Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

The Bruery Announcements/Allocations

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by tbadiuk, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moonknight31

moonknight31 Aug 23, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

yea but wasnt batch 1 and 2 of cr the same abv?

2. KevSal

KevSal Oct 17, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

yes i know, but 10 years down the road lets hear it off the top of your head lol. or mayber im just really lazy. i tagged my bottles with a silver sharpy

They should tag the neck with a nice looking vintage label tho

3. nanobrew

nanobrew Dec 31, 2008 California

They did this for some older bottles of Saison de Lente they were selling a year or so ago at Provisions...except it was more of a sticker rather than a fancy tag

4. stupac2

stupac2 Feb 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Could be, I've only seen a B1 CR once.
    Or stamp the wax with the date. There are a few breweries that do that and it's a nice touch.

KevSal likes this.
  5. KevSal

KevSal Oct 17, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

stamping the wax would be very cool

6. afrokaze

afrokaze Jun 12, 2009 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Agreed, Surly Smoke has this and it looks pretty boss.

7. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Feb 9, 2009 Manitoba (Canada)
    Beer Trader

*BOOM* goes my credit card...into a thousand little plastic splinters. :p

8. moonknight31

Beer Trader

thats alot of beer to buy in a month lol

9. lymph

lymph May 10, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I remember the French Oak Bois being listed as a fourth quarter release.

10. bugdoc

bugdoc Apr 4, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

RS allocations same as above, minus the Confession and M#8. Ow. Ow. Ow. My poor wallet. Guess the allocations deluge has begun in earnest now.

3rdto1st likes this.
  11. moonknight31

Beer Trader

what is confession?

12. GhettoFabulous

GhettoFabulous May 29, 2010 California

Though I kinda envy HS members for all the Bois they get to buy, I'm thankful when I remember I have other, more important things to spend money on. I'm glad I don't have to decide whether spending $720 on Bois is a good idea.

13. stupac2

Beer Trader

Well, and halfsies of everything.

Man, I am so excite.

afrokaze and domtronzero like this.
  14. moonknight31

Beer Trader

sounds interesting

15. jtmartino

jtmartino Dec 11, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Fuckin' BOIS!

16. drgarage

drgarage Aug 19, 2008 California

Yeah, Confession is probably the most exciting beer to come along in quite some time. It's the one beer that makes me wish I'd taken the Hoarders' plunge.

jp7161 likes this.
  17. jtmartino

Beer Trader

I'm apprehensive because I don't typically like Riesling, and I don't think it pairs well with beer. It's too sweet and the mouthfeel works against beer IMO (see Cismontane's Mesa). I'm not familiar with Fess Parker's Riesling, but the tasting notes I've seen online reaffirm my apprehension that it's a fruity, sweet wine. Very common among
    most Rieslings I've had, particularly inexpensive ones.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  18. stupac2

Beer Trader

I thought Mesa was pretty good, though weird. I'm always a bit hesitant about Bruery Sours, but worst-case-scenario we can trade it to tickers for wales!

jtmartino likes this.
  19. drgarage

Seriously! And being overly sweet shouldn't be an issue here, in spite of the typical character of Riesling. The presence of brett in fermentation should mean this thing is dry as a bone.

20. Buck86

Buck86 Aug 8, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

That bums me out. If the HS are getting two or more of Confession or Melange 8 the I feel like the RS should at least have an option on 1 or 1 of each. I thought the point was to gain more total allocation not a double secret society (pppppPledge Pin!). Oh well life could be worse, hopefully some of these will turn up at events to try.

21. stupac2

Beer Trader

There aren't enough. There are like 150 HS members and over 1000 RS members. HS members would need to be getting 8-10 of something in order to be able to get 1 to RS members.

22. drgarage

Also, these were two of the beers guaranteed at two each in the original HS agreement. You might disagree with it, but it isn't news.

