The Frustation of Getting Limited Beers Locally (Great Pumpkin by Elysian)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jingoro, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jingoro

Jingoro Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2014 New York

I live near Albany, NY, the state's capital and went to it's #1 craft beer place. The place is pretty big and has a huge selection. They just got in The Great Pumpkin by Elysian today and were already sold out by the time i got there at 4:30 pm. I got the Punkuchino Pumpkin Ale since they had plenty of those on the shelf. The Dark O' The Moon was sold out as well. Punkuchino was pretty good and am glad I tried it, but wasn't close to The Great Pumpkin. I went to the next closest place ten miles away and they didn't even get any 22 oz. Elysian Pumpkin Beers at all. The vendor was there when I asked and he said they were too limited and he couldn't get any for that store. It was a smaller crappier place that's closer to where I live.

WTF craft beer industry?! You hook me on your good expensive beers and then you can't make enough to supply the demand. I feel like I'm a little kid trying to beg my mom to drive me to Toys-R-Us when the new big nintendo game just came out. Hoping she'd get me there before it would sell out. I almost wanna say fuck it and go back to drinking miller lites. It's not an option cuz once you experience craft beers you can't go back, but i almost wish i could. I was driving fast to the 2nd place hoping I'd get there in time thinking they'd have some only to get there finding nothing and leaving all deflated.

#1 Jingoro, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    Tbud, Motleydrunk56, charlzm and 3 others like this.
  2. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

There are lots of craft really good or outstanding beers that are on the shelf and not all that expensive. Use the resources of this site to identify and drink them. Then you can give up the endless, fruitless quest for rare and expensive.

3. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Aspirant (293) Dec 14, 2012 Ohio

Name of the game. Buy something else of similar $$ value and quality, and I'm sure someone local to you will hook you up with one in a trade. That's what I do... go to Google and type in "reddit beer trade (name of your city)." That's where I find my local in-person swaps for that kind of stuff. Hey, might meet someone to share with in the future too!

4. Donkster46

Donkster46 Meyvn (1,352) Jul 31, 2014 Washington

That's cool. Never thought of that.

On another note. There's always people here to trade with.

tylerstravis likes this.
  5. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,075) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

Wow, I didn't realize that the Great Pumpkin was that hard to find. Sucks but I agree there are a lot of other comparable beers out there. It happens!

Sponan likes this.
  6. jarbroen

jarbroen Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Washington

It's easy to find in Washington... :stuck_out_tongue:
    It's everywhere, almost any grocery store. It's even more awesome on tap at the brewery. :slight_smile:

Now that I'm done being mean, I understand your frustration. East coast is getting some California beers way before WA.
    Even stuff from Deschutes in OR made it to WA almost last... Wtf

If you like The Great Pumpkin you will probably like Dogfish head punkin. They have a very similar profile. Not sure if that's easier to get in you area.

I just grabbed more Elysian Punkaccino. Tried it this weekend with my wife and we both really enjoyed it.

Jingoro and Donkster46 like this.
  7. Donkster46

Donkster46 Meyvn (1,352) Jul 31, 2014 Washington

Picked all of them tonight plus extra.

8. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Meyvn (1,300) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland

This is a reason why I love Maryland. Nothing here sells out except for FW special releases. Hell, we've had Caractere Rouge and Golden Blend on the shelves for over a month here before.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  9. chefkevlar

chefkevlar Aspirant (281) Apr 17, 2010 South Carolina

It's quite literally impossible for every brewery to make unlimited amounts of every beer they make. Just remember that for every beer you don't get there are probably a dozen sitting on the shelves that are just as good or better.

TMoney2591 and ChuckHardslab like this.
  10. Jingoro

thanks for the tip on dogfish head punkin. i did see that today but walked past it with eyes only for the elysian stuff. will get it next time.

11. Knobs303

Knobs303 Aspirant (271) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado

The More Recent Reviews for The Great Pumpkin are Not So Good. Maybe Your Not Missing Out?
    Completely Unrelated, but I Tasted Avery's new PumKYn(just over 17%ABV) earlier today, WOW it needs some time. Similar to Momi Hiva, needs a year to rest and for the alcohol to mellow.

12. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,233) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I'm more frustrated by not being able to get beers from Founders and Bells (just to name a few) that I see on the WBAYDN every single day.

Donkster46 likes this.
  13. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,888) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland
    Society

You mean before I got ahold of that Golden Blend:rolling_eyes:.

14. kfordham281

kfordham281 Initiate (82) Oct 29, 2005 Georgia
    Trader

Demand > Supply. Things have changed dramatically over the last 4-5 years where any "limited" beer in my area (Atlanta) is nearly impossible to get. I've essentially given up trying to get any of it. You basically need to be either unemployed or have an extremely slack job to get any of those kinds of beer in the city. KBS, Westbrook goodies, Black Note, Terrapin Reserve Series, this list goes on. Every once in a while I get lucky and be able to get a single bottle of something but being out of the beer you want is the new normal in craft these days.

15. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Champion (896) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Just be happy you live in a state where Elysian beers are even distributed.....I travel to NJ regularly to visit my girlfriend, and pick up many beers there that are not available in Ohio.....this past weekend I picked up some of my favorite pumpkin and other brews....including some Elysian and Schlafly! Yum!

Thankful to get beers like Carton Boat and other great beers in my travels!

16. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (550) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

You are on the direct opposite end of the country from where the brewery (which distributes to 10 other states, and also internationally) is located and you are bitching about what again?? Learn some things about beer distribution before going wtf on breweries with their limited releases. You guys were probably lucky to get a handful of cases out of the entire run because you are where you are.

p.s. the key to the building is that most deliveries are made well before the 9-5 set is set loose on the world.

p.p.s. hype machine.

mackeyse likes this.
  17. GeorgiaKiwi

GeorgiaKiwi Disciple (394) Dec 7, 2007 Georgia

No one is going to get all, or even most, of the limited beers these days. That is reality. Find a bottle share or tasting group in your area. There are several semi-public ones in the Atlanta area for instance. You will meet great people who want to share their beers. From that you will, as I have, make great friends , and get access to even more great beer.

18. John_Beeryman

John_Beeryman Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2014 Virginia

The problem is that sites like this one create hype, status symbols, expectations, illusions. I too have thought, ever so briefly, about quitting this great hobby just because I will never have these mythical beers. Not drinking anything because I cannot drink the best. Which is crazy, and why I tend to avoid the "Haul" thread :slight_smile:

elektrikjester and macesq like this.
  19. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,847) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Society

If only the marketplace had another way of solving this problem of grossly exceeding demand relative to the supply.

John_Beeryman likes this.
  20. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,847) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Society

OP, even worse is when I see some of the "buy local" nuts at those releases.

21. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,834) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I feel your pain, we're getting more stuff on a weekly basis it seems, but it can be very frustrating living in my part of South Carolina...I can't even get all of the cool stuff from Asheville, which is about 90 minutes from me

22. FFreak

FFreak Defender (666) Nov 10, 2013 Vermont

Hopefully the proliferation of new breweries will help to put a dent in the supply vs demand ratio. If more and more world class beers start being made, there should eventually be enough good stuff to satisfy each geographic area. Although, we all want to try the top 250 rated beers, so there will always be excess demand for those, no matter how hard they are to get.

23. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Poo-Bah (2,566) Feb 27, 2005 South Carolina
    Society

There are literally thousands of other beers out there that are just as good or better than what you are looking for. Have you tried ALL the beers available to you yet? If not, start there. If you have, you a damn lie.

24. Jirin

Jirin Aspirant (227) Apr 28, 2013 Massachusetts

You want to avoid getting into the mindset of 'MUST HAVE SPECIFIC BEER'. There's plenty of easy to find widely available beers which are much closer in quality to the beer you're looking for than Miller Lite. Breweries do their best to make their best beers widely available but there's always going to be some that for one reason or another have greater demand than supply (Hopefully not intentionally, because intentionally creating shortages is dickish). Liquor stores could certainly do a better job making sure everybody has a fair shot at them, but why, really, do you need that one specific beer?

I was frustrated when I wasn't able to get Founders KBS, then I happily bought the BCBS sitting right out there on the shelf.

25. butters_mcgee

butters_mcgee Zealot (516) Feb 26, 2014 New York

does Horeseheads Brewing make it out to Albany?
    if so,you should pick up the Pumpkin Ale they put out.... it's delicious.

26. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,428) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware
    Society

Here is my method.

Hmmm I would like some beer.
    I go to my local total wine (about a block away)
    see what's available now
    Pick up what I want based on quality/price ratio

27. IpaBeerDrinkers

IpaBeerDrinkers Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2014 California

I stopped chasing limited beers. More often than not, they do NOT live up to the hype. Additionally there are too many great beers readily available. A great example is Sculpin. Fantastic west coast IPA that is in almost any store that carries craft. My suggestion is to find alternatives, and that means drinking a ton of beer. I used to get mad if I missed out on Enjoy By or whatever. Now, I'll look and if its gone, I'll happily grab one of many substitutes that I like. Lastly, if their is something you just have to have, I personally think its easier to target stuff in trade. And keep in mind, the ratings on this site are more due to hype than objectivity. I've had multiple 100s that I hated. Have also had many 85s and 90s that are damn good.

WAbeerfiend likes this.
  28. MostlyNorwegian

Beer entitlement is what kills beer enjoyment and it is sentences like this one from the OP that gall me. "WTF craft beer industry?! You hook me on your good expensive beers and then you can't make enough to supply the demand."
    You are fortunate to be able to receive a beer that is limited; both in it release and for its packaging season, all while being so far away from its brewery. Talk to the distributor, and to the shopkeep about how hard it is for them to get some of these beers because of that very simple fact.

mackeyse likes this.
  29. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (192) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Do what I do, drink fresh, drink local. Albany must have some good local micro/brewpubs around. I bet you have world class within 25-50 miles of you, try some of your local forums.

30. pmangold

pmangold Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2014 Florida

in Orlando it's hit or miss with limited release. I'll head to a bottle shop or total wine with a limited beer in mind. If that beer isn't available when I get there (I work 7am-5pm M-F) then I grab something or go back home and enjoy something I got last time. Most of the time they have something else that I forgot I wanted and will grab up what they will allow (Oracle and Mars are my most recent surprise finds at both stores.)

31. misternebbie

misternebbie Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

There are plenty of beers that I'm longing to try but being locked away here in Penn's Woods, most of the west coast beers do not make it this far , but life's not so bad, I'm sipping a Black Butte Porter, a 1st time try for me of this outstanding Oregon offering.
    Nebbie

32. BadJustin

BadJustin Initiate (162) Dec 18, 2010 New York

I don't get why people get all pissy when they can't snag a beer they used to be able to with ease. Isn't that what "Beer Advocacy" is all about? Also, are you originally from Vermont?

33. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (626) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

Welcome to craft beer

On a side note, there are plenty of other amazing beers just waiting for you on the shelf-pumpkin or not. I imagine I'll probably get skunked when Avery Rumpkin comes out but who cares when I can easily get all the Schlafly Pumpkin Ale and Crown Valley Imperial Pumpkin Smash I can handle

34. mohawk5

mohawk5 Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2014 New Jersey

I feel your pain. Just blame the 30K Millionaires out there living at home with time to spare chasing beer trucks and loading up at liquor stores only to not drink their bounty but to trade online for "whalez bro".

But like most people here have already said there are plenty of "shelf turds" that blow away these limited quantity overhyped beers. Plus you never know when great beer falls into your lap. When you happen to be out at a bar out of state or whatever.

35. JISurfer

JISurfer Poo-Bah (1,993) Dec 10, 2002 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Yep, try living in Charleston, when Westbrook releases Mex Cake, Gose, or anything else.

36. WAbeerfiend

WAbeerfiend Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2014 Washington
    Deactivated

I drain-poured The Great Pumpkin this year after paying $10.99 for a bomber. There are much better pumpkin beers out there as others have said.

37. Jingoro

not really. i tried a couple of the most notable ones and the hard cider from albany was a dry champagne tasting cider that fell short of jk's stuff flavor-wise. the best beer was brown's outmeat stout and that was pretty good, but like a b+. a local gourmet pizza place makes a crust out of it and they do buffalo chicken pizza's which seems like a perfect match, but i've yet to try it. i usually just get the buffalo chick with a whole wheat crust or something fancy like goat cheese pizza on whole wheat crust. i tend to wash down the pizza with whatever craft beer i have handy so it seems like overkill to get the crust beer flavored.

38. Jingoro

i mean i get it, but at the same time when i have to spend like 40 minutes driving back and forth then it's hard not to get pissy. the closer place is smaller and gets less stuff or none at all of the limited releases. i do the longer drive and find they are sold out by 4:30pm of a limited beer that they just got in that day. it's like how is that possible? who are these people that are able to stop in during early morning and afternoon hours to buy limited craft beers? it just seems like everyone but me knows when it's coming out and when to make the bum rush to this store to grab it. i just happened to go there on the day it arrived by coincidence and was frustrated as hell to see it sold out already. it's like everyone makes there life revolve around the releases of these beers just like i did as a kid with nintendo games. shouldn't it just be you walk into the place and happen to see it on the shelf? i feel like i need to pay the shop owner off or something just to get a beer i want.

39. MostlyNorwegian

Welcome to the chase. You gotta be in tight with your stores stockists, and you gotta know when their deliveries come in. I remember really how important this was with buying records, or comic books that are limited presses that people other than me also REALLY want. Same thing with beers that are packaged once or twice a year. There's only a finite quantity available, and the majority of this beer is going to be sold in its home market and the rest is going to go to its best markets, and on down to the dribs and drabs and the single case or less allotments that outlier markets are stuck scrambling for.
    And no, this particular kind of beer should never be like Thor's endless flask of mead. You are confusing good (seasonal) beer with BMC product. That kind of availability and ease of transaction would send beer dorks up in arms too, and it would mean huge losses for the brewery because this product has a very very finite shelf life. Even shorter than the super charged whale diaper beers.
    Ever consider that people have different schedules too. The service industry standard evening shift, starts between 4-5. Those mofo's get first dibs. First shift workers who are done by 3:30 get seconds. The slacker class is always there anyways. So, when your region is alloted 4 cases, and your store is getting just one of them your work is cut out for you.
    Get to know the owner of the store well enough that they will look out for you when they know a beer you like is coming in.

pmangold likes this.
  40. pmangold

pmangold Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2014 Florida

THIS!!! the comic book reference was spot on. I used to get any and every book I wanted (no matter how rare) and rarely spent big money on them. I got in good with the shop owner and made sure he knew that my business was important and consistent. As I started getting into the craft game, I found myself starting to do the same thing. It's still early in my beer quest (been drinking beer for 8 months to a year) so we'll see how far this gets me soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.