THE best way for stores to handle limited releases

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by lwburns15, Apr 5, 2013.

1. lwburns15

lwburns15 Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

Stores should sell limited release beers to their customers that have bought the most beer from that brewer over the past year.

This would be easy to keep track of. Binny's as well as many other liquor stores have rewards cards that track their customers purchases. Use this to inform customers that they have the option to buy a limited release beer. Distribute however the store sees fit, singles, four pack, six pack, etc.

The distributors are using these releases to reward stores that sell a lot of a brewer's product. Stores should in turn do this for their customers. This will prevent people from running all over town clearing out stores that they otherwise never shop at. It will also stop the endless phone calls to stores to see if they have the latest release yet or if they have a list. Kind of a FwB program for liquor stores.

If you want Goose Island's, Founder's, etc. limited releases, buy their regular releases year round!

jrnyc likes this.
  2. stupac2

stupac2 Feb 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

There's no best way to do releases, there are only ways that are more or less beneficial to different groups of people. As long as there are many stores using a variety of methods there should be a way for everyone to get some.

3. sbxx

sbxx Mar 21, 2011 Illinois

It should all be first come first serve. Lists, seniority, all that shit is stupid.

4. bryanole27

bryanole27 Jun 24, 2011 North Carolina

The BEST way is the one that gets me my bottles;)

5. IlliniPi

IlliniPi May 24, 2010 Illinois

There's no perfect system. You can never stop the phone calls.

steebo777, dman5400 and willseph like this.
  6. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Mar 19, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

What a can of worms. Thread guaranteed to be locked in 3....2....1

7. boilermakerryan

boilermakerryan Nov 8, 2011 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Place by me does theirs by announcing on FB and Twitter that they are having a release (which typically includes multiple bottle releases) at a certain time and on a certain day. They post what they are releasing and it's a lottery 1 name per bag and it's luck of the draw.

I personally do not think that there will ever be a perfect way to release bottles until breweries are able to release more than just 1 or 2 cases per region as was the case in NWI.

8. lwburns15

Wrong, wrong, and wrong. Sell the limited releases to the people that buy the brewers beer all year.

These releases have become a stupid game of calling and running around everywhere to stores people have never been in before. What a waste of time and gas and what a hassle for the people working at these stores.

The breweries and distributors take care of the stores that sell their product. Stores should take care of the customers that buy that product. They should not waste their time dealing with all of these guys that only want to buy the latest hyped beer that they heard about on Beer Advocate or whatever other website.

jrnyc, williamDbar and deadmule like this.
  9. DrWalterWhite

DrWalterWhite Jan 25, 2012 Illinois

This sounds like it would be a good way to do it. I also like how Vav did his KBS release by saying it will be at a certain time instead of whenever the truck gets there, even though I couldn't make it there.

I understand the merit of FCFS, but it makes it almost impossible for those of us that have 9-5 type gigs. If it wasn't for lists, seniority, etc. I would never get any limited releases.

10. loki993

loki993 Apr 16, 2009 Michigan

there is none is the correct answer. No matter how you do it people will be upset about it and some people will not get some. Its basically a losing situation no matter how you do it.

In fact the best way would probably be not to sell it at all lol

11. Holiday1072

Holiday1072 Nov 18, 2008 Michigan

12. lwburns15

It's not about finding a way that leaves nobody upset. It's about distributing the limited releases to people that buy regular releases of a breweries beer and support them year round. I could not care less about all the guys that feel entitled to get ever limited release and cry about it on this and other website when they don't get what they feel they deserve. Those guys should all go back to their college sororities and have a good cry over the injustice.

13. JM03

JM03 Nov 12, 2010 Ohio

The best way is for each store to decide however they want to do it. No matter what happens, people will be pissed off. As far as I'm concerned, the store has the right to sell their beer however they see fit. Don't like it, then don't shop there.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  14. sbxx

I've missed out too due to work. It happens.

No matter what system is utilized, someone is gonna get screwed. That's the nature of a limited release.

15. sbxx

How much less could you care?

16. DrWalterWhite

I disagree completely. No one has to get screwed. I agree that not everyone will be able to get every release, but it can be handled in a way that is fair to everyone and gives everyone the same chance. Saying you are releasing it on X day at X time is a very fair way to do it.

17. lwburns15

I fixed it, thank you grammar Nazi.

dlello2 likes this.
  18. thereal

thereal Apr 20, 2010 Illinois

I only like barrel aged beers. Also, guys are not allowed into sororities.

aasher likes this.
  19. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Apr 23, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Oooook, after reading the responses by the OP, I am fairly certain he's trolling, a young child, or has some weird social issues. How about a discussion? There is no definitive right way to do releases, it's all opinion. As others has clearly stated, every way of doing it will piss off some some people. He clearly has no interest in debate. He's right, everyone else is wrong.

thousandfoldthought and sbxx like this.
  20. lwburns15

This leads to crazy lines in front of these stores. Schaumburg Binny's is releasing theirs at 9 AM tomorrow. Head over there to see how crazy this idea is. People will be lined up one or two hours early just to try and get one bottle. What store wants a bunch of guys lined up in front of their store in order to sell one or two hundred dollars worth of beer.

21. zach60614

zach60614 May 1, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

There is no incentive to do this. People will still be pissed plus they would have to do extra work.

