Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

the most 'dank' hops?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Jefeipa, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jefeipa

Jefeipa Initiate (0) May 6, 2009 Arizona

I going to brew a IPA for some friends and they want a really dank IPA. I was wondering what are the dankest hops? I know columbus and summit but what else. I'm going to do a basic IPA malt base with chico yeast strain I think.

2. JebediahScooter

JebediahScooter Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2010 Vermont

I got some good dankness from Chinook.

3. billandsuz

billandsuz Disciple (308) Sep 1, 2004 New York

help me out. "Dank" is not in any of my brewing texts and i'm not hip.

describe the characteristics of dank hops.
    Thanks.

pweis909, bigolwilly and NiceFly like this.
  4. jivex5k

jivex5k Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Florida

Simcoe comes to my mind immediately.
    Dank is like planty or green tasting if that makes sense.
    Think of good marijuana.

ballsofrock likes this.
  5. JebediahScooter

I think of dankness as resinous, earthy, piney, weed-like, etc. You know, "Who's got my heady, dank nugs?"

6. JimmyTango

JimmyTango Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2011 California

I dont think of Simcoe as really all that dank. Piney, sometimes (my last beer with Simcoe was more like pineapple), but pine does not equal dank to my tastes. Even Chinook, although quite woody, is pretty "warm" IMO.

I think of dank as more of a "dark", resionous character. Columbus, Centennial (large quantities), and Cascade (20min boil + or DH) are the hops that I have experience with that I would call Dank.

Barfdigs (sp?) offered up Galaxy and Apollo as "dank monsters" in an earlier thread.

7. jlpred55

jlpred55 Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2006 Iowa

To my tastes mixing heavy doses of Centennial and Columbus is where it is at. One beer that comes to mind that is commercially available is Modus Hopperandi- dank monster and it uses heavy doses of Columbus at the end and dry hop. Jimmy Tango is spot on IMO

Mongrel likes this.
  8. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 California

Apollo, Summit, Columbus and Galaxy (Galaxy very resinous, less earthy than others).

Hopopotamus53 likes this.
  9. mattsander

mattsander Zealot (554) Feb 3, 2010 Alberta (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Columbus, Apollo

10. BushDoctor

BushDoctor Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2007 New York

I think a large dry hop of an american variety would give you the dankness you are looking for.

11. OldSock

OldSock Defender (655) Apr 3, 2005 District of Columbia

12. jlpred55

jlpred55 Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2006 Iowa

Ya know that brings Nelson Sauvin back to me. I had a beer from Toppling Goliath called Zeelander IPA and it was all Nelson and it was dank as hell.

13. koopa

koopa Poo-Bah (1,825) Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Nelson Sauvin comes off to me like grape skins. I wouldn't consider it dank in the slightest based on my experience with it.

14. OldSock

I do get melon from it sometimes, but it still has a distinct resiny/dank flavor to me as well. Great thing about taste, different people sense things differently.

15. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,456) Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

citra, simcoe, summit. the usual C hops to some degree, but less so than those three. (perhaps this is just my opinion)

nelson sauvin a bit, but it has more of a melon/pineapple thing, as well as a strong cheesiness if you go overboard with it. nelson sauvin makes anchor humming ale great, and makes sam adams absurd griffin's bow barleywine undrinkable.

16. cracker

cracker Disciple (300) May 2, 2004 Pennsylvania

Hmm...I see many above mentioned Columbus hops. Now I know why I'm not a huge fan and I still have nearly 15oz of this stuff left! Going to stick to amarillo, centennial, simcoe, citra, nugget for my hops fix in terms of IPA brewing from now on.

17. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,057) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

I recently had an IPA from Hill Farmstead called Harlan. I am typically a HUGE fan of Hill Farmstead beers but there was something about Harlan that just didn’t ‘compute’. Afterwards I went to the Hill Farmstead website to read:

“Harlan IPA

Harlan is Edward’s slightly more aggressive alter-ego. Dry Hopped exclusively with Columbus hops.”

Yup, I am simply not a fan of Columbus hops (at least via dry hop).

Cheers!

18. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (713) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Dank = dungeon filled with fresh picked CTZ (Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus) hops @ 100% humidity during zombie apocalypse...good luck with everything other than the CTZs.

CTZs seem to thrive on crystal malt, other hops, and human brains : )

runbirddrinkbeer, sdenue57 and koopa like this.
  19. koopa

Beer Trader

FWIW Good herb (most strains) lacks citrus qualities so I completely disagree with your recommendation for citra and c hops. No offense intended, just sayin....

20. JebediahScooter

If the CTZ's are smoking a fattie to wait out the apocalypse, then this is the perfect description of dank.

sdenue57 and GreenKrusty101 like this.
  21. Spider889

Spider889 Savant (981) Mar 24, 2010 Ohio
    Industry Beer Trader

So long as you don't misconstrue dank as only = marijuana, I too vote for Simcoe. Dry-hopped Simcoe can be really moist and pungent - deliciously dank...

22. Pahn

Beer Trader

post doesn't make sense... who cares what weed doesn't smell like? citra smells like a lot more than citrus. of course there's elements of any kind of hop and of weed that don't overlap. the question is what does overlap...

23. koopa

Beer Trader

Post makes plenty of sense to a majority of readers, but perhaps not to you. It's a shame you can't just roll with our difference of opinions and rather feel a compulsion to vehemently negate my claim in a much less diplomatic way than I did with regard to yours. The OP asked what smells dank and dank is commonly associated with herb and/or resinous qualities, hence hops that smell nothing like herb or aren't resinous fail to be dank based on the common interpretation of the word. That's basic deductive reasoning. Citra smells like a combination between citrus and catty qualities (imagine clothes the day after a cat pissed on them),neither of which are dank or resinous in my experience (one well versed with herbs, brewing with citra, and drinking commercial examples that feature citra) FWIW. Certain strains like Orange Bud and Black Domina are citrus like, but again they are the exception to the rule. As for musty-ness (which I concede citra demonstrates depending on which hop farm it is sourced from and how it is utilized in the brewing process), loads of wild ales are musty and nobody refers to them as dank. So I remain committed to the idea that citra doesn't overlap with dank.

I've laid my cards out in a descriptive and respectful fashion. I look forward to your detailed reply mapping out exactly what qualities citra manifests that directly overlap with your interpretation of the word dank.

6470zzy likes this.
  24. Pahn

Beer Trader

i think citra smells like citrus, tropical fruits, and dank weed.

also, i was educating you that "weed doesn't smell like citrus," is not a refutation of "citra smells like citrus, tropical fruits, and dank weed." if the majority of readers need the same education, so be it (though i doubt that's the case).

edit: i'm guessing from the emotion of your post that you won't actually do this, but for your own benefit: read your post to me. note that it says "herb doesn't smell like citrus, so i completely disagree with your [post]." the implication is that if X smells like citrus, X does not smell like herb. this is not the case, for things can have more than one aroma (or more than one appropriate descriptor).

there is, literally, no hop that shares every flavor/aroma descriptor with weed. so too with grapefruit, cat pee, pine, etc etc etc. the more you know.

25. koopa

Beer Trader

I can appreciate that my initial argument reads that citra smells like citrus and musty cat piss, neither of which smell like herb. But it should be quite obvious that my argument suggests that citra doesn't contain any additional olfactory qualities in addition to citrus and cat piss that smell like herb. If I believed it did, then I would have clearly stated that "other than the citrus and musty characteristics, citra also displays herbal qualities so I agree with you". P.S. I'm still looking forward to your detailed description outlining what qualities dank herbs share with citra. Not saying you don't have one, just saying you haven't presented one for me to contemplate yet. Now I have had herbs that smell cheesy, there is even a strain called cheese which is a rare skunk #1 phenotype developed in Britain and smuggled to Amsterdam circa 2005. It has also been crossed with a blueberry indica strain to produce the infamous "Blue Cheese" strain. But you will note that I only refuted your claim that "C Hops" are dank.

26. Pahn

Beer Trader

but there's no reason to say "weed doesn't smell like citrus, so citra [which smells like citrus, among other things] doesn't smell like weed." which is what i pointed out.

as for whether citra is "dank" or not, i won't be arguing that. it reminds me of different pungent bags of marijuana i've smelled, and that's that. if i have a crazy nose that smells "wrongly," that's too bad for the reader... what am i supposed to do about that? there is no arguing such things. if no one else agrees with me, most likely the OP won't either. to be honest, it doesn't matter to me (much like whether or not you agree about the aroma).

