The Perfect Pint (cask)

Discussion in 'British Isles' started by CwrwAmByth, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Grand Pooh-Bah (3,101) Jan 24, 2011 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

In your opinions, what makes a pint perfect for you? Is it sitting in a shady beer garden sipping pale ale in the summer heat, or by the pub's fireside with a few friends on a cold winter's evening, quaffing porter, or even just that first sip of bitter after a hard days work?

2. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,314) Sep 25, 2011 England
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Friday night in the ale house trying a new dark mild or stout or porter and feeling the stress and strain drain away with each sip and sup :sunglasses:

3. CwrwAmByth

Pooh-Bah Society

Mmmm that sounds good. What i'm doing now feels pretty perfect actually. Sitting in my room, it's sunny outside and a nice breeze coming in through the window. I have a pork pie for lunch, and a pint of Cwrw Haf http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/8405/26553 (rated 90 by the bros) a refreshing Welsh summer ale. I'm planning a trip to Cardiff Castle with my friends too. I just feel so damned content.

4. marquis

marquis Pooh-Bah (2,301) Nov 20, 2005 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

It all depends! In the summer I drink many pints in a beer garden overlooking the sea, the Adnam's is perfection itself , always cool and fresh (but not unfortunately cheap!) and wonder if life can get any better.
    In the winter it's lovely to snug in near an open fire with a pint or three of mild or porter.
    Luckily I'm in a position to do these whenever I feel like it. The rest of the year is pretty good too-walking into one of our pubs not knowing what beers will be on the pumps and trying something new.Or renewing acquaintance with an old favourite.
    Perfection can take many forms :-)

5. BlackHaddock

BlackHaddock Grand Pooh-Bah (3,564) Aug 4, 2006 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

Like Marcus: it all depends.
    Some times I prefer to be with mates in a good pub, other times I might want to be with the wife or alone.
    Light beers in the sun or dark beers by a roaring fire: i'm just a beer whore at heart!

<*))))))><

6. Zimbo

Zimbo Pooh-Bah (2,281) Aug 7, 2010 Scotland
    Pooh-Bah

I can never plan for the perfect pint. It usually happens when I least expect it whether I'm out for cask and curry with the boys or as barfly nursing a long slow pint off the beaten track.

7. CwrwAmByth

Pooh-Bah Society

I miss a good pint with a curry. Imagine my horror when I found out my 30 year old Bristolian friend liked neither beer, cider or curry. :slight_frown:

8. marquis

marquis Pooh-Bah (2,301) Nov 20, 2005 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

It's worth pointing out that IMO NOTHING comes anywhere near a mild when it comes to pairing with a curry. One year we launched the "Mild in May" campaign in a pub which was having a curry night at the time so we availed ourselves of both , ending up laughing with each other at the perfect match.

9. CwrwAmByth

Pooh-Bah Society

Thanks i'll remember that!

10. Zimbo

Zimbo Pooh-Bah (2,281) Aug 7, 2010 Scotland
    Pooh-Bah

There's no accounting for taste. I love beer, curry, fine wine and dining, whisky of all sorts, fast food, pub grub-- the lot.
    Looks like its your job to expand your friend's horizens.

11. BlackHaddock

BlackHaddock Grand Pooh-Bah (3,564) Aug 4, 2006 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

The best beer to have with a curry in the UK: I've started a new thread.

12. Mark

Mark Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2001 California

For me real ale drinking in the U.K. is best in cold weather although I would enjoy it any time. i prefer my favorite pub to be on the quiet side with no too many people. My favorite pub in London is the Lamb and my favorite session bitter is Young's ordinary. Our last night the pub was hopping even though it wass late on a Tuesday. I loved seeing the handles on the real ale being pulled on constantly. Not too many lager boys which is always good.

13. ReluctantScooper

ReluctantScooper Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2008 England

The one that makes me smile. First pint of the weekend, last pint of a boozy night, consolation pint after my team get beat, the one with the sun on my back, the one with my feet by the fire, the one shared with not-often seen friends, the one drank alone as I solve the last clue in the crossword.

What the pint is, isn't important.

14. CwrwAmByth

Pooh-Bah Society

Have to add in another one. The other day I had a pint of Fullers London Porter, accompanied by a big steaming bowl of home made stew (beef, carrots, leeks, potatoes) and dumplings. It was amazing!

15. omnigrits

omnigrits Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2006 Texas

May I add one more to the list? The type of beer doesn't really matter, but whatever it is, it should be drunk while sitting outside a pub (country or town, either would do) in late June/early July, at around 10pm on a balmy evening, and it's still dusk even at that late hour, and there might be Wimbledon highlights to watch later, and the bulk of the summer is still ahead. Man, I love that time of year.

Ruds likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.