Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

The Greatness Of Guinness?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Brianhophead, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luwak

luwak Mar 2, 2010 Arizona
    Beer Trader

No im not confusing them. i just don't want to drink anything that doesn't wow me. I'm not that interested in drinking beer just to drink a beer. And i very rarely want to drink more than one of any beer.

2. DaKur

DaKur Nov 15, 2012 Rhode Island

I'm just not a Guinness fan period.

chocosushi likes this.
  3. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Dec 6, 2012

Your moments are so precious, let us not waste another

luwak likes this.
  4. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

I prefer the export stout. Tap or draught can IMO, is creamy, muddy water on my palate. Tolerable but underwhelming, I'll take their export stout thanks.

5. diesel59

diesel59 Jan 3, 2012 New York

i agree... I would much rather have guinness extra stout anyday....

6. semibaked

semibaked Mar 27, 2007 Kentucky

I agree, I have had most of their offerings (draught, extra, foreign extra, black lager, generous, maybe a couple others) and the biggest thing I don't like from Guinness is their beers are very watery to me.

7. Chinon01

Chinon01 Jan 23, 2007 Pennsylvania

People don't drink session beers because they have less flavor. Coniston Bluebird Bitter is a wonderfully flavorful beer; but one w/ a character that allows one to have 2, 3 or 4 at a setting. It's a fully enjoyable and mentally engaging experience. A beer doesn't need to be a Wagnerian opera to get your attention. The only mindless beers are light beers in my opinion.

champ103 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  8. dmeadows

dmeadows Aug 6, 2002 New York

Really? I've grown bored with DIPAs, but there's always room in my fridge for a London Pride.

9. luwak

Beer Trader

Okay I'm sure that's true for some. But for me having 4 of the same beer is not going to be engaging unless the beer is really phenomenal and then if it is, i might not be able to drink 4 of them .... but we all have different drinking styles.

i was just saying i wouldn't justify drinking a Guinness because it was there or because it was "sessionable" and the reason is that i think it tastes bland and boring and kinda bad. i rather not drink any beer than one that is forgettable.

10. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I was trying, and failed, at sarcasm. It was my analogy for everyone who was trying to say once you've had an imperial stout you can't enjoy an Irish dry stout. I was implying that's akin to saying once you've had a double IPA you can never enjoy an English pale ale.

11. mildlybitter75

mildlybitter75 Aug 17, 2009 Pennsylvania

I agree with the one post Murphy's is soo much better! I use to drink a lot of Guinness but have found it's quility going down hill; tasting very watered down and bland.

Blueribbon666 likes this.
  12. AlcahueteJ

Chinon01 is saying exactly what I was. But I understand, and agree, with your point that one shouldn't drink Guinness simply because it's lower abv and is the best thing on tap. But there's certainly challenging and complex lower abv beers out there.

13. Chou

Chou Apr 17, 2012 Oregon

Nothing could COMPARE when I was visiting Ireland... I had it on draught every night. Creamy and delicious with a little shamrock drawn in the foam on top. Partly the glamour of vacation, partly the fact it was nitro, partly the fact that the recipe/water IS different there than here, but it was heaven.

In a bottle at home? Even on draught at home? meh. Really not great. But there are several "brands" of Guinness, some made in Canada, some made in the US, some made in Ireland. They really do taste different. Try it on nitro at an Irish pub with good friends. It is one of those magical brews.

14. Chinon01

"But for me having 4 of the same beer is not going to be engaging unless the beer is really phenomenal and then if it is, i might not be able to drink 4 of them .... "

Stop, I do not understand. Why can't you drink 4 pints of phenomenal beer? What's stopping you?

15. ShortHop

ShortHop Apr 24, 2008 Illinois

Not a fan of Guinness. On top of that I get the impression that a lot of macro drinkers (not all) drink it just to seem worldly. Which is fine, I suppose.

That said, I always hear that it's better overseas. I've heard that accredited to the idea that it's "fresh" but it's brewed in a lot of places outside of Ireland, including in North America.

I've also heard that difference in the water used in the brewing process here vs. there plays a big part, which makes more sence. More iron or calcium or something?

Edit: I see someone beat me to it 3 posts up. I should also point out I skimmed the thread.

16. luwak

Beer Trader

Might get bored (likely) or drunk (possibly)

17. tonyseleski

tonyseleski Jun 30, 2011 Michigan

I buy a 4 pack every now and again when I'm feeling like drinking something light. It's a pretty good food beer I think.

A Guinness on draft is always something I'll go back to from time to time.

18. Chinon01

Ok I don't know your tolerance so I must accept that 4 pints might get you drunk. But I fail to see how a beer that you consider to be "phenomenal" could be boring to you at one setting.

"Dude, all you have to drink is Pliny the Elder?! Well this'll get boring fast"

19. luwak

Beer Trader

that's actually a perfect example...i'd never drink more than two Plinys... I've had a few chances to do so with that particular beer and while the first two are awesome two is the limit cause after that who cares? ...

because i don't want to keep tasting the same thing for an hour...

as for drunk...if they are say 12 percent ABV or higher 4 is a bit of boose...but even if they were low abv its still boring to drink the same stuff...
    anyway point is made. nothing else for me to say really...just wasting volume in cyberspace now...

20. Chinon01

I hear ya on abv but I still don't get how you can get bored w/ a "phenomenal" beer at one setting. Cheers

21. bulletrain76

bulletrain76 Nov 6, 2007 California

Keep drinking beer and someday you'll see.

22. brikelly

brikelly Apr 11, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Four pages in and nobody has mentioned Guinness farts.

Your spouses are obviously good human beings who don't wake you up at 3am to ask where they can go in the house to breathe.

23. BrownAleMale

BrownAleMale Dec 14, 2011 Wisconsin
    ¡Bad Trader! Beer Trader

This is an oatmeal stout and also retired right?

24. BrownAleMale

BrownAleMale Dec 14, 2011 Wisconsin
    ¡Bad Trader! Beer Trader

I agree, ecspecially on nitro tap, Murphys is head and shoulders above Guinness. You wanna make a Guinness good add some UV Espresso vodka. The combo of a Guinness mouthfeel with a espresso vodka taste.

25. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Jan 16, 2011 Missouri

Export Stout is the only Guiness to drink. The "regular" Guiness Stout on tap in the US is a watery mess. I'd rather have a Budweiser.

26. marquis

marquis Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

That's akin to saying that you only listen to loud music and if it doesn't pin you to the wall it doesn't meet the bill.There's a place for loud music but as far as I'm concerned it's tiring and I feel a little deaf afterwards. It's nice to be seduced or charmed by more subtle music, beautifully composed to which I can listen for hours and still want more.
    I actually do get more enjoyment from beers of modest strength which I can fully explore than from very strong ones where the flavours are so concentrated they get tangled with each other.

27. Darwin553

Darwin553 Jan 5, 2009 Australia

+1

Some people just can't sit back and enjoy the simple pleasures in life.

28. jesskidden

jesskidden Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

The Guinness Export Stout (8% abv) that is primarily (only?) sold in Belgium? Or the Foreign Extra Stout (7.5% abv) that just returned to the US market in 2010. Two different Guinness products, the former not exported to the US.

Which Guinness stouts are made in the US? There hasn't been any since the early 1950's when they closed their Long Island City, NY brewery. The current stouts Guinness markets in the US are the Irish-brewed Draught (keg, bottle, can) and Foreign Extra Stout and the brewed-under-license Extra Stout from Canada by Labatt (label will read "Toronto") or Moosehead ("New Brunswick").

29. patto1ro

patto1ro Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands
    Subscriber

I disagree with that. I've had (fresh) Pliny the Elder. Given the choice of that and a well-kept pint of London Pride, I'd go for the latter every time.

30. patto1ro

Subscriber

Guinness Special Export Stout is sold in all of the Benelux. Lovely beer. I much prefer it to Foreign Export Stout.

31. patto1ro

Subscriber

That's so sad. I really feel sorry for you.

herrburgess and bulletrain76 like this.
  32. marquis

marquis Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

Perhaps nobody's explained to him what beer is for :)

33. chocosushi

chocosushi May 1, 2011 Oklahoma

I cannot stand the taste of Guinness, & I have heard from another
    BA (saramisu) that what we drink here is worlds apart from what they
    drink across the pond.
    Export & FES are great though, & I love how those versions have
    such a place in hip-hop culture.

34. chinabeergeek

chinabeergeek Aug 10, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

my guess is luwak is quite a bit younger than 30, or if not, is simply one of those adrenaline junkie types. or at least the beer equivalent. maybe he'll grow out of it. or maybe not.

35. eric5bellies

eric5bellies Jun 9, 2006 Australia

I've always prefered Murphy's Stout over Guinness, however the John Martin Special Export Guinness is a very solid stout, albeit a different style of stout.

36. chocosushi

chocosushi May 1, 2011 Oklahoma

That's pretty Judgmental & off topic...

chinabeergeek likes this.
  37. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

You are correct sir, my mistake. I was referring to the Foreign Extra Stout @ 7.5%. The Canadian Extra Stout would be my 2nd choice...I find both to have more flavor than the more common can or tap draught.

38. AlcahueteJ

See one of my posts a few posts up from this one. I was trying to be sarcastic by comparing this to everyone in the thread who was saying you can't enjoy an Irish dry stout once you've had imperial stouts.

39. sm0key

sm0key Apr 24, 2009 Michigan

I bought a sixer of Extra Stout out of nestolgia because if this thread. I have to say that it tastes great, just a bit thinner than the stout that I've grown accustomed to. FES is a fine beer too.

Bottom line, haters gonna hate!

chuckstout likes this.
  40. patto1ro

Subscriber

Yeah, I missed your sarcasm. Apologies.

This whole Irish Dry Stout thing is weird. Guinness as it is today only really dates from the 1950's. And the term Irish Dry Stout I'm sure was first coined by Michael Jackson in the 1970's.

Why does no-one ever complain that modern Guinness is too weak for a Stout? Up unitil 1916, Guinness Extra Stout was the same gravity as Foreign Extra Stout and about 7.5% ABV.

champ103 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe