The BA Metalhead Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by superspak, Apr 20, 2019.

1. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (32,359) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Moderator Society Trader

Found any new bands lately? Old favorites? What is your favorite genre?

I find myself seeking out new bands more often lately. Still keep the old favorites on rotation, but there is just too much great new stuff out there to ignore now. Been on a big deathcore kick lately, but Prog and Tech Death seem to be my most listened to genres, along with Power Metal.

This is my profile for tracking things:
    https://www.last.fm/user/superspak

Just found this Tech Death band from Tokyo today, and it is pretty amazing stuff. Some pretty erratic time signature changes going on, so a bit of an acquired taste I am sure.

2. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,097) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I'm an emcee, sir. That said, in my research of other genres, I discovered that Cliff Burton was a major rager on the 4-string motherf*cker. OG Metallica was cutting edge. Cheers.

3. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,294) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

New bands? Guess I've been enjoying Alien Weaponry. Otherwise I have been sticking to my wheelhouse, AIC, BLS, Lamb of God. Speaking of prog, I have Tool tickets in may, really excited for it.

And for something wildly different, here's a little Mongolian metal. And for the record, I probably wouldn't f*ck with these guys

4. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,345) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

As for new bands, I've been digging into Russian Circles (post-rock), Rivers of Nihil, and deeper into Deafheaven lately. Still frequently revisiting Ne Obliviscaris, Insomnium, Steven Wilson, and Behemoth. I'm always exploring prog-death, prog, black metal, and tech-death.

I find out about a fair number of new-to-me bands because of Ian, actually - Hath, yesterday, was a revelation.

GreenBayBA, eire and superspak like this.
  5. eire

eire Disciple (383) Jan 31, 2016 Alaska
    Society Trader

That new Hath album (Of Rot and Ruin) is very nice. A few other metal albums that have graced my ears of late:

Violet Cold - Kosmik
    Ultar - Pantheon MMXIX
    Suldusk - Lunar Falls
    Wormwitch - Heaven that Dwells Within

Not really metal but can’t stop listening:

Brutus - Nest

6. GreenBayBA

GreenBayBA Meyvn (1,063) Aug 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

This is my wheelhouse, so I will always be involved. My musical selections in WBAYDN are sometimes subdued due to the general audience, but extreme metal is my greatest passion. I don't get excited about too many new bands. The few that I have been, I have communicated to @superspak on WBAYDN. I have been obsessed with the new Aborted album, and the most recent Dimmu Borgir album. The new Amon Amarth album is going to be amazing! I have purchased over 100 other albums over the last year, but nothing else stands out.

Roguer, TheGent, Greywulfken and 5 others like this.
  7. damndirtyape

damndirtyape Poo-Bah (1,837) Apr 19, 2009 Ohio
    Society

I'm still old school in my metal choices - what I listened to in the 80s, 90s, and early 00's still stuck with me. Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Metallica, Judas Priest, and White Zombie/Rob Zombie. I've tried listening to Deafheaven (my son bought it for me as a Bday gift) and while I enjoyed the music, I did not enjoy the singing (Sunbather). Lately I've been listening to a lot of Clutch, but I'm not sure I'd call them fully Metal.

8. MUSHROOMCLOUD

MUSHROOMCLOUD Poo-Bah (1,740) Mar 4, 2005 Texas
    Society

I've listened to this in it's entirety about 5 times in the past few months, it's an amazing album in my opinion.
    I was always a huge fan of Hot Rocking and Heading Out To The Highway but never realized that song #1-#11 was so f-ing great!

9. scream

scream Meyvn (1,124) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

10. Realsambo

Realsambo Aspirant (275) Apr 15, 2016 Texas
    Society Trader

Some of personal favorites and go toos, Oceano is the heaviest thing known to man, we butter the bread with butter is heavy and strange, and then horse the band is just strange. Then of course pantera Metallica and slayer are the greatest of all time. Only long hair Metallica though. And only everything slayer has ever put a finger on

11. cryptichead

cryptichead Meyvn (1,374) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Been ages since I discovered anything new and the older I'm getting the more I just want to listen to NPR and classical music.

But to this day my favorites in the metal genre remain System of a Down, In Flames, My Dying Bride, and Dethklok

12. Bruinsfan87

Bruinsfan87 Disciple (311) Aug 25, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

I've been jamming to Emerge from the cocoon and death by disaster a lot recently.

Buckeye55 and GreenBayBA like this.
  13. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Meyvn (1,017) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Awesome thread. Good thinking!

Mostly into deathcore, old school death metal. Cannibal Corpse, Six Feet Under, Mortician ect... Alot of Cradle of Filth lately.
    Found a few kick ass bands thanks to @superspak
    I dabble in alot of different genres of metal. Been jamming out to
    Fuck...I'm Dead, last couple days. But most recently have refpund a love for From Autumn to Ashes.
    Depending on the day I'm having depends on the music also.

Buckeye55, superspak and eire like this.
  14. drunkenmess

Society Trader

Found these guys recently too,
    Nothing impressive but seem to do the trick...
    Hunt the Dinosaur

Realsambo and superspak like this.
  15. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,469) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Meshuggah

Still one of my favorite live shows

mambossa, meefmoff and superspak like this.
  16. Bruinsfan87

Trader

I recently discovered these guys as well, I'm impressed with his vocals.

17. drunkenmess

Society Trader

Yes, he has his own style for sure.
    It's funny I cant watch the video and enjoy the music. Doesn't seem to match up very well in my head I guess. Like them way better when I don't watch the video :grin:

Bruinsfan87 and dcotom like this.
  18. Bruinsfan87

Trader

thats how i feel about the band Follow My Lead and the song Crestfallen. Great vocals however the music video is meh.

Buckeye55 and drunkenmess like this.
  19. jaxon53

jaxon53 Meyvn (1,386) Mar 1, 2006 Connecticut
    Society

After seeing Obituary a few weeks ago in Worcester, I've been listening to a lot of their music. Also listening to a lot of Napalm Death too...

Roguer and eire like this.
  20. Buckeye55

Buckeye55 Poo-Bah (6,321) Jan 11, 2019 North Carolina
    Society

Yes, metal.
    Been listening since metal started, like all of the usual suspects. Major dissapointment that Pantera did not achieve what they should have.
    For now, I'm in more of a mainstream metal vibe, LOG, Maiden, Behemoth, Rammstein, Mesuggah, Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Six Feet Under, Gojira. Throw in a little Suicide Silence, Carcass, Napalm Death.
    Now this might start an argument over whether they are metal or not, but my current favorite would be Tool. Finally after 13 years we get new music. Legends in their spare time.

21. eire

eire Disciple (383) Jan 31, 2016 Alaska
    Society Trader

Still listen to Obituary on a regular basis as well. Cause of Death and The End Complete are my favorite. A newer band that I’ve found to be similar and pleasing is Zealot Cult.

Roguer and Buckeye55 like this.
  22. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Crusader (754) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Completely agree with your assessment on Pantera. For me, they are the beginning and the end of metal.

Buckeye55 likes this.
  23. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Meyvn (1,422) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I'm all old school with a few exceptions, Slayer and Judas Priest are my all time favorites along with Rammstein (the outlier in terms of genre) Exodus, Anthrax, Behemoth, Testament and Skeletonwitch being my other top bands.

meefmoff, Roguer, drunkenmess and 3 others like this.
  24. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (4,673) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

Recently, I've been really digging the new Sulphur Aeon album, and revisiting Dodecahedron's opus, Kwintessens. It's tragic that the catalyst for that was the passing of the vocalist Michiel.

superspak, eire and Buckeye55 like this.
  25. jaxon53

jaxon53 Meyvn (1,386) Mar 1, 2006 Connecticut
    Society

Today's mission will be to check them out. Thanks!

26. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (140) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Trader

Altars of Madness

drunkenmess, Buckeye55 and DefenCorps like this.
  27. Buckeye55

Society

Can't believe I forgot Parkway Drive. I listen to them as much, if not more, than anyone else. I know lots of metalheads hate metalcore, but I listen to several bands in the genre.

28. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Poo-Bah (4,673) Jan 18, 2007 Oregon
    Society Trader

There aren't many albums that sound as fresh, vibrant, immediate and downright evil 30 years after release, but goddamn, does this album deliver.

Buckeye55 and thesherrybomber like this.
  29. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,699) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I have some range and depth of musical interests, but it always come back to metal...

Hoping As I Lay Dying has an album in their future...

Excited for the new Amon Amarth and Fleshgod Apocalypse albums...

Recent discoveries include Lahmia and Dyscarnate...

Reliable faves include Mastodon, Kvelertak, and Behemoth...

Horns up, BA...

\m/:angry:\m/

30. Buckeye55

Society

Question, how did you get the links posted on here? When I try to post them with the beers on wbaydn, it never works. I know I'm going about it wrong

Greywulfken likes this.
  31. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (32,359) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Moderator Society Trader

Go to youtube and copy the full link including the 11 character ID -> "www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyxpuawSQ6Q"

Go to the media button (the film looking thing), post it all in there. Will cut out everything but the 11 character thing, and look like this without the first space:

[ MEDIA=youtube]OyxpuawSQ6Q[/MEDIA]

Buckeye55 and Greywulfken like this.
  32. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,699) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

^ what he said :wink: lol

Buckeye55 and superspak like this.
  33. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (417) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I don't listen to as much metal as I used to but I'll always have a softspot. I've been digging the new Rammstein video recently, and while it's not a band per se, a friend of mine sent me this video of a couple of street performers in Buenos Aires giving new life to the term 'shredding'.

TheGent and eire like this.
  34. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,024) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I would consider the majority of my metal interests under the umbrella of classic rock, such as Priest, Metallica, Sabbath, etc.

Other main favorites include, but are not limited to,
    BLS, Pantera, and Children of Bodom.

I’m always exploring new music, and have picked up many new favorites over the past year. Most have not been metal, but there are a few I did pick up from either the OP or another poster in this thread, including: Rest Among Ruins, Jason Richardson, and Dying Fetus. I’ve really enjoyed all of these and continue to explore their music with great enjoyment.

Greywulfken, Buckeye55 and FFFjunkie like this.
  35. TheGent

Society Trader

A band I REALLY hope I get the chance to see some day.

Ranbot, Buckeye55 and meefmoff like this.
  36. drunkenmess

Society Trader

Yes.
    Plus their Gateway's to Annihilation is fantastic as well. :beers:

Buckeye55 and thesherrybomber like this.
  37. Buckeye55

Society

Thanks y'all, I will give it a try. Probably fail several times, curse your metal souls, finally figure it out and curse myself for being so f-ing stupid

38. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (417) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

They're doing a pretty large tour in Europe right now - hopefully that means North America will follow before too long!

TheGent likes this.
  39. TheGent

Society Trader

I didn’t know that. Just checked cause I’ll be there during the tour but they’re in Russia during my trip. Not where I will be.

Fingers crossed for North America!

meefmoff and Buckeye55 like this.
  40. Buckeye55

Society

Love this thread, bands just keep coming to mind. Some others I enjoy
    Exodus, Machine Head, Dillenger Escape Plan, Death, KSE, Ghost.

For the times when I feel the darkness,
    Cattle Decapitation, Whitechapel, Suffocation, Mayhem, Watain, Belphegor, Dissection, Cryptopsy, Devourment, Gorgoroth, Skeletonwitch, Stalaggh. Look at any list of the sickest, most evil, satanic, etc. And you'll see these bands. For good reason, best consumed in small doses.