The Beer You Would Stand 5 Hours In Line For

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ilovelampandbeer, Nov 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

After thinking about this I would wait in line for 5 or more hours if I could resell the beer for enough money to make it worth the time.

2. BeerBaron666

BeerBaron666 Aspirant (235) May 13, 2009 California
    Trader

chez monus and great. and i did

3. haknort

haknort Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2013 Illinois

I'd guess they wouldn't wait in line. They'd invade the brewery.

spaceman24 likes this.
  4. ChefHopMeister

ChefHopMeister Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2010 Virginia

Too many good beers out there to waste my time trying to procure one in a time suck line.

5. spaceman24

spaceman24 Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2008 Texas

I'd think about it for some crazy awesome variant of BCBS or CBS. Nothing I haven't had before or at least had the "base" beer. I'm not going to take that chance on something I may not care for. And I'd only do it as an "event" with friends, socializing and drinking while waiting.

The older I get, the less interested in this I get, though.

6. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2005 Minnesota

None is a perfectly logical response to the question. I don't think it's anything to get upset over, it's just a bunch of opinions. I think it shows the varying degrees that BAs will go to for beer. I would have fully expected some of these responses.

7. TastyIsBeer

TastyIsBeer Devotee (425) Dec 13, 2006 Illinois

Stood in line for about 3 hours in overcast and 50 degrees at HF in late September, with my wife and 14 month old in tow. I suppose it is a sad commentary on me that I found it worth the wait - thank God for an understanding wife.

8. lucasj82

lucasj82 Zealot (577) Aug 13, 2009 Indiana

Sadly, I would probably wait for more beers than I'd really like to admit, but the chase is part of the fun sometimes.

9. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

No, I really can't.

10. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

I drove 650 miles to Surly, got in line at 3:45 PM. Drank all night, slept in a tent, got up an drank more, and picked up my Darkness at 11 the next morning.

"Technically" I was in line for over 19 hours. I would probably stand in line for PtY but that's about it.

11. regularjohn

regularjohn Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 New Jersey

honestly if you're already going out of your way to attend a special release, yeah you're gonna be waiting in line for a while....silly question though of course no one actually wants to wait 5 hours (???) to get a beer but don't act like you got something better to do :rolling_eyes:

12. DinoFight

DinoFight Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 Arizona

None for me either. Too many other great beers out that are readily available that I don't feel it's worth my time.

13. ThomasMetal75

ThomasMetal75 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2009 Massachusetts

Well, it's not gonna be Bud Light at an over crowded bar on a Friday or Saturday night, I can tell you that!

14. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I would never stand in line for ANY beer. I bought the touted Pliny online, and yes it was freaking fantastic, but if that is top shelf, why would I stand in line for that when I can drink it without standing in line? I've said this before -- beer won't grow you wings. Or cure cancer. Standing in line for beer? No thanks.

Lerxst likes this.
  15. Lerxst

Lerxst Initiate (0) Jun 17, 2005 Florida

I'm another one of the "none" crowd. I will make a bit of a drive to acquire a particular beer I want but I will not wait in a line for 5 hours just to grab a particular beer.

No aspersions on those of you that want too. I just can't do it. If you want to, then there's more for you because I'm not there.

16. AaronRodgersMVP12

AaronRodgersMVP12 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2013 Wisconsin

in all honesty the beer would have to be free or cheap. I would stand in line for 5 hours for a case of coffee that was marked down to like 60 bucks. other than something like that, no thank you

17. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (448) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

Smartphn

18. VDODSON

VDODSON Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 North Dakota

Change the thread to a half hour, five hours is ridiculous. Might as well be one of those idiots camping out at Best Buy on Brown Thursday.

Ilovelampandbeer likes this.
  19. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

i laughed way too hard at this

20. BedetheVenerable

BedetheVenerable Meyvn (1,142) Sep 5, 2008 Missouri

If I had an iPod with a good audiobook (say, Name of the Wind, Hunger Games, or Game of Thrones) and didn't have to take off work for it....

-Say, anything special from several English breweries (Black Sheep, Durham, Fullers, etc) if I lived in the UK
    -Some of the one-offs from New Glarus
    -If St. Bernardus Christmas Ale was extremely limited
    -King Henry/Sucaba/Double DBA

Other than that, likely, no thanks

21. JISurfer

JISurfer Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2002 South Carolina

I would for Red Tick Beer

22. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (304) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

Technically it was this haul on Friday.

[​IMG]

Left the house at 4, got in line by 5:30, store opened at 9. left for home at 9:30.

23. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (471) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

The only thing I've come even close to standing that long for was Kate the Great I think in 2009. Ended up getting there and getting my ticket - this is when they were handing out calendar pages as the tickets - around 6 or so, was able to go get a snack and a cup of BADLY needed coffee, and was back in line around 7 or so for opening time at 11. At the time I wasn;t sure if I was going to make it inside, but a lot of people apparently gave up and left (it was cold and raining that day) and I was in for tapping time besides getting my allotment.

24. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (2,140) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

i'd stand in line for five hours for free super bowl tickets ...

for any kind of beer? nope. i'm not mad about it; i just wouldn't do it.

25. the_trystero

the_trystero Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2013 California

Zero. 15 min max. I'd pay cash for the opportunity but I'd never wait 5 hours for anything unless it was a food line after the impending collapse of western civilization.

I've only had PtY when there was no line.

26. All4MeNone4You

All4MeNone4You Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2013 Idaho

I enjoy beer for the people as much as the beer itself. There's never been a line I haven't had a good time in. Some people seem to despise the idea of hanging out with their friends, or people who love beer as they do, often drinking with them, while waiting to buy beer. It must be so horrible for some people to do these things.

I've gone to numerous concerts and sporting events just for the tailgating. Often the journey surpasses the final destination as the superior experience.

MortalKombat14 and joh02034 like this.
  27. VDODSON

VDODSON Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 North Dakota

wtf are you talking about?

28. joh02034

joh02034 Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2013 New York

Showed up to Surly Darkness Day at 5am and waited 4 hours for a wristband. Why? Because I have a big boy job and can't chase trucks around on weekdays to buy marked up bottles 2 at a time. I also gift many bottles so going to the source is the best option. Plus hanging out with friends is always fun.

29. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

i agree...roadtrips too...recently drove 6 hours both ways for the vermont trifecta...most people would think driving 6 hours for beer is crazy but a lot of the fun was the roadtrip itself w friends

IPAIsaac and All4MeNone4You like this.
  30. Treezilla

Treezilla Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2013 Colorado

Definitely wouldn't stand for 5 hours, ive waited in a bar for a couple hours for younger, thats a hell of a lot easier than standing the whole time.

31. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Disciple (310) Jan 4, 2012 Indiana

For "A" Beer? No way.

For a beer party with some of the best beers ever made? Dark Lord Day, every time!

32. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (471) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I should add that I did go to Dark Lord Day a couple years ago, and spent at least that amount of time. However, actually waiting in line was probably an hour or so before my time came up, and then another half hour, 45 minutes or so once in to get through the cattle line to get the beer itself. The rest of the time was hanging around, talking to people, trying beers and giving samples of mine.

33. LeperJim

LeperJim Meyvn (1,121) Feb 10, 2008 Ohio
    Society

You know, when you put it that way, it does give me...pause.

34. brian4beer

brian4beer Initiate (180) Jan 27, 2013 Indiana
    Trader

Two types of waiting in line for beer in my opinion. The festival type where u can bottle share in line. Like at DLD and I am all for this as that is part of the fun. Waiting in line at a liquor store for five hours however is different and I personally would not.

35. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Weather would dictate, and scarcity too. 20 degrees out forget it, 90 and humid no way .

36. AgentZero

AgentZero Poo-Bah (2,371) Jul 19, 2009 Illinois

None, the beer has to wait 5 hours for me.

Also, LH12.

37. rxeight

rxeight Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2012 Illinois

Total in line waiting for 2013 darklord day (including IP tix) was probably around 5 hours.

38. millionsuns

millionsuns Initiate (183) Dec 6, 2008 Maine
    Trader

An hour in line for the Westy brick last year was worth it.

If we're talking a semi-large amount of beer and not a single bottle, I'd do an hour max. Anything beyond that requires a level of dedication that I do not possess. Unless I could drink while doing it...in gorgeous weather...without the kids.

Yeah, that's not happening.

Ilovelampandbeer likes this.
  39. OTB

OTB Zealot (503) Sep 2, 2011 California

Could not agree more.

Cheers,

40. kkoehnlein

kkoehnlein Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2008 Pennsylvania

Heady Topper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.