CAbeerCAbeerCA likes this.
  23. salzar

salzar Dec 27, 2008 California

Actually pretty sure the idea was to make a double secret society, to allow them to make beers that they would not be able to release to the RS. Some of those beers were listed as hoarders exclusive, and were not mentioned in the 2013 RS release list.

Having had M8 at the party this year, I would be butt-hurt if they offered it to the RS instead of allowing HS members get 3 or 4 bottles.

24. tbadiuk

Beer Trader

These are beers that they're only producing in small batches of 2-3 barrels. 150 - 200 members x 4 bottles = ~ 600-800 bottles only being made. With 1000+ (1150?) RS, you're looking at having to triple batch size just to get 1 of each out to RS.

25. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

26. jp7161

jp7161 Dec 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I would put money on the fact there are almost exactly 300 HS members

JustXBeer and usofar like this.
  27. Buck86

Buck86 Aug 8, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Haha the HS goons are out in force tonight. You can't win either way. I would be stoked if they made these things available at a party but others would be pissed they can't buy a bottle. If someone gets one or two they are pissed they can't have 3 cases. All jokes aside, you get rewarded for being a long term customer (or high spending, I am not sure how invites got chosen) so as a 1st year member, long time customer I hope to join in at some point. If not I'll start my own brewery... with blackjack... and hookers.

28. CAbeerCAbeerCA

CAbeerCAbeerCA Mar 3, 2011 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Always gonna have complainers, on either side. But, as stated above - the M8 and Confession were always known to be HS exclusives (the names were just announced).

How would RS members feel if their exclusives went to the general public after forking over cash to join? Probably wouldn't be too happy with it.

MrFootstones likes this.
  29. Saxmusik45

Saxmusik45 Nov 18, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Since Chocolate Rain sales are ending, what happens with that if there are extra bottles that weren't sold/claimed by allocations? Does it become a public release similar to BT where they open it up to all to get more bottles?

30. tbadiuk

Beer Trader

It goes to the cellar for special events, clusterforks, other tastings, etc.

31. stupac2

Beer Trader

Okay, well, everything I've ever heard puts it more like 150, but they seem pretty intent on not releasing numbers.

32. tbadiuk

Beer Trader

33. GhettoFabulous

GhettoFabulous May 29, 2010 California

How many M8s were allocated?

How much you want for it? (c) Sling Blade in response to his first post-jail encounter with french fried potaters

domtronzero likes this.
  34. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Dec 1, 2011 California

Talked to Pat tonight and mentioned the rapage of the wallet. His response "well, you could NOT order full allocations every time" We had a good laugh at that, but my wallet was crying on the inside.

mlaroche likes this.
  35. CAbeerCAbeerCA

CAbeerCAbeerCA Mar 3, 2011 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I have never ordered a full allocation. Who needs that much beer?

Yes, I can't believe I wrote that question.

36. heatwaves

heatwaves Oct 17, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Damn. I knew this was coming. After the first couple months with practically no allocations, now there are many great beers... and all with a price tag to match. Tough to budget this many $20-30 beers. I guess I'll have to hit the tasting room and make some tough decisions. :rolleyes:

Thankfully I am playing the lottery tonight.

37. DougOLis

DougOLis Aug 15, 2008 California

Not every Riesling is sweet. It's just that's what popular with the general American public so that's what we get sold. The grape and style is far more versatile than that.

weatherdog and ASUBeer like this.
  38. jtmartino

Beer Trader

Yeah I know, I've had some on the dry side while in Germany. I didn't mean to imply they all were sweet, which is why I said "typically." I confirmed by looking up tasting notes for Fess Parker Riesling which indicated it was sweet. As you stated, most popular Rieslings found in America are the sweet variety, which I really don't think was a good choice for this beer.

Obviously time will tell, and I'll cross my fingers for your Hoarders folk :)

39. Sebowski

Sebowski Jan 11, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

40. claspada

claspada Sep 27, 2007 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

alright I'll be the dumb one to ask, what is Melange 8?

KevSal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe