Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

The Beer You Once Hated Only To Love Later On

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ilovelampandbeer, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Ilovelampandbeer

Beer Trader

i used to despise weihenstephaner hefeweissbier, nearly drain poured it lol i bought it yesterday and i absolutely adore it. complete 180...maybe its a change of pace from stouts, and ipas; maybe its a matter of palate maturation, or both...anyone have that recently

2. RblWthACoz

It isn't recent, but I hated my first Cantillon; Gambrinus, I think. Definitely feel the opposite now.

Shagator and 1up like this.
  3. abraxel

The first rauchbier I ever had (it was from Aecht Schlenkerla, but I forget which beer specifically) was a struggle... I shared it with a friend and neither of us could handle it, so the majority went down the drain, sadly.

Nowadays, I love 'em, and my most common critique of smoked beers is "not enough smoke" :)

brewduder, TastyIsBeer, 1up and 5 others like this.
  4. Keffa

Beer Trader

White Rajah is mine. I had it 3 times within a span of 6 months, twice on tap, once on cask. Hated it all 3 times, especially on cask. Decided to get a six pack last New Year's Eve, and it was fantastic, almost like it was a totally different beer.

5. TequilaSauer

My first sour, Duchesse de Bourgogne. Hated it for years. One day, it just clicked.

6. 1BadblueSS

It has to be Guinness for me.

1up, KS1297 and jshusc like this.
  7. nas5755

Stouts or a bitter porter

8. Dan269605

I have to go with Old Rasputin, I had too early in my discovery of craft beer, it was too much then, but now it is pretty much archetypal.

9. ipamonster

I find it works just the opposite. There are plenty of beers that I used to really like that I can barely tolerate now.

10. whatname

The 1st IPA I ever drank was flower power and I thought it was going to kill me...now I can't get enough of it and all other ipas.

lucasj82, tmm313, ufmj and 3 others like this.
  11. HenrikO

Had a Lou Pepe Kriek. Hated it. Now I seek it out.

12. vurt

Beer Trader

All sours and most IPAs. They all seemed one-dimensional, and it wasn't a dimension I liked. I just had to find the one that clicked, the one that opened up the styles for me.

13. dhouserBG

It has to be Weyerbacher Merry Monks Ale. I remember I originally got it because I thought the picture on the bottles was funny and couldn't stand it. Tried it again a year or so later and it's just like liquid love now.

14. 77black_ships

I never hated them but I didn’t understand the hype behind hoppy beers in the beginning.
    I will never become a hophead but now I do appreciate them a lot more & I feel the need to have a nice DIPA from time to time. I still prefer tropical examples & ones with a bigger malt bone more finding some pure bitter onslaught off-putting.

Other way around, some sours I loved in the beginning, I dislike now, finding them having a too big sweet side to them. Some beers I got way more into like most De Dolle line-up but I always liked them, I just like them more now.

adamette and vurt like this.
  15. olekern

Oddly enough, Lag Cap Stout was this way for me. I *thought* last year when it came out that I would like it better than the Imperial, but no. Something about the Cap was just bitter and yucky and I like the Imp stout much better now.

bigclydeoliver likes this.
  16. Zimbo

Hard to imagine that back in the 80s I actually hated Orval. It was shameful.

17. TastefulNudity

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale.

Saw the rating, saw it at the liquor store, bought it. When it poured black I knew I was in trouble (didn't like stouts at the time). Tasted like bitter motor oil and ground up pine trees. Couldn't do it, pitched half a bomber down the drain.

Now it tastes like hop cones drizzled in dark chocolate. Amazing beer, and probably my favorite year-round from Stone. I'm hoping Smoked Porter does the same thing for me the next time I try it (smoked beers are the one thing I can't handle).

Camjmorton, DemoniChris, nc41 and 2 others like this.
  18. thewrongtone

I was given a SNPA very early in my craftquest, and I hated it. I said it tasted like soapy flowers. Now it's one of my go-to fridge stockers, along with Torpedo.

