1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

The glory of old De Dolle bottles

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by JAXSON, Feb 5, 2019.

1. JAXSON

JAXSON Savant (905) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Is anyone here old enough to remember the old De Dolle 75cl bottles from the early 2000's? I came upon a stash of "Mad Bitch" in green glass 75cl bottles around 2007, and they were pretty much the best beers I've ever had. I know they've put out a few iterations of Stille Nacht Reserva since the glorious 2000, but the newer ones have been just alright, probably even a step down from regular Stille Nacht. I've also seen a couple 75cl bottles of Oerbier Reserva, including a purple label (??).

Anyone here get to try any of the old 75cl bottles before they became completely oxidized? More importantly, have they released any odd/one-off bottles in recent years that are worth going after? I haven't really kept up with things -- this is my first post in a couple years at least.

Elfastball7, zid and Chaz like this.
  2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,601) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Well if you take a look at my reviews they're all in the early 2000's with one bottle listed from '95 or something. A lot of the bottles were not marked with dates as I recall. Interestingly I was never really a De Dolle fan although my numbers wouldn't reflect that - they made great beers though, so they earned those. The one I drank the most of was the "Oerbier" but that was their most available beer at the time. I remember buying a case of that (in PA you had to buy a case) around '97 (?). Later, that was surpassed by the "Mad Bitch/Dulle Teve" but that's because it became the easiest to find. I passed by lots of "Stille Nacht" in my time because of the price, and some of the stout, which I should have bought because that was hard to find. Yeah, good times. I've never been to Belgium but maybe I should put them on my list of places to visit.

Just out of curiosity, you're not the Jeep guy are you?

Bitterbill likes this.
  3. JAXSON

JAXSON Savant (905) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Sorry, just saw your reply. I have a lot of nostalgia about those old De Dolle bottles. I’m not the Jeep guy...what’s that about?

4. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,030) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

There was a great shop in Germany that I frequented last year - they had a 750 of Stille Nacht. Never purchased it, but it was definitely a few years old. De Dolle is amazing. Oerbier is awesome, although the Reserva wasn't as good to me.

5. HopBelT

HopBelT Meyvn (1,242) Mar 18, 2014 Belgium
    Society Trader

Was it SN or SN Reserva ?
    BTW this year's Boskeun was released a couple of weeks ago. Also great stuff !

6. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (2,785) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana