the evil brewery everyone loves to hate has been donating water since before it was cool

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by vileplume, Jan 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gajo74

Gajo74 Poo-Bah (3,188) Sep 14, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

You win!

2. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

For those who wish to donate or take a positive action rather than express hate or ridicule (on either side of this topic):

http://www.helpforflint.com

3. jbaker67

jbaker67 Meyvn (1,290) Jul 1, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

The motives for making the doation and the who is making the donation should not matter at all here. The fact that people who need clean,non toxic water are getting it is what is important.

4. emount91

emount91 Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2015 Connecticut

so they had to 1-up Oskar Blues by sending 51,000 instead of 50,000, didnt they?

all (harmless) jokes aside, more breweries should jump on this train, Flint is in bad bad shape.

mikeinportc, Dan_K, Lucular and 2 others like this.
  5. kvgomps

kvgomps Zealot (590) Feb 10, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Touche. I thought about it more last night and it occurred to me that there is probably a laundry list of companies that have donated. Good for a lot of people.

6. plutoniumpete

plutoniumpete Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2008 New Jersey

Exactly. This is all that needs to be said.

7. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2015 Canada (BC)

As much as I dislike the many terrible antics of AB-InBev, it's hard to deny that they also have a lot of good social programs going including grain to farmers, sponsorship, donations and so on. Sure much of it is defensive image marketing, but as well there are likely people there who are thrilled to be doing some good in the world.

Of course I thought of all the bad jokes, and almost posted them, but they do some good things. Unfortunately they are very destructive in their market practices.

charlzm likes this.
  8. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

What we are dealing with here is perception. When little Oskar Blues donates, they are seen as a small business helping out their neighbors. When large, international ABInBev donates, they are also seen as helping out but also as taking full advantage of any positive generation of good will they possibly can. Perhaps the treatment of their donations is due to the large company's track record and business practices, their rapacious pursuit of profit and their competitiveness to the point where they would gladly accept the demise of their nearest compeitor.

vileplume likes this.
  9. RLVineh

RLVineh Initiate (124) Jun 21, 2014 California
    Trader

Everyone complaining about AB, instead of saying good for the people that need it. Whether the gesture was pure or not, im sure none of the people needing water are gonna complain that it came from ABinbev instead of a microbrewery.

10. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,903) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Other than Alaskan Brewing, which is an area with no dairy or hog farms, every other brewery that I know of sends spent grain to farmers. Standard practice. It would be like a farmer saying that they use the manure for fertilizer.

cavedave and jesskidden like this.
  11. rvajohn

rvajohn Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2012 Virginia

How do you know they wouldn't?

12. kalosjakar

kalosjakar Initiate (0) May 5, 2014 Rhode Island

My thought exactly.
    Too easy!

emount91 likes this.
  13. Crim122

Crim122 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

I wish OP title was actually the news title. That would be brilliant.

Lucular likes this.
  14. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,412) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

What about the breweries in Flint? What are they using for water?

charlzm likes this.
  15. otispdriftwood

I don't - but I haven't heard about any sponsorships of other non-profit organizations that support the public good. If there are, please let me know and I'll gladly retract my statements.

16. drtth

17. indianaroller

indianaroller Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2007 Indiana

I only like my water from a cellared 750 anyway.

18. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,515) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The other aspect of giving away spent grains that makes it somewhat less than altruistic, is that if they couldn't be given away, breweries would have to pay someone else to haul them away, as well as other fees to legally dispose of them. :wink:

Of course, not every brewer was so charitable - Schlitz had a subsidiary, Murphy Products Co. which turned their spent grains into animal feed, under brand names of "Brewlage" and "Maltlage" - "a mixture of wet brewers grains, maize, minerals and vitamins".

Dan_K and Ranbot like this.
  19. drtth

Hmmm, so every craft brewer who gives their grains up for animal feed has a cash saving incentive to do so.

20. hopfenunmaltz

Society

The only one I know of is fairly new, Tenacity. They have an independent lab test result on their Facebook page that says "none detected" for lead. The older neighborhoods had the lead feed pipes. Not all of the city had high lead levels. The poor areas were where the levels exceeded the limits.

cjgiant, LambicPentameter and drtth like this.
  21. hopfenunmaltz

Society

Yeah. Alaskan was paying to ship spent grains to the lower 48. Now they dry them and burn them as a fuel source for the brewery.

