The Best 19 Beers of 2019

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by officerbill, Nov 3, 2019.

1. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (378) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

Beer and Brewing magazine's 2019 list of their editors 19 best beers.
    https://beerandbrewing.com/the-best-19-beers-of-2019/

Their comment regarding Russian River could apply to most any of the quality brewers who have passed the test of time
    Surprisingly balanced. Hopped beers dominate (including an American pilsner brewed in Germany), but most common styles are represented.
    I've had the Weihenstephaner Korbinian and Allagash's White; there's a helles from KC Bier I'd love to try.

EMH73, eppCOS, meefmoff and 3 others like this.
  2. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,966) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

Good list. It's nice to see a list like that that's different from the norm. I've only had a couple of the beers on there but would love to try most of them.

SFACRKnight and officerbill like this.
  3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,185) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

This is probably the best "Best of..." articles that I have ever read (and I have read a lot of them).

Cheers to @officerbill for posting it!

Bshaw22, eppCOS, rgordon and 2 others like this.
  4. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,254) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Not sure how these are supposed to be the best beers "of 2019" when many of them, probably all, have been avaialable for many years before 2019.

desint, beertunes and Sheppard like this.
  5. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (1,837) Jun 18, 2010 New York

This may be the first "Best" list that I actually found interesting. Won't get into the debate of what was excluded, whether older beers should be included.... Just solely on variety of styles it was worthy of a read.

6. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,356) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

BA modem tones was my favorite beer from GABF by a mile. My group had at least 6 pours that I recall.

The descriptors of korbinian remind me I need to pick that beer up.

Bshaw22 and officerbill like this.
  7. bouncepass

bouncepass Devotee (410) Oct 3, 2006 California
    Trader

I thought I was alone in loving Schonramer Pils. I'm really happy to see others sharing my opinion. If it's this good at questionable freshness, I wonder how good it can be closer to the source...

hopfenunmaltz and officerbill like this.
  8. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,149) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Can confirm on the Modern Times stouts....doing a good job over there...

9. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,077) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

When I think of "Best Of" personally, I think of best new beers and usually it's new to me. I guess we all have different criteria for how we judge "best of." Of this list, I would say that beers like Allagash White deserve to have a constant presence on these lists. Perhaps it's the stigma of being a beer that everyone, even those not into beer, liked, but I scoffed at it for a while. I've realized how wrong I was about it and how perfect it is, for one drink, for a session. I would actually like to see a "Best New" list though (or perhaps contribute to one).

officerbill likes this.
  10. JTW10

JTW10 Initiate (57) Nov 25, 2013 Pennsylvania

Best of 2019? Three words:

BAM
    BUR
    ANA

keithmurray likes this.
  11. rgordon

rgordon Savant (983) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Jack, I completely agree. This was a sensible and very thoughtful list that credits the new and lauds the standards. Very well written, for sure.

12. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Savant (977) May 2, 2010 Ohio

Another list of beers that most of us will never have.

IPAExpert69 and ChainGangGuy like this.
  13. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,420) Sep 24, 2007 Kyrgyzstan
    Trader

And, there's still 1/6 of the year left.

14. defunksta

defunksta Defender (629) Jan 18, 2019 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah... I've only heard of a few of beers on the that list. The regionalism and local allegiance to beer is what makes it fun though. However, I cannot relate to this list.

Bitterbill likes this.
  15. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,356) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Jack, I am usually not a fan of lists and beer ratings, but since its inception @jbogner and the crew at CB&B have been putting together the best rag in the industry. Check them out at a news stand near you.

Bitterbill, sharpski, rgordon and 2 others like this.
  16. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,546) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

I give this article a standing ovation. I haven't had many of these beers, but the breweries names are reputable, a really nice mix of styles and paying hommage to German beers, and you could tell the writer had a true vast knowledge of craft beer and articulated very well. Hopefully this guy/gal continues to pump out articles to better represent craft beer amongst all of those clueless click-bait crap writers that are out there.

Bitterbill and officerbill like this.
  17. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,470) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Schönramer Pils is bitter and has a hoppy aroma, but it is not what I would call an American Pils. The article never stayed that. I spent a few days at the brewery and the Auschanck in the next village. The Schönramer Helles, Kellerbier, and Pils are all first rate.

The Pils is dry and bitter, but no more than Jever Pils. There are very nice hop aromas, but many other German Pilsners have that, fresh König Pils is an example. It is just a classic example that hasn't been dumbed down.

#17 hopfenunmaltz, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  18. hopfenunmaltz

I wish we could get it in MI.

19. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (378) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

Thanks for clearing that up.
    made me think they were trying to imitate a high-hopped American style pilsner. I'm glad that's not the case.

20. hopfenunmaltz

The brewery does have a line of Craft beers, those are all bottled from what I could tell.

The brewer is an American, Eric Toft, who went to the Weihenstephan brewing school. He has been working on Germany for a long time, and is well known in Germany and the US.

Bitterbill and officerbill like this.
  21. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,642) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

People always seem to get caught on this. The article doesn't say best new beers of 2019 - it says best beers of 2019.

It doesn't make any sense. Athletes can win medals and awards each season, even beer can win awards across multiple years.

officerbill likes this.
  22. Harrison8

Society Trader

Great to see KC Bier on the list. Their Helles Lager is fantastic, with many other great options.

Thanks for sharing!

officerbill likes this.
  23. spersichilli

spersichilli Initiate (115) Apr 26, 2018 Florida
    Trader

It’s a decent list and definitely interesting but there are a few things I have a problem with.

Instead of the Shonramer I would’ve picked Birrifico Tipopils which is a similar beer but has been much more influential on trends here in the US.

“Modern Times stouts” is a cop out. Pick one! Just put one of the MT ultra set or Monster Tones and call it a day.

I personally would’ve picked a different Other Half beer but AGE is defendable

going with more obscure stuff is cool but I think it went a little too far into that with this list. I really think these lists should partly be the most influential beers of the year and partly the “best” beers.The list needs a HF wild ale for sure (Samuel, as found on Alex Kidd’s list), a Suarez pilsner, an Eighth State stout/BW, Cycle More Rare Scoop, and stuff along those lines. I actually much prefer Alex Kidd’s list to this one

I mean even going off of their “ratings”, Barrel Aged Abraxas, Side Project BVC, Amalgam Underground Breakfast, and Great Notion BA double stack all scored 99’s, so those should probably be included. Other Half BA pastrytown VIP score a 100! How does that not make the top 19? It’s also personally one of my favorite beers of the year. Especially with the national trend towards big bold flavors I would’ve expected to see a few more imperial stouts

#23 spersichilli, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  24. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (213) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Allagash White lmao, rest of the list is very intriguing and chock full of beers I have personally never had the pleasure of tasting. Looking forward to changing that, perhaps with the Lawson's triple!

Bitterbill and HouseofWortship like this.
  25. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,123) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

Seasonal creep knows no bounds.

officerbill likes this.
  26. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Defender (689) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

My thoughts exactly. I've only had Allagash White and though I have never been disappointed by it, it also tends to be a default option when I can't find something more interesting to me on a menu.

I may have to close my beer advocate account after admitting I haven't had the other 18 (or heard of most of them)...

IPAExpert69 likes this.
  27. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,624) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Some definite winners on there. I'm guessing those are just the random favorite beers they tried this year? I mean, some are brand new and others have been around forever. If I had to make a list like that I suppose mine would be all over the place, too.

28. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,881) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I've had the Allagash, Crooked Stave and the Weihenstephaner. That's pretty good for where I am located.

Doodler and SFACRKnight like this.
  29. Livyatan1996

Livyatan1996 Devotee (480) Sep 29, 2017 Missouri

i really wish civil life would can that brown ale of there's cause it is scrumptious and straightforward good beer, but that'd probably take away a bit of the fun. really glad to see them on here among some of these more hyped breweries.

30. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Zealot (511) Mar 19, 2012 California

Nice article....Unfortunately, I haven't tried any of the beers...

31. marquis

marquis Crusader (790) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

Strange how the UK is again under represented, the place where the "craft revolution" began and has one brewery for each 20 000 inhabitants.

rgordon likes this.
  32. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Defender (689) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

We can blame the UK's poor judgement in marketing beer- they should have coined the term UK Pale Ale rather than India Pale Ale....We'd all be talking about going crazy for the latest UKPA rather than IPA...

33. not2quick

not2quick Devotee (417) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

They do can it. It's not always available but it does happen from time to time.

JLaw55 and Livyatan1996 like this.
  34. Harrison8

Society Trader

Publication is based out of Fort Collins, Colorado.

How many of these UK breweries distribute, particularly to the USA? How many attend major US beer festivals? I would expect they don't have many occasions to try UK beers in comparison with USA examples.

35. Livyatan1996

Livyatan1996 Devotee (480) Sep 29, 2017 Missouri

i didn't know they canned any of their beers until i saw one at the store just a bit ago, and then i come home to see this message. there's hope for my back porch and civil life finally. cheers

36. afterexile

afterexile Initiate (126) Nov 29, 2005 Pennsylvania

Nice to see Weihenstephaner's Korbinian on the list. My all time favorite beer.