The Art of the Shower Beer

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Mar 6, 2017.

1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Founders (17,361) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

Regardless of what you’ve heard or read in the past, there are only three things you need to know to master the art of the shower beer.

Read the full article: The Art of the Shower Beer

#1 BeerAdvocate, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2017
  2. BJB13

BJB13 Aspirant (278) Feb 18, 2017 Maryland

Haa! I thought I was the only one.

3. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,027) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Well you are very new to the forums. Love shower beers, I don't know if I agree with the lagers are best statement, they are great but a hoppy beer is my go to, and I hope we see more session sours in cans because that would probably be my favorite if I could find enough of them.

jdell15 and BJB13 like this.
  4. BJB13

BJB13 Aspirant (278) Feb 18, 2017 Maryland

Point taken.

I've never put much thought into which beer, just took whichever one I felt like drinking at the time. I will pay more attention to my "shower pairings" from now on.

I do feel like a bit of a safety outlaw though, while I will not allow anything but cans on my boat I don't think twice about taking a bottle or a pint glass (which is a bit more tricky) into the shower. I do have nice roomy built in corner shelves that keep my beer stable and safely above the water though.

#4 BJB13, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  5. glass_house

glass_house Zealot (595) Jan 10, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

A couple points I take issue with...

I always go with a glass. A small snifter or goblet fits perfectly into my corner rack. And I like to live dangerously.

May sound counterintuitive, but I much prefer a stronger IPA, barleywine etc. I can see how an ice cold lager sounds more refreshing, but my showers are rarely less than 15 minutes, and extremely hot. I want something that will hold up well as it warms.

jdell15 likes this.
  6. tepie

tepie Initiate (154) Aug 26, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Why didn't the article mention dumping some of the beer on your head? This is a must for mastering the shower beer and is why the lager is recommended.

AJmon13, GOBLIN and Urk1127 like this.
  7. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (8,007) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

OMG! The illustration for the article is beyond frightening!

rronin, GOBLIN and BJB13 like this.
  8. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Disciple (378) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Probably better than a photograph though :eek:

jdell15 and tylerstubs like this.
  9. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (238) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

I've probably only done this a handful of times but I tend to feel that hefeweizen is the perfect style. The banana, clove and overall brightness of the style seems to almost have a purifying effect when you drink it under the hot water. That's just me though. Tried it with an IPA and it just didn't do it for me, felt odd for whatever reason. Did it with an Alaskan Summer Ale a while back and that was pretty nice.

Shower beers are cool it's just not something that regularly occurs to me to do.

10. Scott17Taylor

Beer Trader

Why waste the beer? I'll do it if it's natty or something cheap, but not with a good shower beer.

11. Scott17Taylor

Beer Trader

I need to try it with a hefe, I have a local brewery that'll be canning theirs shortly. I'll try it as soon as I can.

alucard6679 likes this.
  12. keithd718

keithd718 Initiate (100) Mar 8, 2017 New York

Nothing better after a round of golf is a sitting in a warm shower with a cold forty. The world just drifts away. Not good beer, but the bottle has a small opening to keep the beer safe. Maybe a growler is a better choice.

Stoutmaster9 and ManBearPat like this.
  13. CraigTravor

CraigTravor Defender (651) Nov 12, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I started a thread about shower beers years ago. I was amazed at how many people were with me on it. I love a good shower beer. Especially if I am getting ready to go out.

My goto is a 16 oz Half Acre Daisy Cutter. I like Revolution Anti Hero as well. Something about a cold Chicago IPA and the warm shower... It just works.

14. seth27

seth27 Initiate (151) Mar 16, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I started every Friday and Saturday night in college off with a shower beer. Of course it was mostly PBR and labbats in those days.

15. Scott17Taylor

Beer Trader

Those cheap aal are great for shower beers, I regularly use natty ice bush light or any other super cheap beer.

rronin likes this.
  16. Acinonyx

Acinonyx Initiate (131) Mar 8, 2017 Michigan
    Beer Trader

For me nothing follows a good bike ride better than a shower beer. I typically reach for something as refreshing as possible. Light and crushable is the key.

17. Bdubbsyall

Bdubbsyall Initiate (135) Aug 13, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Avery - El Gose
    Destihl - Counter Clockweisse
    Anderson Valley - Blood Orange Gose

The list goes on.

18. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Savant (960) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

This where I prefer my session ipa's and GASP . . . Miller Lite

19. NNN

NNN Initiate (142) Feb 9, 2017 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Idk why but a nice cold stout works for me in the bathtub. Get yourself proper glassware for it and rest it on the ground outside the tub. This feels like 10000% TMI right now but fuck it this is weird topic soo .. IDGAF.

rronin likes this.
  20. sliv

sliv Initiate (178) May 15, 2001 Massachusetts

I always found this combination of cold beer and a hot shower to be a great "hair of the dog."

21. Myslewski

Myslewski Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2015 California

I'm total agreement with alucard6679 re: hefeweizen. Even better, if you're one of us who like a wedge of lemon in your hefeweizen, squeezing it into your hair when shampooing (chamomile preferred) is great for blondes — you, or your shower mate ...

22. brrmont

brrmont Initiate (0) May 22, 2016 Vermont

While it's true that there is vast variety in shower beers, it's also true that not all beer showers are created equal. I count three basic types, although this is by no means a comprehensive list.

The first one is the hair of the dog shower, the one where you wake up and need to simultaneously sweat and wash away your hangover toxins and regain body chemistry equilibrium. You need a michelada, pronto. Outside the shower I prefer Miller Lite and bloody mary mix, maybe some green olives in there to chew on once you've finished your watery breakfast. If for safety's sake, though, you insist on a canned beverage, you're gonna want a Budweiser Chelada, a 24-ounce can of the King of Beers mixed with slightly spicy Clamato.

The next beer shower is the pregame/party/date shower. That's the one the authors pretty much described in the article, and their selections garner no argument here. Something crispy and light and crushable. Make sure you wash your pits, too.

The last one is essentially the bookend to the hair of the dog. A staple of late-night restaurant and bar workers, it's the shower where you get home late — we're talking 3 or 4 in the morning late — and you're way to wired to go to bed, and you probably have to get up in the morning because sleeping in is for the weak. This shower is longer in duration, and probably needs a minimum of two beers. And they ought to be pretty heady but not overwhelmingly hoppy. I'm thinking something like Rogue Dead Guy or Shed Mountain Ale. Shower until you're pruny and just buzzed enough, and sweet dreams.

23. spelingchampeon

spelingchampeon Aspirant (205) Feb 21, 2016 Delaware
    Subscriber

At first glance, I found the shower beer a little over the top. However, in fairness to science, and just to prove I'm open minded, it's on my list.

24. dgmirelli

dgmirelli Disciple (340) Mar 21, 2015 New York

add in = after a warm summer day working in the yard and a nice steak sitting on the counter for after you have cleaned up.....that shower beer is pure magic!!

BJB13 likes this.
  25. dgmirelli

dgmirelli Disciple (340) Mar 21, 2015 New York

isn't that why SN started canning Nooner??

26. vickersspitfire

vickersspitfire Savant (910) Dec 11, 2006 Texas
    Subscriber

The only three requirements are: beer, shower and relax. I am glad to hear I'm not the only one who does this, in fact I just showered this beautiful Saturday morning with a beer for breakfast while taking a shower. What better way to start a slow weekend!
    No matter what your preferences are, just enjoy it and if you have not showered with beer before, what are you waiting for? Go get your favorite beer and hop on in!

27. rronin

rronin Initiate (178) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

Looks like the artist (?) had way too many beers.

28. rronin

Especially if you knock the can off the shelf reaching for the shampoo....

29. rronin

Now we need a thread on bathtub beers..

NNN and Stl705 like this.
  30. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (2,018) Dec 1, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Love me a shower beer on occasion and appreciated the article. I would argue rule 2, though - after a long, hot, summer day a cold beer in a cold, or at least cool, shower is magic.

31. cosmo4u

cosmo4u Disciple (352) Nov 18, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

After reading this article I might start showering

SaCkErZ9 likes this.
  32. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Poo-Bah (2,125) Feb 27, 2005 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Icehouse is my shower beer of choice. I have deduced this after 1000's of attempts at the perfect shower beer. This is the one.

33. chitownfanatic21

chitownfanatic21 Initiate (191) Sep 25, 2016 Kansas
    Beer Trader

I do love myself a good shower beer every once in a while, especially after some yard work. I usually tend to go with a lighter IPA or Pale Ale of some sort.

34. DrinkAnchorSteam

DrinkAnchorSteam Aspirant (289) Jan 23, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I was surprised to see Jason and Todd support the whole "shower beer" thing. Specifying to knock back a can of lager in the shower within a 5-10 minute timeframe doesn't seem to jive with the "Respect Beer" signoff that ends each Beer Smack.

35. Todd

Todd Founder (5,380) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber

Part of respecting beer is keeping it real and acknowledging that beer is meant to be fun.

36. DrinkAnchorSteam

DrinkAnchorSteam Aspirant (289) Jan 23, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

True. I just don't see the "fun" in standing in a manner as to not get soap or water in my beer. But others seem to not have a problem with it so I guess I'm in the minority.

37. Todd

Todd Founder (5,380) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber

No guessing. You are. ;)

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe