The beer you buy when you look at the beer wall and absolutely nothing excites you.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nc41, May 8, 2017.

1. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,512) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I get into ruts sometimes and nothing looks or sounds all that great, and just not in the mood to drop $13 on another middling IPA. So I have two, the first is PBR in bottles, IMO it has some similarities to a Vienna Lager, the other is Pilsner Urquell. I've been drinking a bit of German Lagers, and some Pils from Tx and OK from a few local trades. The first thing thst hit me was how big the hop bite was on this one in comparison to what I've been drinking. Both are absolutely dependable, reasonably priced, and always enjoyable to drink.
    NJM, Tdizzle, unclekeith and 4 others like this.
  2. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (816) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

3. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,338) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Either Victory Prima Pils, Sly Fox Pikeland Pils, Stoudt's Pils, Troeg's Sunshine Pils, or Neshaminy Creek's Trauger Pils depending on freshness.
    bret717, surfcaster, tzieser and 4 others like this.
  4. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,431) Jun 11, 2013 New York

lol me too.Either the local pils or the German pils .
    herrburgess, VABA, dennis3951 and 2 others like this.
  5. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,284) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Either a random local I haven't had or a cheap 6 pack of any lager style. I also have a local betlinerweiss that's only $9 a six pack that is very good and I buy that regularly.
    MaltheadWeirdo and Lucular like this.
  6. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (449) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Anything weihenstephaner...those 20oz bottles -- usually super affordable. Korbinian, Dark Wheat, Helles -- they are all excellent.
  7. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,026) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

My cousin offered to buy me a pack out of my local bottle shop's coolers where the selection has recently grown but is still somewhat limited. I literally said, "Nothing in this cooler will give me the type of satisfaction that that 4-pack of Westbrook Two Claw will"
  8. loebrygg

loebrygg Initiate (94) Jun 4, 2016 Norway

9. dcall384

dcall384 Aspirant (249) Aug 9, 2011 Indiana

Icehouse! There is some excitement for ya! Maybe not good excitement though.
  10. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (1,936) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

If nothing strikes my fancy at the store that day, I'll usually just leave empty handed. I've got plenty of beer to keep me drinking otherwise. And this way, my wallet doesn't take an unnecessary hit.
  11. 1ale_man

1ale_man Initiate (171) Apr 25, 2015 Texas

St. Arnold's 5 O'Clock Pils or Great Raft Brewing Southern Drawl Pale Lager. Both very tasty and readily available.
    Tdizzle, bret717 and matcris like this.
  12. pro45

pro45 Aspirant (274) Sep 11, 2016 New York

Dales Pale Ale
    Don De Dieu 750ml
    4 pack DFH 90 Min.
    Tdizzle, matcris and buckeye1275 like this.
  13. scottakelly

scottakelly Devotee (487) May 9, 2007 Ohio

Very often a Sierra Nevada 12 pack. Summerfest right now, but other times of the year it could be Pale Ale, seasonal, or variety pack.
  14. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (1,906) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I am not familiar with this condition. This is what I look like when I get to the beer store, or I receive a beer package .....

Harrison8, Gajo74, Gemini6 and 14 others like this.
  15. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Disciple (311) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I do not normally do this at the store, as I only seem to really travel to the store if I am for sure purchasing something. That said, I also try to keep plenty on hand. So for me, this question is:

If I go look at all the beers I have, and nothing really excites me, what do I grab to drink?

If I drink at all that night, it is usually one of the following:
    • GI Sofie
    • Abita Purple Haze
    • Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat
    • Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
    Badfish likes this.
  16. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,390) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Dale (@nc41), would you be willing to drink a Lager?

P.S. For the uninitiated, Lager = Yuengling Lager!
  17. ThisWangsChung

ThisWangsChung Poo-Bah (2,748) Oct 15, 2011 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I usually just grab some SA Boston Lager and be done with it in this situation.

Gas stations in VA carry fresh tallboy cans of it (fresher than I can find in MD most of the time), and they really hit the spot when picnicking at Kings Dominion or whatever.
  18. meefmoff

meefmoff Disciple (341) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I do often find myself looking around at the sea of options and feeling foolish that somehow nothing is really speaking to me. In which case I usually end up grabbing a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada or a 6 pack of Jack's Abby simply because I figure I might as well be excited about the price if I can't decide what the hell I'm in the mood for.
    HuskyHawk and papposilenus like this.
  19. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (402) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

If I don't have any daily drinker type of stuff, it'll probably end up being a SN All Day IPA or something along those lines.
    If I am just there to browse and if I see anything good, well, I'm fine walking out with nothing. I buy enough other times I don't feel bad.
  20. JBogan

JBogan Champion (829) Jul 15, 2007 California

Lately it seems more and more that the number of beers on the shelf that excite me keeps dwindling. That's because the number of IPAs keeps growing, and frankly I'm just not very interested in them.

So, I guess the one beer I can always count on to find easily among the gluttony of IPAs is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. That and Firestone Walker DBA or Pale 31 are my go to beers when it seems like otherwise the choices available are IPA or nothing.
    Gemini6 and johnnybgood1999 like this.
  21. chicagogooner

chicagogooner Initiate (165) Feb 5, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Brickstone APA
    beardown2489 and ZebulonXZogg like this.
  22. MNAle

MNAle Champion (896) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

This is me. I have left the store with nothing more than a few times.

Sometimes I will grab something I haven't tried before, usually a local or midwest beer, sometimes a beer that has just started distribution here.

But, if nothing appeals, I just leave.
  23. papposilenus

papposilenus Crusader (753) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

I have my life organized in such a manner that this never happens to me. However, were I to be stranded somewhere in some rustic, rural New Hampshire hill town without a car and had to walk to the general store, I'm sure I could find something from Smuttynose that wasn't much more than a year beyond it's 'best by' date.
    jhavs, 5thOhio and buckeye1275 like this.
  24. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,307) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

A traditional German sixer of some sort. Usually Weinstephaner.
    puck1225, Jacobier10, rypkr and 4 others like this.
  25. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Disciple (392) Mar 26, 2011 California

Pineapple Sculpin
    Sierra Neveada Pale Ale
  26. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,780) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

Me too, which isn't a loss because just visiting the beer aisle is a life affirming experience.
  27. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Devotee (465) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

This is happening to me almost every time now. Great question. I suppose Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin if I want an IPA. Often I'll just get nothing, or grab a single of something I haven't had.
    RyanK252 likes this.
  28. cryptichead

cryptichead Champion (848) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

When I hit a similar rut (I think I'm in one right now), I usually default to easy-drinking pilsners or AALs

Pilsner Urquell - lately, have been regularly buying the vintage-looking 4-packs
    Dunkels - Ayinger, Weltenburger Kloster
    PBR/High life
    Badfish likes this.
  29. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,249) Sep 15, 2014 New York

A hoppy pilsner like Pivo, Prima, Vunderbar or Polestar. Whichever is freshest.
  30. Caped_Brewsader

Caped_Brewsader Initiate (111) May 8, 2017 California

Elysian Space Dust does the trick when nothing else excites. It's a tasty 8% IPA.
    pro100, Badfish, Duckaduck and 2 others like this.
  31. akolb

akolb Crusader (709) Aug 8, 2015 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Any Odell year-round beer usually does the trick
    Badfish, puck1225, ManBearPat and 3 others like this.
  32. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (383) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Over the past year it seems my beer of last resort has been whatever Jack's Abby seasonal is current. I drank loads of Copper Legend during Oktoberfest season, and then loads of Red Tape, and then loads of Saxony Lager, and oh look, it's the return of Sunny Ridge. When each first appears I'll buy a sixer or two because I look forward to them, and then I just keep buying them whenever nothing else leaps out at me.

It's worked out well in that I recently moved from Boston to the 'burbs and my range of choices has been curtailed accordingly, but Jack's Abby is everywhere, and deservedly so.
    soheadyithurts, ecpho and EmeraldMist like this.
  33. Vason

Vason Initiate (163) Feb 19, 2008 Ohio

Generally something Lagunitas. Brown Shugga, other seasonals, or whatever style I'm in the mood for.
    RyanK252, BeerSexLove and derfderf like this.
  34. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Disciple (397) May 5, 2015 Illinois

Old Rasputin or Crystal Lake Brewings Slalom King, a nice Rye IPA.
  35. Soke

Soke Initiate (141) Dec 16, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

SNPA, MIA Mega Mix, or Anderson Valley's blood orange gose
    Brolo75 likes this.
  36. Jaguar10301

Jaguar10301 Initiate (148) Mar 1, 2010 Maine

Lately I have been crushing All Day IPA and PC Pils 15 packs of cans because its cheap and easy drinking. Though I find I drink more of it than better beer so maybe I'm not really saving money? Meh...
    RyanK252 and Squire like this.
  37. eppCOS

eppCOS Defender (613) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Premium Member

When I tire of my usual pale ales and IPAs, I follow Leonard Cohen's advice of "You want it darker"...and get a porter, coffee porter, or solid stout under 7%.
  38. zstef99

zstef99 Initiate (41) Dec 25, 2008 New York

Two Hearted is my standby beer (and one of my all-time favorites).
  39. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,780) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

I'm slowly moving toward the place where I would say I prefer one Imperial Red Ale over two Sessions of any stripe.
  40. EmeraldMist

EmeraldMist Aspirant (253) Mar 6, 2017 New York

Genesee Cream Ale or Miller High Life. Both are cheap, consistent and enjoyable enough for me. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for anything in particular and I'm never disappointed with either beer. Always have a few of each in the fridge.
    Premo88, eppCOS and keithmurray like this.