The 50 Best Beers of 2018 (Vinepair)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tinoynk, Dec 5, 2018.

1. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (59) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

Kind of a weird list. I get that today it's tough to appeal to both the craft drinkers going getting limited releases at their local brewery and those who are more casual about their purchasing, but it seems strange to include stuff like Hazy Little Thing and Left Hand Milk Stout along with beers from Other Half and Hudson Valley.

Anyway, here's the article.

drtth, Amendm, TongoRad and 3 others like this.
  2. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,389) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

I had 6 of them and am now ripping up my beer card. I am so lowly to not have had more of them.
    :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

3. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (78) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

The list's are absolutely pointless IMHO.

4. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Meyvn (1,028) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

At least I managed 4 of them, although not all this year.

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,712) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

An ‘interesting’ list in that it is not just comprised of Juicy/Hazy IPAs, Pastry Stouts, Barrel Aged beers,…

There is even a light beer on the list (Night Shift) and a Mexican Lager (which is really an AAL beer).

Cheers!

6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,203) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

Got ya beat at 7, lol!

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  7. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,884) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

I was going to say, I was pretty low, and then hit a big streak there towards the end. I've had around 9-10 of those life time. I nearly bought the Nite Lite when in NYC after all the discussion on it when it was released, but passed. Could've made it to 20% of the list! Darn!

I picked up #6 in NYC and did not enjoy it. I rated it nearly 5% higher than the BA averaged score too, leading me to believe others enjoyed it even less. Interesting to read it getting such high praises.

The description for Woods & Water is apt. Possibly my favorite Maine Beer offering. Edgy west coast hoppy bitterness soothed by a touch of citrus.

Intriguing list at the very least.

TongoRad and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  8. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Aspirant (221) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

I've had:
    1) Bell's Two Hearted (Last had this ~2 years ago)
    2) Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro (Last had this >2 years ago)
    3) Perennial Hopfentea - (Drank this a couple of times last year and the year before, and it's my overall favorite beer from them)

Ryan4120 likes this.
  9. zid

zid Savant (917) Feb 15, 2010 New York

I never really understood why lists called “The 50 Best Beers of 2018” (for example) have beers first released in any given year. If Kramer vs. Kramer gets a special edition blu ray release in 2018, is it elligible to win the best picture oscar again? Why not include SNPA instead of Hazy Little Thing then? These things just feel like “50 beers our writers really liked and happened to drink in 2018”... which is fine, but there’s less value in it than “best beers” or “best new releases.”

10. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,257) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium

Why can't they wait until 2018 is over before compiling the 'best of 2018' list? I'm planning a 2019 new year resolution to not read any more lists, and that would have kept me from reading this one. Just to spite them I didn't read any of the ads! :slight_smile:

Lucular, Amendm, dcotom and 4 others like this.
  11. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (386) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

But two hearted and jai alai are shelf turdz!!:wink:

12. Harrison8

Premium Trader

I always think it's minimally interesting, or maybe more so - entertaining - to see what a specific publication labels as the 'best' for that year. It doesn't really amount to much for me in terms of tangible data or usefulness, instead offering up a little novelty.

@zid

Amendm, Bitterbill, jrc1093 and 2 others like this.
  13. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,389) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

Totally agree. If these are the best of 2018 it would be nice if they were made in 2018 then. Have then done a best beer from each state yet? That would be interesting to see the top pick of 2018 for each state...

Amendm and Bitterbill like this.
  14. scream

scream Defender (632) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

I've had 2 and recognized a few more. They say these are accessible. I wonder how they define that ?

15. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (282) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Stoudt's Gearshift or whatever it's called was not very good and I had it at around 2 weeks old.

16. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (428) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

5 for me... esoteric sh!t list

17. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,033) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

Hazy Little Thing @ #1? Seriously? It wasn't even the best NEIPA from a large nationally distributed brewer*, let alone the best beer overall.

* That would be Sam Adams New England IPA

thesherrybomber and Amendm like this.
  18. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,504) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Nite Lite is a nice beer, provided you take it on its own terms. It's probably not worth NYC-Single Can prices, though :sunglasses:.

Bitterbill and Harrison8 like this.
  19. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,105) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Trader

I've had two and heard of four others.

20. TheGent

TheGent Meyvn (1,394) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

Serious question, should I know what Vinepair is?

21. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,301) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Trader

Unbelievably I’ve had 14 of these! Mad beer cred over he-yah with the VinePair crowd. As in, grow a vinepair.

22. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,001) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

Interesting "Best Of" list, since I've never even heard of most of them. At least the page was presented in a real honest-to-goodness "list" format, i.e. none of this slideshow crap.