Some breweries get meat back for the pub. I don't know the financials on that, but it makes for a nice story on the menu.

#61 hopfenunmaltz, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  22. stevehagy

stevehagy Disciple (385) Apr 13, 2007 New York

The first thing I thought of was the wasteful packaging. This surely doesn't help the can shortage.

23. otispdriftwood

24. evergreen_machine

evergreen_machine Aspirant (264) Nov 5, 2012 Washington

Budweiser does this a lot, and often for disasters that aren't in the news. In 2008 there were a bunch of floods in Washington state and they sent a bunch of cases of water to the area. The floods were only really in the local papers and I'm sure Budweiser didn't get any publicity out of the gesture.

surfcaster likes this.
  25. Crawfish61

Crawfish61 Initiate (96) Feb 1, 2013 Louisiana

I don't drink Bud products and never have. But as a claims adjuster for many hurricanes and other disasters, I have seen their cans of water plenty. The people who receive this water generally have no water to drink and are very grateful for the water no matter who gives it. They can it, transport it, and distribute it. They are doing a good thing.

26. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (402) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

Can you tell us how much water you've donated?

27. LittleDog

LittleDog Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2014 Texas

Several years ago, while on tour at Half Acre in Chicago, I asked what they did with their spent grains. They basically said no one wants them (probably the time and cost of going into Chicago from any farm). Leinenkugel and Miller both told me (on tours) their grain end up as animal feed.

28. hopfenunmaltz

Society

Yeah, shipping can negate the value, they should look into what Alaskan is doing.

So those are 2 examples. There would be more in large cities I am sure. Those are probably highly outnumbered by those that send to farms.

drtth likes this.
  29. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Why do folks have to be critical of this?

30. Sturgeon83

Sturgeon83 Aspirant (277) Mar 11, 2015 Kentucky
    Trader

Because it's still early in the running for "Best at Beer 2016," gotta get those anti-Budweiser points before the other guy does.

surfcaster likes this.
  31. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

51,000 cans is 2,125 cases of 24. Most pallets will hold 9 cases per layer, and they're typically built 8 layers high (any higher and you risk crushing the bottom layer), which works out to 72 cases per pallet. 2,125 divided by 72 equals 29.5 pallets, and a 53' semi will hold a maximum of 30 pallets.

Long story short, they sent a truckload, but saying "we sent 51,000 cans" sounds better than "we sent a truckload of water."

32. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,284) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Good question. Sorry, but Lead City Light just doesn't very good.

33. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,464) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Society

I have had more AB canned water than I have their beer, thanks to Hurricane Ivan.

34. DahWag

DahWag Initiate (111) Apr 5, 2014 Colorado

MIllerCoors donating to Red Cross minus a press release. Employees chipping in too.

35. Pisthetaerus

Pisthetaerus Initiate (126) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut

Seems kind of a token effort to send a single truckload when nestle, pepsi, and coke are sending 6.5 million bottles of water.

36. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Champion (837) May 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

$20k?!?!?!? please

51000 cans equates to roughly 4700 gallons of water. my town has clean water and charges $7.29 per thousand gallons the water alone (not including canning it and transporting it) would cost $34.85 to get it our of my tap

37. blivingston1985

blivingston1985 Aspirant (279) Jan 7, 2010 North Carolina

I've been told by Katrina survivers that it tastes terrible. Bad tasting water is better than no water though.

KevSal likes this.
  38. beerhead777

beerhead777 Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2015 California

All just PR, 51.000 cans is nothing, they sell 1,000 kegs a day and somewhere around 41 billion bottles a year, this is like giving a penny to charity and they definitely want people to know it, corporations have been doing this garbage for how long? And his many people fall for it? They're just another greedy corporation, they talk shit about craft at the Super Bowl then they turn around and buy up breweries because they're losing, I guess Blue Moon isn't that big a deal? And then they want to snuff out craft with distro deals and government bureaucracy, so FUCK AB

charlzm likes this.
  39. gatheredwaters

gatheredwaters Initiate (0) May 1, 2014 Vermont

First off, too soon. Second, huh?

40. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,412) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

So, you're pointing out that tap water is less expensive than bottled water?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.