Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

The Alchemist is closing the cannery to the public on 11/15

Discussion in 'New England' started by BoldRulerVT, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoldRulerVT

BoldRulerVT Champion (856) Oct 2, 2013 Vermont

http://www.alchemistbeer.com/a-difficult-decision/

#1 BoldRulerVT, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2013
  2. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2011 New York

wow that sucks

Heady's trade value just shot up

micromaniac129 and sandman3479 like this.
  3. amp138

amp138 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2011 Rhode Island

Oh god. Panic mode has just set in for me.

4. BoldRulerVT

This will be a day of butthurt unseen in modern times...

5. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (309) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

You gotta be shitting me

6. codysjb

codysjb Devotee (423) Jun 16, 2010 Prince Edward Island (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Do not want. I wouldnt mind if this meant that retailers got cases to sell but dealing with the bullshit from some of The stores(ie Hunger mountain co op which seems to argue with me every time about whether the limit is one lawsons bottle total or one of each) is just a pain In the ass.

franklinn likes this.
  7. SupremePie

SupremePie Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2012 Vermont

Growler fills lasted long..

8. Rekrule

Rekrule Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Hopefully this cuts down on the amount of Heady threads in this subforum.

BrettHead likes this.
  9. dunix

dunix Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2011 Vermont

My first thought too. Wonder what they'll do with the beer they have already brewed for growler release.

10. joeebbs

joeebbs Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 Pennsylvania

Should cut-down on 14 hour round trips from the Mid-Atlantic for the purpose of buying/trading the beer.

jborg, mfrigon, OtisCampbell and 2 others like this.
  11. brikelly

brikelly Aspirant (269) Apr 11, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I bet some poor sap will show up on 11/15 not knowing the news and stand there for hours anyway.

BrettHead, somenerd, azorie and 5 others like this.
  12. devkitt

devkitt Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

lmao

13. nolanz14

nolanz14 Aspirant (286) Aug 31, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Wow. I guess I better delete my FT threads and keep my Heady.

Squidly likes this.
  14. amp138

amp138 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2011 Rhode Island

Honestly one of my first reactions was "what about their growler fills?" How are they going to facilitate those now, or is that investment DOA?

15. Rekrule

Rekrule Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

If they wait long enough do they let him in like Jared Leto in Fight Club? Is this just a test to see how dedicated people are to Heady?

16. DHS1029

DHS1029 Aspirant (252) Feb 14, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I can't believe this means I probably had my last Heady back on freakin' Memorial Day! I'm so pissed now...

17. stevegoz

stevegoz Aspirant (252) May 5, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

This'll suck for a few years, until they expand or open an additional facility.

18. jbdpsu82

jbdpsu82 Devotee (406) Aug 28, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Well I guess I won't be sending out Heady as extras anymore...

19. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Meyvn (1,247) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

Send it to FX Matt!

20. Ranbot

Ranbot Devotee (457) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

This is why we can't have nice things.

HighWine, Erix, somenerd and 6 others like this.
  21. CTJman

CTJman Crusader (788) Jan 14, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

talk about a heads up

mikeburd1128 and Bizoneill like this.
  22. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (319) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Forgive me if it's been discussed elsewhere, but does anyone know the backstory here? Were neighbors complaining? I know when I've gone it's been crowded before, but I didn't think it was that big an issue...

Just seems strange to me that rather than expand in a new location and increase production, they'll only sell to their current accounts at this time and close the cannery, which was a big reason for my frequent trips to Waterbury. And I wonder how this news will affect the markup in retail shops... or will there conceivably be more beer there to purchase?

23. MattOC

MattOC Aspirant (216) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

On The Alchemist FB someone asked your exact question. Answer: "We will post about growlers when we have more info. But hang on to your your growler."

24. Bond111

Bond111 Aspirant (228) Feb 14, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

This sucks, especially to someone whom has never had heady...is it too late for a ISO for someone to hook me up?!?

Is it just because there is too much traffic for such a small spot, with a small parking lot?

25. Westuh

Westuh Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2012 Wisconsin

The mark-ups are going to be insane.

Bustersuess and Horbar like this.
  26. gregkoko

gregkoko Initiate (69) Mar 12, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

The retail shops know the golden goose they're sitting on. Markup will shoot up

Horbar likes this.
  27. ommegoodness

ommegoodness Initiate (170) Apr 21, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

So if they are not cutting back on production and not serving any new accounts, who is getting the windfall of a few hundred extra cases of HT/week to sell in retail? Given how careful Kimmich has been with his product, I can only assume they will make sure their authorized retailers are not marking it up to seriously.

28. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (237) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Do I have to compete with the folks trolling our local stores every delivery day now? Aaaargh!

somenerd and deanhead like this.
  29. BoldRulerVT

The Kimmichs keep an eye on prices in retail stores and have said they will pull the account if the mark up is deemed excessive.

30. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Meyvn (1,041) Oct 19, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

With the Alchemist's recent announcement that they will no longer be selling cases at the cannery, and will no longer be open to the public, and the only place to buy Heady Topper will be from a local retailer...

Do you think it is still worth it to make the trip up to Vermont from wherever you are to buy the Heady? What if there is a 4pk or two 4pk per person limit? What would you be willing to spend, if retailers are allowed to set their own prices?

31. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Devotee (444) May 17, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Crazy. Glad I was fortunate enough to score some HT from the cannery on my visit a few months ago. Though that stuff is long gone now.

32. gpugliese

gpugliese Initiate (152) Mar 22, 2011 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

33. AaronF

AaronF Initiate (182) Jun 23, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Absolutely. There are plenty of retailers that would like the product, so I am sure that will help control mark-up. Self-distribution can be a wonderful thing!

34. Ranbot

Ranbot Devotee (457) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

I'm going to go out on a limb here......But if I was a beer retailer in VT and I knew that every week hundreds of cases of one of the most popular beers in the world was being picked up at the brewery, many of which by people from out-of-state, and I was had to fight for the leftovers, I think I would be a little annoyed with the situation. Alchemist might have been facing some backlash from retailers that they still have to depend on to some degree.

dumpman, joeebbs and duchessedubourg like this.
  35. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

Part of the reason is probably because they get cleaned out every canning day, with tons of out of state plates in the lot. Now all the cans will go to stores, and stores will have WAY more now.

VTMoondog likes this.
  36. MacQ32

MacQ32 Meyvn (1,188) Mar 5, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

You could hit 5 different stores within a 20 mile radius so the 1-2 4pack limit doesnt bother me, just call the stores in advance and see if they have it still. I'd be willing to spend $16 a 4pack all day every day. And more if it was an occasional thing

37. DrinkSlurm

DrinkSlurm Poo-Bah (1,927) Oct 3, 2007 New York
    Subscriber

They are making it less and less easy for people to get Heady and at therefore making its "stock" rise and rise...suddenly the "#1 beer in the world" became a bit more difficult to get. Seems like they are keeping demand high on purpose... that's something I cant get behind. (and an opinion as only they know whats going on). There are so many delicious DIPAs out there than I can get with may more ease.

Or perhaps they will distribute more and it will become more widely available outside of the, beautiful yet remote, northern VT area. - im all for that.

Only time will tell...

38. RichD

RichD Champion (806) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

I'd be willing to go up to Vermont again to visit Hill Farmstead and if Heady Topper happens to be available in a store then I may pick it up for the right price. To me, people gobbled up Lawson's/Otter Creek Double Dose for 18 bucks per 4 pack so I'd say that my cap would be 20 bucks a 4 pack. For those who live in VT it's a much different story though.

LeRose and LeeMarvin like this.
  39. jomobono

jomobono Disciple (350) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

It will only increase with people asking where to get it.

Rekrule likes this.
  40. bribo

bribo Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2012 New York

This will suck but it's temporary. They'll figure something out I'm sure. Maybe a separate location to sell Heady and growler fills. Somewhere where the neighbors won't complain. Heady is just too damn popular for this to be anything but a temporary blip.

defaultroute and fermentedbarley like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.