The #MeToo Movement Is Coming To Craft Beer...Will It Arrive Before All The Women Leave?

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by PNW, Mar 6, 2020.

1. PNW

PNW Initiate (155) Dec 23, 2019 Washington
    Society Industry Trader

Just read this excellent article from Tara Nurin on Forbes about sexism in the beer industry. Progress is slowly being made, but the beer world still has a long way to go before it's considered a fully welcoming and safe place for women. Dudes, we have the chance to help transform the beer culture and be a part of the solution. Be an ally, treat women like you'd want to be treated yourself, consider their perspectives, talk about and support them, and of course don't f'ing ask to see their damn tits. :poop:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/taranu...r--will-it-arrive-before-all-the-women-leave/

2. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,174) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

It's everywhere. Why would craft beer be immune?

3. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (412) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

Not saying it doesn't happen - OF COURSE it does, but IME, craft beer is generally more accepting of women and POC than many other hobbies I'm into.

4. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,167) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Industry Trader

5. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,534) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

What a trash article.

taylordane, oberon and Hoppsbabo like this.
  6. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,019) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Society Trader

How so?

BuffaloBill12, sharpski and FBarber like this.
  7. PNW

Society Industry Trader

I’m sure it does seem that way to you, but I’m guessing you aren’t a POC or a woman so maybe we should listen to what they’re saying.

8. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,247) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

what are the other hobbies?

9. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,970) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I find it interesting that it appears that some women (including the author of the piece) seem to prefer the term gender-specific "brewster" for women brewers, kind of in opposition to the decades long movement to make job titles gender-neutral. I understand the need and desire for solidarity among any minority group within a larger community, just find it unusual.

Some entomology sites suggest that "brewster" as used centuries ago did not necessarily only refer to women in the trade:
    and that the suffix "ster" was and is not always gender-specific, and is still found today in terms such as "hipster" and, even within the brewing industry -"maltster".

In the '60s, I knew a young woman in college taking chemistry courses whose father worked at Pabst and he (or she? I forget) used the term "brewmistress" for a female brewmaster. But, I guess, that one brings some other cultural baggage with it - altho', conversely, I gotta admit, when I hear or read "brewster" I think of this guy - "Brewster, the Goebel Rooster" (who, it should go without saying, was male :grin:).

Well, as I noted above, I came of age during the '60s during an earlier era of feminism (which, at times, could clash with other 60s cultural beliefs regarding dress and image, etc) but when I read this warning and then look at the two photos of that "beer influencer" (yeah, it's already a cliche but I gotta add - :rolling_eyes: ), my first thought was, "It appears you don't have to ask....".

Sure, people can dress anyway they want to but, unfair or wrong as it might be to judge someone's image, you've also got to expect the stereotypical "male" reaction to it. (I'd think there are a whole lot of women who'd also raise an eyebrow at those shots given the topic...)

cavedave, rgordon, Premo88 and 6 others like this.
  10. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Initiate (139) Nov 6, 2010 Monaco
    Trader

Yes to all of this.

However, while the golden rule is great, the platinum rule might be even more appropriate here: Treat others as they would like to be treated.

11. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,367) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Let's be honest here. That beer influencer knows exactly what she's doing. We can't sit here and pretend her influence has anything other than to do with her image. I found that article to be ironic as f*ck. Cheers.

12. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, but I also have to wonder why the author - or more likely the editor at Forbes? - chose to have two pictures of the "influencer" to illustrate an article that only briefly mentions her, 3/4's of the way through the article.

I mean, I find that pic of her in the pool absolutely disgusting!
    "Who in their right mind DOES that!?"
    But, then, that's always my reaction to photos of beer exposed to bright sunlight :grin:.

13. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,491) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Glass in a swimming pool? If it breaks the pool has to be drained, and the pool cleaned. Not good practice.

14. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,168) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I did find it interesting that the author even said that she's been critical of the "beer influencer" scene and the often overt sexual tones of these influencers ... not that that is anything unique in beer advertising (because lets be honest, all these influencers are is a form of beer advertising).

JayWhitson likes this.
  15. PNW

Society Industry Trader

What exactly is ironic? Did you actually read the article? Just because a woman has cleavage, and chooses to show that cleavage, that doesn't mean she should be open to being sexually harassed by men, especially coworkers. Here's a crazy thought, women can be smart and have boobs too. Grow up, dude.

jcos, distantmantra, thebeers and 8 others like this.
  16. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,359) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Do that a public place, guess who gets the bill?

17. nc41

Society Trader

I love a good social warrior.

tolar111 likes this.
  18. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,367) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Excuse me? Yes, I read the article. Cheers.

pinyin likes this.
  19. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (2,377) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire
    Society

A large percentage of craft beer drinkers are fat neckbeards (like myself) so this isn't surprising.

20. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Crusader (760) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Trader

I think part of what he was referencing is that Instagram is a primarily visual medium.

21. nc41

Society Trader

This stuff is always directed at men, but women in general couldn’t possibly be a part of the problem too right? Nah..

22. JayWhitson

Trader

I wasn’t trying to point fingers at anyone. Just pointing out the irony that Hunter was referencing.

nc41 likes this.
  23. nc41

Society Trader

I understand, I probably shouldn’t have quoted you there, I just piggybacked it. But my point stand separate from that, I think it’s valid that women are very critical of other women. Especially one who pointing a finger at someone or anyone while wearing anything close to provocative. It’s always a man that’s a pig, but that’s certainly not true, but it’s where that article points. People being people I’m sure both might be true to some degree.

TrojanRB likes this.
  24. sharpski

Society Industry Trader

Sure, she can be knowledgeable about beer and have boobs. I don’t think anyone would argue that the addition of sex to her beer photos is unintentional, though. So it seems strange to take an article arguing that women should be taken seriously as industry professionals and include not one but two photos of an industry professional who chooses to make her body a significant part of her persona. Lots of other women in the industry who are more consistent with the article text who did not get featured. But the editor wants clicks, even if the images seem to undercut the author’s message.

25. JayWhitson

Trader

I see your point. Look at the magazines at the store (while they still exist in this digital world). Who is traditionally on the cover of both Playboy and Cosmopolitan?

26. brandnewcardock

brandnewcardock Initiate (86) Aug 23, 2017 New York
    Trader

I love that anytime there's a thread about this topic the same group of guys crack their knuckles and proudly rush to share they're very enlightened opinions.

[​IMG]

#26 brandnewcardock, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  27. BirdsandHops

BirdsandHops Poo-Bah (2,698) Apr 14, 2008 Oregon
    Society

Wait, what do insects have to do with this? :wink:

People who can't distinguish between entomology and etymology bug me in ways that I can't put into words.

28. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (776) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

There are more women in craft beer jobs and consuming craft beer than ever before. I think they'll be okay. If men don't turn women off from men, then I can't see men turning women off of craft beer.

29. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,552) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Yes, but apparently you didn't have the correct reaction or response when you read it. That's key when it comes to reading this type of article.

(and yes, there might be a touch of sarcasm in my comment)

Roguer, sharpski, JayWhitson and 4 others like this.
  30. jesskidden

Society Trader

:astonished: What bugs me when people rely on Spellcheck, too.
    Even more so when I'm the one who did it....
    (but I guess the fact that I linked to https://www.etymonline.com/ means something).

31. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Champion (890) Jan 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)
    Trader

BirdsandHops
    Your username takes on a whole new meaning in British English :-D

32. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,936) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Not sure about the rest of the country but the breweries around me and pubs etc. are packed with women. Any time I hit up my local places its a fantastic mix of all people for the most part and I am happy to see it.

33. nc41

Society Trader

I bet Red Oak is close to 50/50. Sometimes there’s more women here than men, and they come in groups too, and it’s a place run by mostly women outside of the head brewer. How many brewers they have I haven’t a clue. But they do allow dogs, and they have food trucks etc, a huge outdoor sitting area, real nice place imo.

34. skelliott

skelliott Initiate (76) Jul 2, 2013 California

LOL @ "the addition of sex to her beer photos." A woman takes a picture of herself next to a beer and suddenly she's using sex for attention? Do you think the same thing when you see a picture of a man with a beer? Just because you're attracted to breasts doesn't mean she's putting them out there for you to gawk at. They are literally just a part of her body.

35. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,936) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

That's awesome! I love the diversity here in AZ. The breweries are a great time, loads of people from all walks of life, women all over, dogs, kids, etc. I always have a fantastic time when out and meet some amazing people who are just good people. I hope its spreading across the country more and more because in my eyes it makes for a better experience. I love seeing groups of women come in ordering flights and stouts, etc. It's cool to see how the love of beer is just not a guy thing anymore. Times have sure changed from the old days at the bar with my buddies smoking cigarettes and drinking in some dim lit crap hole.
    Cheers

nc41 likes this.
  36. sharpski

Society Industry Trader

Dude, you’re really trying to defend that her photos are just “a picture of herself next to a beer”? We could debate elements of her photo composition, but on the most basic level she posts some pictures of herself without beer but no photos of beer without herself. Her body is in more of her beer photos than beer is, so please drop the argument that she’s not intentionally making her body a significant element of the photos.

I’m not saying she can’t/shouldn’t do it, just that hers is not the best example to use in an article arguing men should stop treating women in the industry as sexual objects.

#36 sharpski, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  37. JayWhitson

Trader

It really wasn’t in the same vein as the rest of the serious article detailing criminal behavior.

38. skelliott

skelliott Initiate (76) Jul 2, 2013 California

I'm not denying that her body is in these photos. My point is that her body is not inherently sexual, it is simply her body. The fact that she has breasts and they are a visible part of her body does not mean that she is intentionally introducing sex into her beer photos.

On that point this is a very good example of how men should stop treating women in the industry (and in general) as sex objects. Unless you'd rather just keep blaming her for being sexually harassed.

39. JayWhitson

Trader

I don't believe she was the one being sexually harassed. She was facing blowback from the rest of the women who wanted to be taken seriously as brewers and members of the craft beer community, while not posing with beer in their hands in swimsuits.

Not that I believe their is anything wrong with what she is doing. But as far as I’ve read Instagram influencers make money off how many followers they have. And I did read her reviews and don’t believe that’s why she has that many.

beertunes and sharpski like this.
  40. nc41

Society Trader

The old time bars I grew up in were shit holes for the most part, funny no TVs then unliked now, guys huddled over their beer and maybe a shot of cheap whiskey like Fleishmans or Calvert, .50 Cents for both. Places like Red Oak and Resident Culture are definitely everyone friendly, as are most of the craft beer bars I’ve been in as well. Those old Smokey rum dum bars went the way of the dodo bird, there’s just better places that appeal to everyone and you don't need a gun to get in or out.

beertunes and AZBeerDude72 like this.