165) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

@lambpasty I would buy beers from breweries such as these, even Sam Adams, and follow this advice.

More importantly, I would take this as an opportunity to gain a better appreciation of the more subtle styles. Hefeweizens, Pilsners, Helles, non-imperial stouts, English ales...etc. tend to cost far less than your local 4 pack of a 16 oz. IPA.

I could happily rock 6/12 packs of Notch's Pils/Saison, Smutty's Hayseed, and Sierra Nevada's Summerfest all season long.

Jaycase, lambpasty and TongoRad like this.
  24. Rajaholick

Rajaholick Initiate (155) Jan 9, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

I did $50/month for a while. There are great bottle shops in the twin cities that have huge singles collections.
    Do it with cash, too east to lose track with credit cards and it keeps you honest.
    This lasted for me until I got into BA stouts....

25. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Disciple (328) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire

Swing over the border to NH and Market Basket has 10-11 dollar 12 pack sales each week. Something is usually worth while.

Bluecrow and lambpasty like this.
  26. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (530) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Urquell 12-packs are also reasonable ($16-18) and can be found fresh regularly now.

TongoRad and AlcahueteJ like this.
  27. elucas730

elucas730 Initiate (146) Feb 5, 2010 New York

For me, cutting it out altogether would be easier. I'm in this for the discovery, for the experience, and for the community. Buying cases of the same beer and sitting at home drinking alone just to drink or to get a buzz or to self medicate doesn't appeal to me. At that point, it stops being a hobby and starts becoming something else.

28. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,059) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I do have a question for people who mention Costco: do you have to be a member to go into the liquor store? I know Sam's Club you don't.

29. tillmac62

tillmac62 Poo-Bah (1,783) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Society Trader

If I had to, sure. But since I don't...

30. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,165) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

This is a myopic view of the situation.

With the amounts the OP is drinking, it doesn't sound like he would be getting much of a buzz and/or self-medicating.

Just because you drink less, choose to drink at home, and drink "cheaper" beer, doesn't mean you're relegated to just one beer or even style of beer. Moreover, having multiple beers during a session of a more subtle style can yield an even greater experience than sipping on one "flavor bomb". It might take a few pints to truly discover all the nuances and flavors in some lower ABV styles.

I completely empathize with going out to a bar, beer fest, and/or event, socializing and experiencing all that is this lovely hobby. But just because you sit at home and drink a beer or three, doesn't make it any less of a hobby or experience if that's what you enjoy doing.

meefmoff, frozyn, utopiajane and 2 others like this.
  31. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,677) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I may as well put in a plug for DAB as well - a great value for $6.99 a sixer of pint cans.

Lately I've been getting Kostrizer Schwarzbier, Bitburger and Benediktiner Helles for $4.99 a four pack of pint cans, although that was probably just a distributor dump and won't be that cheap again. Still, worth looking out for.

I love having stuff like that handy and never regret buying it - something I can't always say about 'craft ' beers.

AlcahueteJ and lambpasty like this.
  32. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (239) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

Posting to watch thread. I used to spend about 40 bucks every two weeks on beer, but it has caught up with me. No longer can I buy a variety pack plus a few bombers (Thanks Wicked Weed for pumping out new sours weekly...) and a baby single or two. It sucks to have a less full fridge. But my wallet is more full. I just bought trader joes coffee FFS :slight_frown:

33. Davidstan

Davidstan Aspirant (276) May 24, 2014 Alabama

I do 25.00 a week so 100.00 a month should be doable for most folks. 50.00 per month would take me out of the craft world and into Nascar drinking

34. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (157) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

Hell no. Not even close.

fx20736 likes this.
  35. tjwarren

tjwarren Disciple (345) Dec 31, 2008 Ohio

Me too - a buying problem - I love the merry clank of beer bottles in the car.

36. tjwarren

tjwarren Disciple (345) Dec 31, 2008 Ohio

In order to be happy I could live on Brooklyn Lager and Two Hearted alone if need be and not suffer. At 9 beers a week that would run me about $60 per month. I figure I am worth the extra $10.

37. Blinkyoureyes

Blinkyoureyes Aspirant (209) Aug 28, 2015 Tennessee
    Trader

I had to save for a trip to Europe and survived on 15 packs of All Day IPA for a few months.

38. DirtyDawg10

DirtyDawg10 Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2016 Connecticut

My Son told me yesterday that if I didn't spend so much money on beer we would be millionaires...lol...sounds like he's been talking to his Mom about this. I could probably spend a lot less on beer than I do but I don't have any plans to change that right now. Variety is the spice of life, especially when talking about beer.

Victory_Sabre1973 likes this.
  39. dcall384

dcall384 Aspirant (286) Aug 9, 2011 Indiana

I am currently on a craft break. The wife and I have plans of doing home improvement stuff and saving for a kid in the future. Now I buy a case of some type of AAL (I don't mind them.) and a six pack of a craft that is $10 or less. This tends to last me the whole month. I drink a good beer, then sip on a few AAL's. Sometimes the only thing I have to buy the next month is another $10 six pack. Also lost about 10lbs not drinking so much craft. :grinning:

40. Andy1010

Andy1010 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2016 Indiana

I typically grab a case of Bud or PBR and variety pack of something like SN and maybe a pick 6 or two and that keeps me under $50 easily. Drinking some PBR primarily and mixing in the craft beers occasionally keeps the budget low. If I wasn't on a budget I would just buy SN and some local beers by the case!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.