The Canadian Top 100 and You

Discussion in 'Canada' started by wordemupg, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Poo-Bah (1,917) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

Over the past couple of months I've started to notice some of the old stalwarts falling off the list. Last week St. Ambroise Pale Ale finally fell off the list. Hopefully this means the list is starting to better reflect the more current "best beers" in the country. Still though, there are too few Canadian reviewers to have this list really reflect the current or at least recent best beers this country makes.

I also noticed that Half Pints Le Temps Noir is back on the list. I also noticed its status has been changed from retired to rotating (hence the re-admission). Does this mean it is being brewed again? I hope so, as the one bottle I have had of this one was great.

2. rudge75

rudge75 Initiate (27) Mar 12, 2003 Canada (MB)

Le Temps Noir was brewed again and is currently being sold in the stores around Manitoba.

3. Coronaeus

Society Trader

That is good to know. Thanks.

4. Bcarlos

Bcarlos Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2016 Canada (ON)

I've actually never seen this list. I'm at 50%, but I've never had anything from Driftwood except Fat Tug. Gotta get on that!

I was also really surprised to see nothing from Nickelbrook. Winey Bastard belongs on this list.

5. Sammy

Sammy Poo-Bah (15,521) Dec 1, 2003 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

I have 94th in my fridge for soon. The rest are all hoppy seasonals/one-offs. Maybe we need a "classics Canada" list:stuck_out_tongue:

souvenirs likes this.
  6. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Canada (QC)

One left for me...Raised By Wolves will come back but not soon per brewery tweet :slight_frown:

7. TheSevenDuffs

TheSevenDuffs Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Canada (ON)

I am currently at 86 and I can get to 87 by picking up the latest FM diabetes beer that I have been avoiding at the LCBO...

billverstein and Coronaeus like this.
  8. wordemupg

wordemupg Poo-Bah (4,292) Feb 11, 2009 Canada (AB)
    Society Trader

I've been dropping for a while, sitting at 92 at the moment and the shame is becoming unbearable:slight_frown:

9. Derek

Derek Poo-Bah (4,007) Apr 2, 2005 Canada (BC)
    Society

Thanks to papat, I'm up to 87!

Though I've actually had 88 (but didn't review it because I was drinking pints... The opposite of not reviewing tasters).

papat444 likes this.
  10. Sammy

Society Trader

i heard maple syrup is going on the fm arcadian groove, plus it didnt interest me being a novelty. I still think we need a classic (ie non IPA) list

TheHammer likes this.
  11. Mlkluther

Mlkluther Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2014 Canada (AB)

I'm only at 30.

It's a distribution issue :-)

Bunman3, kjyost and TheDoctor like this.
  12. wordemupg

wordemupg Poo-Bah (4,292) Feb 11, 2009 Canada (AB)
    Society Trader

There was 31 on the shelf today when I left work and a couple more available in Alberta we don't sell. I counted 66 I've bought in Alberta over the years, our distribution is great your probably just not drinking enough:wink:

Bunman3 likes this.
  13. Coronaeus

Society Trader

You need to tap into the fantastic alternate distribution channel, open only to users of Beer Advocate: CANBIF.

I'm at 70 with 4 in the cellar. A good third of that is through great CANBIF distributors.

Whatup14 and TheDoctor like this.
  14. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,569) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

31. Same issue. Luckily it's a pretty Quebec-heavy list since that's all we get here.

15. OldBrewer

OldBrewer Disciple (312) Jan 13, 2016 Canada (ON)

We can get only a handful of the beers here in 'Conservative' Ontario, so attempting the list is unfortunately out of the question for me.

16. papat444

Trading is the only way to complete that list. Some are worth seeking out....some less so.

dabeerbuddha likes this.
  17. Mlkluther

Good point. You're right - there are lots here in AB. I was just noting all the Bellwoods, etc that are not here.

I'm up to the challenge. :-)

18. Mlkluther

As far as beer trading: I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it.

1. From the research I've done its against the regulations to ship beer and you'd have to misrepresent what you are shipping.
    2. It is quite expensive by the time all is said and done.

Or, have I misunderstood the regulations of Canada Post and other shipping companies?

19. hoser

hoser Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2003 Canada (AB)

Canada Post doesn't seem to care, pack so it doesn't leak no problem they don't even ask what is in the package.

20. papat444

If it doesn't cross Canadian borders, no questions asked.

21. portwood

portwood Aspirant (209) Aug 20, 2015 Canada (ON)

dumb newb question:
    I've had a few of the beers - ticked the "got it" box yet when I look at the list it says "you've had 0 beers on this list".
    tried adding ratings and review ... still nothing!

how does one get a count going?

22. papat444

Clicking gots tells others you have it. On the beer page, click where it says rate. A dropdown appears and you can give it a score, review optional.

portwood likes this.
  23. Coronaeus

Society Trader

A look at the list shows that there have been some changes to the bottom quarter over the past month or so with beers like Jutsu, 3 Minutes to Midnight Raspberry and Immoralite joining the Top 100. I'm guessing a couple of the Auval offerings will be joining the list soon too, as well as a couple others from other great breweries. With a few exceptions, I think the list is slowly but surely starting to better reflect a "real" and more current Top 100 than it has for a while.

I hit number 74 last night with a great bottle of Pinot Noir Derniere Volonte, and a quick perusal of the list tells me I have another 7 in the fridge cellar ready to go, and possibly a couple more en route in my CANBIF box. (fingers crossed). I'm starting to feel like a real veteran here now!

A couple questions regarding what I assume will be the toughest ones for me to get:

1. Is Crannog Back hand of God available in growlers/grumblers/squealers? If so, is the brewery the only place where one would be able to get a growler of the stuff?
    2. While it may drop off the list in a few months, are bottles of Sherbrooke Heartstopper only available at the Sherbrooke Liquor Store?
    3. Are Pothole Filler and Megadestroyer from Howe Sound available in bottles smaller than the 1 litre size I've seen?
    4. What time of year is Humulus Ludicrous brewed and bottled? (It seems like only 4 or 5 people rate or review it each year and the review dates are pretty spread out).

Cheers!

TheDoctor and Derek like this.
  24. Derek

Society

Crannog will only pre fill their own growlers, but the do sell them at a few locations in their area. It is more wid lay distributed on tap if you're ever travelling out this way.

Howesound has only been doing 1L bottles, but they're starting to put out the odd bomber.

Coronaeus likes this.
  25. Mlkluther

I've seen Heartstopper at Sherbrooke and at Keg and Cork in Edmonton. Not anywhere else.

I love that beer.

Coronaeus likes this.
  26. Yardsale

Yardsale Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2015 Canada (SK)

When they release it Paddock Wood has SCORES of it at the brewery.

Mlkluther likes this.
  27. Derek

Society

I'm up to 93! Still looking for:

Great Lakes Karma Citra IPA (which isn't out)
    Solstice D'hiver Réserve Spéciale En Fût De Bourbon
    Barrel Full Of Monkeys Imperial Stout
    Grande Cuvée Porter Baltique - Fûts De Bourbon Et Brandy
    La Vache Folle Double IPA - Amarillo
    Amsterdam Barrel Aged Double Tempest
    Heartstopper

If anyone has any of them, and would like to setup a trade before the summer gets too hot, shoot me a PM!

Erik-P likes this.
  28. CraftBeerJones

CraftBeerJones Initiate (59) Apr 7, 2015 Canada (ON)

70...missing almost all the driftwood

29. Sammy

Society Trader

Steady 94, old hopped beer i'm not going to chase

30. Erik-P

Erik-P Savant (994) Aug 19, 2013 Canada (BC)

got a bottle of BA double tempest id be more then happy to crack open and share! no trades though, i wanna taste too :wink:

31. Derek

Society

Thanks again for the offer Eric-P, but Wordemupg came through town on the weekend and we shared his Double Tempest. It really is a remarkable brew!

So along with a couple of other awesome trades, I'm just left with:

Great Lakes Karma Citra IPA
    La Vache Folle Double IPA - Amarillo

Both of them will have to wait until they're fresh again!

(Though by then we'll probably have a few newbies on the list).

Jerk_Store and Coronaeus like this.
  32. Derek

Society

So I've had the Karma Citra, but I'm still looking for La Vache Folle DIPA Amarillo. Has a fresh batch been released recently? Anyone have one? I'm sure I've got something worthy for an exchange!

99/100

Erik-P likes this.
  33. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,569) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

No, not as far as I know. Those are seemingly random, but they do occasionally circle back to certain hops. I'll keep you in mind if I see it released in the near future.

Derek likes this.
  34. CurtisD

CurtisD Devotee (447) Aug 16, 2012 Canada (NB)
    Trader

Now up to 52/100 with another 5 in the cellar and in the queue to be consumed. A lot of the ones I'm missing are not easily obtainable, so I might be stuck around this number for while as some "hads" will fall off the list.....

35. MCBanjoMike

MCBanjoMike Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2014 Canada (QC)

I totally understand your need to finish the list, but I've got to say I don't think that beer is really anything special. There are a dozen other IPAs and DIPAs from Quebec that I'd take over it, if you asked me.

TheDoctor likes this.
  36. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Disciple (345) Oct 24, 2012 Canada (BC)

Up to 85 now, but there's prolly 100's of better beers from Canada not on the list. Get rating peeps! Most of the ones I'm missing aren't really made anymore or are weird Unibroue you have to buy their 12 pack for lol.

37. Derek

Society

Yeah I've had the Columbus, so I know what I'm in for!

38. DaveBar

DaveBar Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2013 Canada (ON)

61 and done.

Derek. I found my Amarillo at Depanneur AS in Montreal. There may be more left but old stock.

Derek likes this.
  39. souvenirs

souvenirs Crusader (721) Apr 18, 2013 Canada (BC)

We all need to do our part and review Canadian beer! Too often, I'll just rate something without writing anything.

TheDoctor likes this.
  40. Skaterdude97

Skaterdude97 Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2015 Canada (ON)

I've had 7 of them and I got another waiting for me at home (probably going to have it at some point this weekend). But I usually like to go into a beer with no idea of what to expect so I usually look up ratings and tasting notes after I drank it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.