1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

The Unspoken NJ Breweries (2019)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by M-Fox24, Feb 10, 2019.

1. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Champion (867) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Original thread title was adjusted, and closed out. Nonetheless, figured a discussion surrounding “the unspoken” + new entrants, standouts, hidden gems, and whatnot was worthy of revival via 2019

For starters – Not sure when River Horse has last caressed the palate; nonetheless, a gamble was taken…

Aroma of roasted milk chocolate, coffee beans, creamy vanilla, marshmallow, coconut, and a metallic fade that’s not too aggressive

The restrained smokiness starts to come through with stages as does more coconut, mocha, and molten milk chocolate. However, that lingering cardboard note is slightly disappointing, but it’s immaterial and pushing it aside to focus on the bitter, sharp, “Ugandan coffee beans”

The feel is thin which is permitting exploration v. mash up: not cloying, sticky, thick, or too pastry for that matter. So, it’s a moderate clean take on lactose that’s still rich and creamy

[​IMG]

NeroFiddled and TheGent like this.
  2. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (876) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

A good thread to restart thanks

Mrstiffington and TheGent like this.
  3. M-Fox24

Trader

4. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,602) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Of the two breweries mentioned so far, I don't think that High Point / Ramstein has ever faltered. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in my opinion they were top notch from the get-go. Why they've been so under the radar for years I don't know.

River Horse is a whole different ballgame. Their initial beer were not that good, and then they didn't really get better until around 2000. 19 years later they've improved quite a bit and they're producing some very nice stuff.

Xerlic, Skrip, jake92691 and 2 others like this.
  5. RobHB

RobHB Initiate (77) Aug 20, 2017 New Jersey

Thanks for rebooting the old thread! I had some of the Mocha Lisa Porter last week and I liked it, but not as much as I thought I would. I think the beer I had earlier (a really oversweetned wee heavy) may have tainted my thoughts on this beer.

Another brewery that seems to be overlooked is Jersey Girl. I may have mentioned them in that original thread I created, but I've really enjoyed what I've had from them. On the other hand, the beers I've had from them were either on tap or at the brewery because for some reason, they have a strange dating system (one would say nonexistent) for the cans that is not a date stamp, but the stamp of a song title.

TongoRad likes this.
  6. bryantc3

bryantc3 Initiate (170) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey

I found Jersey girl to be extremely hit or miss. I've had some good beers from them, and I've also had beers that tasted like they just steeped 30 year old pennies in vodka for a few weeks.

The first time I went there shortly after they opened is when I was happiest with them. They had this really good molten chocolate lava stout and some kind of kiwi strawberry blonde ale, both were really good. The one IPA they can that isn't rakebreaker is pretty decent, nice tap room as well.

Mrstiffington likes this.
  7. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,563) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I like their Mo Pils; it isn't top tier, but quite tasty nonetheless.

Mrstiffington likes this.
  8. M-Fox24

Trader

Pilsner collab amongst 11 NJ breweries seems to be in the works

TongoRad likes this.
  9. SMason

SMason Initiate (191) Feb 6, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

Jersey Girls has a great facility and taproom but they have had several brewers come and go. I have found them to have poor qc and their beers dependably substandard. Wish they had spent less on facility and invested more in a brewer with a plan to build something....

10. I_can_smell_the_hops

I_can_smell_the_hops Initiate (52) Apr 2, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Going to Marlton for a wedding in April. Plan on going to Tonewood while in the area and possibly Lunacy. Any other breweries down there worth checking out?

11. jake92691

jake92691 Initiate (64) Nov 25, 2014 New Jersey

Zeds is in Marlton. I only stopped there briefly once for a flight but liked what I had.

jonphisher likes this.
  12. gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy Initiate (115) Jun 1, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

Eight and Sand and Double Nickel have both been stepping it up a bit lately. Not a whole lot in that area.

13. Dreamer57

Dreamer57 Initiate (142) Apr 13, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Went to Last Wave today for first time since around when they opened. Really liked the Weat Coast IPA, Mango Milkshake IPA and Porter with coconut I had.

14. M-Fox24

Trader

NJCB event with more than a couple “Unspoken(s)," and a keg of Dinner

TheGent likes this.
  15. M-Fox24

Trader

Kielbasa Beer (i.e. Polish-style wheat beer)

#15 M-Fox24, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  16. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,440) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

:astonished: Because how many times have all us, upon encountering one more Grodziskie on the shelves, thought:

"Goddam, not another !@#$ Grodziskie. WTF, can't these brewers think of some way to be innovative with this style!

I mean, what am I supposed to do if I want hot peppers in my beer - put them in myself?!"

RobHB, TongoRad and Mrstiffington like this.
  17. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (1,630) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I mean, the two flavors do seem like a natural fit. If the beer is not too hot and the pepper flavor comes through I could imagine it working well. ISO.

18. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (77) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

In looking at the 50 fastest growing breweries in America map posted on the Industrial Arts thread, I noticed that Flounder made the list. How exactly?

eagles7251 likes this.
  19. jesskidden

Society

By having brewed only 250 barrels in both 2016 and 2017? But that's according to the Brewers Association and both figures are foot-noted as "estimate" which seems contrary to the methodology:
    So, maybe, they gave the B.A. updated, actual production figures for '17 and '18?

This 2017 article puts their barrelage at the time as "50 barrels per year" and this one from last November confirms they still are "...A hobby for three brothers became Flounder Brewing Co., a Hillsborough craft brewery that produces three barrels at the same time ..."

Not hard to "grow fast" when you begin at such a small starting figure. As noted in the Beer News thread by many poster, large "growth" percentages don't mean much in a segment of the brewing industry where breweries' yearly barrelage figures can range from 0 to 6,000,000.

tzieser and Mrstiffington like this.
  20. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (77) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey
    Trader

Thank you for doing my work for me. Didn’t even know where to look.

21. J5ryall

J5ryall Initiate (66) Aug 5, 2015 New Jersey

Saw the headline. Didn't even consider clicking on that garbage. I cannot think of a single use for the information the article intended to convey

22. RobHB

Some interesting things going on in the "elder statesmen" breweries...

Beach Haus has a new brewer as of about 6 months ago and the beers they've been releasing since he joined have been getting some good chatter. There's that Peach Milkshake IPA - We Were Made for Peach Other - that people seem to like and a new Pale Ale. I've always loved their location but the beers were usually about average.

Jughandle seems to be getting a decent amount of chatter, too. They've been doing more can releases, I've seen a couple in stores near me in Somerset County. Crimes of Passion, the IPA they were pouring at the Meadowlands Beer Expo back in February was one of the better IPAs I had that day.

Flying Fish is continuing to make interesting beers. Though I didn't have a chance to try it, I heard good things about the Irish Potato Candy Stout from a couple of people. The Double-Fishted DIPA and Tropical Tradewinds Wheat are their latest brews, has anybody had those?

dennis3951 and Mrstiffington like this.
  23. TomFoley

TomFoley Aspirant (205) Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

I liked Jughandle when we visited.

24. jesskidden

Society

Flying Fish, dating from the late 1990s - OK but Jughandle and Beach Haus - "elder" ? I mean, OK, NJ's brewery scene took awhile* but the brewery should at least be "over 21" to be considered elderly...:grin:

*(Well, save for short-lived and often forgotten Vernon Valley [later Clement’s] which opened in '87.)

tzieser and gardenstatepkwy like this.
  25. dennis3951

How many NJ breweries or brew pubs were around 21 years ago? Beside Flying Fish I know The Ship Inn, Trap Rock, and Climax. I'm not sure about River Horse.

26. NeroFiddled

Society Trader

I thought River Horse pre-dated Climax but I could be wrong. Also, when did Krogh's put in their brewing system?

27. NeroFiddled

Society Trader

JFC !!! "Irish Potato Candy Stout"? I guess you've got to do what you've got to do to stay in the market and make money but Flying Fish always used to be a very traditional brewery.

No offence to anyone who likes them but I'm way over these pastry and dessert beers at this point.

28. dennis3951

Just Googled River Horse, it opened in 96.

29. jesskidden

Society

Yeah, I'd have to dig through a lot of "hard copy" files but it seems like there were mostly brewpubs in 1990s. Triumph was an early one that you missed above - supposedly they did a lot of the political legwork to legalize brewpubs, but Ship Inn beat them to the opening since it was already an established business as a bar/restaurant.

But there were a lot of "come and gone" brewpubs, a few up by you in "north central" Jersey, one in Trenton in a cool old bar, one down around Egg City Harbor, etc.

Also breweries in Red Bank, in Hoboken, "Blue Collar" in Vineland, Heavyweight in Ocean...

I seem to remember that Climax was the first brewery after Vernon Valley?

30. dennis3951

I have a Garden State Craft Brewers Guild tee shirt from 93 or 94. It lists10 brew pubs, Basil T's in Red Bank, Bernardsville Stone Tavern and Brewery in Bernardsville OOB, Gaslight in So Orange, Harvest Moon in New Brunswick, J.J. Bitting Brewing in Woodbridge, Long Valley Pub & Brewery in Long Valley, Pizzeria Uno Chicago Grill and Brewery in Metuchen OOB. The Ship Inn Restaurant and Brewery in Milford, Trap Rock Brewery in Berkeley Heights and Triumph Brewery in Princeton. Only 5 breweries are listed, Flying Fish in Cherry Hill, Hoboken Brewing in Hoboken OOB, Jersey Jim's Brewing in Hillsborough OOB, Red Bank Brewing in Red Bank OOB and Riverhorse in Lambertville. I guess Climax and Heavyweight and others weren't members of the guild.

Jacobier10 and Mrstiffington like this.
  31. jesskidden

Society

Yeah, those are some of the "north central" brewpubs I was trying to remember...

Damn, Pizza Uno, J. J. Bitting and Harvest Moon - those were the Middlesex County breweries I probably visited the most when I lived up there. :grin:

I think Climax (Dave Hoffman) stays out of the org's? And "93/94" might have been too early for Heavyweight?

dennis3951 likes this.
  32. SPRichard

SPRichard Devotee (412) Apr 26, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

RobHB and dennis3951 like this.
  33. dennis3951

I got my dates wrong Trap Rock did not open until 96 so the t-shirt had to come after that.

34. RobHB

Same for me. Had my wedding rehearsal dinner at Harvest Moon ages ago, too, since my wife and I met at Rutgers and got married on campus at Kirkpatrick Chapel.

Sadly, Uno closed a couple of years ago and is now a Tilted Kilt (which has a decent selection of NJ brews).

35. emandrisdad

emandrisdad Initiate (115) Sep 30, 2002 New Jersey

Tilted Kilt is already out of business at that location

36. jesskidden

Society

I'd heard they shut down the in-house brewery but thought the PU restaurant stayed open. (I hated that pizza, only stopped in for a beer while reading a copy of the free beer paper while coming or going on Rt. 1). So, both Uno and Tilted Kilt are closed. I guess I haven't been to Joe Canal's or Vintage Vinyl up there for awhile...:grin:

RobHB likes this.
  37. M-Fox24

Trader

38. Brian_Lynch

Brian_Lynch Initiate (112) Nov 18, 2014 New York

How are those Double Nickel lagers? Anyone try them?

39. RobHB

Brian_Lynch likes this.
  40. jake92691

jake92691 Initiate (64) Nov 25, 2014 New Jersey

Their vienna lager is one of my favorite lagers.

Brian_Lynch and jesskidden like this.