The American Pale Ale is the next "IT" beer style

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Biff_Tannen, Apr 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biff_Tannen

Biff_Tannen Aspirant (256) Dec 8, 2013 Missouri

i feel very strongly about this.

For so long, IPA's have been so popular. However, breweries have gotten just too crazy with the ibu's, not to mention beer drinkers seem to be steering more toward lower abv beers, so all of these hop bombs are becoming very passé. Most ipa's are 6-8%. Most American Pale Ales are in the 5-6 range. They go down much smoother with more balance. Also have less calories. Session iPas won't be around at all in 10 years if not 5. Nothing but a gimmick. No balance. Except for Boulevard Pop Up. That is the most balanced session IPA I have ever had.

What are your favorite American Pale Ales? Some of my favorites are:

4 Hands City Wide
    Half Acre Daisy Cutter
    3 Floyds Zombie Dust
    Stone Pale Ale 2.0
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    Boulevard Pale Ale

What other readily available ones out there are worth trying?

pro100, Nachojon, glass_house and 4 others like this.
  2. basaywhat

basaywhat Poo-Bah (1,873) May 20, 2013 Illinois
    Society Trader

Dale's Pale Ale by Oskar Blues

3. nerdboy19

nerdboy19 Aspirant (248) Sep 20, 2015 Korea (South)
    Trader

My favorites :
    Ballast Point Gruinion
    Beavertown Gamma Ray
    Toppling Goliath Pseudo Sue

I love pale ale. They are more drinkable and balanced than IPA/DIPAs. I really want to try Fort Point from Trillium.

4. jssf

jssf Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2015 California

My faves
    Trillium Fort Point
    TG Pseudo Sue
    Boulevard/Cigar City Collaboration No. 5
    I actually really highly rate Marin's Mt. Tam too. I think it's underrated.

Cameron_como and Travitten like this.
  5. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (283) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Trader

Lagunitas Born yesterday was amazing. I look at that citruanus and that waldo experiment as one they should cut short and produce more of born yesterday in favor of it.

I do realize it's abv is 6.5%.

I do also realize, my local favorite is considered an "IPA" at 6.5%.

It's a fuzzy game out there.

I don't think I have truly found a great tasting APA that makes me want to drink that over its IPA counterpart.

Mosaic promise showed me promise (5.5%), but then I had some SN HH and at .7% higher, those maltier sweeter notes really hit home. MP felt too dry and lacking in character.

NB Citradelic is pushing home a more sessionable approach with its 6% "IPA". SA Rebel GF is 6.3-6.5% IPA.

I'm rambling here. But I really think that new wave is more of that 5.5% to 6.5% "session" trip. DIPAs are OUT. Out by a long shot.

In short, I do agree. APA, if you want to try to box that in as a category, is approaching a BIG year for them.

First it was Heady at 8%, then focal banger made a literal bang at 7% for "IPAs". I can see them doing a 6%er that climbs the APA charts.

#5 Oktoberfiesta, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  6. spaceman24

spaceman24 Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2008 Texas

Schlafly Dry Hopped APA is terrific.

7. ChloeJMK

ChloeJMK Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2016 Michigan

I like Sierra Nevada Pale ale a lot but I enjoy drinking Founders All Day IPA. It's the only session beer I drink.

8. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (283) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

2 locals...Revolution Fist City and Brickstone APA.

9. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

I do enjoy a good pale ale but 9 times out of 10 I'm gonna choose an IPA like Two hearted, Centennial, 60 minute, Inversion, or 51k over SNPA. I like hops and a beefier abv without constantly pissing

#9 hopnado, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    Oktoberfiesta likes this.
  10. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,389) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey

My favorite is Porkslap. I miss butternuts, come back please. :slight_frown:

utopiajane and PatrickCT like this.
  11. BenwayPHD

BenwayPHD Aspirant (289) Sep 4, 2014 California

Alesmith 394 is one hell of a delicious Pale. Ballast Point Grunion is another of my favorites (until they decide to ruin it by jamming it up with 6 different fruit variants). I am also a fan of the Stone Pale 2.0. It doesn't get much love, but I think it is unique and an improvement upon their first pale.

12. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,078) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

IPA's only starting outselling PA's to become the most popular "craft" beer style around 2011. Was only about two years or so before that that the best selling IPA was Redhook Longhammer - pretty much simply because it was so widely distributed via the AB wholesale network.

Now I realize that the current "craft beer" culture, 5 years is a long time, but compared to the run that adjunct lager and then light beer have had in the overall US beer market, it is not very impressive. Seems to me, if one doesn't care to drink the current "best selling" beer style - whether it is IPA, Adjunct lager, Light beer, etc. - it's relatively easy to find an alternative choice (more so today than every before in the US).

13. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,972) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Hmmm, I see pretty much the opposite more likely to happen. Right now the world is discovering American Style IPA, and it is likely, at least to someone like me who is unquestionably biased, that they will like them as much as do we. Germany, the world's number one hop grower, is planting new fruity varieties, and even in that traditional-style beer loving country folks are discovering the beauty that is American style IPA. In fact, I would be greatly surprised if the blurry line between IPA and Pale Ale didn't continue to become even blurrier than it is now. I picture the world craze for American IPA continuing for quite a while, and to feature using increasing quantities of new varieties of hops in massively late addition and dry hopped beers. I picture Pale Ale being made increasingly to mimic rather than set itself apart.
    Dale's Pale Ale is an IPA. I rest my case.

14. jmasher85

jmasher85 Zealot (575) Mar 27, 2015 Maryland
    Trader

More likely, I see the distinction becoming more like that between stouts and porters - historically significant but practically indistinguishable. Half the APAs I drink are as strong and hoppy or more so than IPAs. The other half (obviously) are less so. What's the difference? Where's the line? Just start calling them Hoppy Pale Ales and make our lives easier.

Mongrel, drac86, jssf and 8 others like this.
  15. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (793) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

I really don't think APA is the next big style. Lagers are coming back in a big way, and I couldn't be happier.

Good APAs that you didn't mention are Spiteful Alley Time, New Glarus Moon Man, any Mikerphone APA, Trillium Fort Point, Karben4 Tokyo Sauna and Dragon Flute.

16. papposilenus

papposilenus Meyvn (1,272) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

I'm not sure there's a any kind of kashrut that dictates what's an IPA and what's an APA. It's basically the same process and the same beer, a spectrum where the APA indicator is slid a little more toward the malty left and IPA a little more toward the hoppy right. Marketing determines where the division is between them and what goes on the label.

That said, I always enjoy a Smuttynose Shoals Pale Ale.

17. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (558) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Not something I ever thought I'd read on this site.

For me it's SN Pale Ale, NG Moon Man, and Daisy Cutter. Hits across the spectrum of drinkability, balance, and hop kick when fresh. Trillium's Fort Point is one of my all time favorites, but I consider it an IPA.

18. dennis3951

dennis3951 Meyvn (1,011) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I don't think there is going to be a "next-it-beer-style". IPA's may become less popular but no one style will replace it.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  19. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,430) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I think they're both here to stay.

PSU_Mike likes this.
  20. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Meyvn (1,296) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Maine Brewing Co: A Tiny Beautiful Something
    Two Brothers: Sidekick
    FW: Pale 31
    MT: Oneida
    SNPA
    NG: Moon Man

Not sure if pale ales are going to be as popular as IPAs, but now that I've been seeking them out more often over the years I've realized I've been missing out

VABA and beantown_hopster like this.
  21. zid

zid Meyvn (1,204) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

I didn't realize that those in Information Technology all drank the same thing.

Pantalones, Ranbot, jmasher85 and 5 others like this.
  22. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (550) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Very well played, Zid.

zid and FLBeerGuy like this.
  23. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,214) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Westbrook One Claw is a very good APA.

24. tillmac62

tillmac62 Poo-Bah (1,794) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Society Trader

25. elucas730

elucas730 Initiate (146) Feb 5, 2010 New York

Where'd they go?

[​IMG]

26. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,361) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I could drink Grunion all day every day for years before I got sick of it.

27. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,507) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I don't think APs will be "it , I just don't. I do see a resurgence in lager and Pils, it's a better separation in styles than PAs is to IPAs.

28. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,430) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I think it's all gonna grow, frankly.

29. marquis

marquis Champion (803) Nov 20, 2005 England

Stouts and Porters were always indistinguishable , Stout was simply the name given to the stronger Porters.Same hops, same grain bill, just less water in the brewing.

cavedave and LuskusDelph like this.
  30. elucas730

Pale Ales are certainly not going to be a top tier "It" beer like Double IPAs, barrel aged stouts, or gueuze. I could see it as a second tier "It" beer like Session IPAs over the past couple years or Black IPAs before that.

DoctorZombies likes this.
  31. steve419

steve419 Initiate (124) Apr 7, 2011 New York

Bronx American pale ale

32. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

I wouldn't agree that American Pale Ales are the next it beer but I will say that there are some that have a hop presence more akin to an IPA. According to my ratings, here are my top APA's
    1. Zombie Dust
    2. Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale
    3. Deschutes Red Chair NWPA
    4. Alesmith .394 Pale Ale
    5. Ballast Point Grunion

TrojanRB likes this.
  33. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (351) Apr 29, 2012 California

Meet the new boss...

Same as the old boss.

Allow me to introduce: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

34. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (351) Apr 29, 2012 California

Aside from SNPA....

My top Pales are as follows:

RR Row 2 Hill 56
    Alesmith .394
    OB Dale's Pale
    FW Pale 31
    Stone Pale Ale (the original version, not 2.0)

35. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Crusader (780) Dec 12, 2014 Chile

I imagine the "American" adjective in American Pale Ale denotes the abundant use of hops. How do people call non-hoppy pale ales anymore?

36. elucas730

English Pale Ale of course :grinning:

37. mrchrisray

mrchrisray Disciple (355) May 14, 2013 Ohio

Maine Brew Co's MO and Pipework's Lizard King are my favs.

38. swfeidt

swfeidt Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2012 Pennsylvania

I think pale ales are probably my favorite style. Some of my favorites that are readily available in my area . . .

Lagunitas New Dog Town
    Daisy Cutter
    SNPA
    DC Brau the public

39. twizzard

twizzard Defender (655) May 11, 2013 New York
    Trader

Besides Trillium? Lizard King & Grunion.

40. PhilsPils

PhilsPils Disciple (307) Feb 11, 2010 Texas

Karbach WEEKEND WARRIOR. IMO, one of the better APA's out there. I dare anyone to try a side-by-side with SNPA (which, after all these years, is still a benchmark beer).

HopBobby likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.