Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

The Greatness Of Guinness?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Brianhophead, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucasj82

lucasj82 Aug 13, 2009 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Never really cared for Guinness to be honest. I always thought it tasted like a watered down stout.
    BrownAleMale and fredmugs like this.
  2. MarioM

MarioM Sep 13, 2009 California

When I first started drinking beer I liked Guinness but always preferred Murphy's, but I haven't craved nor enjoyed one in a long time. It tastes flat and watery to me now, it just doesn't do it for me anymore, its a great beer don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing it at all. I'm sure my opinion would change if I had it fresh in Ireland but who knows.
  3. PittBeerGirl

PittBeerGirl Feb 27, 2007 Ohio

I only like Guiness on St. Patricks Day - but I really think I prefer Murpheys Irish Stout over Guiness. OK. Never a fan of the Guiness- but it is a "gateway" beer into craft beer like
    Yuengling, Blue Moon, or any Sam Adams brew.
    weonfire likes this.
  4. Gregfalone

Gregfalone Sep 5, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

In my opinion guiness draught is garbage. Bland, thin and flat.
    On the other hand, I think the guiness extra stout is fantastic! And the foreign extra stout is phenomenal
    Tut and fredmugs like this.
  5. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Jan 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)

When I was a lot more casual about beer, albeit still a through and through real ale drinker, I liked it a lot. It's in every UK pub and it was my fallback beer of choice. Not now though. Since I've been reviewing my appetites have been honed and I've learned to place beer under a lot more scrutiny and Guinness does not cut it. It is slightly better in the UK, perhaps, but it's still not great. It's infinitely better than Newkie Brown though.
  6. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Aug 1, 2009 Washington

And that to me, is the point of guiness!
  7. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 May 18, 2011 Illinois

Agreed. It's like stout flavored water. Their Foreign Extra though is very good . (Haven't had that beer in about a year and when I had that one I really liked Lion Stout and Sierra Nevada Stout. So take my opinion for whatever.)
    lucasj82 likes this.
  8. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Jan 1, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

9. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Nov 8, 2012 Missouri
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I could not have said it any better. It was proof that there was more to beer than the AB/Miller style lagers at that time. It helped to unleash my inner BA, and for that, I will always be grateful! Cheers!
    AleYes and devlishdamsel like this.
  10. marquis

marquis Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

Guinness made its name and reputation when it was basically the same as today's Foreign Extra Stout.
    It's perhaps a little watery these days but it is not intended as a sipping beer but as a DRINK.For people to consume several pints at a sitting and at that strength it fits the bill.It's horses for courses , it's not trying to compete with stouts of twice its strength , it's an easy drinking beer in its own right.
  11. willbm3

willbm3 Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

It's a fine beer. Not bad, not great. Taste is a little watery and lacking but it has great mouthfeel. It fits its own little niche. If I'm in the mood for a stout I won't drink Guinness, but sometimes I'm just in the mood for Guinness.

I do get a good laugh when my BMC friends claim that it's "too heavy and filling." Meanwhile it's by far the lightest beer I've ever drank. The only beer I've drank 2 8-packs in a sitting and the only beer I could stomach a 32oz pour of on an obscenely hot day in New Orleans
    JimKal likes this.
  12. SStein

SStein Dec 26, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Guinness was definitely a gateway beer for me (along with Shiner, Fat Tire and few others) and because of that will always hold a place in heart. However, it is not often I drink it anymore, usually for random occasions such as St. Paddy's Day. There are too many good stouts out there to just stick to Guinness.
  13. WYVYRN527

WYVYRN527 Jan 8, 2007 Minnesota

I used to enjoy Guinness from time to time. I don't buy it much anymore, but every once in a while, I'll order a pint when I'm out. On St. Patrick's Day, I always pick up a four-pack of Foreign Extra.
  14. Lutter

Lutter Jun 30, 2010 Texas

As others have said: if you're in the US... Foreign Extra is where it's at.

Nothing is better than drinking a Guinness in an old dusty pub in Dublin though.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  15. jesskidden

jesskidden Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

I think your argument should be with Guinness, since one would think it wasn't "yanks" who wrote the FAQ that appears on their Irish website (note the "ie" in URL http://www.guinness.com/en-ie/faqs.html ) as well as most other countries' Guinness websites:

16. philgill

philgill Feb 15, 2012 Ireland

I think someone ought to point out that this thread was started while all the Guinness drinkers in the auld country are in bed and unable to stand up for the countrys most famous export.

