Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

News The Brewers Association Wants to Buy Anheuser-Busch InBev And "Take Craft Back"

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,527) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber

The Brewers Association wants you to pledge to help them crowdsource $213 billion in order to buy AB InBev and "Take Craft Back."

Read more: https://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer-muses/take-craft-back-crowdfunding-buy-anheuser-busch

https://www.takecraftback.com

Redrover likes this.
  2. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Disciple (306) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Will they get ABI? No. Is this genius marketing- setting an absurd goal to get tons of media traction? Yes! Very funny and it calls attention to ABI's owning of non-craft craft breweries....

SuperWhip likes this.
  3. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Savant (989) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

It would be funny if one day this happened and the little guys ate up the big boys :stuck_out_tongue:

LA_Hue24 likes this.
  4. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (4,748) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

Just start buying stock, and voting in the elections. Share=holders are the most important thing these days.

5. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,461) May 19, 2005 Colorado

That's how InBev bought AB...right? Sorta?

beertunes likes this.
  6. MilkLeg

MilkLeg Aspirant (216) Feb 8, 2016 Alberta (Canada)

Their website says they've already raised over $800K. That's already an insane amount of money for a group that's asking for donations in return for beer coozies and swag. I'd really like to know what else this group is doing to separate themselves from InBev. The idea of the certified craft label with the upside down bottle is interesting.

7. Jag237

Jag237 Initiate (145) Aug 23, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

They only actually collect the money if they reach the goal though which most of these people "donating" know will never actually happen. That being said, I think this is a hilarious and excellent idea.

beertunes, MilkLeg and hopfenunmaltz like this.
  8. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (502) Dec 12, 2014 California

This is getting old...

BeerPugz, Robyn, Loops and 7 others like this.
  9. teal

teal Initiate (73) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

The irony is that craft brewer I'm supposed to idolize and champion as the bastion of good beer is the same craft brewer that's selling to AB InBev.

It takes 2 to make the sale....

Those that are selling - making their own choice for what works for them. Those that are not, aren't going to sell and that's that. So I don't really think we're ever really going to lose craft beer.

IBUBrew and beertunes like this.
  10. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (245) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Bad look.

BeerPugz likes this.
  11. lordofthemark

lordofthemark Aspirant (290) Jan 28, 2015 Virginia

Why are people upset? There is no evidence BA will change the liquid, right? :wink:

SuperWhip and beertunes like this.
  12. Todd

Todd Founder (5,527) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber

They haven't raised any money.
    They don't collect any money. It's satire. A PR stunt. They're collecting emails and permission to contact everyone in the future.

13. MilkLeg

If they somehow get 213 million people to fill out the form saying they will donate $1000 then maybe they actually deserve to collect it. Obviously its a joke, what I was more interested in is if they actually are trying to do anything and who is supporting them with real money. I've heard about that craft certified label the Brewers Association came up with but I would like to know more about what else this organization is actually doing.

14. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,197) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Quite a bit of information on this site:

https://www.brewersassociation.org

15. zid

zid Champion (839) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

As @Todd said, this isn't actual crowdfunding. It's an ad campaign designed to get the new logo on people's chests while generating an email list.

hopfenunmaltz and beertunes like this.
  16. beertunes

Beer Trader

For who?

17. beertunes

Beer Trader

Seems folks ain't that good at reading comprehension. Oh wait, that implies they actually read. never mind, my bad.

Fltingrabbit and drtth like this.
  18. Ranbot

Ranbot Devotee (458) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

If there is more information than can be summarized in a headline or meme it's too much for many to handle.

beertunes likes this.
  19. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,121) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Smells like a scam to me. Even bearded bros are criminals too!

DrumKid003 likes this.
  20. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,280) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

:thinking_face: The Brewers Association collects dues - assumed to be "real money" - from its membership, which looks to include around two-thirds of all the breweries in the US (and includes over 3 dozen AB-owned or partially-owned breweries which are listed as "associate members" of the B.A.):

[​IMG]

JackHorzempa and drtth like this.
  21. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,301) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

I will add that the Brewers association also puts on events like Savour in DC, the Craft Brewers Conference, and GABF.

Those are some other things that the BA is actually doing. ;-)

drtth likes this.
  22. MilkLeg

I realize now I should have actually looked at their site before questioning what they do. I had heard of the BA and the craft certified label but that was about it. I guess it was a mix of stupidity and wishful thinking on my part not realizing these guys don't actually have $800K in support from donations, whether it's crowd sourced or from memberships or whoever else supports them. Seems like a great organization, and it's great that they can poke fun at themselves and keep things fun like they are with this campaign.

23. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (725) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I would love to see the screen version starring Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd. Once owning A-B InBev, the Brewers Association could start off by purchasing Pabst, maybe Yuengling, and re-birthing more artisanal AALs like Falstaff, Rheingold, and National Premium.........

zid likes this.
  24. jasonmason

jasonmason Initiate (170) Oct 6, 2004 California

We don't need more AALs. Buy back Celis (from whoever owns that brand now) and bring a real classic beer back!

rgordon likes this.
  25. HouseofWortship

Beer Trader

26. HeilanCoo

HeilanCoo Initiate (40) Sep 11, 2014 North Carolina

Do we get certain number of guaranteed bottles?

27. zid

zid Champion (839) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

From Pierre Celis' daughter after she just managed to gain rights to the name? Beer enthusiasts will love that. :wink:

28. Squire123

Squire123 Poo-Bah (1,543) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I could go for a reissue of Falstaff, "America's Premium Quality Beer".

rgordon likes this.
  29. jasonmason

jasonmason Initiate (170) Oct 6, 2004 California

30. HouseofWortship

Beer Trader

Maybe if the Brewers Association fails to raise enough money to buy ABI, they can crowd source a buyback of the Falstaff name and recipes from Pabst.:wink:

31. rgordon

If one had a really dark sense of humor, one could imagine the tag line, "The Beer that "Fueled" Jack Kerouac".

Squire123 likes this.
  32. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Aspirant (205) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

33. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (52) Feb 28, 2017 South Carolina

It's just a joke and it's pretty obvious, after watching the video.

34. rgordon

Dang, I was looking forward to Wicked Weed being liberated back to Asheville as a community cooperative brewery.

zid and DISKORD like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.