Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

The Bruery Announcements/Allocations

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by tbadiuk, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Jan 7, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

ha. so what do you think 2quarter preservation will be, if not chocolate rain.

2. Johnnyramirez

Johnnyramirez Nov 17, 2012 California

Based on the initial flyer that basically listed the beers, but had Chocolate Rain listed, I'll assume the 3 beers this qtr will be a BA coffee Barleywine, Kumquat SitR, and Bois.

I'm most confident Bois being one of the beers for 2nd qtr.

3. ficklenicholas

ficklenicholas Jul 26, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

How much was Chocolate Rain last year?

4. Corbet

Corbet Nov 7, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

$40 without the RS discount, so like $37

5. usofar

usofar Dec 23, 2010 California

Patrick replied and said there was some internal confusion and that flier was incorrect. He said the *beers would be RS and HS only.

It's in the preservation society thread, but i can't figure out how to link it from my phone.

thedirtyname likes this.
  6. CAbeerCAbeerCA

CAbeerCAbeerCA Mar 3, 2011 Maryland
    Beer Trader

My bet is Bois ($30), A Sour (not Kumquat SitR) - maybe Tart of Darkness ($20), and some provisions beer ($10). That totals $60.

JasonFromLA and DovaliHops like this.
  7. JasonFromLA

JasonFromLA Jan 9, 2013 California

This seems like a good combination.

8. MykelJH

MykelJH Aug 3, 2011 California

Damn no CR and no Ksitr....ehhhh I think ill pass

9. CAbeerCAbeerCA

Beer Trader

Both are society exclusives.

10. sirtomtom

sirtomtom Dec 10, 2010 California

The site actually says that Bois is a high possibility for Preservation:

11. CAbeerCAbeerCA

Beer Trader

The site agrees with me then.

12. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Jul 7, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

36.72 after sales tax gets factored in. I'd do shipping too, butigoandpickitupbro. :D

13. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Feb 9, 2009 Manitoba (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Makes you wonder, if The Bruery charged $5000 for a membership and then sold Chocolate Rain for $10/bottle (max:6) with said membership, would people ask for $10 as the $4$ value? :p

Callmecoon, domtronzero and pmarlowe like this.
  14. GRG1313

GRG1313 Jan 15, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Yes. (Along with a percentage contribution to membership relative to each bottle traded. How would that be?)

When was the last time anyone offered $4$ on any limited release, highly desireable bottle? Because I think most of us would be happy to go $4$ on Dark Lord, Dark Lord variations, Kate the Great, Hunaphu and Hunaphu variations, etc. etc. You get my point. (By the way, with the few people with whom I trade on a somewhat regular basis, I DO trade $4$ on everything, and so do they. There are people that do it, just not the majority, and I perfectly undertand that and I don't condemn a premium value for rarity).

15. Franch

Franch Mar 22, 2011 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

there are no shortage of people who demand $4$ when trading for HF stuff which is extremely cheap. ($9-10 for shelf turds and no more than 15 for limited)

16. HopsintheSack

HopsintheSack Apr 17, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

A good trading partner sends beer blindly with no thought of $4$ or anything other then crushing a doorstep.

17. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Jul 7, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Oddly, my best trading partners came from an ISO I put up looking to trade BT $4$ for Midwest shelf turds. Most of my CR allocation is going their way and they don't even know it.

18. tbadiuk

Beer Trader

Errr...why wouldn't they? Otherwise isn't the guy trading the HF outright profiting on said beer? Now, fair sharing of shipping costs in this case is another matter, but for beer I'd feel bad if somebody sent me a $30 bottle of beer and I only sent them a $10 one that is available pretty much all the time...

19. Quackus

Quackus Mar 28, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

Define profiting in this instance.

If what you're referring to is a hypothetical world in which the only cost of beer acquisition is the retail cost of the beer and all of the benefit of beer acquisition consists of liquidation at the retail price of the beer, then, yes, I suppose that person would profit.

But that's a completely artificial way to look at the world.

It doesn't account for any of the myriad ancillary costs of acquiring HF beers, such as the time and expenses of actually going to northern VT. Not to say that there needs to be a formal acocutning of gas costs (which would be ridiculous), but there should be an underlying understanding that these are not ordinary shelf beers.

It doesn't account for the quality of the HF beers (which is extremley high) that the trader is presumably intending to drink, rather than sell and hoard his winnings.

It doesn't account for the rarity of the HF beers, which are quite limited (e.g., HF made far less (about 1/3) Twilight of the Idols, which is considered a "shelf HF", than CCB did Hunaphu's).

It doesn't account for the fact that the person holding the HF beers, rather than trying to "profit", may just really like HF beers and may be worried that he won't find that particular beer again, causing him to not want to give up the beer he has unless something he really wants is coming back.

