The BEST Light beer IS...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SerialTicker, Aug 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

TheBrewo likes this.
  2. Ljudsignal

Ljudsignal Jul 19, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

As always with articles/videos like this, the comments provide the best entertainment.

"Uhhhh not bug light at all! Bud in general ranked 316TH!!! of the worlds best beers! hands down the best light beer is michelob ultra! only people who like drinking expensive water or things that taste like #$%$ drink miller, bud, PBR, put some more money on the table and drink real beer like yuengling."

Jenny from the Internet, you slay me. Also ISO this "Bug Light" stuff, sounds tasty.
  3. SerialTicker

Stupid Jenny.
  4. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Aug 21, 2005 Minnesota

A berliner weiss. Marissa Mayer needs to address Yahoo's horrible journalism.
    dhannes, joelwlcx and Hugonaut13 like this.
  5. Jumbolaya

Jumbolaya Jul 27, 2013 Colorado

I know this wasn't a serious inquiry, but Cisco Sankaty Light Lager is actually pretty damn good. I used to drink it all the time during the summer when I lived in Mass.
  6. digita7693

digita7693 Jan 19, 2010 Germany
    Beer Trader

Upright Lite
  7. superspak

superspak May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Dupont Avril
  8. rjniles

rjniles Aug 30, 2012 South Carolina

I don't drink much light beer but I will take a Sam Adams Light if offered and nothing else is available.
  9. beercanman

beercanman Dec 17, 2012 Ohio

That video was painful to watch. I was sipping an chocolate yeti when he said amstel was Hoppy and about started to cry.
  10. victory4me

victory4me Oct 16, 2004 Pennsylvania

I'll be honest and say that the best Light Beer is Bud Select 55.

My reasoning being that it's the only commercial beer that's readily available that's 2.5% alcohol. It serves it's purpose very well, it's refreshing, it's 55 calories, it has very little carbs.

Name a different beer I can walk in to the beer store today and purchase that has all of that going on.
    Baab200 likes this.
  11. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I think the closest most of us on BA get to light beer is some brewery or other's session ale, such as Founders All Day IPA.
  12. RobertColianni

RobertColianni Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania

You're kidding me, right?
  13. jbertsch

jbertsch Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

Where is Guinness in that lineup?
  14. DougC123

DougC123 Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

Wachusett Light IPA is actually pretty good.
    Andrew041180 and ChrisChagnon like this.
  15. abcramer

abcramer Feb 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

I very seldom drink light beer, and can't say that I've had all that's out there. But, the best one I recall is Sam Adams Light. At least there's a little flavor in that one.
    oshkoshthejosh likes this.
  16. Ragnarok88

Ragnarok88 May 30, 2013 Minnesota

Brau Brothers Old 56
  17. douginromeo

douginromeo Apr 1, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

New Glarus Thumbprint Berliner Weiss - refreshing and low abv. Trying August Schell's Star of the North Berliner Weiss today - haven't been excited about a 3.5% abv beer in a while!
  18. bditty187

bditty187 Jul 10, 2002 Nebraska

Point Drop Dead Blonde
  19. Flibber

Flibber Jul 27, 2013 United Kingdom (England)

Might Mann's Brown Ale count? 2.8%, always really cheap and quite tasty.
  20. Derranged

Derranged Mar 7, 2010 New York

I kind of like Bud Light Platinum, even though technically it isn't really a light beer.

*prepares for the swarm of beer geeks chasing me out of the forum with Chimay bottle Molotov cocktails*
    Roguer, djsmith1174 and Flibber like this.
  21. DougC123

I guess it depends on if you think light refers to alcohol content or calories. Normally they track together, but Platinum seems to have broken the association to a point, 6% and only 137 calories.
    PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  22. Derranged

What's the calorie limit for light beers? I base it on the abv, flavor and mouthfeel I guess. To me its more like a light-ish malt liquor.
  23. Asics

Asics Jul 28, 2012 Washington

Bud Light Platinum wasn't terrible but my personal guilty favorite would be Coors Light. I have a soft spot for Canadian light lagers though, living on the border had its "perks."

The worst has to be Keystone Light though. I can drink beer flavored water but that junk is just awful.
  24. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

How could he judge those beers without a palate cleanser????????

In all seriousness, Miller High Life is light enough for me.
  25. SerialTicker

I had a line-up of Labatt, Labatt Light, Miller Lite, and Leinenkugel Summer Shandy on Thursday and, naturally, Labatt was the best.
  26. nc41

nc41 Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

If and when I drink BMC I opt for Miller Lite, it won't kill you, and yes its kinda flavorless when ice cold, but for a low ABV brew at the pool it's ok. When your hot and you want to slam one down it works well too. You wont get Cooties drinking one, promise.
    wborr82 likes this.
  27. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

The best one I've ever had was an American premium lager from a tiny little nano-brewery in Brevard, NC called Brevard Brewing Company. Their Pilsener was pretty killer as well.
  28. DougC123

Not really sure how that is a light beer. It is 4.9, I'd say it is just beer.
  29. lovethebelgians

lovethebelgians Apr 25, 2013 Iowa

I have to interject you said that beer flavored water is junk, then technically you should never have drank coors light because that stuff is water.
  30. lovethebelgians

Hands down in my opinion if we're talking light on the ABV it is Yuengling lager. Ice cold, those beers still taste amazing and they won't fill you up. Drank that stuff like water in Delaware when I was in the service.
  31. SerialTicker

What *IS* light beer? I'd figure about 4.5% or lower. Maybe under 5%? I know a light beer isn't always determined by ABV.
  32. bkov33

bkov33 Dec 5, 2007 New Jersey

yuengling makes a light version also
  33. SerialTicker

That beer would be MUCH too hoppy!
  34. 5thOhio

5thOhio May 13, 2007 South Carolina

The BEST Light beer IS... oxymoron.
    PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  35. Asics

Asics Jul 28, 2012 Washington

Like the old saying goes, "it's like sex in a canoe..."
  36. Danny1217

Danny1217 Jul 15, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

My homebrew berliner dry hopped with Nelson Sauvin
    jwjon1 likes this.
  37. lovethebelgians

haha, I have never heard that saying but I like it
  38. Derranged

Last time I had this was about a year ago, holy crap I've never tasted so much corn in a beer before, it tasted like carbonated liquid corn chips. Not undrinkable though.
  39. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Feb 16, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

Raspberry Tart is like 4% right? Maybe too much other sugars for "light" but I would be happy drinking it all day and calling it a light beer.
  40. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

Monty Python
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!