The Most Impressive Beer in New England

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by AlcahueteJ, Feb 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdinardo21

cdinardo21 Initiate (133) Oct 29, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I have a friend that mules me back Trillium all the time because he stays by the Fort Point location for work maybe 4x a year.

I had to tell him about Vitamin Sea like 2 months ago. It's definitely not the case.

AlcahueteJ and TheOneTC like this.
  2. davlo

davlo Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2020 Rhode Island

Ah! Put me in that group of folks. I think Tilted Barn makes some of the best beer in NE.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  3. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (153) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

yeah +1. If I were a great brewer and someone called me the Eric Clapton of brewing, I'd take it as a grave insult.

followerofmen and TheOneTC like this.
  4. Takeanotherswing

Takeanotherswing Initiate (123) Jan 14, 2011 New York
    Trader

Ok. We’re talking New England here in this post right?, not nationally. Also I said 10-15 yrs, you’re definitely doing what you can to debate in your favor. We were talking about impressive from past to now. Not from now to unknown future.

BigStein88 likes this.
  5. Dukies222001

Dukies222001 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2016 New Hampshire

100% only been once but I was very impressed with their offerings. Wish it was closer.

davlo likes this.
  6. BigStein88

BigStein88 Disciple (309) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire
    Trader

And this may be the whole problem, the title of the thread uses "impressive", which, by definition, will be different to different people based on the style of beer and individual taste. His actual post uses "crowning achievement", which will be different to different people based on the style of beer and individual taste...wait...it seems that both will be a difficult thing to agree on.

I do have to argue the point that IPA's do not go well with seafood. A well made IPA goes well with everything!

matthewp, AlcahueteJ and jhavs like this.
  7. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (2,052) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

As an individual who believes that seafood goes best with a dumpster, I will defer to your unwavering expertise.

BigStein88 and Justin42 like this.
  8. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,058) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

The thread title should be:

“What is the beer that is synonymous with New England, that is commercially successful, that provides money to the brewery to pursue more creative stuff, that is enjoyed by beer nerds and lay folk alike, that is at or near the top of its style, that’s been brewed for multiple decades, and that goes well with seafood”

that would have kept things simpler

9. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (504) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

This is a great thread.

Perhaps we can solve the semantics problem by all agreeing to give Allagash White the 1st Annual AlcahueteJ Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence.

10. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (2,264) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Field of Impressiveness!

rhino88888888, rozzom and meefmoff like this.
  11. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (504) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Damn it I should have caught that!

12. YourDigitalGrave

YourDigitalGrave Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2019 Massachusetts

I certainly wouldn't say that is likely.

Stormfield likes this.
  13. Stormfield

Stormfield Aspirant (229) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

I plan to avoid any beer, as long as I live, brewed by an operation called “Vitamin Sea”. It is the only brewery name that I have ever heard that I think is genuinely terrible.
    I can say that ‘Vitamin Sea’ is the least impressive brewery name in New England. Never had the beer, hate the name.

14. YourDigitalGrave

I don't think that is reason enough to avoid the beer. Maybe just skip the merch.

matts2896, AlcahueteJ and Rysk22 like this.
  15. Stormfield

I can be quite extreme.

Truthfully, I wouldn’t avoid beer from them. But I do dislike the name. It is a corny pun that doesn’t evoke beer. Even the logo is generic.

16. YourDigitalGrave

But it's like Vitamin C. Get it?
    I was partial to Ascorbic Acid. Maybe it was already taken.

Stormfield likes this.
  17. Rysk22

Rysk22 Zealot (545) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

The guys that founded it are from Hull... Vitamin Sea is a term that people use about how the ocean makes them feel good. Not sure what makes it stupid other than someone being a beer curmudgeon and crapping on it for being a NEIPA pun. I suppose Tree House is stupid to because they never brewed beer in a tree house. Dogfish is pretty dumb too. Now that I think about it, you can call any brewery name stupid for no reason whatsoever. Carry on I guess...

forum8417 and matthewp like this.
  18. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (293) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

looks like you should start a least impressive brewery name thread. As a counter, I would say that Vitamin Sea is actually one of the better names of breweries. A lot of them are rather generic.

mltobin and matthewp like this.
  19. YourDigitalGrave

Is it a NEIPA pun? I don't see it. Am I being stupid?

AlcahueteJ and Stormfield like this.
  20. Rysk22

Rysk22 Zealot (545) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

vitamin C, citrus, juice... idk, that’s just where my brain went when trying to invent reasons not to like them

21. YourDigitalGrave

I could see it.
    Sorry, I mean I could sea it.

mltobin, AlcahueteJ and Stormfield like this.
  22. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (293) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

oh boy- let's get back on track. Belgian wit beers are gross and some dude on the trade value forum said that Heady Topper is trash. One statement I feel good solid about saying is that Sam Adams is a great beer name and Boston Lager is definitely a contender for this threads contest.

matthewp and eaglephile like this.
  23. Stormfield

Don’t like the name, I am not the first. Not really sorry about it. Take a deep breath. I think the name is bad. The logo generic. I hear the beer is good. I am also very dumb.

What’s Treehouse?

#103 Stormfield, Feb 15, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    AirBob likes this.
  24. Stormfield

Agree. It’s a fine beer. I would add that SA Boston Ale is good too. I remember buying it in sizers (or even 12s?) at Yankee Spirits. Not even sure if they still make it. Different beer totally, but I love the ubiquity of Be Hoppy on draft in MA. Continues to be great to me. I always perk up when I see the tap handle at restaurants. Certainly a contender to me. My friend from Chicago loves the stuff when he visits.

#104 Stormfield, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    YS1977 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  25. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,941) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Imposing? No. But grand in the sense that it’s widely adored and distributed. And personally, I think it’s awesome. :wink:

We are talking New England. But there’s no other beer like Allagash White in the country in my opinion, whereas Pliny has been compared to Heady for multiple reasons. It’s not as impressive if your doppelgänger is on the West Coast. And I don’t mean this in that they taste exactly the same, I mean it in terms of influence, popularity, cult status...etc.

The second part about 10-15 years is confusing to me. Heady wasn’t really a thing on a broader scale until probably the early to mid teens. 10 years ago it was a very very local thing.

Maybe I’m just misunderstanding what you’re saying.

As in juicy IPAs? I think West Coast IPAs and certainly pale ales can go with seafood. I suppose Heady Topper is sort of in the middle. I’d be curious how that pairs with seafood.

Nah, that title already goes to The Standard from Notch.

Yup, they still make it. Great beer. I just saw it at the liquor store around the corner from me. Use the Sam Adams beer finder to find it. I find that pretty reliable for Boston Ale.

eaglephile likes this.
  26. Auror

Auror Defender (623) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts

I don't find John Stockton to be more impressive than Michael Jordan, but that's just my opinion.

jlordi12, LKAZZI and jhavs like this.
  27. YourDigitalGrave

Is Jordan a witbier or ipa?

Ryanwithacomb and AlcahueteJ like this.
  28. AlcahueteJ

Society

He was a shooting guard. :wink:

I think we can all agree Allagash White and Heady Topper are both well made, excellent beers.

We’re lucky here in New England.

And John Stockton was not better than Michael Jordan.

29. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (2,264) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Pliny is a great, well-made beer, but I always thought that the Heady-Pliny comparisons were always unfair. Heady is in a class of its own due its layers of hop character that I think Pliny lacks.

AElfwine_Nerevar and jlordi12 like this.
  30. Rekrule

Rekrule Zealot (594) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

John Stockton was a better PG than Jordan was. Jordan was a better SG than Stockton was.

I think we run into this same issue trying to compare any beer in NE or otherwise outside of style. Allagash white is a shitty IPA just as much as Heady is a shitty white.

I can list a set of rules that could crown any beer I wanted the 'best' overall. It's all masterbation. There is no most impressive beer in NE.

Just be happy this conversation can even happen because not too long ago we were praying to have something even comparable to beers that don't even move the needle anymore.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  31. buking21

buking21 Aspirant (265) Jan 21, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Late to the game here but always interested in what @AlcahueteJ has to say and figured I'd add my two cents...

At FoFA 2018, my buddy asked Shaun something to the effect of "With all of these great beers here, would it be out of line for me to say that Poetica is my favorite?" Shaun responded "Not at all. To be honest, it's probably the pinnacle of my brewing abilities..." So if the best brewer in the world says Poetica is the best he has done (so far), I'll go with that as the "crowning achievement" of New England beer.

That said, if he were involved in this conversation, I bet he'd agree with the consensus of White or Heady.

Davl22 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  32. AlcahueteJ

Society

Nah he’d say High Life. :wink:

buking21 likes this.
  33. JimmyJimJim

JimmyJimJim Initiate (68) Sep 11, 2015 Massachusetts

Hermit Thrush's "Jolly Abbot"

34. GeauxTigers13

GeauxTigers13 Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2019 Maine

wut

followerofmen and AlcahueteJ like this.
  35. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing Initiate (94) Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I’ve been a ‘craft beer guy’ and homebrewer since the very early 90’s. I’ve seen a lot of ups and downs in the New England beer scene over those years. But throughout those decades, Allagash White has always been there. Ground breaking at first; seriously, a cloudy Belgian White Beer was very out of place in those days. Now it survives in a market saturated in trendy pastry stouts, murky IPAs, and over fruited kettle sours. Allagash White still gets respect from brewers, non craft drinkers, and hazebros alike. It’s a well made, nuanced, delicious, craft made beer. That’s why Allagash White is the correct answer.

36. beardown2489

beardown2489 Devotee (490) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

It appeals to the average beer drinker because it’s approachable, delicious and flawless. It appears to me for the same reasons. I drink it when I get tired of being beta tested by hazy IPAs and other expensive options that quite frankly aren’t executed nearly as well as Allagash White. Allagash White is on god tier status. And I know bars that put it on for novice drinkers and more craft centric bars that put it on for people like me. The same bars that want to highlight great german lagers or British ales instead of some lackluster Irish red that a brewey down the street made because St. Patty’s day is coming up.

37. sosbombs

sosbombs Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2016 Vermont

I like the name, it's better than Beer Naked.

38. sosbombs

Ups and downs, it is just up IMHO.

39. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing Initiate (94) Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I’m an optimist, too! And there has certainly been a lot of ups. But back between 2002-2007 there was a significant decline in new hiring in the craft beer world. And that was during a pretty decent economy. This low/no hiring continued through the early years of the Great Recession, 2008-2010.

Cheers!

40. sosbombs

I remember when there was no good beer anywhere on Cape Cod and how excited we were when they opened the brewery in Hyannis (which was pretty awful). Things are so much better in MA now (and throughout the country of course).

Rysk22 and LakesideBrewing like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.