The Radler to Close After Five Years in Chicago's Logan Square

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Todd, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,652) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

ICYMI...
    More: https://chicago.eater.com/2019/2/7/18216103/radler-logan-square-closed-german-food

(Each opening/closure deserve its own thread.)

2. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Champion (802) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin

I hate to see this. I love going there since they always have a ton of great German and American takes on German beers. Steinhoisting on Friday nights is always fun. Hammerschlagen, even modified as it was for The Radler, is a really fun game. The food was solid to good, which is really the only thing I wasn't over the moon about in regards to this bar. The vibe of a great German or English bar/pub just can't be beat, in my opinion, and I'll definitely miss this one.

I hope this doesn't bode ill for other great German bars in the city, particularly Laschet's Inn and Huettenbar.

Further, I hope this means Metropolitan will bottle their Helles now (which they formerly brewed exclusively for The Radler), as that's really the only thing that can soften this blow.

3. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,247) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I have heard rumors that the closing may not be absolutely certain yet... essentially that there was a slight chance the closing could be called off. We'll have to see.
    Totally agree - I'd be so happy if they bottled that helles.

THANAT0PSIS likes this.
  4. FleskBrewFan

FleskBrewFan Initiate (119) Aug 4, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

The latest I’ve heard is it will become a stump house, leave the bar, and limit the kitchen

FBarber likes this.
  5. Jsimansk

Jsimansk Initiate (170) Jul 10, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I'm not at all familiar with the term "stump house" - care to enlighten the ignorant?

6. FleskBrewFan

Trader

Basically a Hammerslaguen bar. The former restaurant area will be filled with tree stumps to play the game

Jsimansk likes this.
  7. FleskBrewFan

Trader

8. GrumpyGas

GrumpyGas Poo-Bah (2,376) Apr 7, 2009 Illinois
    Society Trader

That will be in every bar, taproom, restaurant, gas station, Subway, and Chipotle very soon with an axe throwing club next door.
    I am never surprised by the ways people throw away their money.

9. Jplachy

Jplachy Devotee (453) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

FBarber likes this.
  10. FleskBrewFan

Trader

Don’t kill the messenger

Jplachy likes this.
  11. StupidlyBrave

StupidlyBrave Initiate (74) Jan 2, 2009 Pennsylvania

Jesus. It sounds like theyve turned Bushcraft into a drinking game

12. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,247) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Soooo, rather than pay $35 to do this, feel free to bring me a 6-pack then go into my back yard and hammer all the nails you want into the stumps laying around. :joy:

HouseofWortship and Jsimansk like this.
  13. THANAT0PSIS

I love Hammerschlagen, unlike most people in this thread it seems, but $35 is a lot...a lot...to play for the day.

Say you have a party of 4 at the old Radler. Nails used to be 4 for $1.00. This means that you need to play 35 games to get your money's worth at this new iteration, plus the cost of beer. That's ridiculous.

jaysker95, Jsimansk and FBarber like this.
  14. THANAT0PSIS

I stand corrected: you get 5 Club Coins with the $35, but each member of your party has to pay $35 (whereas each person could give a quarter every game in the old Radler; this brings the total cost to play for the day for a party of four to a whopping $140, which would have gotten you 140 games at the old location).

Admittedly, the value of the tokens hasn't been disclosed. If the value is there for the tokens (e.g. one token gets you a half liter or small plate), then it may be worth it, but for now, we just don't know anything beyond each token costs $7 (if you buy tokens individually).

It's still an absurd business model if you ask me. Hammerschlagen is a pretty niche game in my estimation, and a $35 entry fee is prohibitively steep to most people, I assume.

FBarber likes this.
  15. ECCS

ECCS Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois

I hope they have NEIPAs, milkshakes, and pastry stouts on tap

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  16. SudsSavant

SudsSavant Initiate (167) Jan 9, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

What night is league night going to be for this place?

HouseofWortship likes this.
  17. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,347) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Under the part about pregnant women and operation of heavy machinery don't beer labels warn of the danger of drinking and driving nails?

I wouldn't count on seeing the end of your annual membership unless the famed German rapper MC Hammerschlagen performs every night.

THANAT0PSIS and FBarber like this.
  18. RexKramer

RexKramer Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2011 Illinois

Bingo. And the novelty will wear off. It's a great game to play in your friend's backyard or a place that happens to have it and you can buy nails for a couple of games. I just don't see the long-term draw, especially with a front-loaded price like this.

19. BuffaloBill12

BuffaloBill12 Initiate (148) Oct 21, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.