the evil brewery everyone loves to hate has been donating water since before it was cool

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by vileplume, Jan 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ericjipa1

ericjipa1 Initiate (57) Sep 4, 2014 North Carolina

So they sent 51 k of Bud Light. Hehe

2. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (402) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

Couldn't even make it six posts?

timotao and Duff27 like this.
  3. kvgomps

kvgomps Zealot (590) Feb 10, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Cool man I'm sure your numbers work out. I was just doing the retail price on that in plastic at the store. Haven't had to buy water at Costco in a while but I'm pretty sure the case was around $10. Hence the figure of 20k. If your point is that tap is less expensive than bottles/cans then yeah you're right. Your point may also be that the way we think about water in this country is flawed. Also true, unless you happen to live in Flint.

4. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Its a truckload. See the post #71 by @maltmaster420

5. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,903) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Another truckload showed up today.

donspublic and drtth like this.
  6. ions

ions Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 Maryland

But Nestle, Pepsi Cola and Coke sell bottled water and own bottle water brands, InBev isn't in the bottled water business...They're a beer company. You can't compare the 2.

Dan_K likes this.
  7. kvgomps

Trader

Yeah, I did see that. Not trying to be a dick but the Alert function on here informs you of related posts so I was aware someone (maltmaster420) answered that question earlier today.

#87 kvgomps, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  8. drtth

Ah, ok got it. You already knew the unit--one truckload. Now that they are up to two truckloads it will be interesting to see if there are more.

9. kvgomps

Trader

Yeah that reply to the quantity origin came after my post and did make sense. I don't run a corporation but it seems to me that if you are going for publicity, why is it only a single truck? Not aware of the 2nd but I feel like these are really inexpensive drops of water in the bucket.

10. drtth

They've got one plant where this originates. Got to do an equipment/can change over/set up for the water cans, etc. starting to look like they filled the first truck and sent it off asap to get it where it is needed rather than have it sit around till the next truck was loaded, etc. that way when the first truck returns they can fill it again if needed. Starting to look like the reporter saw the first delivery and couldn't wait for a final total to write his news scoop.

11. Sponan

Sponan Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2008 Tennessee

Craft beer people were talking shit about AB-InBev well before the Super Bowl. People have been talking shit about big beer on BA since BA had message boards. I would say they were responding to the venom coming from a small group of craft beer drinkers.

12. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,202) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

My guess is they will keep sending water until things stabilize. As mentioned previously, they sent 9.4 million cans to various locations in the south to aid them during Katrina and Rita. I am sure it wasn't all sent at once as that would be somewhat overwhelming.

JackHorzempa, champ103 and drtth like this.
  13. JISurfer

JISurfer Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2002 South Carolina

I remember they sent tons of cans of water to Charleston after Hurricane Hugo, my grandparents saved some.

On another note, funny to see people complaining about them giving out water. I guess you can always find a problem with something.

JackHorzempa, champ103 and donspublic like this.
  14. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,517) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Where'd you get that stat? That's only 182,500 bbl. of draught beer a year (assuming "keg" here means a ½ barrel) - or less than 2/10 of 1% of their 96 million barrels sales last year. The industry average for draught beer (vs. canned/bottled) in the US is around 10% of total barrelage and given that AB is around half the US total production, it'd be safe to assume they're around that.

Well, it is big enough that it probably annoys them that it sells better than their Shock Top line, but it is a bigger deal for MolsonCoors, the brewer. :grinning: Last figures I saw had Blue Moon outselling every "craft" beer except for the newly-anointed Yuengling Lager. Shock Top, compared to the "craft" brands isn't too far behind - outsold only by YL and SNPA.

#94 jesskidden, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    Dan_K and McMatt7 like this.
  15. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Champion (837) May 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Pointing out where ab inbev got their water. They didnt buy it they just canned what they use for brewing

16. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,903) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

It was late, and I didn't realize what three I was in.

It was a second truckload from Oscar Blues.

17. brewmudgeon

brewmudgeon Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2007 Wisconsin

Hope they are not getting too many complaints about that "macro water" flavor.

18. cale_dooper

cale_dooper Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2013 Pennsylvania

19. drtth

No, that's just what the article talks about--the first delivery.

cale_dooper likes this.
  20. Pisthetaerus

Pisthetaerus Initiate (126) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut

That doesn't change fact that AB has the resources to easily put out more than a truckload of water in a day. Even Oskar blues managed to send out two trucloads.

21. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (402) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

It's amazing how quick some of us are to spend other people's money.

rightcoast7, drtth, ions and 2 others like this.
  22. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,412) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

It says something about our "entitled" society that a company is criticized for not donating all "we" think they should donate.

I'd wager the vast majority of members here could "easily" donate $5 a day to the Salvation Army designated for Flint, MI water relief. How many have done so? As the cliché goes, when you point your finger at someone else, you have 3 fingers pointed back at yourself.

23. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Poo-Bah (1,809) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

They didn't have to do it at all. Somebody is being helped by it. Regardless of what thought went into it, it's better than not doing it. *shrug*

timotao likes this.
  24. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,464) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Society

I drank several cans' worth back in 2004 when Hurricane Ivan made landfall near Pensacola, FL.

It tasted like water to me. Nothing remarkable about it.

drtth likes this.
  25. charlzm

Society

Gaddabble likes this.
  26. MNAle

Society

rgordon and charlzm like this.
  27. charlzm

Society

I know it's a long shot...

28. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,622) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I read on the internet that Al Gore invented the internet so he could spread fallacies.

Cheers!

29. drtth

AB is up to at least two truckloads as well.

30. Grand-Raggedy

Grand-Raggedy Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2014 Michigan

Man, some of y'all (you know who you are) hate AB so much it is as if your spouse had an affair with the CEO. I wasted years of my life working for an AB distributor and my vitriol is microscopic in comparison.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  31. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (387) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

Agreed. Newsflash for all of the sanctimonious hypocrites in this thread, if it wasn't for PR, charities basically wouldn't exist. Corporate giving is what fills their coffers, and it ALWAYS is done for PR on some level, or by rich people who want tax deductions. Why do you think that every single charitable board in existence is populated with business people? They're the ones that give the money.

32. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,622) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

As Yoda would say: “Strong hate for AB, BAs have.”

Cheers!

33. Jeffwise

Jeffwise Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2014 Pennsylvania

It'd be way cooler to send 51000 cans of beer. Water is cool but everyone does that.

34. HighWine

HighWine Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

"Because the brewer you love to hate, still can fill at will."

- Ice Cube

35. Pisthetaerus

They have a hell of a lot more production capacity than OB though.
    Yeah because I'm sure an expenditure of this size would be more than afterthought on AB's budget if they weren't trying to milk it for PR.

#115 Pisthetaerus, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  36. MNAle

Society

Our entitled society gets to decide how much money is "fair" for others to donate and to pay in other ways. Damned arrogent if you ask me (not to mention self righteous and vindictive many times).

#116 MNAle, Jan 29, 2016
  37. drtth

Absolutely more capacity that OB. So what? What counts is available capacity that can be devoted to this project. (But it seems you expect them to stop/drop everything else in order to produce only cans of water.) If history proves any guide they are probably not through with two truckloads. (Unless Flint is strictly inforcing the request that nobody should ship them canned rather than bottled water.)

#117 drtth, Jan 29, 2016
    jbaker67 likes this.
  38. Pisthetaerus

Damn arrogant to try belittle people trying to look at the OPs "hey AB are good guys" post with a realistic eye.

Walmart donates to charity too. That doesn't change that they've killed off hundreds of thousands of businesses and are closing hundreds of thousands of stores that killed off those businesses.

39. Relik

Relik Initiate (107) Apr 20, 2011 Canada (NS)

Even for 2 trucks ( i hope they send more) that works out to roughly 1 can of water per person of Flint.

Don't get me wrong Im glad they are doing something but part of me feels like 1 can per person is falls just a little off the mark. i know that its not their job to donate water but just think of the feel good super bowl commercial they could toss together if they did donate even 3 cans per person and they easily could.

The St.Louis brewery has a production level of 5,000 barrels of beer a day that is roughly 19840000 oz. or 1.653 million cans. Now lets say they take an 1/5th of that production day that is 330,666 cans from one brewery or 3.3cans per person.

Using a generous water usage ratio of 3.5 barrels of water for every barrel of beer 5,000 barrels of beer would yield 17,500 barrels of water used or enough to fill 5.7 million cans.

Their hearts are in the right places and who is to say they are not doing more that we don't know about either. Like the product or not im sure the people of Flint would be glad to drink anything that doesn't contain lead.

40. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,517) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

:astonished:
    AB's St. Louis brewery (it's largest) has a capacity of 15.8 million barrels a year - that's 43,288 bbl. a day.

Pisthetaerus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.