27. koopa

Beer Trader

My reason for refuting citra as a dank hop is quite clear. I qualify dank as resembling resinous marijuana and resinous marijuana rarely contains citrus qualities. If I thought citra had resinous marijuana like qualities in addition to the citrus / musty qualities that I pick up from it, I wouldn't have argued that citra isn't dank.

Furthermore, the OP asked about "dank smelling hops" not "marijuana smelling hops" so if you are now saying you won't be arguing that citra smells dank, then I once again have absolutely no idea why you recommended citra hops as a response to the OP's original question. Since I do equate dank with marijuana like (herbal and resinous) and feel that citra lacks those specific qualities, I make the argument that citra is not dank.

28. evantwomey

evantwomey Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2008 North Carolina

Timely post for me. I'm just gearing up to brew a 'dank' IPA. I've read Nugget is also a good dank hop but I've never used it myself. My plan is a mix of Columbus, Nugget, and Chinook. Anyone have experience with Nugget?

29. acurtis

acurtis Poo-Bah (2,404) Sep 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

dank has become more of a blanket term for good budd but really dank budd would be more dark, thick, moist and musky than is floating around. Sort of like the corner of your wet basement.

30. oregone

oregone Disciple (357) Jul 2, 2008 Oregon

Yeah. That'll make you a dank IPA for sure. Made a DIPA with the same blend recently. Whoah. I would suggest a clean bittering hop as all of those can be aggressive and don't need aggressive buttering hop push. For the record, I used chinook to bitter and it was a bit much.

31. NiceFly

NiceFly Aspirant (275) Dec 22, 2011 Tajikistan

I have tried Nugget single hop IPA before I do not think nugget is "dank". It is pretty subtle actually, with some cocoanut. I would have to go look at my notes for other descriptions.

32. Pahn

Beer Trader

nugget is one of those hops where if you take a handful and sniff it deeply, it's got some "dank/pungent" qualities, but good luck ever finding them in the finished beer. "subtle" is the first word that pops into my mind for that one (besides "bittering").

33. kaips1

kaips1 Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2011 Kentucky

simcoe citra and chinook will provide awesome dankness

34. koopa

Beer Trader

Hey I just want to apologize for my posts in this thread last night. I was buzzed at the time (no excuse but definitely a factor) and being highly opinionated. I certainly tried to remain respectful in tone and word choice, was not trying to troll or threadshit in any way whatsoever, but I'd still like to apologize just in case I offended anybody.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  35. Pahn

Beer Trader

i also apologize; should have brought "arguing about whether a hop is dank" to private messages to begin with, or posted my initial response in a less hostile way (ie "your post doesn't make sense").

jbakajust1 likes this.
  36. telejunkie

telejunkie Disciple (320) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

Hope that fund raising is going well and that you guys are starting to hone in on Southern VT/Albany, NY area for Modern Times :wink: Gobs of tourists, a city of over a million & no really legit breweries...
    I'll be another vote for Columbus (maybe 75%) mixed in with something like Centennial at 25%. I've tried apollo once and agree it had a bit of dank qualities to it.

37. OldSock

Sadly San Diego is locked in, lots of great craft beer drinkers, but plenty of excellent breweries in the area as well.

38. Naugled

Naugled Crusader (737) Sep 25, 2007 New York
    Subscriber

I've experienced 'dankness' with Nugget, but only when used other other hops. I used a combo of Nugget/Warrior/Columbus in my last IPA, Nugget being the predominant hop and a high portion of the IBU's were the the 20min or less range, it was very dank and earthy, not what I was going for, but happy with it.

I think the nugget will help with the dankness in your mix.

I've also gotten the coconut from Nugget described by someone else as well, but only in golden ales. I don't get coconut if the beer contains darker crystal malts above about 10% of bill.

Cheers

39. 311kevin

311kevin Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2011 New Jersey

Columbus/Centennial/Cascade and Galaxy have imparted some nice levels of "dank"ness to my beers.

40. dasenebler

dasenebler Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2008 Maine

A lot of people are recommending Centennial and I really don't understand it. Centennial is not very "dank" in my opinion. It has some earthy, resinous notes but mainly imparts a fruity and juicy character to the beers I've brewed.

Citra definitely has a dank, funky component amidst all the tropical fruit. And all of the classic "pungent" hops would apply as well: Nugget, Summit, Columbus, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.