The first beer that you loved

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by thedaveofbeer, Jun 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hwk-I-St8

Hwk-I-St8 Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2016 Iowa

Anchor Steam was the best beer ever back in the 80's along with Guinness, Harp, and Black and tans. We had an English style pub that poured a mean Black and Tan. Then Boulevard Pale Ale, which I used to bring home in growlers before they bottled.

LuskusDelph and edward_boumil like this.
  2. edward_boumil

edward_boumil Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2015 New York

Hoegaarden for me, back in 09 or so. Lived with a guy who's father was a homebrewer, he turned me onto craft beer after I explained to him I wasn't really a beer fan. Started with Hoegaarden and never looked back.

DogbiteWilliams likes this.
  3. IowaBiertrinker

IowaBiertrinker Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2010 Iowa

Not sure of the specific beer, but it was by a light beer by Krautheimer brewery we had with dinner at Gasthof zum Schiff in Obereisenheim Germany. It went well with the meal and was one of the first times I thought 'wow, beer can really be good.' Domestically, I would say Fat Tire and some of the traditional New Glarus beers got me into other styles.

4. SteveSexton203

SteveSexton203 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut

Long Trail Hit the Trail

5. Reemer686

Reemer686 Initiate (140) Oct 13, 2014 Maryland

The first beer I really loved was Sam Adams Octoberfest. That was one of the beers that got me into craft beer back in 2007 when I was in college.

LuskusDelph and Pantalones like this.
  6. deleted_user_1153949

deleted_user_1153949 Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2016

Leinenkugel's Summer Wheat and Boulevard's Unfiltered Wheat. They were both good transition beers into the craft beer world and out of macro beer, even though both now have massive distribution themselves.

7. thgreatrandini

thgreatrandini Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2014 Pennsylvania

Chimay Red
    Had no idea about different styles, drank basically nothing but lager. "This must be the best beer in the world" I thought.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  8. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2013 California

Heineken for sure, when I was younger I would destroy cases of the shit,

9. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (356) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

Becks in 4x16oz cans- 'cause 18yo living a philadelphia near pizza shops that didn't care

Craft- John John Dead Guy Ale- I had drank a solid amount of bourbon in college, Evan Williams green/black type stuff and this caught my eye, and I really really liked it. I still like regular dead guy although not the best $/oz. Wish they canned it to be honest.

10. manfromanotherplace

manfromanotherplace Initiate (0) May 19, 2015 New York

Innis and Gunn....mainly their Irish Whiskey Cask, still love it.

11. ewwiccc

ewwiccc Initiate (180) Jan 12, 2016 California
    Trader

Ice cold Sapporo with my sushi. Still a great combo even though the stuff is pretty much water compared to what I drink now!

12. Iluvink

Iluvink Initiate (140) Aug 21, 2008 Texas

Red Hook ESB. Still a fav.

jlharman likes this.
  13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,065) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

New Belgium Sunshine Wheat was the first stand out beer I remember.

14. Cloaked_Phantom

Cloaked_Phantom Devotee (414) Mar 3, 2013 Washington

The one that really got me into craft beer was Smoking Wood, but I think the first beer I ever really loved was Backwoods Bastard! Still one of my favorites to this day despite my ever changing palate.

15. PGD120

PGD120 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 New Jersey

It was probablly Sucks, I really loved that beer and really looked forward to it hitting the shelves every year,

16. DirtyDawg10

DirtyDawg10 Initiate (132) Apr 5, 2016 Connecticut

Mine was MGD, Miller Genuine Draft in the bottle. I'm not sure why I loved it but I sure did.

17. Mojo

Mojo Champion (836) Jul 21, 2012 Alabama
    Trader

In 1977, I had a taste of the old Busch Bavarian. It tasted horrible. It had this sickening metallic taste and stinging carbonation. I spit it out.

In 1978, in entered my freshman year of college, pretty secure in my sobriety and disdain for beer. My roommate offered me a Miller High Life. Reluctantly I accepted. I expected that same unpleasant experience, but instead I loved it immediately. It tasted so good. Plenty of carbonation without being overly carbonated and it didn't have that putrid metallic taste.

It has been over 20 years since Miller High Life passed from the bottle and into my mouth, but I still have great memories. I'm tempted to get one and revisit, but why ruin that memory. I know it will underwhelm now, so I'll leave it in the past where it belongs as I drink my SNPA, which is my phase 2 beer that I have fallen in love with.

18. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,127) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

And I think the old Busch Bavarian was quite good. Superior to Bud and what the current rendition is like. Oh well

LuskusDelph likes this.
  19. Lahoi

Lahoi Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2015 Kentucky

1990 or so, Keystone Light. There you go. I said it. I'm not ashamed. OK, maybe a little.

BPackert likes this.
  20. BPackert

BPackert Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2016 Ohio

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. A classic beer that never fails to impress me, every time I drink it.

21. Dzu

Dzu Savant (925) Jul 15, 2015 Russian Federation

It all started with La Trappe Quadrupel.

Lucular likes this.
  22. Reef

Reef Meyvn (1,133) Dec 2, 2016 South Carolina
    Society

[​IMG]
    Falstaff brewed Ballantine. Can't remember the beer, but I'll never forget the label.

VABA likes this.
  23. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 California

Firestone Walker Pale Ale...later renamed Pale 31.

24. HammerAndSickle

HammerAndSickle Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2016 Nebraska

Rolling Rock

puck1225 and IDABEERGUY like this.
  25. prost2hefeweizen

prost2hefeweizen Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2015 Oklahoma

Franziskaner Hefeweizen

26. IDABEERGUY

IDABEERGUY Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2013 Idaho

Ice cold IRON CITY BEER!!!! Drank barrels of it back in the day. Used to get 16oz. returnable bottles (anyone else get or remember these?) the glass was about 1/8 th of an inch thick, it came in a cardboard case that was like plywoodish thick and just as strong and weighed about 75lbs. when full!!!

27. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (3,536) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

First beer: Olde English 800. First IPA that had me at hello: Titan IPA.

28. CommanderKeen

CommanderKeen Initiate (0) May 16, 2017 Texas

When I was a kid (junior high and high school) my parents kept Shiner Bock in the fridge pretty much at all times and I would sneak a bottle or two here and there. I loved it, couldn't get enough of it. I now know they knew I was sneaking the stuff, but I kept myself somewhat under control thinking they wouldn't notice a missing bottle here and there.

That was my first beer I loved. I think from there I moved to Guinness and then Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. I still love Samuel Smith beer, excepting the Organic Chocolate Stout. Samuel Smith was the first time I noticed a brewery and seeking out beers from that brewery.

29. DogbiteWilliams

DogbiteWilliams Initiate (71) Mar 28, 2015 California

Hoegaarden. The first whiff of that coriander-rich aroma was SO different and SO superior to any other beer I'd ever had at that point in time, and the orange was also a big plus.

30. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (5,565) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Molson Golden when I was in high school.

VABA likes this.
  31. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (333) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

It's laughable now with all of the great Christmas beers in Ohio's distro but Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale was the first beer that I really thought had a lot of flavor in it.

As far as strictly non BMC Rochefort 10. I didn't like IPA's when I first tried one, it took a little getting used to but they're definitely some of my favorites now.

32. MrUse

MrUse Aspirant (293) Jun 20, 2015 Minnesota

Summit Maibock. Nice and malty, great transition beer.

33. jlharman

jlharman Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2015 Washington

Red Hook ESB.

34. RHBIII

RHBIII Initiate (0) May 17, 2017 Pennsylvania

PBR. Watching my dad drink it when I was growing up or Old Milwaukee that I got hammered on when I turned 21

IDABEERGUY likes this.
  35. Brutaltruth

Brutaltruth Poo-Bah (4,120) Mar 22, 2014 Ohio
    Society

St Pauli girl dark and Becks Dark in the late 80's. No mention of my age but
    understand that good brew was hard to find then.

36. jpkoch1962

jpkoch1962 Disciple (355) Jun 6, 2006 Indiana

Augustiner Dark Lager. Had it on tap way back in 1991 while living in Germany. In the US? Irish Ale from the now closed Mishawaka Brewery. That would have been 1993. Too bad the quality of their beers suffered in later years.

37. kwakwhore

kwakwhore Zealot (572) Nov 1, 2004 North Carolina
    Trader

German Lowenbrau.A very long time ago.

38. MouthBreather

MouthBreather Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2013 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

Black Diamond Brewing Rampage. I was crushed when they stopped distributing to the area. I ended up buying the remaining stock at a store near me when I found out they weren't shipping this way anymore.

39. WV_Charles_Homebrew

WV_Charles_Homebrew Initiate (60) May 17, 2017 West Virginia

My dad was a Stroh's guy so that was the first beer I ever had. I wouldn't say that I fell in love with it, but it still has some nostalgia going for it. Throughout my early drinking career, I drank the typical macro swill. Taste was not really a consideration so much as cost and availability. When I had my first Michelob Amber bock, that sparked something, however. It was the first beer I had that "stood out" from the pack, and while I would not consider it great today (and would not buy a BMC product even if I did) Amber bock was the first beer that I designated as a special occasion beer that I would have when taste mattered. I also had a Rolling Rock phase.

Eventually, I began my transition to craft. Like many people, SA Boston Lager was my first craft beer. I did not fall in love with it, but it was a nice change of pace. (There are other SA beers I genuinely love to this day, like the Scotch Ale.)

The beer that fully sold me on craft, though, was Arrogant Bastard and its still one of my favorites to this day.

LuskusDelph and RHBIII like this.
  40. deleted_user_950283

deleted_user_950283 Crusader (796) Feb 25, 2015
    Trader

2010 The Abyss... I liked other beers before it but that one flipped the 'love' switch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.