The most fun you've had whilst drinking, and what specific beer(s) got you there?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jaketodd, Oct 24, 2017.

1. KingCobra686

KingCobra686 Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Connecticut

Chugging King Cobra 40's in college with my roommates and a bunch of other friends.

About once a week junior and senior year we would have a Cobra chugging contest. We had scoreboards tracking all the fastest chugs and the current champions. The top scores were written on the wall of one of our apartments, surrounded by all the labels from all the 40's drank at that location. My best time was about 3 min 30 seconds. The fastest was someone else, with 61 seconds. We had a lot of rules about the specific strategies and methods that you were allowed to use in your chug. It was very competitive and a lot of fun, and fairly cheap considering that Cobra 40's were a little over $2 and would cover you for a good amount of the night when you chugged them like that.

2. zid

zid Champion (898) Feb 15, 2010 New York

I don't like people, places, or time... I only like beer.

3. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,010) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

Welcome to the Curmudgeon Club. We accept Master Card, Visa and American Express. No personal checks please.

HoppingMadMonk and zid like this.
  4. marquis

marquis Crusader (759) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

About 35 or 40 years ago I went on a brewery trip to Shipstone's in Nottingham.
    We were greeted on arrival and went on the usual tour with an enthusisatic guide.Then we arrived at the hospitality room which was the reconstructed interior of the old Dolphin inn.
    There was a great table laden with food of every description from sides of beef downwards.
    We were each given a pint glass and invited to help ourselves from the dozen casks set up - 6 of mild and 6 of bitter , all of diferent brew days.
    We were invited to stay as long as we wanted, the brewers and directors joined us.
    I stayed till quite late, I can vaguely remember my wife picking me up a few miles off the route home. But a great beer day :slight_smile:
    Incidentally, there was no charge for any of the party who were invited.
    Perhaps these days a choice of just 2 beers seems thin. But session beers like those are so good that once you start them you don't want anything else. They taste better the more you drink of them.
    It is a pity that the term "session beer" is so misunderstood and misused.That day was a definition of the term.

rgordon, zid, chipawayboy and 2 others like this.
  5. darklord2011

darklord2011 Initiate (146) Nov 18, 2011 Indiana

Dark Lord Day 2011 (hence the logo). Hungout at the brewery in line for a couple hours drinking and sharing various craft beers with others in line. Picked up our allocation, checked out the heavy metal band they had playing in the production room, tried various 3F's beers (first time I had Zombie Dust, etc.), left the event completely hammered. Went back to our hotel to drop off our allocation. Found the best steakhouse in town. Went to a strip club. End of story. Good time for sure!

This event definitely took me from a casual craft beer fan and moved me to geek status.

6. SteveSexton203

SteveSexton203 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut

Irish Kevins in Key West and just regular old Draft beer

7. 1stand3rd

1stand3rd Initiate (68) Mar 13, 2009 New Jersey

I was at Neighborhood while on vacation in San Diego when I received a phone call from HR at my work offering a promotion on a position I bid on.
    Spent more that a few hours there celebrating and enjoying the daily offering of SD area IPAs.

8. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,285) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I don't know if this was the most fun, but I certainly had a hell of a time one night hanging out with Don Younger (then owner of the Horse Brass Pub). I don't know what we were drinking, or even where we were at (it wasn't the Horse Brass) but we had a great time. Now I'm all teared up - I miss that old bastard and I hardly even knew him!

9. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (444) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts

Any one of a dozen sessions at the Wenlock Arms in London w/my UK crawl friends drinking cask from the handpulls, eating toasted cheese sandwiches, playing cribbage, and chatting w/the locals -- and sometimes listening to live Jazz. I saw somewhere someone called the Wenlock the "Student Union of Life" -- and I couldn't agree more. It's changed a lot over the last 14 years that I've been going there -- luckily it has survived and is currently thriving.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  10. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (834) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

You guys got time for another one?

2009 Barleywine Dinner @ Falling Rock in Denver.

If you ever wondered, pre-gaming for a barleywine dinner is less than a good idea. I made the mistake of getting there early and having a couple pints upstairs before preceding downstairs for the festivities. Had a great time listening to Chris Black talk about the vintage beers and eating and drinking with friends while there, especially since I knew one of the waitresses and she kept bringing us more lamb "lollipops".

