The better the beer the better the food at a dining establishment?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by iHeartMNBeer, May 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iHeartMNBeer

iHeartMNBeer Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2013 Minnesota

Has anyone else noticed that the better the beer selection, the better the food selection usually is? This is why I typically choose my restaurants based on the beer they serve ;).

wonothesane42 likes this.
  2. deadliest

deadliest Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2009 Texas

The wine selection is probably a better indication of food quality than the beer selection is, sadly. Some really primo places still have mediocre beer choices(in comparison to the quality of their food anyway).

However it probably is true in general that restaurants that care enough to pick a nice tap selection probably also care enough to make food that doesn't suck.

bigsilky and BlowstotheBody like this.
  3. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Meyvn (1,137) Apr 25, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Not necessarily, but I'm much more likely to frequent an establishment with a great beer selection and only decent food, than a place with great food and only decent beer selection.

Lledd likes this.
  4. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2008 California

As far as beer places go, yes ones with an excellent rotating beer list usually have better food than the "irish pub" type joints that have 15 or so non-rotating mediocre taps.

In the grand scheme of food however, beer seems to be merely an afterthought among the great restaurants.

Lledd likes this.
  5. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (2,544) Oct 14, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

In my experience:

good food =/= good beer

and

good beer =/= good food

...but when it does, watch out!

6. cookiequiz

cookiequiz Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2013 California

I don't know --- Russian River's food is 'eh'.

7. watermelonman

watermelonman Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2004 California

Beer Bites rock, skip the rest.

8. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

Couldn't disagree more. In our current society fine food goes with fine wine, although beer is gaining steam. There are some good beer and food joints but they're just that, good. Also, when I go out to eat I go out to eat I'm interested in the food, not the beer. I'll go out to drink if I want beer.

JrGtr likes this.
  9. fox227

fox227 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2010 California

I guess it depends on what people mean by "good" food. When I go out for beer and food, I think for quality examples of the following: pizza, burgers, grilled cheese, mac & cheese, bbq... Places like Pizza Port, Encinitas Ale House, Churchill's, Sublime Ale House all have what I'd call "great" food and beer.

10. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2009 Washington

11. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Zealot (581) Sep 2, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

All of the places around here that have good beer also have good food. I think it just speaks to the fact that they give a damn about both, whereas plenty of high-end restaurants still don't see beer as a priority.

12. Buxas

Buxas Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2013 Pennsylvania

Totally false presumption. There is a place near here named after a doublewide garage. They have a good beer selection, but I would not give their food to my dog. I have been in places with good food and good beer, and places with a poor beer selection and poor food. However there is no firm link between the two.

13. Darwin553

Darwin553 Initiate (67) Jan 5, 2009 Australia

I agree with what the OP said as a general yardstick to go by. Of course there are some exceptions...

14. oglmcdgl

oglmcdgl Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2007 Pennsylvania

I guess I'm lucky living in philly we have tons of amazing beer and food establishments.

15. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2010 New York

**The drunker you get the better the food is.**

BoozedUp_Betty likes this.
  16. Sneers

Sneers Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2009 Pennsylvania

Definitely not.

I mean, let's face it- in terms of effort, it's pretty easy to offer a great beer selection. Yeah, it takes some know-how to pick an appropriate selection, to run a draft system properly, and to have all the right glassware, but in terms of making a certain beer available, you fill in a different box on an order form, then pour it when it arrives. That is, simply offering great beer isn't a huge marker of the care put into an establishment.

The same is certainly not true with food. Developing a great menu takes a ton of thought and skill, and goes far above "flipping" the ingredients ordered from various purveyors to patrons.

Thus, my general observation is actually closer to the converse of what the OP suggests. Places with great food have already exhibited the care towards overall presentation that lends itself to crafting a quality drink selection; of course, sometimes that selection includes beer, sometimes not. But as almost anyone can serve great beer, I don't see how doing so translates into great care for all the food served.

17. Chinon01

Chinon01 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2007 Pennsylvania

Victory Brewing Co and Sly Fox are two of my favorite breweries and the food at both their brewpubs is nothing to write home about.

18. Kenzie

Kenzie Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2013 Utah

Sometimes true. I usually only order beer at a restaurant if I'm out of state, since usually any beer on the menu in Utah is by the bottle and something I can buy at the liquor store for much cheaper.

I actually went to a wing place in Colorado. They have alright food and I knew they had a large beer selection. I asked the server what kind of beers she had, and if she had a beer menu. She replied with "Well we basically have everything." So I'm like "Okay do you have deschutes?" She brings me a deschutes beer and I ask "So what's the name of this" And she replied with "Uhh...deschutes," like I'm stupid. It is a big pet peeve when restaurants serve a variety of beer and the servers are uneducated and have no idea to describe them, let alone know their name.

19. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Wisconsin

What exactly do you mean by "selection"? Golden Corral has everything under the sun, but it's all shit. In my experience, places with only a few choices have the best stuff.

20. smakawhat

smakawhat Poo-Bah (5,834) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Subscriber

Depends where you live. Here in the Washington DC area this isn't a problem, there's a plethora of great food occasional limited beer selection, and also great food and great beer selection, with the latter having lots of choices.

21. Dreizhen

Dreizhen Aspirant (263) Jun 6, 2013 District of Columbia

I think wine and cocktails are better indications of quality food. I'm not as well versed in the quality of wine as I am beer and cocktails so I typically stick to cocktails and that's always worked for me. Basically, +1 each for drinks with Maraschino, St. Germaine, rye whiskey, Chartreuse, Lillet, etc...+2 for the use of bitters and/or house made ingredients. -1 for blue curacao, muddles old fashioned, flavored vodka (not the in-house kind), etc... -2 for pre-made mixes. Anything in the 5+ range is almost always good.

I think beer selection varies too much based on location. I can think of a handful of amazing restaurants that only have Sam Adams, something local, and then macros.

champ103 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe