The New England IPA effect.

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Prep8611, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (235) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

I have lately taken a break from brewing New England IPAs as my last four batches were a wheat beer, 2 pilsners, and a saison. I don't know why but every time I find myself wanting to brew a Hazy IPA. I start out thinking about what I can make with the ingredients I have on hand and then I'm like WTF I'm doing it again.

The thing is I don't really want to brew one right now. I've been concentrating on making clean beers. I start to look at all the pictures on here and everyone is making some delicious hazy ipas. It must be my inner teenager wanting to fit in. Anyone else that can admit that they are having FOMO when looking at the pictures of all these hazy beers and the accolades they receive.

I really enjoy seeing people brew traditional styles but they seem to be far and few between these days.

Curmudgeon, GormBrewhouse and frozyn like this.
  2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,619) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

“Anyone else that can admit that they are having FOMO when looking at the pictures of all these hazy beers and the accolades they receive.”

It would seem that I am an ‘opposite’ fellow here.

I have brewed one batch of a Juicy/Hazy IPA which was my version of a Trillium Galaxy Fort Point Ale. That was in May 2016 and while I really enjoyed that batch all of my IPAs since then (over 10 batches) have been ‘regular’ IPAs. I do enjoy drinking Juicy/Hazy IPAs (e.g., the plethora of brands brewed by Tired Hands) but I suppose drinking 5 gallons of this type of an IPA over the timespan of 2-3 months is not exactly what I look for?

Tomorrow I will be brewing a ‘regular’ IPA featuring Centennial hops. And in June I will be brewing another ‘regular’ IPA likely featuring a combination of Simcoe, Amarillo and Galaxy (I haven’t decided yet).

Cheers!

#2 JackHorzempa, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  3. Prep8611

I wish I didn't have the FOMO because I agree with what your saying. Drinking 5 gallons of this beer is a bit much. With the summer months coming having something crisp and bitter sounds good. Maybe you could share your centennial recipe as I have a bunch of that on hand.

At this point I have purposefully not been brewing a hazy IPA. Any ideas what other styles might go with oat malt from breiss and simpsons golden naked oats besides a stout or porter? I'd really like to use some of these ingredients and not use them in a hazy IPA.

GormBrewhouse and frozyn like this.
  4. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,730) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

I have made an English ale with MO or GP + GNOs, fermented with the West Yorkshire strain. Great summer beer. Oat malt would work well with Pils in a saison. Or with pils + flaked wheat in a wit. I also frequently put it in dark milds.

GormBrewhouse and Prep8611 like this.
  5. MrOH

MrOH Crusader (792) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

I've never brewed a true NEIPA, and I really don't think I ever will. I don't keg, and even if I did, I don't know that I could drink a batch quickly enough before it falls off. Plus, while I do like some of the aspects of them, I kinda like my hoppy beers to be leaner and drier.

So far as the oat malt and GNOs, I'll second a saison. Maybe even split the wort between a saison yeast and a trappist strain and get a singel out of it as well.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  6. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (341) May 9, 2011 Michigan

I’ve made a blonde ale with honey and GNOs. Turned out nice.

7. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (259) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

After 8 or so months of not having any Tree House IPAs and finally getting a care package of a few this week it really solidifies why these beers are so awesome and other than appearance they aren’t like many of what people would call NEIPAs. They are light on the palate, almost disappear mid swallow, no hop burn, super interesting yeast driven aromatics, and so balanced.

According to Nate and every amount of research I’ve done (other than maybe Curiosity beers) indicates there is no wheat, flaked adjuncts of any kind, no Conan or 1318, minimal CaCl used and a decent amount of Gypsum. And not insanely high hopping rates either. Basically the best executed and generally most refined version of the style doesn’t use any of the ingredients nor all the processes people think are what this style is all about.

IPAs high in adjuncts, taste like IPAs high in adjuncts. Everyone is chasing this soft mouthfeel and maximum haze, which you do get but you end up with a thick often sweet mess that’s loaded with chalky polyphenols and doesn’t taste like an IPA any more and are just plain hard to drink more than one IMHO.

I can make a hazy beer that lasts for months in the keg without that much degradation. To me they actually find their sweet spot 3ish weeks in. No keg hops needed. Be insanely meticulous about your O2 pickup post fermentation, don’t use piles of protein heavy adjuncts, and you can do the same... if you’re bottling, I don’t think you can.

/rant

8. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (124) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona

I just started getting into homebrewing right before NE IPAs started catching on nationwide. The beers I "grew up" drinking were regular WC IPAs or maltier East Coast IPAs. My first few homebrew batches were not IPAs. By the time I got around to brewing my first IPA, I had been exposed to Karl Strauss' Aurora Hoppyalis, a "tropical WC IPA," and I wanted to replicate it. I had some issues with overcarbed bottles and lots of trub in the bottle, so I wasn't thrilled with the result. By the time I had brewed my next IPA, I had received some Trillium, Tired Hands, and some other NE breweries' stuff in a trade. Soon after, the trend hit here in Arizona and every brewery in town was pushing out hazy beer.

Suffice to say, every one of my IPAs have been hazy since then. At first, I tried to do it: flaked adjuncts, English yeasts, mid-fermentation dry hopping, whirlpool hops, high CaCl:SO4 ratio, you name it. Later, though, I dropped some or all of these processes/ingredients for individual beers, and they always came out hazy. My theory is, all (good) IPAs are hazy due to the heavy dry hopping. The only reason they ever were clear in the first place was because being hazy was unacceptable; beers were centrifuged or filtered.

I like a little flaked rye in my beers for the drying, crisp quality it gives, and I do like WLP007, but overall, I'm done shooting for the milkshake appearance and mouthfeel. I've got some Columbus, Centennial, and Chinook in the freezer and I plan to give a real, proper WC IPA a go sometime soon. I bet it will still be hazy, maybe I should start fining?

9. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,730) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

The only time I brewed an NEIPA was the APNEIPA recipe, in June of 2016. I did like it, but for whatever reason, haven't come back to it. Well, the reasons are west coast pale ales and IPAs, various Belgians, sours, fruit beers, ciders, meads, esbs, old ales, milds, porters, and cream ales. I like a lot of types of beer and I only brew about 12x a year. FOMO doesn't make sense, because you can always make your next brew whatever you want it to be. Unless you don't want to be caught dead brewing an NEIPA after all the hype has died down (which by my watch, is in the next 3 minutes).

10. ECCS

ECCS Initiate (175) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

There will be a lot of responses coming from a lot of different types of homebrewrs on this question.

My favorite beer to drink is a hop forward ale (pale, ipa, NEIPA, DIPA, DNEIPA, DDHNEIPALOL). I prefer my NEIPA homebrew to most commercial hoppy beers that I can buy locally. I also prefer my hoppy homebrew over some hoppy beers that I’ve traded for. I brew about once per month, and I think I’ve brewed 14 straight NEIPA recipes. As of now, I have no real interest in branching out style-wise... and I have no regrets about that. I brew what I like and feel no sense of urgency to brew other styles.

#10 ECCS, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  11. Prep8611

Homebrewers that only brew hazy ipas.....When buying beer do you also buy hazy IPAs or branch out some to other styles?

GormBrewhouse and MrOH like this.
  12. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (182) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

I have brewed probably 12-13 IPAs in a row. A Baltic Porter was the last non-IPA brew. I brew what I like to drink and I was working toward a house IPA. I have that now and feel like I could branch out some more but it won't be much.

I buy probably 80% IPAs and the rest porters, barleywines, or stouts. That's probably what I settle into for a brewing schedule too. I like to focus on one thing until I get it where I want it and then move on. Next is a solid robust porter.

13. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (259) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

I find hops so interesting which is essentially why I brew IPAs more often than not.... there are so many options and so many different ways to use them and manipulate the profiles you get from them. It’s the ultimate rabbit hole. I don’t even know how many varieties I have in my freezer at the moment.

Stoked on where my Pilsner / Helles are headed.

I’ve got probably 4-5 different mixed ferment Saison/Grisettes going that have been really coming out great and is turning into all I really want to drink. Haven’t put any bacteria into play yet but have 4 different flasks going with dregs from some of my favorite breweries going that I’ve got to start to use sometimes soon.

14. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (105) Dec 25, 2015 New York

No fomo here but the hazy pics are neat to look at. Faketoberfest is chillin and a Brown ale and irish red ale are coming up. If i do a neipa i'm going to order the south african kit from northern brewer to change things up..

15. Prep8611

I have 100 lbs of pilsner malt, 55 lbs of pale ale malt, and various other increments of Munich, wheat, oat varieties, biscuit, honey malt. I'd like to keep brewing lagers but I'm waiting for the last one I brewed so I can use the yeast. I have so much Citra, Amarillo, hallertau blanc, centennial, comet that hazy ipas just seem like a natural thing to make. I want to use up these ingredients by end of summer. Help would be appreciated haha.

16. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (91) Jan 10, 2018 California

Stouts. Thats been my change of gear.

17. Prep8611

I prefer drinking stouts in the winter and honestly don't drink them that much in the spring:summer even thought I realize that doesn't make much sense.

18. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (706) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

I think neipas have made ipas more approachable/less bitter for some folks.

GormBrewhouse and StupidlyBrave like this.
  19. Prep8611

I agree with that and I like both styles but regular ipas just aren't sexy right now so every time I start to make a pale ale recipe I'm throwing oats and wheat and all these fruity hops in it.

20. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (371) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Sounds, to me, like your a bit stuck on the haze.

Personally, I do not make hazy brew anymore. Got tired of it early on and definatly it falls out quick in my bottles. Regardless of the reason it does this, I was a game changer to me. Since then I've had lots of neipas from various Brewers in bottles or from a keg and it's just not for me,

Standard, or, old style, or west coast type IPAs and pales are on the schedule

I'd suggest you make a standard Irish stout for summer time without any extras. It drinks well anytime. Change up with , again, a standard oatmeal stout and that will use up some of your oats.

Standard IPAs will use most of your ipa type hops.

In closing, going back to the basics yields me great drinking beers, which after all , is what I want.

NorCalKid, Supergenious, MrOH and 2 others like this.
  21. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (780) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Because I only brew hoppy beer at home, I tend to not buy it when I'm at the store. Been buying mostly light in color lagers lately. At the pub, it depends on what's on.

Prep8611 likes this.
  22. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Disciple (302) May 29, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

@Prep8611 , I think I'm in the same boat. When I first started brewing I tried a few different styles - IPA, Hefe, Kolsch, EPA, Belgian Pale, Saison, but then I started with the NEIPAs and they stuck with me. They just turned out so good (had a couple issues with Simcoe but that's a different story) I didn't want to brew anything else. These days I've been alternating between NEIPA and Hefeweizen. I consumed a Congress St. clone batch in about 3 weeks because it turned out so good. I have a Hefe carbing up right now but I'm fighting against brewing a Melcher St. clone next (lots of Mosaic and Columbus on hand) because I feel like I should branch out. I know it'd be great though because of how the Congress St. clone turned out.

I posted this thread recently and got a lot of great ideas. Not sure if it'll help your cause as I'm still conflicted. I know I'm thinking too much and should just brew but in a strange way I kind of like fighting with myself on what to brew next. I feel like it's part of the fun.

As for what I've been buying - all the new NEIPAs that all the "other" breweries are making now and I've been usually disappointed compared with Tree House and Trillium. I need a proper fermentation chamber; I see lagers in my future...or maybe a cream ale?....another Kolsch?....mmm, maybe a soft & rounded saison this time.....maybe............................

