The Jazz Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by champ103, Apr 21, 2019.

1. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,541) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

Since there is a metal thread, I got to start one of these. While I respect metal, I never really got into it. "Jazz" as a style is so damn broad, it is hard to really categorize (the so called experts and people that review such things for various publications can't even decide on what really is jazz anymore). I won't try to define it, cause I can listen to anything from Earl Hines, Dinah Washington, or Wadada Leo Smith.

Currently I have been listening to the John Abercrombie, Dave Holland, and Jack Dejohnette trio from the late 70's ECM label.

I have been particularly obsessed with Allen Lowe's Blues and the Empirical Truth triple CD. Matthew Shipp is all over these recordings as well as Marc Ribot (excellent guitar player).
    http://allenlowe.com/blues-and-the-empirical-truth

Drinking a nice French Cider called Bouche Brut De Normandie, which is excellent.

[​IMG]

Who else is completely obsessed with anything related to jazz, and booze? Loving the new Off Topic threads already :slight_smile:

Harrison8, meefmoff, tolar111 and 4 others like this.
  2. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,656) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Great thread! Here's the classic Abercrombie tune as interpreted by one of my favorite groups:

riptorn, tolar111 and champ103 like this.
  3. Gajo74

Gajo74 Poo-Bah (2,276) Sep 14, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

4. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Savant (938) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio
    Society

Love that Gateway group! I was tempted to make the improv thread a jazz one except it's such an umbrella term that it includes a lot of things I don't listen to; but I'll hang out here when you make selections like the above.

LarryV, tolar111 and champ103 like this.
  5. Gajo74

Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Monk drinking beer. What beer is it?

6. Gajo74

Society Trader

7. CaptainHate

Society

Also from last night's listening

champ103 likes this.
  8. champ103

Society

I love Ivo Perelman and Matthew Shipp. Didn't know there was a live recording, and this is awesome. Essentially a live version of Oneness, a triple album they recorded a while back.

CaptainHate likes this.
  9. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,645) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I grew up as a drummer, and jazz drummers have always piqued my interests. Further, Kansas City is well known for its jazz culture in the 18th and Vine district/neighborhood. That said, I don't listen to it much, but I'm always happy to get recommendations.

Should anybody be planning a trip to KC, I'd be more than happy to offer up some jazz club recommendations. Heck, I may join you and finally visit some of these famous institutions.

TongoRad likes this.
  10. CaptainHate

Society

There are three more of these on YouTube; just search for their names and Brussels. Ivo sporadically floods the market with releases on the Leo label, many of them with Shipp. They're all of high quality but some are better than others. They're on Spotify too. Enjoy!

champ103 likes this.
  11. Gajo74

Society Trader

In no particular order:
    Elvin Jones
    Tony Williams
    Max Roach
    Art Blakey
    Roy Haynes
    Philly Joe Jones
    Jimmy Cobb
    Billy Higgins

I could go on for a while...just start with those.

12. TongoRad

Society Trader

Speaking of Max Roach @Harrison8 , I always thought he killed it on this track by Thelonious Monk:

13. Gajo74

Society Trader

Agreed! Max Roach also does some great work on the wonderful Thelonious Monk “Brilliant Corners” album.

14. CaptainHate

Society

Check out Max's drumming on this fave:

champ103, Harrison8 and TongoRad like this.
  15. Gajo74

Society Trader

Specifically, the track below “Bemsha Swing” Max Roach was playing around with some classical music timpani lying around the studio. He uses it to amazing effects here!

champ103 and TongoRad like this.
  16. CaptainHate

Society

When I read the biography of Monk a few years ago, I listened to every recording as the book talked about them. Of course all of them were worth hearing, being classics of the genre, but there was something about the raw urgency of the Prestige recordings, most of them first takes recorded in a rush, that set them apart.

champ103, Gajo74 and TongoRad like this.
  17. CaptainHate

Society

This is what I'm listening to now

champ103 likes this.
  18. Gajo74

Society Trader

Are you talking about the Monk biography by Robin D. Kelly? Amazing read!
    Speaking of Prestige, there is a series of classic Miles Davis Quintet recordings with titles such as “Cooking” Steaming” Relaxing” and “Workin”. Apparently they grinded out these albums in a few days because Miles Davis had just been signed by Columbia records but had to fulfill the number of completed albums for Prestige in order to be released from the contract. They say that in one of the outtakes that John Coltrane is heard saying “pass me the bottle opener”

#18 Gajo74, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    champ103, CaptainHate and TongoRad like this.
  19. champ103

Society

Some more Monk...

With Percy Heath and Art Blakey. Part of the Prestige album Work with Sonny Rollins. Part of the album is with the trio above, the other half is with Rollins. Recorded from 1953-54.

Of coarse there is his Blue Note records that are before that. Which was pretty much the basis for everything he did later on in his career. While everything with Monk's name on the record cover is amazing, he created his style with these early sides, often rerecording them later or rewriting them to fit a more "modern" setting for what ever was in at the moment, but always kept the connection with what he did originally.

Gajo74, TongoRad and CaptainHate like this.
  20. CaptainHate

Society

Yes, @Gajo74 , that biography, which I thought was important to get documentation of people who knew him while they were still alive. I particularly liked Steve Lacy's comments about how he wanted the horn players to stick to the melody, which explained Charlie Rouse's long tenure compared to Coltrane, Johnny Griffin and Rollins.

#20 CaptainHate, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Gajo74 and TongoRad like this.
  21. champ103

Society

Not only that, but he had already recorded with the same group the Round About Midnight album for Columbia (which was their last recording in studio, but the first to be released). Columbia made sure that that record was released first, then all the Prestige albums could come out, sneaky mega companies screwing over the little guys :slight_smile:

Gajo74 and CaptainHate like this.
  22. scream

scream Meyvn (1,158) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

Bill Evans, Art Tatum. Classic !

meefmoff, champ103 and TongoRad like this.
  23. TongoRad

Society Trader

Yeah, I was hooked as soon as I first heard some of those records. My HS buddy John brought home the Trios album one day, and we must've listened to it three or four times in a row, straight through. There was something about it that was unusual and idiosyncratic yet catchy and familiar at the same time; it immediately draws you in. Then came Monk's Music and we were off to the races...

I also really enjoyed a few of the tribute albums that came out later that decade. Monk in Motian manages to put forth a dreamy and ethereal take yet still remain true to the heart and soul of the music:

While Hal Wilner managed to get some incredible and varied performances out of a highly eclectic cast of characters, mostly rock musicians:

CaptainHate likes this.
  24. scream

scream Meyvn (1,158) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

There are 6 of these all worth hearing !!

25. CaptainHate

Society

This is what I'm listening to now:

26. CaptainHate

Society

I pretty much wore the grooves off of that double lp. Wilner did other tribute albums, including Charles Mingus, but one of his earliest was for Nino Rota, the guy who wrote the soundtracks for the spaghetti westerns that Clint Eastwood starred in. John Zorn took it one step further and got a lot of musicians from the lower east side, like Robert Quine, along with Hammond B3 guys like Big John Patton and came up with stuff like this

TongoRad likes this.
  27. CaptainHate

Society

I listened to this disc last year more than any other

champ103 likes this.
  28. champ103

Society

Everything here is great...but there is more to jazz than amazing improvisation. Like I posted in the most recent WBAYDN thread, Kat Edmonson is a great Houston singer (well she has now made it "big" in New York and is touring internationally). As big as a modern jazz vocalist will make it that is. I adore her newest album Old Fashioned Gal.

Her is a BBC live recording...

I have also been really into the Nancy Wilson/Cannonball Adderley album.

Of coarse Billy Holiday as well...this is one of her last recordings, and is just stunning.

I always get a chilling awe when listening to true jazz vocalists.

meefmoff, Gajo74 and TongoRad like this.
  29. Gajo74

Society Trader

This is the vocal album that speaks to me the most:

I’m a professional jazz pianist, and many of the Cole Porter songs I’ve learned come from this album.

TongoRad and champ103 like this.
  30. Gajo74

Society Trader

That didn’t work? How about this?

champ103 likes this.
  31. champ103

Society

@Gajo74 , yep, the Ella Fitzgerald Songbooks are among my favorites as well. The amount of absolute reverence for the originals and quality mixed with her own touch is out of this world.

While I love all the Songbooks, these are my favorites:

George and Ira Gershwin (I have all 4 originals that were released)
    Cole Porter, like you posted is fantastic
    Jerome Kern is a later release, but really underrated/or overlooked is the better term.

#31 champ103, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Gajo74 likes this.
  32. CaptainHate

Society

I saw this trio on the 15th and am listening to this now

champ103 likes this.
  33. champ103

Society

I got to meet Bubba Thomas at an event a few weeks ago, he is an incredible drummer that led The Lightmen. An early to late 70's group in Houston. He could have played with just about anybody after that, but decided to stay in Houston and teach in the poorer intercity neighborhoods.

Most of his albums from the 70's have been reissued on a small label over the last year, and these are quickly becoming favorites of mine. Very much in the Freddie Hubbard CTI label jazz era.

34. mickyge

mickyge Savant (948) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Years ago I had the pleasure of seeing Ella Fitzgerald accompanied by Joe Pass on the guitar. It was the best concert I’ve ever been to in over 50 years of seeing live music.

scream, mambossa and champ103 like this.
  35. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (393) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

Oh man where to begin. There’s never a bad time for Bill Evans, Robert Glasper Trio, Pharoah Sanders, Russell Malone, Vince Guaraldi and Bola Sete (hence my username). I mean just barely scratching the surface.

But this song is one of closest things to perfection in my eyes (or ears, rather). It’s just a lovely crescendo, short and sweet:

champ103 likes this.
  36. champ103

Society

Holy cow, check out Miles, Santana and friends in this mid 80's show (surprised this is the first Miles posted in the thread ha). The arena is complete packed.

Jlabs likes this.
  37. champ103

Society

Not going to let this one die out so easily...here are a few more that I really love.

Greg Osby is excellent, and this is a great live album. He just put down a mini-disc recorder on a stand in front of the band and they played.

Phil Woods and Enrico Pieranuzi did a great duet live album in the late 90's.

This is Woods' eulogy/tribute to Bill Evans he wrote.

TongoRad likes this.