The Bruery Announcements/Allocations

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by tbadiuk, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DougOLis

DougOLis Initiate (185) Aug 15, 2008 California

"The eigth in our Mélange series of blended beers - this robust ale is a marriage of our bourbon barrel aged anniversary ale along with White Oak Sap (our bourbon barrel aged wheat wine), along with locally roasted Geisha coffee from our friends at Portola Coffee Lab.

Geisha coffee beans are soft and delicate with quietly complex aromatics. When infused with our blend of oak and bourbon rich ales, the subtlety of the bean really shines, leaving us with a wonderful combination of caramelly sweetness, oaky vanilla and just enough bitterness to bring it all together."

KevSal likes this.
  2. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Initiate (199) Dec 1, 2011 California

Drink a bomber about every night and average around 6-8 on the weekends with friends. It comes and goes fast lol

3. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Can anyone who tried confession fell me how similar it is to the Vitis Series Oui Oui from the 2012 initiation package? I may begrudgingly be ISO :/.

4. vacax

vacax Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

Confession is enormously superior to Oui Oui.

5. abecall98

abecall98 Devotee (442) Aug 11, 2007 California
    Beer Trader

Sounds like I need get my order placed for some Bois soon.

I really wish they would remake White Zin. It was their first sour I tried back about 4 years ago. It was great.

Beerandraiderfan and KevSal like this.
  6. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Shit.

7. jtmartino

jtmartino Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Damn, and Oui Oui is a fantastic beer.

Been to a doctor lately? Eeks.

8. stupac2

stupac2 Disciple (387) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

That's really not a ridiculous amount of beer. Your average Frenchman probably drinks more wine.

9. moonknight31

moonknight31 Devotee (471) Aug 23, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

yea i would say that i personally go through 10-14 750's per week

10. AndrewK

AndrewK Aspirant (231) Oct 20, 2006 California

Rieslings are a highly misunderstood grape in this country. In Germany it is extremely hard to grow grapes which have any decent amount of sugar in them, so the ones that do are highly prized. Because of this, German winemakers often add sugar to increase alcohol content (much like Belgian brewers do), and because Americans like sweet things, it was the low-quality, sugar-added German Rieslings that got popular in the US. The sugar content of Riesling grapes are low to moderate, but because the Germans covet the sugar in the grapes so much, they call the ones with hardly any sugar in them sweet, and the ones with a noticeable amount super-sweet. They also vary their fermentation to balance levels of residual sugar, so you can end up with Riesling made from high quality grapes that are super dry (yet called off-sweet), or sweet dessert wine (but they are highly prized and rare, and have a single digit abv because there wasnt much sugar to start with and they didnt want to ferment it all out).

The Confession label says "sauertrocken" on the bottom, which translates to sour-dry (trocken is the designation for Rieslings which get fermented all the way out and dont have any sugar added, making them bone dry). So hopefully that is a sign that this beer will not fulfill any of your fears.

11. moonknight31

Beer Trader

where can i see the labels for confession and melange 8?

12. AndrewK

Thus far only in the Hoarders email.

13. moonknight31

Beer Trader

did not all of the cr sell out? The reason i ask is i still see it on their even though i thought the allocations ended friday

14. moonknight31

Beer Trader

alright good to know

they didnt release what the variation barrels of bois labels will look like so i assume it will be different wax colors again

15. AndrewK

I imagine it will be much like papier, in that the main difference will be wax color (and the barrel variety wording on the label).

16. stupac2

Beer Trader

I added them on Untappd, so you can see them there.

17. CAbeerCAbeerCA

CAbeerCAbeerCA Initiate (89) Mar 3, 2011 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I am so excited for the Bois variations!

Edited: Yes, I hope that reads as if I were a teenager excited to se N'Sync or some other comparable act.

18. teamizm

teamizm Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2005 California

"bois" variations also sounds a bit creepy. Got a mustache and a white van?

CAbeerCAbeerCA likes this.
  19. moonknight31

Beer Trader

thanx

20. CAbeerCAbeerCA

CAbeerCAbeerCA Initiate (89) Mar 3, 2011 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Blacked out windows.

21. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Aspirant (265) Feb 9, 2009 Manitoba (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I hate to be 'that guy', but I believe its prounced 'bwah'. Figured I'd mention it before I read about the hipster bartenders doing the correcting...:cool:

ridglens, Tenchi221, SUBER and 3 others like this.
  22. AndrewK

now the jokes above make sense. I didnt stop to think that people would pronounce it "boys." damn education.

vurt likes this.
  23. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Aspirant (265) Feb 9, 2009 Manitoba (Canada)
    Beer Trader

To be honest, I wish it was pronounced 'boys', that way I could post up a pic on facebook in my craft beer group with all 5 variants with the title "My boyz in da house!" :p

24. MrFootstones

MrFootstones Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2008 California

Beer nerd: "Hey, tonight I'm doing a vertical tasting of queer, fruit, and boys!"
    Non-beer nerd friend: "Dude..."

25. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Initiate (199) Dec 1, 2011 California

I drink 1 bomber a night during the workweek, but they aren't all super high alcohol beers every night.

I also run 4-6 miles every work day, and row on the weekends, you tell me which side of the health spectrum I come out on.

CommanderOfAwesome likes this.
  26. jtmartino

Beer Trader

I won't get too deep into this as we're getting crazy OT (I have a tendency to do that) but exercise doesn't help the liver as much as people may think. After exercise, your liver is stressed and creates specific enzymes that are often found elevated in people with liver disease such as hepatitis, fibrosis, cancer, etc. Combine that with binge drinking on the weekends and you may be developing a problem. Only blood tests like cholesterol and chemistry panels will tell you what's going on.

If you want more info, feel free to shoot me a message. And a disclaimer - I drink a lot too, so there's no judgement here. Just more of a PSA to those who think that exercise can totally offset heavy drinking.

KevSal, wagenvolks and pmarlowe like this.
  27. GhettoFabulous

GhettoFabulous Initiate (189) May 29, 2010 California

The 'no limit' on Smoking Wood is pretty hilarious. I suspect they'll be similarly generous with BA 5 Golden Rings.

jmgrub likes this.
  28. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 California

I am excited about the Bois variants...but I think I am going to pass on them. I really want to try them before committing $30 a pop. Not saying they are "over priced", just expensive, and it is getting harder and harder to justify spending that much on a single bottle. It would be cool it the Bruery left these beers on tap during the entire time allocation are available. Though if I got to try them all there, I would be able to tick them and not buy bottles, so I understand why that wouldn't work too.

I was a little bummed CR was not on tap this past weekend. I was hoping it would be up since this is the first weekend allocations were available. Does anyone know how long it lasted at in the tap room? No matter what I found plenty to drink.

Got to try Oats McGoats in the tasting room, does anyone know if this is the blueberry sour they are talking about releasing?

29. Xul

Xul Crusader (747) May 18, 2008 California

It's not a society exclusive on tap, and I found it underwhelming when I tried it a few weeks ago. Interesting as a novelty of being a 100% oat beer, and not a bad tasting room experiment, but I would definitely pass on any allocations if they offered it for sale.

I actually would like to see more experiments in that direction - fruited beers fermented with Hottenroth cultures - but I don't think they quite hit the mark with Oats McGoats.

domtronzero likes this.
  30. mattolesh

mattolesh Initiate (52) Sep 30, 2007 California

1) We are going to be serving a flight of the 4 2013 versions and a special old keg pretty soon. We are only using those 1/6 bbl kegs for flights, so they should last pretty long. that's scheduled for May 9, but that's not set in stone.
    1.5) Generally, I'm trying to make every beer available to taste before the sale window closes.

2) The upcoming blueberry sour is our traditional sour blonde w/ blueberries sitting in the barrels right now, Not Oats McGoats.

3) I think we poured through 7 kegs of CR while it was on for member... I'd have liked to kept it on longer, but we only have so much...

Cheers!

31. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 California

Thanks for the info. Damn you guys went through a lot of CR!

32. stupac2

Beer Trader

That's going to be one oaky bitch.

domtronzero likes this.
  33. moonknight31

Beer Trader

yea i was just thinking this morning that i thought there was supposed to be a french oak bois too. i wonder why it is coming out so much later then the others

34. stupac2

Beer Trader

Maybe it takes longer for the oak to impart flavors. Maybe they want it to be an oaky bitch. We'll see!

claspada and domtronzero like this.
  35. moonknight31

Beer Trader

im sure french oak does take longer to impart flavor but i dont know about an additional six months

36. jtmartino

Beer Trader

It takes longer because it's so much weaker. Because it's French.

Making an oaky bitch out of bitchy oak just takes time.

....'murica.

37. moonknight31

Beer Trader

i wonder if the majority of members are going to max out allocations on all 3 variations of the bois

38. stupac2

Beer Trader

Seeing as it's only 2/4, I would think most are. I'm really excited about the variants since I loved Fruet and these are all great barrels. I'd be way less excited if one were tequila or red wine or something.

39. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Zealot (515) Jan 7, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Besides, West Coast whalez, brah. people love variants.

Knowing that they'll have a tasting option for all of them, I'm not maxing my allocations out on it. I still have plenty of past anniversary beers. And while they are tasting, the price tag limits the other great beer I can be drinking.

40. JosephThompson

JosephThompson Aspirant (225) Nov 29, 2011 New Jersey

Obligatory silly question: which variant of Bois do we receive two bottles of that was included in our membership price?

I assumed it was Bois (Bourbon) since its the "regular" anniversary now that they're bourbon-ing the anniversaries going forward but is it the Bois (French Oak), which I thought was only a special release at end of year?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe