The How My APA IPA Turned Out Thread

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,953) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

I know several people have now brewed the APA IPA (Averagely Perfect American IPA) recipe, and some may even have packaged and carbonated it by now. Mine's on day 5 in the fermenter. So I thought I'd start a clean thread for feedback on how it turned out. That is all.

2. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (393) May 2, 2006 Utah

Glad you posted this. Unfortunately I cannot yet say as I have been holding off on the dry hopping until I get to where I can keg it in a timely fashion. I'll say that mine looks very enticing sitting in the primary carboy, where it is currently conditioning at 50 F.

3. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Poo-Bah (2,495) May 21, 2010 Texas
    Society

Well I was the first to brew it, and also the first to taste it. My brother and me opened a test bottle last sunday...

DELICIOUS!!!

It had enormous aroma and flavor, kind of a pseudo-fruit bomb IPA with some piney-ness. It was still a touch green, but that's why you bottle 12ozers. Today it should be perfectly conditioned, and I have a bomber chillin' in the fridge. I will report back with a more complete review at that time!

All things considered, I think it will be a very pleasant surprise for any nay-sayers who thought it would be so-so.

4. BumpkinBrewer

BumpkinBrewer Disciple (318) Jan 6, 2010 Massachusetts

The one time I try to adjust my mash temp on the fly with cold water and I end up wicked low, Damn!. The OG was 1.063 so there was certainly conversion but the error is shown in the FG which was 1.006. It still tastes good and it's currently being dry hopped in the keg. Once there is room in the fridge, I'll carb it up and make a final assessment.

5. DAllspaw

DAllspaw Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2009 Indiana

1.5 weeks in the bottle, will try in another week. I've learned to be patient. The sample at bottling was very pleasing, fairly light in color, and taste was very much as described by caponejr.

6. AlCaponeJunior

Society

Well I'm now having my first bomber of the APA IPA. It's tasty! A proper description...

Light tan with hints of orange, clear (very clear!), with a pretty darn good 2 finger head with plenty of staying power, leaving nice sticky lacing.

Aroma is very nice as well. I get a nice fruity aroma and plenty of pine. Malts are subdued but then given the grist I am not surprised by this.

Flavors are quite nice too. My brother described it as a fruit bomb, I describe it more of a fruity IPA with a significant pine and citrus aspect. I get oranges (him too) mainly, but some ruby red grapefruit too, and a little bit of a floral aspect. Pine accents nicely. There's enough maltiness to provide for a good balance to the pronounced hoppiness.

Body wise it's medium body with ample but smooth carbonation and a fruity hops finish.

Overall I'm extremely pleased. I would happily brew this IPA again.

Cheers to Vikeman!

7. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (482) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

I just kegged my APA IPA two days ago, so this morning for breakfast I poured my first one.

Aroma is predominately citrus. You know it's an IPA. Color leans toward tan'ish, I'd say about SRM 8-10. Taste is very clean and crisp, both pine and citrus. My neighbor thought more oranges, but to me it was ruby-red grapefruit all the way. Not sure I would call it a fruit bomb, but the experience is very pleasant with a nice finish. Only two days under pressure, so not much in the way of head/bubbles yet.

I am right at the 4 week mark and this is as good as anything I've brewed at this stage.

8. mattbk

mattbk Devotee (432) Dec 12, 2011 New York
    Brewery

I haven't brewed this yet - trying to find time to work into the schedule. For those that have - how has the bitterness turned out?

9. PortLargo

Computed bitterness was 65 and I expect that's close to how I ended up. BU/GU was expected to be 1.00, but I missed my OG slightly and ended up at 1.08. All but 9 of the IBU's come from 15 minutes or less. I am only at the four week mark, but I think it is wonderfully balanced. The first reaction is definitely to the citrus aroma and citrus/pine taste. This is all very crisp and clean and dominates over any reaction to the malt. I think this is the definition of a West Coast IPA.

10. samtallica

samtallica Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2010 North Carolina

I brewed this about 3 weeks ago. Dry hopping now and kegging this Tuesday. Some Citra I needed to get rid of may have fallen into my kettle in place of the Cascades. Whoops. The sample I took today tasted nice.