Great time so far, right? Just wait.

T'was freezing ass cold when I left (I think it was in January) and I was drunk. Not falling down drunk, but close enough. I mean, it WAS a barleywine dinner, after all. What'd you expect? I took the light-rail downtown, so I was stuck on the platform until the next train got there. After waiting a while, I said "fuck it, it's too cold for this shit" and just got on the next train hoping it would, at the very least, warm me up and maybe get me going in the right direction. It did the first part of its job, but the second part was a failure of epic proportions. Not only did it take me in the opposite direction that I needed to go, but once the train got to the end of the line, it went off duty. No trains going back into the city until the next day. I get off the train as instructed. It's too late to call anyone, so that's out. Panic-stricken, I look around. There's a parking garage right off the light rail. Maybe there's somewhere warm to stay in there until tomorrow morning? Luckily for me, there was. Slept in the parking garage, woke up the next day still drunk, got on the light-rail, and home I went.

All in all, a successful evening in my book. Fun drunken time and a neat story about me sleeping in a parking garage. Mission accomplished.

zid and chipawayboy like this.
  11. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (444) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts

Another one here too. April Fools Day 2014 at he Lord Hobo in Cambridge MA. Anybody else out there experience that ? Maybe the greatest collection great American craft beers in one place at one time up until that day in history.

12. rgordon

rgordon Champion (851) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Me too, but people keep taking me to cool places all of the time.

woodchipper and zid like this.
  13. CASK1

CASK1 Aspirant (285) Jan 7, 2010 Florida

Hamms. Grew up in SE PA. When my high school buddies and I were seniors, the drinking age in PA was 21, but Maryland was still 18 (yeah, I'm old). We would fill my Dad's Chrysler station wagon with friends, cross the border and buy a case of Hamms, and drive to Hopkins Crab House, a dive crab shack on the shore of the Chesapeake Bay. They served boiled crabs in the cardboard base of a beer/soda case, along with a wooden mallet and a plastic knife, and a stack of newspaper. We'd drink beer, eat crabs, and play frisbee on the shore of the bay. Very fond memories - thanks for the OP.

14. Beerbadger55

Beerbadger55 Initiate (40) Aug 29, 2017 Wisconsin

Jimmy Buffet concert at Alpine Valley-East Troy WI in mid-August 2014. My wife and I brought our teenaged daughters for their first JB show, we tailgated all afternoon and saw all kinds of fun people in the parking lot. The show was epic as usual-my kids said it was a life changing event! Drank Landshark and margaritas all day-not the best beer but it was ice cold and going down easy. Needless to say, I didn't drive home!

15. woodchipper

woodchipper Savant (979) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Premium

My post exactly.

16. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (446) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

My standouts have been:

Oktoberfest - 200th Anniversary
    Bull Gap at night
    Prague nightclubs
    Hvar Island nightclubs
    DLD
    Any night doing Cardinal Puff
    My 21st birthday

but it was the friends with me each time that made it great.

17. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Zealot (503) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

My great gam gam asked my brother and I to take my grandfathers ashes back to the family resting place in Germany. It was right around Octoberfest! We got there had a few and met the family lawyer who took us to this underground drinking competition. It was nation vs nation like the olympics. Our cousins were basically the German team. Let's just say there was some family baggage and they were none too happy to see us. We got our asses kicked in a chugging competition, they even gave my brother a black eye. We made a vow to restore our side of the family's honor. We put together a great drinking team made up us the best beer drinkers we had ever known. We spent the next year becoming savage chuggers, the best at quarters, the best a thumper, the best damn drinking team in the world. We want back, we represented the USA with pride!!! we fucking won!!!

zid likes this.
  18. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,332) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

I was into craft beer in college, and always had an impressive dorm fridge, the foreign girls always complained about shitty beer at parties. I'll let y'all put the pieces together.

19. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,236) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

Most recently, GABF, several ba stout samples, 6 oz of utopias, and a great train ride home. Had a goddamned great night.