The Beer Flop House -- new strategy for whale hunting

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by chipawayboy, Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MEBully

MEBully Initiate (50) Nov 13, 2013 Massachusetts

all except Bell's Sculpin the only one that USED to be in the same class as aforementioned. But last 3 bombers have been spent. Old. Ergo my "fresh beer" obsession. My palate. gotta own it.

2. MEBully

"...about 10 Mass beers"

3. MEBully

5 guys, $25 a head plus upkeep. And a clubhouse of our own? One can dream...

breadwinner likes this.
  4. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

[​IMG]

JLaw55, WCKDVBZ, budsandsuds8 and 9 others like this.
  5. stonermouse

stonermouse Devotee (464) Aug 16, 2006 Massachusetts

Taking a quick buzz through this thread, we're all in agreement that this is a troll, right? If so, I hope the admin soon deletes this thread before my head detaches from my body from all of the head-shaking and face-palming.

Ilovelampandbeer and montman like this.
  6. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Devotee (471) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

This plan is for people with too much money/time.

7. breadwinner

breadwinner Meyvn (1,216) Mar 6, 2014 California
    Trader

Haha, fair enough, my man. I sincerely hope you'll come back and update if you guys decide to go for it -- it'd be interesting to see how it works out for you.

8. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Quebec (Canada)

Better yet, build a tree house in the VT woods near HF and swoop first in line every day. No rent, no electricity, no expenses. Just make sure not to do that in winter :wink:

jrnyc, LambicPentameter and cavedave like this.
  9. MEBully

Or too much money and not enough time...

10. rozzom

rozzom Champion (807) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Too much money? And that would be you I take it? Hilarious :rolling_eyes:

Is this BA's version of the 110k + OT thread?

11. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,530) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona

Comments are spot on. I'd wager that most of us, flop house folks included, would probably choose many "shelf beers" over whales if given a broad blind taste test of great IPAs. Maybe not all, but certainly many to most. All too often when people claim they know what they like on taste, they're really expressing a preference that is based (largely) on other aspects, or at least a strong mixture of them. Or to be a little facetious, many like the taste of rarity.

JLaw55, tommyguz, TMoney2591 and 6 others like this.
  12. breadwinner

breadwinner Meyvn (1,216) Mar 6, 2014 California
    Trader

Just went back and read this and realized, perhaps in my zeal to try and see your side of things, that 5 guys @ $25 a head is not $250/month, brother. Gotta double that. So, $50/mo + upkeep + plus the financial commitment of being tied to a fixed asset? Yeah, I just can't get down. Make your bi-weekly runs, share hotel rooms, and have the freedom to stop whenever you want. Getting locked into a doublewide (and forgive me if I'm suspect of the resale value of a doublewide) doesn't sound like a plan I'd want in on.

utopiajane, yemenmocha and rozzom like this.
  13. Ericness

Ericness Initiate (128) Nov 21, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

And sleep on the same sheets as commoners? :grimacing:

14. hossthepatsfan

hossthepatsfan Initiate (38) Nov 18, 2008 Massachusetts

I'd love to see someone line up five "whales" along side 5 other decently-rated "commoner" beers of the same style and do a blind taste test with "whale hunters".... and have them either identify which beer is which or simply rank them from favorite to least favorite.

edit: oops... just noticed, basically, the same comments just a couple of posts up.

#174 hossthepatsfan, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    JLaw55 likes this.
  15. lester619

lester619 Devotee (498) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

When you put it that way it doesn't sound quite as insane.

chipawayboy likes this.
  16. rozzom

rozzom Champion (807) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Except as @breadwinner pointed out, the math was off

breadwinner likes this.
  17. mohawk5

mohawk5 Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2014 New Jersey

lol just move to freaking Vermont if you love this beer that much that you want your kid to study in VT just so you can make more beer trips.

What a mess! lol

18. stonermouse

stonermouse Devotee (464) Aug 16, 2006 Massachusetts

But dude, walez. C'mon guy.

beertunes likes this.
  19. benbking

benbking Aspirant (211) Dec 11, 2009 Rhode Island

If you guys want to fund it, I will happily be the first person to land at Hill Farmstead via helicopter.

20. Jirin

Jirin Aspirant (220) Apr 28, 2013 Massachusetts

You're willing to spend thousands of dollars more a year just to make it even harder for anyone else to get any?

beertunes and yemenmocha like this.
  21. readyski

readyski Aspirant (244) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

And of course the elephant in the room is that partnerships (you and your buddies), are like marriages, and if/when they end, they end badly :slight_frown:

beertunes, yemenmocha and breadwinner like this.
  22. BostonHops

BostonHops Champion (872) Sep 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Yep, another legitimate question in a venture filled with them. What happens when one of the buddies wants out? Someone has a kid and suddenly doesn't have the extra money to throw at this flop house and the biweekly trips... Or has to move across the country for work... Or loses his job... Or sleeps with one the buddies' wives... :flushed:

Kinda has the feel of one of those eureka moments you have with some friends at the tail end of a night filled with double digit ABV brews, glossing over the annoying pitfalls. Sounds so inspired and doable at the time! Then you wake up the next morning and... yeah that's really not gonna work.

Good thread though!

beertunes, breadwinner and yemenmocha like this.
  23. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

one of the worst ive seen

24. 1eyed_jack

1eyed_jack Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2012 Illinois

Getting the highest rated beers is serious business folks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sunnrider, Kevinpitts, JLaw55 and 8 others like this.
  25. tommyguz

tommyguz Savant (997) May 14, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

That's what I was thinking. I imagine OP wouldn't use the house every single day of the year, so in turn they could charge people to stay there when it's not in use, actually making money on the house instead of paying. I know if I were going to Vermont for a trip I'd consider renting a house for a day or two if needed as opposed to a hotel room.

26. tommyguz

Trader

Wait. Is this all because you are British?

beertunes likes this.
  27. tommyguz

Trader

Is Vermont housing free of property taxes?

28. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (418) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

BAers-- I want to thank all of you for your advise, consult, insults, and degrading comments regarding the beer flop house concept. I truly feel the vision we had has been given critical thought -- and thoroughly vetted w a large group of intelligent and unbiased peers (ok -- I'm just kiddin about the unbiased part). I also want to apologize for incorrectly defining the VT beers my friends and I seek as "whales". In the future, I will be careful to simply refer to them as "beers I have perform travel planning for and set aside excessive time in order to successfully procure". After carefully reviewing your comments -- I have concluded this is the stupidest idea I have ever considered. In thinking though alternatives (ideas that will help me get my coveted beers more efficiently and with greater comfort) that aren't as stupid -- I was thinking of getting my mates to go in on a trailer/van type of vehicle -- like below. We could leave it in a parking lot somewhere --or just stash it in the woods in Greensboro or off rt 100 somewhere (maybe near that cool farm that has the "museum of everyday life" kinda near Hill Farmstead). We could stock the van w blow up mattresses and a small fridge for sampling and snacks while on beer run trips. I haven't discussed this yet w Mebully as I think he is still clinging to his flop house idea (it was HIS idea btw). Thoughts on this approach to more efficiently and comfortably obtain the Vt beers I have to perform travel planning for and set aside excessive time in order to successfully procure?

[​IMG]

MaltLickyWithTheCandy likes this.
  29. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,985) Sep 24, 2007 Montserrat
    Trader

Dude, just buy a used RV. Comes with beds, places to cook and eat, and a bathroom. Plus, when you're not making beer runs with it, you can drive it to the shore (or wherever your hang out place is).

JrGtr likes this.
  30. MEBully

My bad. Funny thing is, I was a math major in college. Logic still holds...

31. MEBully

Sry Chippy, but no stopping me, I'm on a roll. Lot's of food for thought here. I'm thinking limited partnership possibly run as a not for profit to avoid taxes. This would solve the "ending badly" when your wife and I make an unscheduled "trip" up...

VT is a pretty f'd up place that way. We could found it as a church. Our Lady of Perpetual Hops or some such. Maybe our girl from HF could be our patron saint.

Still, the economics beat any alternative. $600 a year "tithe". Revenue stream from Airbnb. Potential sponsorships. Franchinsing rights. The mind fairly boggles.

As far as the RV? The way you drive? And active yeast in the lower GI? Homeland security would be all over us as a potential weapon of mass destruction...

Bully

32. Freedom_is

Freedom_is Initiate (0) May 8, 2013 Minnesota

Did anyone notice that chip away boy just threw his buddy under the bus as his idea? That was a 18 wheeler bus!!! May be some cold nights with no love for those two up in the VT flop house! Me billy will you still go for runs with your Johnny cakes?

ArkansasTraveller and yemenmocha like this.
  33. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (418) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Freedom is -- not sure what u talking about and I don't appreciate what u r insinuating!!!!

MaltLickyWithTheCandy likes this.
  34. ArkansasTraveller

ArkansasTraveller Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Arkansas

So many laughs.

WCKDVBZ likes this.
  35. stephens101

stephens101 Poo-Bah (2,245) May 5, 2006 Oklahoma

Sometimes I have no idea what I am doing here.

MattOC and yemenmocha like this.
  36. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,530) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona

Let's drink to 2014 - the year of the FlopHouse

37. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Aspirant (294) May 24, 2006 North Carolina

I suspect this is a thread created for shites amd giggles

38. MaltLickyWithTheCandy

MaltLickyWithTheCandy Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Maryland

LMAO

39. Providence

Providence Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Here you go folks, more rich folks fucking it up for the rest of us. They already pushed the middle class out of being able to afford a ticket to see our favorite pro-sports teams, a ticket to see our favorite bands, a week at a beach house by the ocean, a trip overseas to see where our families came from/still live, and, soon, we won't even be able to afford to go to the fucking movies. Craft beer is a luxury item where the best of the best is within the grasp of many of the people that enjoy it. This type of shit is pushing it slightly out of reach.

40. Nick_Bousquet

Nick_Bousquet Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2014 Virginia

Just when you thought it was dead.....the Flop House thread is revived! @Providence I wouldn't worry too much, it's been 9 months since this original post and the sate of craft beer seems about the same. Although I would love to hear if OP is walled up somewhere, jealously guarding his stash of Heady, SoS, and HF beers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.