My stance on this topic has changed dramatically in the last 5 years since I started getting into craft brewing and Craft beer. Before that I would barely even contemplate drinking anything other than a pint of Guinness because why would i bother? Once you know where to get the best Guinness then you are set. Now thats the kicker, Guinness is so inconsistent, even in Ireland from bar to bar there is a remarkable difference in how the beer tastes out of the Glass. Some places it can be a beautiful creamy smooth drink with a puckering finish getting you to go back for more, while in others it can have a 'wet paper' taste with a weedy bitterness which is not pleasant at all. Its phoesible to get both pints in the same bar. Even in the Brewery itself where my company has had its last few christmas parties the pint available in there does not stand up to the old man bars around the corner.

So bearing in mind that in the city I live in (I can smell the malt from the Guinness Megabrewery as I type) the 'pint' is maddeningly inconsistent is it possible to know what true Guinness is meant to be like?
  17. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

Foreign Extra Stout is pretty awesome. Extra Stout and normal Guinness - not so much.
  18. danieelol

danieelol Jun 15, 2010 Australia

To people whose world consists of filtered, straw yellow, tetra-hopped, riced/corned and metallic lagers; Guinness is an altogether different beast- a dark, slightly thicker, nitrogenated beer for the more "hardcore" drinker.

To craft drinkers it's just another crap macro, albeit from the land of poetry and alcoholism.
    AleYes and meanmutt like this.
  19. MADPolo

MADPolo Dec 19, 2012 Alabama

Guinness & Yeungling are my go to's when I get stuck at a local restuarant or bar that only serves the usual suspects. It isn't something I would buy to take home, but it works in a pinch.
    chuckstout and creepinjeeper like this.
  20. nc41

nc41 Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

It's bland. After drinking so many breakfast stout kind brews I wouldn't bother with Guinness again.
  21. bleakies

bleakies Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I think of it as an analog of most Sam Adams brews: a beer I always pass up until I get to a bar where it's the sole alternative to BMC and realize that it's not bad at all and I'm quite happy to have it.

As to flavors (and ABVs), I appreciate options ranging from subtle to robust: sometimes I want several brews and sometimes just one; sometimes it's nice to concentrate on a beer and sometimes it's nice to throw several back while concentrating on something else. A big, robust imperial stout is a fine thing but sometimes it's exactly what I don't want in a stout.
    AleYes and jcb7472 like this.
  22. BigCheese

BigCheese Jul 4, 2009 Massachusetts

I give Guinness credit for being so widely available (internationally) and so much "scarier" in apperance than the other various lawmower lagers.

In my travels to the Caribbean and china it was often the only non-lager available.

Its by no means great, but its consistent, has a nice body/head, and goes excellent with Carbombs or Smithwicks in a Black & Tan. The Extra Stout and FES are both quite tasty.
    fredmugs likes this.
  23. Derranged

Derranged Mar 7, 2010 New York

Guinness from a can is relatively bland. Guinness Extra Stout and Guinness Foreign Extra are definitely more flavorful, the latter being more so than the former.
  24. PangaeaBeerFood

PangaeaBeerFood Nov 30, 2008 New York

Define greatness.

If you're talking about greatness by BA standards, Guinness Draught ISN'T great. It only rates a 78/100 and the bros rated it 64/100. That doesn't even make the "top beers" list for the Irish Dry Stout style, and that style tends to be rated less overall than other varieties of Stout. This is due to BA'ers propensity to gravitate towards bigger, boozier, ballsier beers and shy away from anything mass produced.

If you're talking about greatness by sales and overall cultural impact, that's a much deep discussion. Branding goes a long way. Guinness is to the beer world what, to an extent, Coca-Cola is to the soft drink industry. It's a brand that goes back many generations, has been globally distributed for what seems like forever, and as a result, is intertwined with people's culture, so it gives them that warm and fuzzy feeling that subconsciously adds to the overall consumption experience. Branding aside, Guinness is a manufacturing marvel, with extremely high quality and consistency (in business terms, i.e. low defect and little to no variability). It's also priced and distributed in a way that's competitive with BMC beers, but is a MUCH different product that no one else really offers in the big business platform, so it's perfect product differentiation.

So yeah, long story short, it might not be the most impactful and mind-blowing beer on the market, but Guinness runs a flawless business, makes an incredibly delicious and consistent product, and as such, sells a shit ton of beer, and will continue to, probably forever.
    tonyseleski, drh88 and Retsinis like this.
  25. PatriotsRule

PatriotsRule Sep 25, 2012 Massachusetts

Guiness draught is well balanced and smooth going down. I would say it is a great classic beer. Was surprised to see it is only 4.something odd percent alcohol. Guiness draughts sure can get me drunk quickly. You gotta love the pint cans too, a seemingly authentic UK style!
  26. lucasj82

lucasj82 Aug 13, 2009 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Foreign Extra is ok in my book.
  27. champ103

champ103 Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

Guinness in the US and Guinness in Ireland/UK is the same beer. The taste is no different.

For my tastes it is bland a crappy. I hate, with a passion, nitro. I lived in Scotland, traveled in England and Ireland plenty. It is the same crappy nitro, pasteurized crap across the pond as it is in the States. If you like it fine, I am not going to tell anyone what they should or should not like. It is the same though, deal with it.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  28. marquis

marquis Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

I can't understand the logic of posters who criticise the 4% or so ABV Guinness for not having the taste of much stronger stouts. It isn't intended to and doesn't need to as it's a different sort of drink.Guinness do offer a stronger stout in the form of FES so what's the problem? One's for drinking and one's for sipping. Why confuse the two?
    Having said that, there are masses of stouts and porters from small breweries here which are much more flavourful than Guinness yet are around the same ABV.
    frazbri, dcook11 and chinabeergeek like this.
  29. Jonny

Jonny Mar 18, 2009 Massachusetts

I would absolutely love to try Guinness in the auld country! (over the course of a few weeks might i add)
    Till' then, I'll stick to draft here in the states ...
  30. JKAllen

JKAllen Sep 8, 2012

On Tap, it's pretty good.... cans/bottles... not at all. There are other stouts that lend themselves much better to bottling. And other stouts that I prefer in general, like Cooper's or a few from Highland in NC.

I guess it really comes down to preference and since I've never had it in Ireland, I'll venture no guesses....
  31. bushycook

bushycook Jan 31, 2011 Virginia
    Beer Trader

You can't even compare a non-impy stout with guiness, it has to be dry irish stout to dry irish stout. I prefer Victory Donnybrook and O' Connor Irish to Guiness, and these stouts are made to be sessionable, to give you the roastiness in a stout, yet be lighter in mouthfeel and abv.
  32. Zimbo

Zimbo Aug 7, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Without a doubt Guinness is far from being what it once was. But if you really want to have your Guinness illusions crushed then book yourself in for a Guinness Storehouse in Dublin for about 16 Euros a head. A glossy cynical attempt to extract as much money and its not even a brewery tour. And I'm sure you'll love jockeying for position at the end of it as you fight the masses for your 'complimentary' pint and tile of floor space to enjoy the stuff.
    More 'kissing the blarney stone ' bullsheet in my book.
    Tut and tabascosigned like this.
  33. tabascosigned

tabascosigned Oct 4, 2012 Virginia

I like Guinness. That being said there are 2 things that it is GREAT for.

1. Hashing (drinking and running)
    2. 8am weekend footy/rugby tv-watchin drinkin
  34. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

When it comes to pub cans, I prefer Murphy's. But on tap I enjoy any of them.
  35. GardenWaters

GardenWaters Jan 8, 2012 Illinois

I agree. After drinking Impy's, even regular stouts just seem........ wimpy.
  36. Danielbt

Danielbt May 4, 2012 Texas

Unless Ireland imports their Guinness, it tastes like shite in the auld country too.
    AleYes and Tut like this.
  37. BrewStew58

BrewStew58 Mar 29, 2011 New York

Guinness is terrible, Guinness' only purpose is to avoid using a better beer for a car bomb.
  38. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I'll still drink it if I'm at an Irish pub with limited draft selections. But generally speaking, I'll go for O'Hara's or Berkshire's Drayman or Coffeehouse Porter when available over Guinness.
  39. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Mar 23, 2008 California

Irish Dry Stout is not a favorite style of mine, but Guinness Draught is a fine example of one.
  40. champ103

champ103 Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

Wait, so are some people saying they don't like regular excellent stouts, say: Kalamazoo, Obsidian, Old # 38, Cadillac Mountain, etc because you all have had Abyss, Expedition, Old Rasputin, etc? That is ridiculous.:rolleyes:
    Errto, kojevergas and chinabeergeek like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!