The Alchemist (2020)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by Davl22, Mar 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (469) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Good to see HotW reopen last week. No HT on tap yet but cans are fresh and tasty.
    [​IMG]

2. Stormfield

Stormfield Aspirant (229) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

What’s HotW? I must be more out of the loop than I thought (?)

3. Piels25

Piels25 Aspirant (237) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Hen of the Wood.

4. Stormfield

Dammit! Can’t believe I didn’t figure that out. I will now store said acronym in my memory banks for use at a future time.

Bierman9 and AirBob like this.
  5. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (2,264) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

A Heady/Focal can with a little bit of condensation is a sight to be seen.

NYR-Zuuuuc and Rysk22 like this.
  6. chipawayboy

Trader

7. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (153) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

That's a beauty.

Jason likes this.
  8. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (2,264) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Had a Heady yesterday and it's still a perfect beer.

9. BigStein88

BigStein88 Disciple (309) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire
    Trader

I will also say that the recent batch of Rapture is excellent.

jhavs, wasatchback and epoole3 like this.
  10. Bradledj

Bradledj Initiate (61) Aug 4, 2016 South Carolina

Everyone is over here trading for trillium, tree house and monkish and all I want is some crusher and HT. Nobody does it like alchemist.

11. chipawayboy

Trader

Glad someone like Trillium somewhere - everyone here hates ‘em.

12. Bradledj

Bradledj Initiate (61) Aug 4, 2016 South Carolina

When I tried them a few years ago they were decent. I know people have complained lately about quality, but the hype is still there. I just need to find someone to send me some crusher since a vermont trip is not in the books for me any time soon!

chipawayboy likes this.
  13. cmoney13

Deactivated

Just got 2 each of heady and focal by total surprise. Wasn't hunting. Was grabbing a bottle of wine to gift for a friend tomorrow. Saw the cooler full of them. Seemed plenty left too.

Don't normally drink during the week but had to crack the heady when I got home. So good.

Sheppard likes this.
  14. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Disciple (308) Feb 17, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Does anyone else consider it 'bad form' when not mentioning where you found your humble brag beers in these types of messages? Drives me crazy. Just say "stumbled on Heady and Focal when I popped into Stuckey's Booze Palace in Woonsocket". Surely there are some who would appreciate it.

15. cmoney13

Deactivated

Yeah, fair. Bacon's in Hudson.

Greyvtrayn likes this.
  16. pointbreak

pointbreak Initiate (53) Dec 16, 2017 Massachusetts

Wegman’s in Natick got a drop, you gotta ask the guys behind the counter.

No date stamps on them this time. Last few drops around here all had them.

Greyvtrayn likes this.
  17. Stormfield

It seems to have dropped in a bunch of places all over MA. Provisions in Northampton. Jimmy’s Pub In Mansfield got a case. I saw a couple of other places on social media have it.

Greyvtrayn likes this.
  18. celtsfan33

celtsfan33 Initiate (39) Nov 12, 2019 Massachusetts

The south shore must have been in on this drop as well. Just ran to my local here in Hull, and after talking to the beer guy for a bit he asked me if I wanted some Heady and grabbed me a four pack from the back. Makes for a happy National IPA Day!

Greyvtrayn likes this.
  19. Bierman9

Bierman9 Poo-Bah (5,458) Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Luscious kicks ass ... if you can get it...

20. lic217

lic217 Savant (924) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

I have drank a lot of beers. Many of them are fantastic. None of them are heady topper. It is one of those beers that is perfectly made and also so unique it makes it distinguishable from the rest. I enjoy it every time. That mix of these incredible peachy tropical fruit taste of the yeast Astors mixed with the citrus and piney hop flavor is incredible. That is the difference between these other New Age beers. Most of them are tropical fruit flavors on top of tropical fruit flavors. There’s a lot of complexity in the heady topper beer that many of these New Age IPAs miss. Most of them only have a tropical fruit flavored punch without some of the other bitterness and citrus/piney hoppy flavors.

21. Stormfield

Lets add earthy hop flavors into that mix. I get a touch of earthy soil near the end, in a good way. The beer really contains a lot of different hop flavors, and it doesn’t ever taste or smell like rotten fruit, or as some breweries call it, “overripe fruit”.

lic217 likes this.
  22. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (2,052) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

No dates on the cans in VT either, on the deliveries received this week.

23. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Aspirant (276) Nov 6, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Trader

I remember many years ago on the BA forums when people chased Heady trucks. People would brag about their haul and never tell anyone where they snagged their beer. I got into a “fight” (LOL) with someone who wrote a post along the lines of, “Grabbed the last case. I was lucky too. The guy behind me drove from like NJ to buy Heady and walked away empty handed.”

I responded like, “And you could’ve been a good person and sold him a four-pack in the parking lot.”

That is when I first found out that you don’t question a “beer advocate” on his ethics.

Wild times.

24. cmoney13

Deactivated

Fwiw, I think it's bad form to post "does anyone else find it bad form.." If you disagree with something just say so.

Anyway, not gonna lie I'm boozing fairly hard during the pga championship. My friend gifted me some Torch & Crown brews from NYC, which I had 3 of and all were actually very nice. Definitely a great brewery.

But after Morikawa made an unreal EAGLE, decided to crack my last Heady, drinking from the can as instructed. It's head and shoulders above what I've had so far today.

25. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Disciple (308) Feb 17, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Fair enough, although the implication was pretty clear that I thought it was bad form. I see it a lot on the forums that I follow and call it out pretty much every time I see it. No biggie.

Glad you are enjoying the Heady and the PGA Championship!

26. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Aspirant (276) Nov 6, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Trader

I also boozed pretty hard during yesterday's final round. I am disappointed I drank my final two Lawson's pilsners after the wine. Very little appreciation for them at that point. But, hey, my Morikowa top five bet came in and I'm $90 richer! That's like two Trillium four packs of exploding beers!

lic217 likes this.
  27. lic217

lic217 Savant (924) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Trader

Sounds like a blast!

Bierman9 likes this.
  28. another_beer_in_the_wall

another_beer_in_the_wall Aspirant (223) Jun 9, 2019 US Minor Outlying Islands
    Society Trader

If you are in northwestern RI it appears we had another drop. Chepachet Village Wine and Spirits has 4 packs of heady and focal. Awesome!

29. Minipork

Minipork Initiate (166) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

How strict are they on the heady limits? Does my wife need to be there also or an she just wait back at the hotel

30. vtcraft

vtcraft Initiate (187) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

Heady is very easy to find in local stores these days so I would not worry about any limits

Minipork likes this.
  31. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (250) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

Despite less demand for beer right now, I’d be surprised if the alchemist let you go over the limit.

Minipork likes this.
  32. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (472) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Are they still dropping in Metrowest massachusetts?

33. 1009

1009 Zealot (523) Jan 20, 2019 Massachusetts
    Trader

Was up in VT back in the Spring and bought a bunch at a local beer shop. Was told they weren't being as strict during pandemic as they're trying to move the product rather than flood the market.

34. woodchipper

woodchipper Poo-Bah (1,539) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

Local store in south central Connecticut had 1-case each of Heady and Focal this week. Gone before I got there though.

35. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (798) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

You should’ve posted this in the “shelves in CT. thread”, maybe someone would give you a heads up on a store that still had some left. Supposed to be a drop once a month. fyi.

woodchipper likes this.
  36. Griffin2

Griffin2 Meyvn (1,035) Aug 22, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

My sister brought me back some Heady Topper from her recent trip to Vermont. I forget how good Heady Topper is. What a great beer.

37. robo55

robo55 Initiate (64) Oct 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Correct. In a league of its own

38. Rysk22

Rysk22 Zealot (545) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Heady is a brewing marvel in my book. I'm sure there are some minor inconsistencies between batches but it always tastes like the same incredible beer every time I have it.

39. Bierman9

Bierman9 Poo-Bah (5,458) Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Personally, I think Crusher is better. . Fwiw....

Prosit!!

40. bring

bring Initiate (86) Aug 17, 2005 Greenland
    Trader

It’s not (for me), but Focal may be (not to denigrate Heady at all).

Sheppard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.