The Angry Chair Thread

Discussion in 'US - South' started by BKnarr, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lapalou

Lapalou Disciple (339) Dec 21, 2014 Florida
    Trader

The answer is that AC didn't need to release some of the most hyped beers during tbbw when the crowds were already going to be massive. They have no problem selling out of these bottles locally. That's about the only thing they could have done given the amount of bottles they crank out per batch to limit this madness. BA IGCCS drew 600+ last year early and the hype has only grown.

Hang in there neighbors, we like AC and want them to stay, they will get this sorted out in the future one way or another.

the_bavarian and macrosmatic like this.
  2. lionelhutz23

lionelhutz23 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Florida

Honestly, AC just needs a new facility. I love the place but they've outgrown it.

3. odsbodkins

odsbodkins Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2010 Georgia

Just saw someone post from 7venth Sun say it was ok to park there and uber over since they are not open at that time.

Thirst_trappist likes this.
  4. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Disciple (353) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

This.

Eventually they'll need to step up the production level....like cycle did. Which offset some of the line insanity.

Bfairhurst74 likes this.
  5. Gibspeed

Gibspeed Initiate (95) Feb 9, 2017 Ohio

And apparently some of the QC too...

6. Bfairhurst74

Bfairhurst74 Initiate (151) Nov 16, 2014 North Carolina

To soon?

7. Thirst_trappist

Trader

Haha. This guy :stuck_out_tongue:

8. yucatown

yucatown Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2015 Florida

Not if you make it a lottery, like Toppling Goliath does with Assassin.

9. Jwolf55219

Jwolf55219 Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2014 Florida

There is no perfect system...Online sales still have people who miss out. I think a good old fashion line is the most fair way. Those who want it bad enough spend their time. As crazy as it is

Egotist, Ohiou84, odcardinal and 2 others like this.
  10. yucatown

I agree there's no perfect way. I'm thinking primarily of safety issues and impacts to the neighborhood, two things that AC has incrementally acknowledged with each release and the ensuing shit shows.

the_bavarian and Gibspeed like this.
  11. lionelhutz23

A line is the fairest way but it's not going to continue to work. Either residents are going to start trying to enforce things themselves, which will lead to a confrontation eventually, the police being called or the residents trying to have something done through the City of Tampa.

Sabtos and the_bavarian like this.
  12. Freshly_Squeezed_Ry

Freshly_Squeezed_Ry Initiate (68) Feb 9, 2017 Florida
    Trader

My guess is the cops will be called multiple times Wednesday night and Thursday morning and Angry Chair will be forced to make another change. It reminds me of when the NBA All Star game was in Orlando a few years back. People went nuts for the Galaxy Foams, and eventually lead to riots, and the cancellation of the release.

the_bavarian likes this.
  13. Thirst_trappist

Trader

This

Because what local wants to miss out simply because they didn't get chosen.

14. macrosmatic

macrosmatic Poo-Bah (2,950) Mar 9, 2006 Florida
    Society Trader

I agree with this. I like a lot of what the AC guys do and how they try to organize things. But this is the opposite of an unforeseeable occurrence when you release the beers that they're putting out during TBBW. Aside from the unannounced Vassago that was (is?) sitting in the cooler, when was the last time they released a beer that didn't sell out within hours just to locals? Even the DIPA collab with Calusa sold out before 24 hours.

Lapalou and Freshly_Squeezed_Ry like this.
  15. Gibspeed

Gibspeed Initiate (95) Feb 9, 2017 Ohio

There's no perfect system besides supply meeting demand, but there is a perfect system for stopping the crazy lines at crazy times and causing issue for the surrounding community, which is any type of presale, where allotments are then guaranteed, day of. I just think, no matter what they say, they want that hype-train of a line to keep the train rollin.

16. Jwolf55219

17. lionelhutz23

Man, way too soon to bring up the galaxy foam riots. Ts&Ps to all those that were affected.

18. Immutable_Dusk

Immutable_Dusk Initiate (128) Dec 16, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

It's definately going to be bananas Wednesday night. I overheard a group talking about closing down angry chair Wednesday and going right outside to line up.

19. Freshly_Squeezed_Ry

Freshly_Squeezed_Ry Initiate (68) Feb 9, 2017 Florida
    Trader

Thirst_trappist likes this.
  20. Jwolf55219

21. J455K

J455K Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2013 Pennsylvania

22. lionelhutz23

I remember when the Jordan 12s came out when I was a kid and the truck didn't even make it to the store. They were selling them off the truck. I luckily got a pair. After Christmas, when school started back I had the new Jordan 12s and a replica black Bulls jersey with stitched on numbers. I was the swaggiest 12 year old white kid at my upper class public school.

23. yytle

yytle Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2016 Florida

this is probably the 500th crazy beer release to happen in the area in the past 10 years. there aren't too many ideas out there that haven't been tried. online sales are the best way to do it. people will be upset they missed out but they will be less upset than if they waited for hours outside and missed out. plus the neighbors won't get upset. but...there's a lot less hype in online sales than lines that zig zag through the neighborhood

jrnyc and the_bavarian like this.
  24. Thirst_trappist

Trader

Online sales are absolutely hyped.

25. lionelhutz23

I'm going to motion for the following process to be followed for beer sales. It's all online. If you're interested you sign up with all social media names and requested information. Then the following people are put at the back of the list.

(1) If you've posted a For Sale within an hour of purchasing a beer you go to the back of the list. If you posted the picture while still at the brewery permaban.

(2) If you are in a picture at separate beer events on separate days wearing the same Cantillon shirt. Back of the list. (we get it you like Cantillon and it used to be hard to get).

(3) If you've used the work "dank" unironically in the past 6 months. Back of the list.

(4) If you have back owed child support but are still at beer releases back of the list (sorry I know this one will be rare. Most neckbeards don't get the opportunity to procreate.

(5) If you've ever posted a list of over 300 beers that you need to sell in an emergency because your landlord raised your rent $50 a month. Back of the list.

Should be smooth for all others.

dorfilms, jrnyc, will_eye_e and 12 others like this.
  26. EABbGD

EABbGD Initiate (130) Aug 8, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Why bother with the days of the week type format at all? Just sell all the bottles in one shot and be done with it. At least then the neighborhood is only a cluster for one day.

Deltoro, m34josh, macrosmatic and 4 others like this.
  27. AltonGriese

AltonGriese Initiate (62) Aug 14, 2010 Florida
    Trader

The local residents should just call the police. It's obnoxious that the brewery continues to enable shit-show behavior and at the same time pleads for everyone to "behave."

Do this, don't do that, oh, and by the way, we're going to have daily releases of high demand, limited bottle count beers during Tampa Bay Beer Week.

The drinking in line, blocking roadways and walkways, and crowds forming hours before release negatively impact the neighborhood. It's the brewery's responsibility to come up with a plan that not only sells their product but also respects their community. Otherwise, all of the statements from AC about how they love their community and respect their neighbors, well, don't mean shit.

cfh64, jrnyc, Mattybz28 and 11 others like this.
  28. SHODriver

SHODriver Poo-Bah (2,688) Aug 13, 2010 North Carolina
    Society

Things were pretty sane for El Cucy and BA No Promises. It just starts to break down when you get the extra hyped releases and an influx of people for TBBW.

Can you imagine how nuts it would be if they dropped all this stuff in one day using the line format? At that point they'd need somebody keeping a tally on people and once they have enough to sell everything turn everyone else away and start slinging beer. They also only have so much space in their facility to hold packaged beer so that would also be a logistical challenge. There's really no good way to make the system equitable when supply lags so far behind demand aside from showing up, hanging out for a few hours, and then collecting your bottles in an orderly fashion.

29. EABbGD

EABbGD Initiate (130) Aug 8, 2014 Florida
    Trader

I see the logistical challenge point in terms of space for bottles however if they are really concerned about their neighborhood they can make it work. Heck, fill the tasting room with boxes during the release then move the stuff that doesn’t sell. it would be no different in terms of monitoring the line. Whether they have 1k of one beer or 3.5k of 4 different beers, they can all be for sale at once with a limit of 1 of each per person or whatever they deam fair. Would the line move a bit slower? Sure. But it beats 4 days of lines and eases tensions with neighbors.

rightcoast7 and BlackToothGrin like this.
  30. Lapalou

Trader

I have to agree, I think the notion of weekday releases is a good idea if you are trying to drive traffic to your tasting room to sell beer and merch everyday. But Since AC opens later this isn’t needed and frankly they are probably trying to do the opposite right now as they are overwhelmed.

BlackToothGrin likes this.
  31. yucatown

I agree with this.

32. joon2007

joon2007 Initiate (47) Dec 15, 2017 Florida

Can we use Uber, such as at 6:00 am in the morning around AC?

33. Blazer06

Blazer06 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2008 Florida

Yes, I know of some uber/lyft drivers that prefer doing the early morning times. Less drunks and more business people getting rides to the Tampa airport for those early am flights, and those flights start at around 5am.

34. Bigdoc91

Bigdoc91 Aspirant (215) Aug 30, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Would someone get a bottle showing up around 6?

35. Blazer06

Blazer06 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2008 Florida

Don't know the answer to that but I think you will be able to get an uber at least.

36. Thirst_trappist

Trader

Do you live there in that neighborhood?

37. macrosmatic

macrosmatic Poo-Bah (2,950) Mar 9, 2006 Florida
    Society Trader

I was wishing for this while in line at Hidden Springs on Saturday. Nowhere near the level of hype of AC... but it ran very smoothly. 7 different labels of beer, only one line to wait in, only one morning impacted for me and the brewery.

38. Lapalou

Trader

Any idea on the current line? Did the rain send people for shelter?

39. Thirst_trappist

Trader

Very long. Think someone said past jug and bottle

Lapalou likes this.
  40. lionelhutz23

My buddy sent me this 20-30 minutes ago

[​IMG]

johnyb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.