Finally, it makes no allowance for a quantity (in bottles or dollars or whatever) for quality trade.

Please take your sanctimony elsewhere.

brystmar and Franch like this.
  20. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa May 19, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Sanctimony? The dude was just trying to make a point, which he did, quickly and cleanly. Quite the opposite of the typical sanctimonious statement, IMO.

21. Quackus

Beer Trader

Really trying to restrain myself here, as this is an argument that routinely drives me crzay, but here goes: the fact that he was articulately making a point (which he admittedly was) does not preclude his point from reeking of an aggressively self-serving and holier-than-thou attitude (making it sanctimonious).

Perhaps it's merely a pet peeve of mine, but the $4$ purists drive me nuts.

Callmecoon and Franch like this.
  22. Vanlingleipa

Beer Trader

Obviously, since you choose to directly insult him, rather than just make your points and exit. Neither of you were exactly charting new ground, which is perhaps why people speaking on this increasingly tired subject are pissing off each other.

BTW, in my experience, a sanctimonious statement typically uses flowery language and too many words as the writer tries too hard to hammer home his point of view. Didn't see that in tbadiuk's comments.

DocBrewsky and domtronzero like this.
  23. Quackus

Beer Trader

To the extent it's "obviously tired," you're welcome to let it go.

Also, please compare the following:

Verbose: containing more words than necessary : wordy

Prolix: (1) unduly prolonged or drawn out : too long; (2) marked by or using an excess of words

With:

Sanctimonious: hypocritically pious or devout

All of the above are taken from Merriam-Webster. If you're going to call me out, at least be right.

If you'd prefer, though, we can both say the following to each other (to quote the Dude/MordorMongo, as you see fit) and drop this: "You're not wrong, [INSERT NAME AS APPROPRIATE], you're just an . . . ."

brystmar and Franch like this.
  24. Xul

Xul May 18, 2008 California

I didn't realize I had stumbled upon SemanticsAdvocate.com, sweet! What's the relative trading value of a 1st edition of Strunk & White?

25. Franch

Beer Trader

not increased whatsoever due to age or rarity -- $4$, whatever it cost in 1959.

Quackus likes this.
  26. Vanlingleipa

Beer Trader

Sure. When you can't be right, have fun, no?

"You're not wrong, Quackus, you're just an ...."

Nah, not that enjoyable. I think you left out the part where I should be swilling beer at the same time. Ciao.

Quackus likes this.
  27. tbadiuk

Beer Trader

Wow. Let's just agree to disagree on this one I think.

28. Quackus

Beer Trader

Apologies about this. While my views on the $4$ issue are as stated, you bore the brunt of a bunch of unwarranted vitriol from previous conversations.

Callmecoon, eyeenjoybeer and tbadiuk like this.
  29. FishPondManager

FishPondManager Feb 28, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Sooooooo.....I hear Chocolate Rain is coming next month. Pretty stoked. I've never tried it before.

ridglens, Rempo and MykelJH like this.
  30. Franch

Beer Trader

prayin' 4 increased allocations

FishPondManager likes this.
  31. stupac2

stupac2 Feb 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I love it, my favorite Bruery beer so far. If you like BT you'll like CR.
    Who ain't? We gonna make it rain CHOCOLATE RAIN.

pmarlowe and FishPondManager like this.
  32. DaGrizz

DaGrizz Feb 22, 2012 New Jersey

Anyone pick up their hoodie yet? Wanna post a picture?

33. mhksuccess

mhksuccess Jul 7, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

cant figure out how to post picture sorry
    but it is ok all black and logo is kind of hard to see
    it has a B and R in the front across chest but it is even harder to see
    quality is ok i would recommend wash and hang dry

34. StarRaptor

StarRaptor Jun 8, 2010 California

just check the pictures in the Churchill's thread. half a dozen dudes rockin em

35. HopsintheSack

HopsintheSack Apr 17, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I have not grabbed mine yet, but isn't it RS or HS on the front?

36. nanobrew

nanobrew Dec 31, 2008 California

I highly recommend the hang dry. I washed mine normal (like I have done with the past RS hoodie) and it shrank a shit ton. I got a medium as that was plenty big enough (almost too big) when i tried it on a the Bruery. I barely wore it, but got some dust on it (was working in my basement) so i washed it. Now it is way too small.

37. nanobrew

yes it is

38. mhksuccess

mhksuccess Jul 7, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

like i said so hard to read i guess my does say R S lol

39. stillmatic

stillmatic Nov 5, 2012 California

I picked mine up last week. It's a zip up with pretty good quality.
    Front:
    [​IMG]
    Back(small 1" tulip glass on top above the shoulder blades):
    [​IMG]

40. nanobrew

I split a membership with someone and we are looking for another sweatshirt. If you do not want yours please contact me and we can see if we can work something out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe