Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Great Britain The Current State of Cask Beer

Discussion in 'Europe' started by hefehead12, Nov 15, 2012.

1. CwrwAmByth

What like, so what most UK craft beer is?

2. rtrasr

Brewers in the US have not figured out cask, so they don't try. Now the challenges of doing cask in the states are daunting. Virtually no bar and beepubs have the knowledge to properly maintain a firkin of ale. This would require a massive education of the proprietors and employees of such establishments. Also the size of the US works against cask. Cask works best when it's distribution networks are in a compact geographic area such as New England or the UK.
    However, as more microbreweries open, we have 4 in NW Arkansas, as beer goes local, that opens up an opportunity to make cask ale work. It will be difficult, brewers here face a huge challenge to make cask work. They have yet to do that yet. That is what I meant by final frontier. 35 years ago, brewing a pale ale was unheard of. So there may be hope yet.

3. CwrwAmByth

4. CwrwAmByth

Yeah. I'm one of those people that happily whines about how a lot of real ale can be boring, but I'd be in tears if they ever tried to take it away from us.

5. Padraig

Beer Trader

There's a program in the UK where pubs and their staff are trained and assessed annually on how they keep and serve cask ale.

http://www.cask-marque.co.uk/

6. rtrasr

I don't know. I suspect some would stick with bitter, golden, mild, porter and IPA. Some will be more adventuresome. The use of North American Hops is really what distinguishes American Ale in my mind. The craft beer culture here is somewhat subversive. Who knows what they will come up with. I think the UK will always mean cask ale, no place on earth is more suited for cask ale than the British Isles.

7. marquis

Cask ale is craft in the vast majority of cases.It's simply sold in a different way.
    Most of our regionals-Fuller's , Timothy Taylor's, Adnam's ,Brain's and Bateman's for example would be regarded as small craft breweries in the US.

8. rtrasr

I agree, nothing requires more skill and experience than properly made and presented cask ale. I suspect that some of our larger "craft" brewing companies are much larger than the aforementioned brands. I loved Adnams. Cask deserves special attention and protection in it's most favorable environment: The UK.

WhatANicePub likes this.
  9. CwrwAmByth

When they try American style craft though it usually goes to shite. Batemans Mocha and Brains Craft Brewery Boilermaker are fucking awful.

10. rtrasr

Sound like it is time for some cultural exchange. We do have the advantage of being divided by a common language. Ha.

11. paulys55

Beer Trader

The blank space below is in memory of Ding, who surely would have responded to this post.

12. Padraig

Beer Trader

Fuller's output last year was 217K UK barrels/252K US barrels. A quick hunt around Google would put them in the same league as the top 15 US craft breweries.

More than twice the size of Stone which surprised me. I'd always though of Stone as being pretty big. Sierra Nevada are about 3 times the size of Fuller's.

Having said that Fuller's are way bigger than most of the other UK guys mentioned earlier on this page.

13. rtrasr

Beer is something that should be produced where it is consumed. Beer in general and cask ale in particular could lead the way to a more sustainable economy.

14. CwrwAmByth

It also leads to a more integrated society. I know way more about Belgium and Germany because of my love of their beer. Also because of wanting beer from those countries I have friends from there too.

Zimbo likes this.
  15. rtrasr

Couldn't agree more.

16. CwrwAmByth

Although I should add it has also kind of led to hostility, as the only German guy I know is an east German who hates anything Bavarian with a passion. So I have to be careful not to mention that I like something like Schneider-Weisse. Why can't he be as cool as my American friends?
    [​IMG]
    Yum.

rtrasr and jazzyjeff13 like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe