The beers that made you the drinker you are now

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by guinness77, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Dandrewjohn

Dandrewjohn Disciple (386) Apr 13, 2013 Texas
    Society

Saint Arnold Amber Ale: I realized that more hops and malt than the megabrews I drank opened a whole new universe for me. North Coast Old Rasputin: OMG!!! How do you describe this the first time? Huge.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  2. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (10,116) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Too easy (for me)!

Mine is a shopworn tale, retold MANY times. I was a young sailor on my first overseas deployment in 1985 & my first overseas liberty port was Barcelona, Spain. An impromptu visit to a punk rock nightclub in The Gut put me onto a bartender who introduced us to aged Chimay (Red) with a flourish. I was off & running (often running) thereafter.

My first brewpub microbrew was at Triple Rock in Berkeley while stationed at NAS Alameda, CA. My mother relocated to Chico from PA in 1987 so I had access to Sierra Nevada, plus my uncle lived in SF while teaching at SFSU & Anchor was another early one for me.

It was shortly after I retired in 1998, while visiting the nascent Victory BC in Downingtown, that I made the Hop Devil's acquaintance. The Devil is a female & a temptress at that! She lured me in, danced seductively on my tongue & slipped away, leaving me licking my lips for her taste. Little did I know that she was a pusher & suddenly, I was hooked! My hops jones knew no boundaries. I would sneak hops pellets under my tongue & into my pocket on brewery tours. The hops monkey on my back grew into a roaring gorilla! It was hops, hops & more hops, all of the time. Fermentor Lew Bryson @therealbeerfly turned me on to Noble hops & I Czeched out on Saaz, man. Baby, I was a hops freak, wearing a knitted/crocheted hop head hat to fests! Then my hero, Stan Hieronymus, published "Hops" & now I knew everything that I wanted to know but was too afraid to ask. Now, I simply chip at my habit, having gotten right.

Dig my scene, baby. If this gig could hoppen to me, it CAN hoppen to you! It's groovy at first, but then the hops jones kicks in and you'll find yourself looking to score IPAs at all hours of the day & night. Homebrewers let you score, but only out the back door, away from prying eyes. Next, yer in an IPA den, on a filthy mattress, downing an IPA before going on the nod. Time, $ and life floats away on a lupulin cloud. Yer woman takes to wearing an essential oil made from the fresh hops harvested from the bines strung up in the backyard just to get yer attention for a precious few moments before you shotgun an IPA out of a CAN. The hops don't happen quickly enough & before long, you relocate to Yakima, WA just to be closer to the source. Then one night, you and a fellow hophead are freebasing hops near the dryers & it starts a fire that destroys a full 1/3 of the year's harvest! Having seen the light, you grow a beard to become incognito & slink back to PA. Hops still have a hold, but it is manageable. Just sayin'.

guinness77, eppCOS and jrc1093 like this.
  3. Dachs

Dachs Initiate (67) Oct 17, 2014 Ohio

For me it was Miller High Life, New Glarus and Leinenkugels. High Life got me started in beer and New Glarus/Leinie's helped me to explore beers that were more than fizzy and yellow.

Milktoast75 likes this.
  4. zid

zid Meyvn (1,355) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I'm happy to say that the Marston's brewed version is here in the states and it hasn't been just one batch either. Drinking one now. Ahonky, you'll be happy to know I picked it up at NY's Total Wine. I don't know how to interpret the gibberish date code, but it tastes great and that store put some stock on the shelves not too long ago.

TongoRad likes this.
  5. LongTaco15

LongTaco15 Disciple (385) Feb 4, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I would have to say Sam Adams and Founders.
    Sam Adams Lager and Oktoberfest sparked my interest to seek out different beers.
    Founders turned me to the dark side with Breakfast Stout, Imperial Stout, and KBS.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  6. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,117) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

Anchor Steam (the first beer I bought legally, with my own ID)
    Pliny ('nuff said, still my GOAT)
    Alpine Nelson (OG)
    Fiddlehead Mastermind (my first truly "juicy" beer)
    Yuengling (came to this late through my GF's PA roots)

7. beer_beer

beer_beer Aspirant (236) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

In my pre NA beer era among the domestic lagers especially Karjala, and countered by Guinness dry stout. They were like friends, even though we didn't meet for a long time during my whisky era they must have been there just waiting to pop up, in some form.

Since when coming back to beer a year ago, NA this time, practically every one counts, partly because the different available beers are in the tens/hundreds, not thousands. I respect practically all so far.

#167 beer_beer, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  8. warrendietrich2001

warrendietrich2001 Savant (921) Feb 13, 2013 Nevada
    Society Trader

For me it was Sierra Nevada they were the first regularly available pale ale that was hands down better than the Henry Weinhards I had been drinking.

Than Lagunitas came around and they were local and tap at every bar I would go to. Seemed classy to order a Lagunitas when everyone else was drinking Heineken.

Than I found my first brew pub Mendocino Brewing and the Red Tail Ale became my thing. Really liked going to the place that brewed the beer.

Finally Pliny changed my world. A local beer that tasted out of this world that also had a brew pub! Not only did Pliny open my eyes to fresh beer it was something I could use as trade bait to try other beers. I can promise you without Pliny opening my eyes and being used to trade there is no way I would have tried the 1854 beers I have checked in on BA.

guinness77 likes this.
  9. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,047) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

early 90s: Sam Adams (Lager, Ale)
    SNPA (x 200 other posts apparently, see above)
    Molson Export (hey, I didn't say I was a smart young drinker)
    Samuel Smith (oatmeal stout, yes!)
    mid-90s:
    Celis White (90s, Austin, you know if you know...)
    Waterloo IPA (Austin) - decent, then gone...

PAUSE - ignore beer for a decade or so... with momentary lapses of Tecate

2013: Half Acre Space IPA and (all of what they make, seriously) - converted fully (back?) to craft.

guinness77 likes this.
  10. WoodsSpecial

WoodsSpecial Initiate (16) Mar 19, 2018 Maine

Shipyard and Stone were probably most likely my craft gateway beers. Before that it was a lot of high life.

11. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,231) Jan 6, 2014 New York

Oh, the irony here. Time is a flat circle.

cjgiant, Tdizzle and zid like this.
  12. AllOfTheCats

AllOfTheCats Aspirant (220) Mar 27, 2018 California
    Trader

Founders Imperial Stout - The first imperial stout that I truly loved and became a staple purchase.

Goose Island Bourbon County - My first flavor explosion and my true introduction to BA beers.

guinness77 likes this.
  13. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Zealot (522) Dec 19, 2006 California

New Belgium Fat Tire
    Sam Adams Black Lager
    Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
    Stone Pale Ale, Levitation Ale, IPA, and Ruination IPA -- back in 2006.

guinness77 likes this.
  14. lastmango

lastmango Champion (867) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society

Well . . . I am going back to the 70s when I discovered German beer. Dinkelacker, Dortmunder Union, Hacker Pschorr, and Becks. Then came Guinness stout. Fast forward to the 80s, the first microbrewery in Maryland, I believe was Oxford. And in NC - Weeping Radish. Stopped drinking for many years and then in the 2000s, I had my first Founders Backwoods Bastard. OMG! Have not stopped searching for the perfect beer since. :slight_smile:

guinness77 likes this.
  15. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (113) May 28, 2008 Florida

Duvel. Samples poured from a magnum at a long closed craft beer bar.

Most anything from from the dearly departed Bandersnatch Pub in Tempe, AZ. RIP.

Bell's Two-Hearted Ale. Astounding brew!

Funky Buddha Nib Smuggler. Yeah, I like my MBCP, but this one takes the prize.

16. Spaten454

Spaten454 Disciple (367) Aug 23, 2012 Texas
    Trader

Spaten Optimator all through high school and it wasn't until Olde Hickory Event Horizon opened my eyes to what beers could be.

17. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,991) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Victory Hop Devil was my first ipa, a terrific beer. The real change came with my first Hopslam, forever ago. Ya know when it was still good. :wink:

JackHorzempa likes this.
  18. Ollie63

Ollie63 Initiate (53) Nov 30, 2018 Ohio
    Trader

Columbus Bodhi and Uinta Hop Nosh

seakayak likes this.
  19. KLHBB

KLHBB Zealot (509) Feb 9, 2014 Colorado

I’ve had this discussion with my family. The first beer that made me sit up and take notice was the brown ale New Castle. My adventure began but for quite awhile I considered beer to be red, brown and yellow. But then in a pizza place in Salt Lake City, they had over a hundred options with lots of verbiage about them all. The menu was a book. The story behind a Trappist Dubbel caught my attention and I ordered it, OMG. Down the rabbit hole I went.

zid, Mickt465 and thesherrybomber like this.
  20. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (128) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

The drinker I am today? I like the unique and strange beers that are out there, I'm like the Fox Mulder of craft beer, so I would have to say Ballast Point's Indra Kunindra made me who I am today with regards to beers I seek. The more unorthodox the better, as long as its good, I welcome the strange. (side note, I wasn't a fan of a full pour of Indra but the first two sips were magical, while the rest...well lets just say I made a habit of buying the beer to marinate meats in.)

21. Mickt465

Mickt465 Initiate (155) Sep 12, 2016 New Hampshire
    Trader

After spending most of high school drinking the cheapest 30 racks that we could convince the dirtiest looking guy in the grocery store parking lot to buy...Sam Adams' old Spring brew. The unfiltered white ale. Newcastle Brown Ale.

lastmango and thesherrybomber like this.
  22. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,168) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Early 80's drank some anchor steam here and there, but mostly old style and reihnlander (came from wisc. In those heavy cardboard cases that flipped up ) and Miller. Late '90's early 2000's was Sam Adams and also Michelob had a variety pk with a marzen and I liked that, and Sam Adams winter came old fezzlewig. Around 2013 or so anti-hero and that right there propelled me into ipa's. So for porters stouts and quads, tripels and such, this site taught me about.

#182 laketang, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Mickt465 likes this.