The Perfect Pairing: a Hazy Pale Ale scientifically-engineered to pair with Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,698) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery & Cabot Creamery Collaborate on The Perfect Pairing, a Beer Scientifically-Engineered to Pair with Cheddar Cheese

Available exclusively in Dogfish Head’s NEW Variety 12pk/12oz cans, The Perfect Pairing is brewed with whey from Cabot Creamery

MILTON, DEL. (AUG. 15, 2022) – The world’s cheesiest beer collaboration (quite literally), Dogfish Head Craft Brewery and Cabot Creamery unveil The Perfect Pairing, a hazy pale ale scientifically-engineered to be ‘the perfect pairing’ for sharp cheddar cheese, specifically Cabot Creamery’s Seriously Sharp Cheddar cheese. Clocking in at 5.5% ABV, The Perfect Pairing is unfiltered and hop-forward with juicy, citrusy notes of grapefruit and pineapple. Beautiful hazy-golden in color, it features whey from Cabot Creamery, which contributes both a compelling body and subtle sweetness to the beer. Hitting shelves from coast-to-coast this month, The Perfect Pairing will be available exclusively in Dogfish Head’s NEW Variety 12pk/12oz cans, The Off-Centered Party Pack.

[​IMG]

“The carbonation, light bitterness and balanced fruity flavors of The Perfect Pairing prepare and cleanse the palate in between bites of our creamy, tangy, bold Seriously Sharp Cheddar cheese,” said Maegan Olsen, R&D Food Technologist at Cabot Creamery. "The Perfect Pairing shares some of the same DNA as Cabot’s Seriously Sharp Cheddar, with the use of Cabot’s whey permeate as a unique ingredient to the recipe. The collaboration was a natural fit (and extremely fun!) as Dogfish + Cabot both take the time to lovingly craft their products starting with the magical process of fermentation.”

Dogfish Head’s Off-Centered Party Pack includes a selection of four hop-centric beers to complement any cooler-weather drinking occasion. In addition to The Perfect Pairing, the Off-Centered Party Pack contains three, 12oz cans of each of the following beers. Recommended cheese pairings for each of variety pack’s beers are also included, courtesy of Cabot Creamery.
    • 90 Minute IPA (9.0% ABV): Inspired by a bowl of soup and a thrift store football game, 90 Minute IPA is the beer that invented Dogfish Head’s proprietary, continual hopping process. By adding small amounts of hops at a consistent rate throughout the beer’s 90-minute boil, Dogfish created a pungently hoppy yet beautifully balanced brew with rich pine and fruity citrus hop aromas and a strong malt backbone.

Recommended Cheese Pairing
      : Habanero Cheddar
    • 60 Minute IPA (6.0% ABV): A best-selling Dogfish Head beer, 60 Minute IPA is continually hopped for – you guessed it – 60 minutes with a boatload of intense Northwest hops for a bold, timeless flavor. Chock full of pungently, citrusy, grassy hop notes, without being crushingly bitter, 60 Minute IPA is a surprisingly sessionable IPA for the craft enthusiast.

: Cracked Peppercorn Cheddar
    • Blue Hen Pilsner (4.8% ABV): A crisp and refreshing pilsner, Blue Hen Pilsner is brewed with only four ingredients – water, hops, yeast and Delaware-grown and malted barley. Giving a loving nod to Dogfish Head’s slight yet mighty home state, the beer’s label artwork features the Delaware state bird and a color palette similar to the Delaware state flag.

: Pepper Jack
    “Many folks think of pairing cheese with wine, but beer and cheese pairings can be just as complex and delicious,” said Sam Calagione, Dogfish Head Founder & Brewer. “We had a blast working alongside the folks at Cabot to create, from a sensory perspective, the perfect beer to pair with sharp cheddar cheese. With The Perfect Pairing, and Dogfish Head’s entire Off-Centered Party Pack, we want to open drinkers’ minds and palates to the intricacies of beer and cheese and introduce them to the culinary magic that can be found when you artfully combine the two.”

For more about Dogfish Head Craft Brewery and Cabot Creamery, visit www.dogfish.com and www.cabotcheese.coop, respectively. To track down an Off-Centered Party Pack, featuring The Perfect Pairing, check out Dogfish Head’s Fish Finder.

###

MikeWard, LesDewitt4beer and Rug like this.
  2. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (3,054) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I'm not a huge fan of variety packs, but I think I'm all in on this one. Too bad it doesn't include a variety pack of that Cabot Creamery cheese. :slight_frown:

3. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,500) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

Will gladly buy this pack!

dcotom and JZH1000 like this.
  4. Rug

Rug Poo-Bah (2,121) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Came here to say this haha. I know I recently complained about DFH in a thread, but even though I'd prefer this to be not tied to a variety pack I enjoy the idea of pairing them all with cheese

5. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,711) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Is there anything that cheese can’t do?

MrOH, kuhndog, PapaGoose03 and 6 others like this.
  6. ESHBG

ESHBG Devotee (443) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I enjoy Cabot's cheese and I saw singles of The Perfect Pairing and was curious so I will give it a shot.

dcotom likes this.
  7. JZH1000

JZH1000 Defender (670) Nov 7, 2021 Colorado

Haven't seen this one but I've been on a euro and colorado lager kick, I might have to look for some dogfish head now :beers::popcorn:

dcotom likes this.
  8. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (3,054) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

It can't pretend to be palatable when it's marbled with blue mold. But maybe that's just me. :stuck_out_tongue:

9. md3kcn

md3kcn Zealot (560) Feb 4, 2021 North Carolina
    Trader

Excited for a saison that is scientifically made to pair with Camembert!

10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,750) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I don't know,...sounds cheesy to me!?!

[​IMG]

PapaGoose03, woodchipper and BigIronH like this.
  11. JZH1000

Is this already on shelves or will ther be a bit of a wait on this? I wish I could get a 6 of the pils and and the cheese pale ale

12. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Devotee (451) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

I don't want "Scientifically Engineered" on any beer I drink.

13. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,214) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Shit just what I need my 2 biggest vices requiring that they be consumed together...

Jaycase, seakayak, Rug and 1 other person like this.
  14. BikeChef

BikeChef Defender (621) Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia
    Society

Picked up this pack last week, as the price was too low to resist-- on sale at Safeway for $18, plus there was a $5 rebate via their app. Blue Hen is better than I remember from having a draft at the brewery. The Perfect Pairing is solid too. Not that hazy-- more of a juicy/tropical pale ale. Haven't tried drinking it with cheddar yet. Neither beer is going to blow you away, but both are enjoyable with the weather still being hot. 60 Minute holds up as a great beer, and it's interesting to revisit 90 Minute (what was once so hoppy now seems so malty).

Rug, Jaycase, ESHBG and 1 other person like this.
  15. woodchipper

woodchipper Poo-Bah (1,585) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Not a fan of Dogfish "experimental" beers, but I love cheddar and I like the rest of the mix in that pack, the rest being standard styles.

JZH1000 likes this.
  16. sharpski

sharpski Meyvn (1,274) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Society Trader

Narrator: It was always malty.

o29, rgordon, John_M and 1 other person like this.
  17. JZH1000

Still haven't seen it around... is this coming to colorado, or is it already here and my luck has just been terrible....

You'd think I'd have better luck being in the denver area, I guess I better get searching otherwise I could miss it so if someone could enlighten me that would be much appreciated.

18. ESHBG

ESHBG Devotee (443) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Have you tried their beer finder? It's accurate in my area:

https://www.dogfish.com/brewery/fishfinder

19. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,304) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I'm a science denier and I ain't eatin' no engineered cheese or gettin that third booster next Wednesday at 11:30 Oops.....

Rug and sharpski like this.
  20. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,317) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Yes, but he's right. When I first tried it roughly 20 years ago, I thought the malty flavor wasn't particularly noticable, given the level of hoppiness. Now I find 90 minute to be so malty, I can't enjoy it.

#20 John_M, Sep 19, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    BikeChef likes this.