DAllspaw and NiceFly like this.
  11. AlCaponeJunior

Society

I find it more balanced than the worst case scenarios predicted. It's certainly not over-bittered at all.

12. NiceFly

NiceFly Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2011 Tajikistan

Just transfered to secondary:grimacing: and dryhopped. I usually keg but I want to bottle condition this one so I am using a secondary.

My OG was 62, FG 14 so 2 points higher than suggested. A bit darker than usual, but I usually just use 2-Row and some sugar. It is a dark orange.

Nice hop flavor and aroma, go figure:astonished:. Flavor is dominated by pine and grapefruit. No bitterness to speak of, maybe carbonation will cure that but I doubt it. Any hopbursted beer I have done in the past lacked bitterness no matter what the calculator said.

Very tasty, would drink again.

thatche2 and mattbk like this.
  13. wspscott

wspscott Champion (882) May 25, 2006 Kentucky

Dryhopped on Sat, going to bottle next weekend. It smelled awesome.

14. PortLargo

[​IMG]

I feel a little bit sorry for IPA-Lovers who have nothing better to drink than Stone, Dogfish, Green Flash, or Bell's.

b-mc-g, thatche2, NeroFiddled and 4 others like this.
  15. JebediahScooter

JebediahScooter Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2010 Vermont

That, sir, is a baller setting for the consumption of what appears to have been an excellent glass of beer.

NeroFiddled, jlordi12 and wspscott like this.
  16. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,811) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

That made my day.

NeroFiddled and NiceFly like this.
  17. NiceFly

NiceFly Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2011 Tajikistan

Haha, I just bottled. Of course I tried one. It has been a while since my eyes dilated after a sip of beer, but this one did it. Goodness gracious.

The aroma when I removed the airlock was something like I have never brewed before. The only commercial example I have had that is close to the aroma is Flower Power.

Cannot wait to try it carbed and cold.

hara94 and rmalinowski4 like this.
  18. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2013 Texas

not your recipe but mine ..... Just opened , day 14 bottle rest

[​IMG]

19. samtallica

Mine:
    [​IMG]

As others have said, tons of citrus. Grapefruit with pine in the background. Mine has some Citra in it, but I wouldn't guess that based on the aroma/flavor. Definitely dominated by the Centennial and Simcoe. Just enough malt to know it's there. Not overwhelmingly bitter. A nice beer I won't mind drinking quite a few pints of.

PortLargo likes this.
  20. Naugled

Naugled Defender (640) Sep 25, 2007 New York

I just finished brewing. It smells fantastic. Hit the OG dead on (I thought target was 1.064, so I'm a bit high). My only tweaks were using Calypso instead of the Magnum for the bittering charge and using Conan Yeast. I yielded 6 gallons. I plan to keg carb 5 and bottle the remainder. I can wait to try this....

cavedave likes this.
  21. kjyost

kjyost Initiate (0) May 4, 2008 Canada (MB)

I'm glad you can wait. It takes at least an hour to keg carb! :stuck_out_tongue:

thatche2 likes this.
  22. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Illinois

Heading out to the garage to brew now.

NeroFiddled and inchrisin like this.
  23. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,904) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

After sampling a nice commercial IPA on Friday and reading these comments, I have a strong craving for hops. The APA IPA vaulted to the top of my to-brew list. Brew day is a couple weeks off yet, but I will be placing an ingredients order soon.

24. VikeMan

Society

Kegged and dry hopped this morning. Mine's definitely more fruity than pine. Also, only got about 78% attenuation, which seems a little low for 1056 and this grain bill/mash temp. But yeast will do what they do.

25. rmalinowski4

A piece of advice. When using this many hops, make sure to use a hop bag in the boil. I thought I had one but couldn't find it. I should of made the 1 hour round trip to the homebrew store to get one. Only got about 4 1/2 gallons into the fermenter because of all the hop particulate. Other than that, things went pretty smoothly for my first all grain attempt. My OG was a little low, around 1.060, but it was hard to get an accurate reading with all the hop particulate in the sample.

26. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,904) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Ingredients ordered from Farmhouse Brewing Supply. Anyone ever order from them? This was my first time - they look like a pretty nice outfit. It just worked out that this recipe was a little cheaper there than at MW or NB. Savings came by purchasing 4 oz bags of hops rather than 1 oz and because base malt was cheaper. The grain brands were a bit different from NB and MW; not as much of a selection but they have an eclectic mix of maltsers represented. I ended up using Canadian 2-row, Great Western C40, and Best Caramel Pils - none of which have ever been in my mash tun before. I thought about ordering from them in the past but they weren't carrying liquid yeast back then. Now they have Wyeast. However, I decided to go with US-05 on this one.

The one thing I didn't get was the magnum, as they didn't have it in 1 oz bags. I think I can pick it or a suitable substitute up at the LHBS - last time I looked, they had horizon and warrior, but not magnum.

27. hara94

hara94 Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2012 Minnesota

Yes I ordered the "pliny" pack from them, came quick and seemed very reasonably priced

pweis909 likes this.
  28. AlCaponeJunior

Society

I only yielded about the same amount, and didn't use hop bags.

29. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 California
    Deactivated

Very prompt shipping, good selection and good prices. I've ordered a couple pounds of hops from them on different occasions. I actually just bought a Rum Barrel from them that should be arriving later this week. My wife loves Firestone Sticky Monkee, so I'm brewing 40 gallons of english barleywine with Turbinado & amber candi sugar and aging it in Rum, Brandy and Bourbon barrels (all 10 gallons), then blending together to create a clone for her to drink after our first kid is born. Should be a fun project and produce enough beer to taste 1-2 a year for the next 21 years.

thatche2, udubdawg and pweis909 like this.
  30. brewsader

brewsader Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2012 New York

i'm brewing it with conan yeast cultured from a can of heady topper. still fermenting after about two weeks.

Naugled likes this.
  31. Naugled

Hey, so am I. My ferment is 3 days in, it still has a nice thick high karausen. Does yours still have the karausen after two weeks or has it fallen? I brewed a small test batch to build the yeast up first and I didn't get great attenuation. I'll have to check my notes, but I think it finished at 1.014.

32. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (454) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

What poll #28 the last poll? I'm having trouble finding the final recipe.

33. brewsader

brewsader Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2012 New York

yeah it's fallen a little bit but it's still going. my starter didnt ferment as well as i wouldve liked either so have faith.

34. VikeMan

Society

jlordi12 likes this.
  35. rmalinowski4

My batch is bubling away, the smell from my fermentation chamber is fantastic.
    I wanted to use a conan culture to brew this but I didn't get any Heady until late last week, no time to build a starter. However, I did take some second runnings to use to build one up for my next batch. I'm thinking of doing a pale, then an IPA, and then a DIPA by reusing the yeast cake from each previous batch.

36. Naugled

I took an SG reading last night and sampled. The SG was 1.015, OG was 1.064 on Saturday so 77% atten so far. I was surprised it was this far along, I thought I under pitched a bit. My FG target is 1.012. I also dry hopped last night as well. I like to DH with a few points to go.

The sample smelled and tasted great. I think this beer would be great even with out them. I got a lot of grapefruit, tropical fruit and peach in the flavor and nose, with very little to no pine.

I'll probably keg early to mid next week and it should be carbed by next saturday. A week ahead of schedule.

37. samtallica

Brewed this at the end of March. Seems to be about perfect today. 6ish weeks since brew day and 3ish weeks since packaging.

38. rmalinowski4

I am checking my batch tomorrow. If it is ready, I am going to keg it. I plan on dryhopping in the keg.

39. Naugled

Drew the first sample from the keg this weekend. I'm ready to ship. It's fresh and delicious and hard to drink just one.

40. AlCaponeJunior

Society

I was quite surprised and pleased at how good this recipe came out. I'm going to brew it again. It's a fine IPA.

I guess there's an exception to every rule, including the "mob mentality rule." I'm not suggesting we try it on a barleywine tho. :rolling_eyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.