22. lwburns15

I'm fairly certain that all the people crying about it not being fair that didn't get a beer, can't be men.

23. BB1313

BB1313 Jul 16, 2009 Ohio

Somebody didn't get KBS ;)

All seriousness, stores can sell it however they like. Nobody should really be entitled to a certain release over anyone, imo. I really like KBS, but the fun got sucked out. I didn't even bother this year. But over the years I realized that I'd always find some where I least expected it, so keep your eyes open.

24. JMagee

JMagee Jan 2, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

These "The Best Way to Handle Limited Releases" only makes the problem worse. There are always going to be people that follow trucks. Always going to be people that call 15 times a day asking if it's in yet. Always going to be people who on release day buy an allotment at 6 different stores all over towns.counties,states etc...

Just don't buy into the hype. Yea, KBS is good, but the hype increases the demand, which further increases the hype and the lengths people will go to get some.

Don't worry about getting an allotment of every beer every time. It's not going to happen, you'll drive yourself insane trying. When it stops being about the beer and only about getting some, in spite of everyone else trying to get some too, you miss out on a lot.

Stumbling in to your local shop and finding a gem on the shelf every so often is a lot more rewarding than chasing trucks and trying to get moar moar moar of limited release beer x, y, and z.

hombrepalo and Kwaz like this.
  25. JM03

JM03 Nov 12, 2010 Ohio

What we need is people to stop thinking they are entitled to every beer that is released.

26. DrWalterWhite

They would rather have phone calls every minute asking if a beer has come in yet? There is no perfect way to do it, but I think the way they are releasing their KBS gives everyone the most equal chance, and will lead to the least amount of pissed off patrons.

27. Lansman

Lansman Mar 19, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I mentioned this before, but there is one store down in St. Louis that puts out rare releases at random times after receiving the product throughout the week or two to follow that allow for people stopping in to buy 'regular' beer to have a chance to pick up the rare beer just sitting out on the shelf. I thought that was quite an interesting way to attempt to 'reward' your 'regular' customers, and it did away with truck chasing, having people wait in line, sign up on a list, etc.

creepinjeeper and otrejo like this.
  28. thereal

Your post doesn't really make any sense, but I was being facetious anyway. I was just being ridiculous, like anyone who thinks there is one answer to solve the issue at hand.

29. lwburns15

Not trolling, young, or any more social issues than the next guy and I am open to a better idea.

These releases have become stupid. People taking off of work to drive around trying to get a few bottles of beer is crazy. It seems like it makes the most sense for shops to stop dealing with people harassing them to get a beer and give these limited releases to the people that buy the beer all year that brings these releases to their store.

If I am being trite in some of my responses it is because I am sick and tired of reading people cry over beer.

30. lwburns15

Fixed it, thanks. Just thinking faster than I type.

Sometimes there is a better way.

31. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Oy vey

sbxx likes this.
  32. BB1313

BB1313 Jul 16, 2009 Ohio

irony

33. shuajw

shuajw Aug 12, 2007 Georgia

Everytime this thread is started, I picture a bunch of beer nerds sitting around a room debating this in the format of a 80's movie montage. An all nighter, with plenty of scribbling and balling up of pieces of paper.

THE ONLY WINNING MOVE IS NOT TO PLAY

lwburns15 and thereal like this.
  34. thereal

Well, I can assure you, despite your casual sexism, that I am indeed a man. A man who cries. Sometimes at Beaches. Sometimes when listening to the smooth strains of John Tesh.

No matter the cause of my tears, I am crying while sitting on my throne of 10 KBS cases. No big deal.

hombrepalo and lwburns15 like this.
  35. OPSippin

OPSippin Sep 18, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

"Binny's as well as many other liquor stores have rewards cards that track their customers purchases."

Pretty big leap there, especially since its the backbone of the whole idea. Of the 6-8 beer stores I regularly frequent, only Binny's has a rewards card, and I don't even use it half the time I go there because their 2% cash back incentive doesn't apply to beer purchases. Not even Whole Foods has a rewards card, as far as I know.

If you want your year-round purchases to increase your odds of a special release, probably just better off to pick a local mom-and-pop, get to know them, and ask about special releases. There's very little chance you, me, or probably anyone else on this site is in the top 24 annual Binny's rewards card accounts, even store-by-store.

36. moshea

moshea Jul 16, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

ummmm..... aren't you the one who started this thread complaining that the current system is not fair?

This is a very confusing thread.

lwburns15, sbxx and thereal like this.
  37. sbxx

I was thinking about that too - There's a lot to be said for random, silent releases.

38. BB1313

BB1313 Jul 16, 2009 Ohio

I was kinda half ass reading this thread, but this is trolling at its finest.. ya got me, feel better?

lwburns15 likes this.
  39. sbxx

Yeah, what kind of retail outlet would want customers with cash/credit cards in hand to line up & pack the store? Silly bastards.

Vav and thousandfoldthought like this.
  40. PDZ

PDZ Jun 26, 2012 Illinois

perhaps some folks save their money for the big releases theyve been waiting for, and cant afford to spend money all year on whatever breweries year-round products.

I also feel like it would discourage people from trying out new beers. "Gotta get 312 again. My goose numbers are low this year, and bcbs is approaching quickly"

Im a 'first come first serve' guy. If youre at work, sorry, it means you probably have a decent job.

Dontcounttoday likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe