The Bruery Filling Blank Growlers Now

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by sdpaul, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MssrTussaud

MssrTussaud Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2013 California

Just came here to post this.

Also, $10 for empties? WTF?

2. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Pooh-Bah (2,211) Oct 24, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah

I guess they REALLY care about how their beer looks..

grandmachine and pmarlowe like this.
  3. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2011 California

4. stupac2

stupac2 Pooh-Bah (2,031) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Yeah that's a bit much. Then again, does the Bruery ever have anything worth getting a growler of?

sliverX likes this.
  5. queens1130

queens1130 Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2008 California

really like that they will start filling blanks & that most of us prob have this style of growler at home.. sucks that i'd have to scrape off the stone gargoyle logo instead of just cover it :flushed:

6. MikeTen

MikeTen Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2009 California

Right, so four months after the clarification, the brewery that was most excited about a universal growler adopted a half measure that still requires purchasing a new growler.

Basically no other big brewery has done anything.

It's almost like I was right that breweries would drag their feet on this.

7. beerinNV

beerinNV Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2012 Nevada

Says the hoarder's society member

afrokaze and blguillen like this.
  8. pmarlowe

pmarlowe Pooh-Bah (1,899) Nov 27, 2010 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah

So.............. they're only filling one very specific type of blank growler? lol just lol.

9. sdpaul

sdpaul Initiate (0) May 2, 2012 California

Berazzled is good growler fill to get...not bottled

nanobrew and JulianC like this.
  10. rgco

rgco Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2012 California

To quote Mr. Swanson, "Never half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing."

One step forward, two steps back.

11. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Maven (1,424) May 19, 2011 California
    Trader

I don't feel $10 is a big deal. Maybe a couple bucks more than most, but it is a better growler. However, I found their explanation for not accepting label-covered growlers pretty funny.

"How our beer is packaged is important to us -- we really care how our bottles look on store shelves, and we really care how a growler looks when you bring it home. Wrapping black film (or stickers, or candlewax, or however you want to cover up your growler) doesn’t present our beer in the way we’d like, can be easily removed, and potentially presents a labeling violation issue if the covering were to be removed prior to consuming the entire growler. We foresee customers bringing in growlers that need to be covered up, which will be time intensive. We also feel it is not respectful to cover up another brewery’s logo, and are concerned about potential hygiene issues (wet stickers, beer trapped under plastic wrap, etc.)."

we really care how a growler looks when you bring it home.

Puh-leeze. If I'm not concerned about my label-covered growler clashing with my bright yellow mustard bottles and moldy strawberries, why the hell should you care about it?

We also feel it is not respectful to cover up another brewery's logo

Miss Manners would be so proud

...concerned about potential hygiene issues (wet stickers, beer trapped under plastic wrap, etc)

Any chance I could review the buttload of studies you must have on these vital health concerns. Sheesh, whatta load.

Overall, I'm very glad the Bruery sacked up here and made blank growler pours available. However...here's Stupac, getting right to the most important point:

With all the vaunted BA capacity possessed by the Bruery, why can't an occasional growler fill of the premium stuff be made available occasionally? Plenty of other breweries find the capacity.

pmarlowe likes this.
  12. stupac2

stupac2 Pooh-Bah (2,031) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Yeah, I like the beer they bottle (and the draft-only stuff I've gotten), but from what I've heard and experience the Bruery pretty much never has cool growler fills. Maybe if you want a bunch of Hottenroth or something, but I've never once been tempted to get a growler from them, and from what I've read on here previously many (most?) locals feel the same.
    Apparently no.
    I didn't think they filled it. Even if they do it's not normally on.

For instance, right now it looks like they have the year-round bottled beers, Stoutfire, and Smoking Wood (Rye) for growlers. I guess if you really wanted a growler of Hottenroth it'd make sense, but I can't imagine (personally) ever getting anything else filled. Clearly people do or this wouldn't be an options, but in all honesty the Bruery's growler policy doesn't matter to me at all unless they seriously step up their game on what they fill. (And yeah, I'm a non-local, but I'm down there often enough, if I could get something that I couldn't get in bottles I'd do it, but that's never been the case.)

13. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Savant (1,225) Mar 23, 2008 California

Perfect, I will be scraping the Stone logo off my growler tonight, and I will get my first fill ever from The Bruery tomorrow.

What's it cost for a Hummulus lager fill?

14. CoolEthan

CoolEthan Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013 California

Why no swing top SS growlers???

15. PlinyTheYoungest

PlinyTheYoungest Zealot (603) Jun 30, 2009 California

I believe they go for $20. Your head is in the right place, as I believe the only fills I've gotten there have been Humulus series beers. Humulus Lager, Wet, XPA... all tasty draft only beers that they will usually do fills of.

16. thatinvisibo

thatinvisibo Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2005 California

As a San Diegan, I look forward to bringing back a growler of Hottenroth next time I pick up my allocations. What are their fill prices usually?

17. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Savant (1,225) Mar 23, 2008 California

Response from the blog comments...

"Sorry, but as of right now we only feel comfortable filling the Palla style, glass growlers. This may change, but as this is a new policy, we want to keep it to something simple and controllable until we can figure out how to manage requests for all sorts of shapes and sizes.
    -Benjamin
    The Bruery"

18. CAbeerCAbeerCA

CAbeerCAbeerCA Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2011 Maryland

I respect that they want to keep consistent with their branding. Branding is very important, can be hard to establish, and The Bruery does it better than most. Their bottles and label are instantly recognizable, and I think the growlers they fill are also the best looking ones you can get (swing top, SS, Brauler, are are not as classy looking).

In addition, the post explains the the growlers they use are different size they screw top.

At least it's a start, and this is coming from someone who enjoyed the lax fill laws in Oregon for a couple years.

19. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2012 California

Berazzled was available as an RS fill for awhile. I personally had several fills of it. Smack was another beer that they had up for RS fills while the kegs lasted. Sure there's room for improvement in the quantity/quality of growler fills, but this year has been a marked improvement over last year.

Further, as has been hashed out many times, BA is by no means a comprehensive representation of even craft beer drinkers. I'm at the bruery on average once a week, and I'm constantly seeing people bring in growlers.

Hell, if stone and RR get on board I'll be able to downsize my growler collection rather appreciably.

abecall98 and Retsinis like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.