Canada The Canadian Top 100 and You

Discussion in 'Canada' started by wordemupg, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Noxious26

Noxious26 Jun 3, 2005 Saskatchewan (Canada)

29 for me, but I don't really look to try the top 100. Usually when I travel I just look for beers that are in styles I like rather than whether they're one of the top beers.

2. pieman25

pieman25 Oct 16, 2010 Ontario (Canada)

for myself particularly, it's much closer to an hour, closer to two or three given that I'd have to bus it there, also, I'm not old enough to buy in michigan just yet, I will be in september though. Still, I kinda wish the good Canadian stuff were available in Windsor - I think of the 17 of the names in the list that I was already aware of, I've only seen about 5 at the absolute most, though I've probably seen closer to 3 in LCBOs/beer stores.

3. cratez

cratez Sep 23, 2005 Ontario (Canada)

I've had 60, which is a little lower than I expected. That said, I haven't "sought out" the top Canadian beers for a couple years now. I used to check the list before heading to barVolo, beerbistro, Gambrinus, etc., but lately I just drink whatever catches my eye. I think it's time to get motivated and make a push for 75. :)

4. boney77

boney77 Nov 5, 2008 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

76 in total. Living in Alberta with privatized liquor stores helps, as did a cross Canada trip a few months ago.

5. MasterSki

MasterSki Dec 25, 2006 Ontario (Canada)
    Site Editor Subscriber Beer Trader

I've reviewed 43, and have consumed another 26 at one time or another. Most of the ones I'm missing are DDC draft-only offerings and BC stuff.

6. papat444

papat444 Dec 28, 2006 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Yeah, draft-onlys are tough. The Red Racer DIPA & Back Hand are tough ones for me.

7. wordemupg

wordemupg Feb 11, 2009 Alberta (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Those two can be found in growlers but would still require trading, I was lucky enough to find Back Hand on tap at a sports bar when visiting ma in Vernon. I'm thinking a trip to Montreal would be needed for me to get to many that elude me.

8. papat444

Beer Trader

ISO of those 2 in growlers!

The only draft one i haven't seen in awhile that's on the list is Pionniere. They've done Penombre recently (same style, lower ABV). Too bad DDC doesn't do growlers :(

9. Electros

Electros Feb 20, 2007 Ontario (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

26, shamed...

10. phirleh

phirleh Sep 29, 2008 Ontario (Canada)

37 for me,
    9 of the top 10
    13 out of the top 20

11. Long813

Long813 Sep 17, 2009 Ontario (Canada)

I'm surprised that Proppeller Revolution is so high on that list TBH.

12. BVB09_Bryan

BVB09_Bryan Jun 19, 2012

only two, both Unibroue, I need to try to more Canadian beer, I've been drinking only German/Czech/American lately

13. 604growler

604growler Jul 20, 2009 British Columbia (Canada)

I've had 39, but give me a week in Montreal and I think I could add a bunch!

14. EskimoDave

EskimoDave Dec 2, 2008 British Columbia (Canada)

A surprising 61.

15. LampertLand

LampertLand Nov 2, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

As we close out 2012 , only 20 out of the top 100 , maybe I need to drink more ;)

16. TheSevenDuffs

TheSevenDuffs Jan 20, 2010 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

9 months later...

I have now tried 57 of Canada's top 100 (including 33 of the top 34) with 3 more either in my fridge or on their way to me. Decent progress I guess...

17. papat444

Beer Trader

Hopin' to close it out in a few weeks. Been a busy year!

18. wordemupg

wordemupg Feb 11, 2009 Alberta (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm stuck at 91 with a few coming my way in the New Year.
    It's going to take a trip to Montreal for me to get them all.
    L'Amere a Boire and DDC don't fill growlers do they?

Rutager likes this.
  19. papat444

Beer Trader

Unfortunately, they do not, sorry :(

If they did, i for sure would have sent you one :D

20. BigBry

BigBry Oct 11, 2004 Alberta (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Only at 24, but have access to quite a few more here in Alberta.
    Always interesting to watch the list change to see what's moving up or down.

21. canucklehead

canucklehead Mar 7, 2003 British Columbia (Canada)

I've had 50 of the top 100. If it wasn't for Canbif I would be at a lot less. In BC we get great beer from tiny breweries in the US and England but almost nothing from Ontario . My one wish for 2013 is for more beer to come from other Provinces ( Alley kat and wild rose are from next door yet not in BC)

Rutager likes this.
  22. kjyost

kjyost May 4, 2008 Manitoba (Canada)

I've dropped to 40. I guess that says something about not trying so hard to tick (& review), how little of the top Canadian craft we have in Manitoba and the fact brewers are making new and exciting beers. I'm just leaving Ottawa and have been impressed by the new stuff being made, even by old staid breweries like Amsterdam.

23. Rutager

Rutager Oct 18, 2010 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I'm at 52 with a bunch in the cellar. A little disapointing, I've been working hard this year. ;)

24. markaberrant

markaberrant Jan 9, 2006 Saskatchewan (Canada)

Surprised to be at 73. Haven't done trades in years.

25. Long813

Long813 Sep 17, 2009 Ontario (Canada)

With the old ranking change and my fall out with beer. I'm now at 37. I still drink some nice beers here and there, but I'm not as heavily involved with reviewing and trying out all I can anymore. I'm sure finances have a part in it as well though.

Also, this new BA forum change has thrown me off a lot as well. I find it very difficult to review a beer or even look at the top lists (current experience).

26. MasterSki

MasterSki Dec 25, 2006 Ontario (Canada)
    Site Editor Subscriber Beer Trader

I think I *nearly* completed the old Top 25 back in the day. I've had about 60 of the current top 100 and maybe another 5 in the cellar - haven't reviewed some of them though, particularly the readily available Unibroue and Charlevoix stuff.

27. Scotty51

Scotty51 Sep 16, 2008 Alberta (Canada)

Figured I'd be around 60 or so, but disappointed to realize I was at a sad looking 43. Lucked into Back Hand of God on tap in Summerland during a wine tour. On the plus side, I took a peek at the "Bottom of the List" top 100 and thankfully have only tried 12. That has to count for something.

28. matthaslaservision

matthaslaservision Aug 18, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)

how did megadestroyer make it on this list? ... barf

29. rudge75

rudge75 Mar 12, 2003 Manitoba (Canada)

Not my words (from FAQ on the top 100 page) but appropriate in any case of "why did x beer make the list":

"Did you review the beer? If not, then you have even less to complain about."

30. smakawhat

smakawhat Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Subscriber

After the latest re-org on BA with lists, not much change form me-self only had 14 of them. Lots of tiny amount of reviews though on those..

31. papat444

Beer Trader

I was closing in on the magic number :mad:

Oh well, more great beers to drink....

Rutager likes this.
  32. TheSevenDuffs

Beer Trader

I guess we need to rename this thread now: "The Canadian Top 50 and You" ...

LampertLand, Rutager and MasterSki like this.
  33. LampertLand

LampertLand Nov 2, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

only 16 of the "new" Top 50 , brost

34. papat444

Beer Trader

Better than Top 25 IMO as their is a bit more diversity with 50.

35. smakawhat

smakawhat Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Subscriber

I like that this list has been changed a bit...

TheSevenDuffs and Rutager like this.
  36. kjyost

kjyost May 4, 2008 Manitoba (Canada)

37. TheSevenDuffs

Beer Trader

34/50 here...

38. tbeckett

tbeckett May 17, 2009 Ontario (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

29 after the adjustments.

Does anyone else dislike 'hads' being highlighted like reviews now?

39. hoser

hoser Feb 17, 2003 Alberta (Canada)
    Subscriber

48 of 50 and surprised the two I haven't had are from BC the province next to me and both are IPAs.

40. papat444

Beer Trader

48 for me too. Hop Therapy is coming my way and will finish it off with a formal review of a 3M Porter Baltique (been awhile).

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe