1. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

The Anti-Irish Beer St. Paddy's Day Thread.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by pjbear05, Mar 16, 2019.

1. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (165) May 28, 2008 Florida

Harp? Nah. Irish Reds? Meh. Guinness? BLECCH!

Screw it, tomorrow I'm going to Khoffner's in Lauderdale. Get me some of Rauf's lagers and such. Also some hot dogs, if he has a grill man out.

CONFESS, ye blackguards!

2. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,649) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Someone pinch this troll! :stuck_out_tongue:

TrojanRB, IPAExpert69, VABA and 3 others like this.
  3. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Zealot (545) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

You've obviously never been to Ireland. Nor do you have an ounce of Irish blood in you.

Boooooooooooooo!!!!!! to your trolling.

Donovanj, TrojanRB, bmugan and 11 others like this.
  4. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (236) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

You’re drinking the wrong Guinness.

VABA, LuskusDelph, kojevergas and 3 others like this.
  5. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (90) Aug 21, 2015 Illinois

Right on. Get some FES if you can find it. Or drink an American equivalent, like Urban Chestnut's Kinsale.

6. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,579) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Well I agree with the first two: HARP and Irish reds. Guinness... OK, but I'd rather have a Murphy's or a Beamish! :slight_smile:

BJC, GetMeAnIPA, Ozzylizard and 14 others like this.
  7. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Disciple (327) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

I wish we got Beamish here. Was my favorite in Ireland (mainly because it was half the price of Guinness and less than Murphy's).

tzieser, AlcahueteJ, VABA and 4 others like this.
  8. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,049) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

What the hell?

9. johnyb

johnyb Defender (659) Aug 11, 2012 Florida
    Trader

Bushmills

TrojanRB, dcotom, AlcahueteJ and 3 others like this.
  10. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (1,897) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

I will admit Guinness Draught isn't that good. But Extra and Foreign Extra are fine beers.

bmugan, keithmurray, BJC and 6 others like this.
  11. Vitacca

Vitacca Defender (687) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

Irish car bombs all day err day.

12. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,218) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

I haven't any philosophical or quality issues with Guiness, but I ended up grabbing Murphy's to pair with my CB&C dinner. Also picked up a local Irish Red that I plan on featuring tomorrow for NBS

VABA, PatrickCT and Bitterbill like this.
  13. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (686) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I don’t drink based off “holidays”.

I have some fresh wolf pup and Maduro brown I picked up. If that works with a holiday great, if not I’m still good.

Enjoy

Ozzylizard, VABA, Pstone530 and 4 others like this.
  14. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (236) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

The Anniversary Stout is damn fine too...

BJC, dlcarst, AlcahueteJ and 7 others like this.
  15. rgordon

rgordon Champion (892) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Beamish me up Scotty!! I don't like me no Tiki bars neither.....Read McCarthy's Bar by Pete McCarthy .You'll thank me...

VABA, Bitterbill and JayORear like this.
  16. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Zealot (518) Dec 19, 2006 California

I really enjoy Guinness draught cans, especially the ones with the vintage label artwork. I always pick up a 4-pack for St. Patrick's Day. It's a great session beer.

TrojanRB, AlcahueteJ, VABA and 2 others like this.
  17. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,158) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

I picked up some Extra Stout for the weekend and I honestly think I like the Anniversary better these days.
    I haven't seen Beamish in so long, is it even still imported?

AlcahueteJ, VABA, Hoos78 and 3 others like this.
  18. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,551) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

I can see where you, and I assume the OP, are coming from with the American bastardization of St. Patrick’s Day and the likes of Cinco de Mayo, but a culture/religious celebration honoring a patron Saint of Ireland is not a “holiday” to Irish Catholics (which I am not for the record, though I have Irish heritage) just as Eid Al-Fitr is not a “holiday” for Muslims.

LeperJim and guinness77 like this.
  19. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,413) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

After Heineken and Carlsberg bought and divided up Scottish-Newcastle in '08, Heineken wound up with the Beamish label. Since they also owned Murphy's they stopped exporting Beamish to the US. They also closed the Beamish brewery and moved the brewing to Lady’s Well Brewery (Murphy's home) also in Cork.

But if you're looking for Irish-brewed beer, the Murphy's they currently ship to the US is brewed in the UK (cans) or in Holland (kegs).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    But, I guess that still closer to "home" than the Guinness Extra Stout in the US that sometimes comes from Canada? :grin:

#19 jesskidden, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  20. rgordon

I'm pretty sure it's still out there. I'll let you know tomorrow. Maybe it's just Murphy's I'm thinking of.

steveh likes this.
  21. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,049) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

I’ve read it. Also drank a ton of Guinness in real Dublin pubs a couple of years ago. Anyone who says BLECCCH to Guinness hasn’t had a proper pour.

LeperJim, drtth, tigg924 and 10 others like this.
  22. rgordon

That was really more for everyone, not specifically you. It is a view that is very funny. My wife's reading it for the first time and she's been in the sun room cackling all day!

FBarber and Bitterbill like this.
  23. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,367) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

I plan to go out to my favorite Irish restaurant when it opens tomorrow at 11am have some cornbeef and cabbage for lunch and probably an Irish Whiskey if I'm feeling like something alcoholic that early (50/50 at best).

Wife is fixing bangers and mash for dinner tomorrow night so I guess I need to stop and pick up a 4pack of something Irish to pair with dinner. Most likely Guiness unless something else catches my eye.

AlcahueteJ, VABA and LuskusDelph like this.
  24. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,397) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

The Guinness variants are good, so is Murphy's, and the one from Breckenridge.

That being said, I prefer Snake River Zonker and Melvin Scenario any time of the day.

AlcahueteJ, VABA and PatrickCT like this.
  25. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (2,890) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Trader

Not so much anti-Irish as anti-Green Beer Day, I'm hitting a Big Lebowski themed "coffee chocolate stout" brewed as a collaborative effort between two Washington state breweries.
    [​IMG]

26. NextBestThing

NextBestThing Initiate (181) Apr 5, 2008 New York

Redbreast 12 year.

oldbean, Tilley4, AlcahueteJ and 2 others like this.
  27. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,158) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Yeah -- seen Murphy's recently, and check Jess' post above. Sad days, always liked Beamish -- prob'ly the rebel in me. :wink:

AlcahueteJ and VABA like this.
  28. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,649) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Anniversay stout is where it’s at. I hope that beer sticks around forever.

29. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Aspirant (267) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

I don't do the whole St. Patrick's Day beer thing. Primarily because I'm not a huge fan of dry Irish stouts. I'll drink whatever beer I'm in the mood for, regardless of cultural background. Perhaps a Bourbon County.

As a whisky fanatic and collector, I shall most certainly be drinking some Redbreast and West Cork 12 Port Cask. I'll take a whisky holiday any day of the year.

Diddly doo POTATO

30. Sarah_Bearah

Sarah_Bearah Initiate (156) Feb 5, 2019 California
    Society Trader

I don't care what you're drinking as long as it's not green and you don't actually order a "Black and Tan" in a true Irish pub. Read your history, folks! But real talk, Smithwicks/Guinness is the ULTIMATE half and half.

31. Glider

Glider Aspirant (206) Nov 15, 2004 Massachusetts

I had a pint of Two Roads Irish Exit on nitro a few days ago, and it was very good. A lot more flavor than Guinness Draught, but still light and creamy.

When I was in Ireland, Beamish was my favorite as well.

Today I may have some Pilsner or Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen. If I have anything Irish it will probably be a bottle of Guinness Export, FES, or anniversary. Guinness Draught in a pub still has its place for me, but it’s not very exciting so only once in a long while.

VABA likes this.
  32. NextBestThing

NextBestThing Initiate (181) Apr 5, 2008 New York

An Irish pub serving black and tan any day of the year is out of line, doing it on Maywin Socket day is that much the worse.

Tiocfaidh ar la.

Trull, rudiecantfail and VABA like this.
  33. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Champion (874) Jan 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)
    Trader

Mwuhahaha. Even if I were to be dragged into celebrating 'wear green stuff and drink Guinness day', I'd have to sneak a bunch of Good King Henry into the pub.

34. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (2,692) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

I was wondering what this thread was about, but I got to give the opening poster credit for what turned into an entertaining thread.

As for me, I enjoy a Guinness draught just because it can smoothly change the pace for me from all the IPAs and Sours that I drink.

AlcahueteJ, pjbear05, FBarber and 2 others like this.
  35. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,259) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

I bought a sampling of every Guinness stout and Murphy's my retailer had. I'm putting on a corned beef, turning off my cell phone and not leaving the house.

zid, MNAle, Glider and 5 others like this.
  36. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,707) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I’ve never seen the FE here, not that I’m looking, but I like Murphy’s and Beamish pretty well, but I most definitely need to be in the mood. ThecBuiness Draught is a bit shy on flavor, but as popular as it is I’m sure it’s true to style. You’d never know today was St Patty’s Day, being in the south they probably think it’s a pagan holiday. Ham and cabbage with potatoes this afternoon.

Ozzylizard and AlcahueteJ like this.
  37. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Aspirant (212) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

I bought a 12 pack of mixed stouts from Guinness. The dates on the bottles in the individual six packs they had on the shelves were ranging from old to really old (some FES from mid 2017 - I guess it ages ok, but l prefer to but it fresh and make that decision myself), but the mixed packs that they probably ordered just for St Patrick's day were dated December 2018, so that was a no brainier.

I'm sure the Guinness draught moves well and is relatively fresh, especially around this time of year, but if your buying any of their other (better) beers, check the dates!

rudiecantfail likes this.
  38. LiamoMill

LiamoMill Initiate (42) May 11, 2017 Ireland
    Trader

Ah no one in a pub in Ireland is going to get offended by ordering a Black and Tan - saying tiocfaidh ár lá on the other hand is a definite no unless you’re in some crazy republican pub.

If anyone wants to get a feel for a pub in Dublin you can look at the stream from The Templ Bar Pub here https://www.earthcam.com/world/ireland/dublin/?cam=dublinpub give you a taste of the madness!

It’s a shame some of our better beers don’t get distributed in the US more widely, might provide some better options to folks.

39. miniditka77

miniditka77 Initiate (144) May 21, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Counterpoint: Guinness Draught is the perfect beer for all-day drinking. It tastes fine, it's low alcohol (only 4.2%) so it takes a lot to get you plastered, and it's got enough bitterness that it never truly starts to go down like water like lagers do. Also, it doesn't come in pitchers, and pours take a while, so it's much easier to monitor your consumption.

TL;DR - I've been drinking Guinness for 20 years, including many all-day occasions, and I've never gotten sick once.

BuffaloBill12, MNAle, FBarber and 6 others like this.
  40. LiamoMill

LiamoMill Initiate (42) May 11, 2017 Ireland
    Trader

Always a winner for an all day session!