The importance of glassware

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by _--TAD--_, Oct 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chinon01

Chinon01 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2007 Pennsylvania

The guy doesn't wanna look pretentious drinking from a tulip glass ON HIS BOAT:slight_smile:

2. Zimbo

Zimbo Savant (973) Aug 7, 2010 Scotland

It's important to have a wide range of glassware. I Just as long as you don't get too precious about how you use them. I

3. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Glassware is very important to me because I use the glass count to determine how many beers I've had.
    New beer = clean glass.

JimKal and beertunes like this.
  4. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,598) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Hey believe me, I know many wine drinkers who throw in ice cubes in their wine glasses!

to each their own :wink:

5. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,598) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Glassware can get out of hand if you let it, but you only really need about 4-5 types that really fit the boat, that's about what I use on a regular basis.

A large snifter for big stouts and barleywines
    A tappered glass for IPAs
    A tulip for any Belgians (I'll grab a chalice for quads but that's about it)
    A tall pilsner glass for lagers
    A tall wheat ale glass
    A Nonic for just about everything else

You could probably just even pair those glasses down to 3 or 2 if you really wanted. Also if you really like a particular style such as Kolsch or Hefe, get yourself a big curved tall wheat ale glass and a stange, you get the idea, but you don't have to. Also if I find I really REALLY like a beer from a brewery and they have a glass for that beer I tend to buy it, but geez I really do not need more glasses :confused: but then again I find beers I really like and thus... well you know the problem... :sunglasses:

Plus buy a few extra, cause if you are like me and a klutz, you'll break them and want extras around. :flushed:

djl9701, LeperJim and TongoRad like this.
  6. LeperJim

LeperJim Meyvn (1,041) Feb 10, 2008 Ohio
    Society

I forgot. Gotta use a Bavarian Weissbier glass for...the Weissbiers

7. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,840) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Those glasses also work surprisingly well with American IPAs and pilsner/helles beers- they focus the aromas quite nicely. For a while there I was using one as an all-purpose glass; it started out of laziness, but I quickly came to appreciate what it brought to the table.

LeperJim likes this.
  8. StLeasy

StLeasy Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Illinois

You can swirl in a pint glass with your palm on top (like you would a rocks glass).
    Nicer IMO because you have more control over the speed/intensity.

9. NWer

NWer Champion (809) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

Wine I swirl. It never occurred to me to swirl a beer and not about to start.
    Frosted glass is an obscenity. Can't imagine that either. Almost down there with fruit slices.

10. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (265) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

Check out my article on the science, history and aesthetic of using style-specific glassware in July-Aug. issue of Brew Your Own magazine.

LeperJim and StLeasy like this.
  11. StLeasy

StLeasy Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Illinois

I swirl my beer a bit if I haven't touched it in ~10 minutes or more (so rarely :stuck_out_tongue:). Can't say it even makes a difference flavor/aroma-wise, but it does put a bit more action (co2) in the mouthfeel.

I'm not much of a wine drinker, but I agree that some stuff (for me, whiskey) almost require swirling to get a good whiff.

12. lsummers

lsummers Zealot (543) Jun 21, 2010 California

I really like the marketing behind the glassware. It's definitely a thing in Belgium where every beer has it's own glass. Makes that specific beer you're having at that moment in time seem special. ... or as my girlfriend says "cheesetastic".

13. Mbennett

Mbennett Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2011 New York

Yes I appreciate the appearance and the aroma of a beer. But I feel like the minor improvements made from proper glassware are more so due to placebo than anything else. Don't get me wrong - I have a nice little collection of glassware, but I really don't pick up much of a difference over a normal pint glass unless I'm drinking a big stout or barley wine.

14. TheChiefBrews

TheChiefBrews Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2012 Georgia

can you provide a link?

15. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (265) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

Not available to non-subscribers, unfortunately.

16. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,183) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I think glassware is extremely important for special beers but not as crucial as most BAs would lead you to believe for your "regular" craft brew. Just my opinion.

17. USAF77

USAF77 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2013 Illinois

I use two different glasswares. A pint glass type for most, including my Pilsners and darks, and a weizen for my wheats. At a tavern I will probably go with a mug for Lagers. I love the look of my Pilsners in a pint style glass and for me the pint style allows me to savor the look and aroma of beer.

18. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (259) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Had Foolproof Backyahd IPA in a pint glass and it was very bitter. Had it in a tulip and it was less bitter thus more drinkable. So yeah glassware does matter.

19. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,568) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

It's more for fun IMO, I love good glass, it's fun, but a Tulip, and a Pilsner glass would be fine for everyday drinking. Still love the look of a nice Teku.

20. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,665) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Society Trader

IPAs and anything German out of a pint glass.. Anything Belgian out of a tulip.. If I have a glass from the brewery that made the beer I am drinking, I'll use that.. No idea why.. I'm just a douche like that.

21. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

i drink my ipas from the dogfish ipa glass...anything else goes in my snifter...i collect glasses but the only two i use are those

22. Kahless

Kahless Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2013 Kansas

I follow some pretty strict beer guidelines when it comes to glassware. I don't have much glassware but I have an example of almost every style of glass in the world. I guess I'm just a particular sort of person and it adds pleasure to the experience to have a beer in the "correct" glass.

23. Jayeblue24

Jayeblue24 Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2012 Idaho

I use a goblet like the ones Lil Jon carries around

24. mborden

mborden Initiate (198) Jan 28, 2009 New York

The word you're looking for is "MarkIntiharing"

25. silverking

silverking Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2012 Florida

My imperial stouts, double ipa's, barley wines and quads get a snifter. Belgian pales and triples get a tulip. Everything else lands in a pint glass.

26. planthopsjohn

planthopsjohn Initiate (51) Sep 16, 2013 California

I use different glasses for different styles of beer barly wines an stouts normaly in sniffters an ipas an lighter beer in pints

27. kpodolanko

kpodolanko Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2012 Texas

I poured Utopias into a pint glass...all the way to the top.

28. chickencoop

chickencoop Zealot (574) Jan 4, 2007 California

I pour everything into my "singled out" Miller Lite pint glass and it tastes magical.. but I have to say the 2 week old Pliny does taste a little pedestrian out of it.

29. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Devotee (435) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

Without smell you can't taste as much -- simple biological fact (I feel your pain, beertunes). I can't see ever preferring the bottle or can over glass, stein or cup. Not to say I'd refuse to drink, but I have amused people by trying to sniff through a longneck. Beyond that, variations on the shape of your glass (or whatever) probably makes more difference to your eye, and the marketer, than your palate. If you don't have snifter or tulip (my everyday choice) or whatnot, you can sniff then sip (as with whisky). I hadn't thought about swirling -- I do it with wine but it might release carbonation from beer, so I'll just have to try it and see -- but a bowl shape will be easier for that than something straight-sided or flared, which would force liquid up or out instead of around. Otherwise, for temperature control, I'd always go with a handle or stem, so you have the option of keeping your hand off OR on for warming. I wonder if the weissen, pilsen and others traditionally served without are expecting you to hurry up and drink, man! For British pints, the straight-sided clear glass is a relatively recent thing done for the convenience of the bar (and machine dishwashers); if a pub has handled jugs available at least on request, I take as a proxy for a place that cares. On the frosted mug controversy, well, it's better than hot glass out of the dishwasher.

30. Providence

Providence Crusader (712) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

I believe the experts when they talk about certain aromas being released by certain glass types and I also agree that the presentation of the beer is helped by the glassware; however, I don't remember ever having a beer in multiple glassware formats and enjoying one more than the other. I'm pretty much happy with whatever it's served in.

31. infuturity83

infuturity83 Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2009 Massachusetts

I essentially utilize 4 different glasses for all styles:

1) Sam Adams-designed Pint Glass: Awesome all-around glass. Great for IPA's and any beer that is light in body/high on hop aromas
    2) Snifter: Old Ales/Barleywines/Anything Barrel Aged
    3) Innis & Gunn glass (kinda looks like a short white wine glass): For dry/overly effervescent brews
    4) Standard Pint Glass: Stouts and Porters

32. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,196) Oct 11, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands
    Society Trader

It's up to you. Take a beer you like, pour some of it into a wine glass. Drink from the bottle/can, then drink from the wine glass. Look at the beer in the glass. Do you think adding the wine glass added anything to your enjoyment of the look/smell/taste of the beer? If the answer is "no," then you're set. If the answer was "yes," then try it again with another beer. If it works for you, you'll know.

I'm of the opinion that any beer worth drinking is worth drinking in a glass (unless social circumstances suggest otherwise), because I get additional enjoyment out of it that way. Which glass shape and whether it has the matching brand on it matter far less than whether you sense any extra value from drinking beer that way.

TL/DR: trust your senses and do what feels right for you, man.

33. dillon_1005

dillon_1005 Initiate (179) Oct 2, 2013 Wyoming
    Trader

How long can you go before you have to do the dishes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.