19. kona14

Love OR...my "go to" stout for 12oz bottles

20. jb123

Beer Trader

funny but bcbs and two hearted....what an idiot i was, now two of my favorites.

21. tkdchampxi

Beer Trader

When I first started drinking beer, I hated all IPAs because they were too bitter and hoppy. Over a decade later, and I drive 7 hours for case of Heady Topper.

And in consideration of the inverse, I used to love drinking things like Sam Summer and Magic Hat #9 (let's not even talk about enjoying some of the BMC beers as a college kid), but now I can only drink beers that are more robust and flavorful

TastyIsBeer and NHhomebrewguy like this.
  22. surfcaster

Beer Trader

90 minute-you always come back to the classics

KS1297 and gillagorilla like this.
  23. USAF77

Stout Beer. What happened is in my mid-20's I started hanging out in German bier stubes, "we have a large German community in Chicago" and my tastes began to alter. I developed a taste for many different types of Ales and Stout became very tasty to me.

At the time, in the 70's and 80's, you had to go to an old school German tavern to get such a selection. One in particular, my favorite, was Resis Bierstube which had a beer garden and its where I developed a discerning palate.

24. DirkDeadeye

Sam Adams.

I had my first one when I was like 19. Holy mother of god this is bitter as fuck! So I went back to drinking Amberbock.

I'm 31 now..and it's not bad. Not as amazing as this double nut brown i'm drinking. But I do enjoy it.

25. SLOBrewCRUZin

Beer Trader

Rayon Vert. It was my first Brett beer, and the first time I had it I thought it tasted like dirty socks (barnyard, horse blanket). Now I seek it out when I want a cheap dose of Brett funk!

Jvrdz24 likes this.
  26. musicman7070

Beer Trader

IPA's in general. Now I can't get enough of them. The smell especially of some IPAs is so intoxicating. I just wish they made freshly hopped scented air fresheners for my house.

tmm313, NHhomebrewguy and MPSTARR like this.
  27. EyePeeAyBryan

Beer Trader

Oaked Arrogant Bastard

28. djaeon

Guinness for me as well.

29. BeerGreg

Beer Trader

Probably six years ago, before I really was interested in craft beers, I bought something based off the label. So gross. A beer called Gumballhead. Suffice to say, I feel differently about it today.

30. crashdavisinoh

Beer Trader

envious by new holland...tried it as part of a flight at the brewpub there and hated it...by the end of the night it is all I would drink.

31. craftbeerfan

I didn't like Cantillon kriek at first, then now I can't forget about it. =)

32. Hdredfern

honestly buy some of the home brew pellets and sprinkle in your car. your welcome

33. Droogins

Brown ales. They always used to taste like metal or pencils to me. Yet here I sit with a Uinta Bristlecone.

34. dbkdev

Sixpoint Resin. Tried it a second time after half a year or so and loved it. First one might have been on the shelf too long.

offthelevel_bytheplumb and Big_V like this.
  35. tree777

Terrapin WnB

I have always loved stouts and I love coffee so naturally I thought I was going to enjoy this..1st sip I said boy was I wrong.. after the 2nd sip I poured it. I told myself never again. Now I buy a 4 pack whenever I see it. One of my top beers. I guess my palate developed over the years.

36. CrackTheSkye

Beer Trader

Has a Storm King back before I ever started drinking craft beer, couldn't even get through the two sips. Tried it again two years later after I had become very familiar with the local micro brewery (the bullfrog brewery) and was down to try anything. Still hated it haha. Finally had it about a year ago in a tasting and loved it. Such a solid forgotten brew. Put it right up there with old raspy

37. sacrelicio

All sours
    IPAs
    Bourbon barrel beers
    Pumking

38. HeelsandEers

Just about any stout. Now, I can't get enough of them.

39. dianimal

The great thing is that you all re-tried these beers you once hated. :)

40. lsummers

I used to really dislike almost everything Lagunitas did. I thought their Sucks and cappuccino stout was good but that's it. Something happened later as I started retrying and retrying their different varieties, I started to like them and even crave them!

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe