Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

The Culmination Festival - Anchorage, Alaska

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by DucksFan16, Apr 13, 2013.

1. DucksFan16

DucksFan16 Feb 17, 2009 Alaska
    Beer Trader

https://www.theculminationfestival.com/

I've been looking forward to this ever since the minute it was announced. So many fantastic beers that have never been in the state of Alaska before! Thankfully I was one of the lucky few to score tickets to this event!

Are there any Beer Advocate's out there that will be attending this? Specifically, if there is anyone coming from out-of-state, I would be interested in setting up some in-person trades. I have many rare Midnight Sun releases that may be of interest.

Looking forward to an enjoyable night of fantastic beers and meeting new friends!

Cheers,

2. gueuzehead

gueuzehead Jul 6, 2011 Washington

I will be coming up from Seattle, send me a message if there is anything from WA you are looking for.

3. BigE90

BigE90 Mar 19, 2011 Washington

I think I have already consumed too much beer tonight, I think I am seeing double!

4. TheBrewViking

TheBrewViking Dec 13, 2010 Alaska
    Beer Trader

Only one more week! I'll be the white guy with a beard you should be able to spot me

5. DucksFan16

Beer Trader

Wow, no kidding! Didn't know I have a twin, haha.

6. DucksFan16

Beer Trader

I'll be the guy with the green Oregon Ducks hat, should be able to spot me too. See you there.

7. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Jun 3, 2005 Oregon

So how was this?

8. PaulStoneAnchor

PaulStoneAnchor May 30, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Anyone know if the tastings are unlimited? Or is it an X amount of tasters? Im thinking of going to this year's festival. :)

9. itracy63

itracy63 Apr 20, 2013 Washington
    Beer Trader

Last year it was unlimited...no tickets, coupons, etc. Only 300 tickets last year, very laid back, none of the idiots like you see at a lot of other festivals.

10. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

I am speechless. I have never seen a festival like that.

11. PaulStoneAnchor

Beer Trader

Anyone know which hotel is the best to stay at? I am going to book my travel soon. :) I can't wait!

12. Reswald

Reswald Mar 31, 2007 Alaska

I'd recommend either The Historic Anchorage Hotel or The Copper Whale B&B. They are both about a 5 minute walk away. The Marriott is a little closer, but you will pay more.

13. unclekeith

unclekeith Sep 4, 2012 Alaska
    Beer Trader

The date in the title of this thread is for last year. Make sure you are booking based on the 2014 date. (May 17)

14. TheBrewViking

Beer Trader

After party at your hotel room. That's what I heard

15. PaulStoneAnchor

Beer Trader

Ok cool. I will. :)

Yes Sir! But I may have to drop by Midnight Sun to grab a growler or three. :D

16. PaulStoneAnchor

Beer Trader

What are the growler laws in AK? I am thinking of bringing a couple empty growlers with me. :)

17. unclekeith

Beer Trader

No problems getting growlers filled with other brewery logos on them at the places I've been to (Brown Jug, Midnight Sun, La Bodega).

PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  18. TheBrewViking

Beer Trader

If you are filling growlers don't forget King Street brewing, and if you get one filled at Glacier Brewhouse remember that they swap out your growler for one of theirs.

PaulStoneAnchor and itracy63 like this.
  19. PaulStoneAnchor

Beer Trader

Anyone know when tickets usually go on sale? Or when they may go on sale this year? :D

20. unclekeith

Beer Trader

Tickets have been on sale for a week. Looks like they are still accepting reservations. So many great beers, I don't know where to begin.
    https://www.theculminationfestival.com/
    May 17, 2014, Anchorage, AK

BeerKangaroo and TheBrewViking like this.
  21. Elprico

Elprico Aug 14, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

I'll be coming from Texas. I can bring some JK, fresh Elevated, KBS, etc. If anyone is interested, shoot me a message. I'll be in Juneau as well a few days leading up to the festival.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  22. Phobicsquirrel

Phobicsquirrel Oct 1, 2013 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Wow some great stuff on that list.

23. TheBrewViking

Beer Trader

thats an understatement. This is like Christmas for beer geeks. Gabe is killin it for the second year in a row.

DucksFan16 likes this.
  24. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo May 30, 2011 Alaska

Hangar On the Wharf has the best taps in Juneau, and if you want some spectacular gourmet food and beer go across the channel to The Island Pub (they might only have about 10 - 15 taps there, but have been known to carry some pretty good bottles such as Chimay, Rochefort, and Unibroue). McGivney's in the valley is pretty decent as well, but you'll have to take a taxi to get there, that's usually where I am. Triangle Club is good but about half of their beers are only Alaskan Brewing Company's stuff. Percy's in the downtown area has some rarities usually not found in the rest of Juneau. Oh, and Breeze In has a ton of great bottles, but don't go to the one in Douglas, you'll have to take a taxi to the Lemon Creek location and that's within walking distance of the brewery. The Lemon Creek location has a growler set up, but the Valley location has the great bottles across from the McDonald's. Cheers.

Elprico likes this.
  25. BeerKangaroo

Wow, Treehouse is gonna be there. Wish I could go. Oh well.

@unclekeith or anyone who's lived in Alaska longer than me as I've only lived here a year, does Anchorage do this festival every year?

26. unclekeith

Beer Trader

This is the 2nd year. It seems like this will be annual. Tickets still available as of last night. Cash in some AK air miles and come on up!

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  27. Elprico

Beer Trader

Thanks @BeerKangaroo! My family is up there so I make it from time to time and always have them drive me out to the Lemon Creek Breeze In where I buy way more than I probably should. Get on up to Anchorage and come to the Culmination!

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  28. BeerKangaroo

Next time you're there, don't be afraid to do a quick tick of the place as I'm the only reviewer for that place. Cheers, feel free to message me when you're in town but understand you'll probably wanting to be with family.

Yes, Culmination is calling my name. I hope Anchorage will do it next year.

29. Elprico

Beer Trader

Seriously?! Huh. I'll be sure to get that taken care of.

I'll be pretty busy with family this time around, but I'll try to bring some good stuff and message you while I'm there!

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  30. nckmllr916q

nckmllr916q Apr 30, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Three questions:

1) IP trades, anyone?

2) Spots to hit up in Anchorage?

3) Where's the post-Culmination bottle share at!?

31. unclekeith

Beer Trader

Great time last night! It was nice to see everyone and make some new friends. Deal with the Devil was a nice surprise.

ISO: Time Waits for No One

32. SHIG

SHIG Mar 5, 2007 Alaska
    Beer Trader

Somehow my plans were sidetracked and I missed trying a few beers that I really wanted. Also didn't get anything from The Commons since they were out when I got to them so that was a bummer too. Hope a few of the beers are left around town and I can afford them!

33. dwagner003

dwagner003 Jan 4, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Any idea when this is happening this year?

34. blackcloud

blackcloud Apr 28, 2012 Alaska
    Subscriber Beer Trader

August 20,

35. dwagner003

dwagner003 Jan 4, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

That's what I was thinking.. Booked my hotel 2 months ago just in case.

blackcloud likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe