Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

The Ultimate Guide to Craft Beer in New England

Discussion in 'New England' started by jomobono, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jomobono

jomobono Disciple (350) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

kevgod likes this.
  2. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (527) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Respectable list IMO. Like the the fact that all the beers rated are easily obtainable.

3. jomobono

Subscriber Beer Trader

Yeah that is what I was thinking too.

4. Auror

Auror Defender (636) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Not a bad list. I would've picked a beer from Allagash for the Tripel/Quad category (Tripel, Four, Curieux, etc.) And I recently had Don Cornelius from High & Mighty, and I'd probably rate that the best Brown Ale I've had from NE (and widely distributed in the region as far as I know), although the competition isn't very strong. It's the only beer from High & Mighty I've liked.

5. aorloski

aorloski Devotee (437) Oct 11, 2010 Massachusetts

i woulda went with ipswich oatmeal stout for the stout category

Longstaff and SunDevilBeer like this.
  6. emannths

emannths Initiate (193) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Give the Fumatas a try if a) you haven't already and b) you don't have an aversion to smoke. I'd also nominate them for the session category, though the bomber-only format doesn't make it easy on the wallet (nice on tap though).

I'd put Smuttynose's Robust Porter over the Slumbrew, and I'd like to see Spring Hop and/or Zoe in the list of amber ales. Jack's Abby needs to get the bottling line hummin' so they can get on this list.

7. jomobono

Subscriber Beer Trader

They are definitely hummin', I think distribution hasn't caught up yet. They have all their 4 packs available at Julio's.

8. jbertsch

jbertsch Meyvn (1,078) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

I saw this yesterday and was going to comment on boston.com about other not-so-easy-to-find-but-far-more-worth it beers. However, reading between the lines of their intro where it says - "We tasted samples from 33 of our finest regional breweries to find our favorite beers in 15 styles....These picks were heads above the rest" - it's as if someone gave them a random bunch of beers and they rated which were their favorites AMONG that bunch they were given. Maybe I'm reading into more than I should. But if I was to say "try Hill Farmstead, Alchemist, Lawson's..." they'd probably just reply, "hey, we simply tasted what we had on hand". I assume availability had something to do with it.

9. ActonBrewer

ActonBrewer Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2009 Massachusetts

Availability should have something to do with the list. It doesn't really help to rate beers in the top 15 that are hard to get or have limited distribution. Availability is something I put into consideration when it comes to rating a beer. Who cares if it's the best IPA you have ever had if they only made it once and retired the beer? Decent list, but I agree there were some better beers that are easily available.

jomobono and FrankLloydMike like this.
  10. cbeer88

cbeer88 Crusader (719) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

With a couple of small exceptions, that list is basically "here's the flagship from 15 different New England breweries". It even extends into the backup selection for most of them.

There's nothing horribly wrong with most of the beers on that list, and they offer a good sampling of New England, but I really think it's a major stretch to call that list "the best". It's more of a "New England craft beer introduction".

jomobono likes this.
  11. kinopio

kinopio Disciple (326) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Its obviously not an article for serious beer drinkers, but if it introduces a non craft drinker to some of the good beers they mention then that is good. As a lover of both tripels and quads I find lumping them in the same category nonsensical. Its like putting porters and pale ales in the same category.

12. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (379) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

"We tried, but our car got stuck in the mud."

I don't fault them for touting beers that the average reader might be able to find in the average bottle shop.

13. JCTetreault

JCTetreault Aspirant (208) Mar 19, 2008 Massachusetts

peeper as a runner up to steel rail, though?

14. FrankLloydMike

FrankLloydMike Devotee (499) Aug 16, 2006 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

My thoughts exactly. This is an article from Boston magazine--whatever people think of them, it shouldn't include beers that you can't find in the Boston area. Maybe it's more accurate to call it the Ultimate Guide to Craft Beer in New England That's Readily Available in the Boston Area, but that's quite a mouth full and I think most people get what they mean anyway. There are other beers that I would place ahead of some on this list, but generally it's a solid lineup and a good introduction--or guide--of what to look for, and what you can expect to find. A list like this is a lot more useful to most people than a list of the best beers ever brewed in New England, half of which may have been brewed only once or that you can only get at one store or something.

15. jbertsch

jbertsch Meyvn (1,078) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

I almost had to say that myself last time I was up there...

16. ghamel

ghamel Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2006 Connecticut

Agreed. Not a huge fan of the Baxter Extra Pale ale as well.

17. grotonmarketguy

grotonmarketguy Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2005 Massachusetts

Ultimate guide to New England Brewing goes as follows: There are a few really good beer being brewed in Vermont, and everything else is brewed at Mercury Brewing Co.

18. geocool

geocool Initiate (175) Jun 21, 2006 Massachusetts

I think it's a pretty good list with not a lot to quibble over. It's obviously weighted towards beers that are widely available here, which is just fine, though maybe they could have called more attention to this. Mean Old Tom is the only beer on the list that isn't widely available.

19. jhb138

jhb138 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2010 Massachusetts

My thoughts exactly.

20. Auror

Auror Defender (636) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It's funny, the only thing from Vermont on this list is Magic Hat #9.
    Ipswich, CBC, Slumbrew, and Notch do brew at Mercury though.

21. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

This comment made me chuckle....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.