Prep8611 likes this.
  23. Naugled

Naugled Defender (606) Sep 25, 2007 New York

All good fads must come to an end... or at least slow down. I think the style is here to stay, but the explosive growth is not.

Sounds like the homebrewers on this forum aren't as enamored with NEIPA's as they once were. Could this be a sign of an NEIPA slowdown?

GormBrewhouse and Curmudgeon like this.
  24. drink1121

drink1121 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2009 California

every single IPA I make is hazy , not because I want it to be, it just turns out hazy. do you get clear IPA with gelatin or something similar?

25. JackHorzempa

Premium

Beers that are heavily hopped will tend to be non-clear from the significant amount of polyphenols from the hops (and also from malt).

My 'regular' IPAs are not crystal clear but I can see my fingers on the back of the pint glass. In contrast when I brewed a Juicy/Hazy IPA it was opaque; I could not see my fingers on the opposite side of the pint glass.

The only thing I add is kettle finings (i.e., rehydrated Irish Moss flakes for the last 15 minutes of boil). The resulting IPA has some haze (i.e., it is not brilliantly clear) but it is not opaque either.

Cheers!

26. drink1121

drink1121 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2009 California

hmmmmm. when do you add dry hop? do you wait until full attenuated, cold crash and then add?

27. MrOH

MrOH Crusader (792) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

You wouldn't think that from reading the Homebrewing Activities or What Homebrew are You Drinking threads...

Personally, I think there are a lot of things about the NEIPA that are different from how we thought about how to brew an IPA 6-8 years ago that are definitely worth considering for any IPA: yeast selection, malt/grain bill, hopping schedule, and mineral content of brewing liquor have definitely opened up new possibilities. However, haze for haze's sake is bullshit, and often the result is an overly fruity and (at the extreme) sweet beer with a thick mouthfeel and no "bite" (for lack of a better word) to make it drinkable other than the initial hop overload.

28. JackHorzempa

Premium

I wait until signs of fermentation are complete (e.g., no more bubbling through the airlock) and then add the dry hops. I do not cold crash.

Cheers!

GormBrewhouse and drink1121 like this.
  29. Prep8611

Any reason for not cold crashing? Do your beers turn out better without the cold crash?

30. JackHorzempa

Premium

I have been homebrewing for over 20 years and I have never seen the need for cold crashing my beers.

You asked: "Do your beers turn out better without the cold crash?" Well, needless to say I can't really respond to you here since I have never cold crashed my beers.

I can state that I am very happy with the beers I make without cold crashing so....

Perhaps this is an appropriate time for me once again say what I have said many times before:

"Brew the beers that you like and brew them the way that you like".

We are all head brewers of our own homebrewery, we all get to decide.

Cheers!

31. Prep8611

Cheers to that Jack. Truer words have never been said. I'm sure you make damn good beer.

GormBrewhouse and JackHorzempa like this.
  32. JackHorzempa

Premium

As long as we make beer that we enjoy drinking, we all make damn good beer!!

Cheers!

NorCalKid, GormBrewhouse and Prep8611 like this.
  33. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (91) Jan 10, 2018 California

Good thread.

34. Damoxemus

Damoxemus Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2018 British Columbia (Canada)

I'm feeling exactly the same. I like them once in awhile but my house IPA's are much more "juicy" then hazy. Usually a bit lower abv too.

35. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (780) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Once your recipe involves a certain amount of hops, it'll never be clear unless you fine it or centrifuge it or use membranous filtration.

36. Prep8611

I'm vowing to have a few nice brew days without brewing a hazy IPA. My birthday is April 28th and I'm thinking I have just enough time to brew and have a hefeweizen on tap for the draft and my birthday. Also as soon as I keg this pils I'll have a fuckton of lager yeast I plan on doing a Vienna lager on.