23. Leftofthedial

Leftofthedial Disciple (367) Nov 17, 2011 California
    Trader

The article claims that in 2018, Drie Fonteinen debuted a new bottle design for Oude Geuze. That is simply not true. The first Oude Geuze with the new bottle design was from November 2016. Even if you're talking about when the new bottles made their way to the US, that was still in 2017. Regardless, Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze is lightyears beyond any of the other wilds/sours/spontaneous beers on the list and it is just bizarre to see it ranked at #32.

Lucular and Amendm like this.
  24. goingbrokeonbeer

goingbrokeonbeer Meyvn (1,329) Dec 4, 2013 South Carolina
    Premium Trader

I’m surprised I’ve had ten of them.

Amendm likes this.
  25. Amendm

Amendm Disciple (348) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Premium

I've tried 10% of um.
    Two Hearted
    Boom Sauce
    Jai Alai
    Copper Legend
    Woods & Waters (before I joined BA and started reviewing).

Woods & Waters is not new.
    The article states “ This new IPA from Maine Beer Co.”
    This beer was added on 9/26/16??!!

26. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (1,877) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

I've had 9, mostly from the big breweries (SN, Left Hand, Maine, Bell's, Firestone Walker, Perennial). As others have said, this list is an odd mix of super-easy-to-obtain and very limited releases, old standbys and new beers.

You did not enjoy it and yet rated it 4.05?!

Harrison8 likes this.
  27. Harrison8

Premium Trader

It was still dry and ticked many of the 'brut IPA' qualities, netting it a good performance. Its aroma carried it, but I thought the flavor profile was weak and a little off. Probably should've bumped that number down a touch (taste).

28. NYRunner

NYRunner Initiate (26) Nov 5, 2018 New York

I'm glad Bells Two-Hearted, Jai Alai and Industrial Arts Wrench made the list, though I confess that I didn't know about most of the rest. I'll have to work on it in 2019!

29. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,277) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

A respectablly balance list and some beers /breweries that weren't on my radar that I'll do some research on and maybe look to do a trade with someone that can get them. I'm glad I found a bottle of "Farm to Face" by Allagash and have it in my cellar. Got to say the SN Hazy Little Thing was a good #1 choice considering the boom in NEIPAs and fact they have them out everywhere and a decent made one at that.

30. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (104) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

Wow, a "best of" list that isn't 100% IPA/DIPA's haze bombs.

31. marquis

marquis Crusader (760) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

There are so many beers being brewed and so many changes that it is impossible for any organisation or person to give an overview. These lists are compiled from such a small proportion of what is available as to be valueless.
    Also, beer drinking is a matter of personal taste. To me the best beer in the world is the one I enjoyed the most from my limited experience. I would be surprised if other drinkers would agree with my choice.

32. Dweedlebug

Dweedlebug Disciple (331) Feb 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

22 out of 50 are some type of pale ale / IPA.

I find it amusing that Stoudts would make this list with an IPA when they are really known for their traditional German style beers.

drtth likes this.
  33. rozzom

rozzom Crusader (730) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

This is a list of 50 beers that existed in 2018. Nothing more. So random and nonsensical.

The “rule” acknowledging that there were some hard to find beers, but that they were allowed because it was “possible to procure them even if you’re not in that city or state” - wtf does that mean? Surely any beer in the country is in play then? If HVB Amulet made the list what is considered inaccessible?

Also most of the harder ones were NY based. Maybe convenient for the writer(s)

Another lazy BS list

NeroFiddled likes this.
  34. moshea

moshea Devotee (463) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

The main goal of any web based list is not to rank beers but rather to drive traffic

Troutbeerbum and hopfenunmaltz like this.
  35. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,335) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

What a waste of time. They can't even be creative with it? The Best of 2018? Bullshit. Firstly I'd like them to stop using the word best, or are there actually idiots who believe this crap? Secondly I'd like them to write about something more interesting, like "the most expensive beers" or "50 beers with coconut" or "classic beers you might have missed". This pointless driven isn't even done well. Tack it on the wall next to the other two or three dozen lists that have come out this year and you wouldn't even notice it. Beer is a hot topic right now that gets attention, why dumb it down?

Bitterbill, Troutbeerbum and rozzom like this.
  36. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (96) Dec 5, 2016 Maine

I smell sarcasm.
    Daily Dose is a shelf turd. No sarcasm.

37. Troutbeerbum

They are for sale. Somewhere.

38. SpruceFish

SpruceFish Aspirant (201) Jan 18, 2009 California
    Trader

Ugh Hazy Little Thing, there are better wildly distributed IPAs and Hazies for that matter.

39. Troutbeerbum

At this very moment someone is walking up and down the aisles of a beer shop alternating between looking at the list on their phone and looking at the shelves.

40. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (449) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts

One word.

Boomsauce.